You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*
Started by frosted_flake
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Count me in. I'm rescheduling from June to September since I won't be applying this cycle I figured I may give myself more studying time.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I plan on using @mcatjelly 's study plan. I am ready to knock this thing out!
Time to put in the work. I will be doing a 100 day study plan adapted from SN2ed and MCATjelly. I'll add an extra 10 days to that to squeeze in 3 more full length test.I plan on using @mcatjelly 's study plan. I am ready to knock this thing out!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken a diagnostic yet? I have not taken organic chemistry 2 or physics 2 and I got a 501. I was also a bit rushed so I think I am in a good place score wise... my state schools have an average MCAT score of ~510.
That's a good score and still have a few months to improve. Have you finished content review ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have not started content review yet either and it has been years (about 3) since I took general chemistry!
It's been 5 years since I took o Chem and physics and about 4 for biochem. So need to brush up quite a bit but feel we have enough time.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So I am going through the EK in lecture questions at the end of the chapters (not the 30 minute exams) and I am missing 1-2 per 8-10 questions. Not yet sure if I should be worried or not.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You should be solid come test day. Just make note of what you got wrong but seems good to me so far. How many hours are you studying per daySo I am going through the EK in lecture questions at the end of the chapters (not the 30 minute exams) and I am missing 1-2 per 8-10 questions. Not yet sure if I should be worried or not.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Still haven't registered, but I was aiming for the 10th
Do it! We need more folks to foster some discussion over here [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You should be solid come test day. Just make note of what you got wrong but seems good to me so far. How many hours are you studying per day
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Anywhere from 2-6 depending on productivity. I sometimes can get through 3 chapters/day of the bio material since it was my major.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted647690
Do it! We need more folks to foster some discussion over here [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm having a hard time with the $300 registration fee when I just dropped like $500 on MCAT prep. My bank account drained. I don't even know if I'll have sufficient funds to apply next cycle lol
I'm having a hard time with the $300 registration fee when I just dropped like $500 on MCAT prep. My bank account drained. I don't even know if I'll have sufficient funds to apply next cycle lol
What prep books are you using?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Count me in!
I just recently bought the EK books. Hopefully, they work for me as a non trad.
I just recently bought the EK books. Hopefully, they work for me as a non trad.
I switched from using the Kaplan books over to EK. I took classes such as chemistry about 3 years ago so I needed a thorough review. I have been pleased overall so far.Count me in!
I just recently bought the EK books. Hopefully, they work for me as a non trad.
I switched from using the Kaplan books over to EK. I took classes such as chemistry about 3 years ago so I needed a thorough review. I have been pleased overall so far.
Awesome! Then I won't worry so much. I'll probably supplement what I don't grasp with Khan Academy.
Definitely check out the MCATjelly study guide in the MCAT sub-forums. Let me know if you need help finding it!Awesome! Then I won't worry so much. I'll probably supplement what I don't grasp with Khan Academy.
I am only taking notes on the things that I know I will not remember and I plan to review that notebook on the days that I review exams. I am making equation sheets for each subject as I go along as well.Alright guys, took my last final today. I guess I'll start studying tomorrow? I have a schedule. But I'm not sure, do people do stuff like take notes as they study? Make Anki cards? Keep a log? I want to be prepared.
D
deleted647690
I am only taking notes on the things that I know I will not remember and I plan to review that notebook on the days that I review exams. I am making equation sheets for each subject as I go along as well.
I guess I'll do the same and just kind of make Anki cards on stuff that seems important
I guess I'll do the same and just kind of make Anki cards on stuff that seems important
One thing I would suggest is that when you're making Anki cards or writing notes is that you make sure you're learning and creating them as concepts. It's much more beneficial to think of things conceptually than to just do rote memorization.
Hey everyone! I just signed up for Sept. 10th! Looking forward to working with all of you this summer.
I'll be using a combination of 9th EK series, 2016 TBR (excluding verbal and psych), TPR psych/soc, and a TPRH verbal book.
Having said that, I'm a little conflicted as to how I should approach my content review because I've been out of school for 3 years. I was advised to use TBR as my main content review because of how detailed the books are and they're supposed to be great for people that haven't had any prereq exposure in quite some time. I started with TBR Gen. Chem CH1. and would read the examples and solutions without attempting to do the examples myself. I later went on SDN and other members advised that you should be attempting to do the examples first before looking at the solutions. My problem is that since I forgot most of the content I don't even know how to begin attempting the examples without looking at the solutions. I feel like I'm not getting much done just by reading the solutions to the examples and then trying to attempt the passages at the end of the chapter.
Then there's the EK series. I love how concise and straight to the point the chapters are. I also like the fact that they take into account the MCAT passage questions are now based on scientific research articles. It seems that TBR didn't address that part at all from what I've seen so far. So if one was to solely rely on TBR passages then they wouldn't be ready to dissect the research based passages on the real MCAT.
I feel like if I use TBR for my main content review then I'll be good with the material but then I won't know how to apply the knowledge to research based passages on the MCAT. Then if I use EK I'm worried that when test day arrives I'll run into topics I never covered. What's a guy supposed to do?!
Sorry for the lengthy post 🙁
EDIT: @BerkReviewTeach If you can chime in, would be much appreciated!
I'll be using a combination of 9th EK series, 2016 TBR (excluding verbal and psych), TPR psych/soc, and a TPRH verbal book.
Having said that, I'm a little conflicted as to how I should approach my content review because I've been out of school for 3 years. I was advised to use TBR as my main content review because of how detailed the books are and they're supposed to be great for people that haven't had any prereq exposure in quite some time. I started with TBR Gen. Chem CH1. and would read the examples and solutions without attempting to do the examples myself. I later went on SDN and other members advised that you should be attempting to do the examples first before looking at the solutions. My problem is that since I forgot most of the content I don't even know how to begin attempting the examples without looking at the solutions. I feel like I'm not getting much done just by reading the solutions to the examples and then trying to attempt the passages at the end of the chapter.
Then there's the EK series. I love how concise and straight to the point the chapters are. I also like the fact that they take into account the MCAT passage questions are now based on scientific research articles. It seems that TBR didn't address that part at all from what I've seen so far. So if one was to solely rely on TBR passages then they wouldn't be ready to dissect the research based passages on the real MCAT.
I feel like if I use TBR for my main content review then I'll be good with the material but then I won't know how to apply the knowledge to research based passages on the MCAT. Then if I use EK I'm worried that when test day arrives I'll run into topics I never covered. What's a guy supposed to do?!
Sorry for the lengthy post 🙁
EDIT: @BerkReviewTeach If you can chime in, would be much appreciated!
Last edited:
I am nearing the end of content review and considering taking an old AAMC exam just to get the first time jitters out of the way and see how I do🙂
Thoughts anyone?
Thoughts anyone?
Hey everyone! I just signed up for Sept. 10th! Looking forward to working with all of you this summer.
I'll be using a combination of 9th EK series, 2016 TBR (excluding verbal and psych), TPR psych/soc, and a TPRH verbal book.
Having said that, I'm a little conflicted as to how I should approach my content review because I've been out of school for 3 years. I was advised to use TBR as my main content review because of how detailed the books are and they're supposed to be great for people that haven't had any prereq exposure in quite some time. I started with TBR Gen. Chem CH1. and would read the examples and solutions without attempting to do the examples myself. I later went on SDN and other members advised that you should be attempting to do the examples first before looking at the solutions. My problem is that since I forgot most of the content I don't even know how to begin attempting the examples without looking at the solutions. I feel like I'm not getting much done just by reading the solutions to the examples and then trying to attempt the passages at the end of the chapter.
Then there's the EK series. I love how concise and straight to the point the chapters are. I also like the fact that they take into account the MCAT passage questions are now based on scientific research articles. It seems that TBR didn't address that part at all from what I've seen so far. So if one was to solely rely on TBR passages then they wouldn't be ready to dissect the research based passages on the real MCAT.
I feel like if I use TBR for my main content review then I'll be good with the material but then I won't know how to apply the knowledge to research based passages on the MCAT. Then if I use EK I'm worried that when test day arrives I'll run into topics I never covered. What's a guy supposed to do?!
Sorry for the lengthy post 🙁
EDIT: @BerkReviewTeach If you can chime in, would be much appreciated!
I recommend watching the Khan Academy videos for the subject you're on while using EK. It seems to be working really well for me. The EK questions are supposed to be very representative of the exam itself. But there is nothing wrong with using both books. Just read the chapter in TBR then EK.
Hey @Indivimind , the MCATjelly study plan on here is excellent. I highly recommend it! It breaks down everything from content review to practice exams!
I'm applying to DO. My stats are probably competitive for MD (3.7/3.8) but I would really like to apply this cycle. If I get crickets I will apply jointly next year.
Same here
Hi everyone,
I'll be done with my MCAT / app submission by August and I'm hoping to give back to the community by teaching. I have a short biochem series that I would like to teach where I review high-yield parts of every metabolic pathway for the test.
I want this to be completely free. I imagine hosting 1 hour blocks over Adobe Connect. Just wondering if anyone would be interested? PM me if so! Just posting here because I thought it might be useful review for those in the last month, especially who would like to review more biochem. Metabolic pathways are the foundation for a lot of the C/P and B/B passages which is why I'm focusing on it.
Happy Sunday 🙂
I'll be done with my MCAT / app submission by August and I'm hoping to give back to the community by teaching. I have a short biochem series that I would like to teach where I review high-yield parts of every metabolic pathway for the test.
I want this to be completely free. I imagine hosting 1 hour blocks over Adobe Connect. Just wondering if anyone would be interested? PM me if so! Just posting here because I thought it might be useful review for those in the last month, especially who would like to review more biochem. Metabolic pathways are the foundation for a lot of the C/P and B/B passages which is why I'm focusing on it.
Happy Sunday 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't find a September 1st thread, so it looks like I'll be joining you guys! Hello!
I have been averaging about 125/126 on each practice section I have been taking. I find that when I am reviewing the questions, it is over silly mistakes and I was stuck between two answer choices (then I always end up picking the wrong one) What gives??
If this didn't happen I could easily be scoring 127 or higher on the sections. I don't know if I am rushing, anxious or a combination of both.
If this didn't happen I could easily be scoring 127 or higher on the sections. I don't know if I am rushing, anxious or a combination of both.
It depends on the practice material, but generally people do much better on the real exam than they do on the practice exams from the test prep companies.
I'm not sure I'm going to take it on 9/10...I've still got physics this summer and volunteering and work and its difficult to squeeze MCAT prep in. I am going to take a full length practice exam around the end of this month and may delay...my bio, chem, a/w, p/s are set, but my ochem and biochem and physics are still in need of repair and I don't think I'll have the time to fix by 9/10.
I'm not sure I'm going to take it on 9/10...I've still got physics this summer and volunteering and work and its difficult to squeeze MCAT prep in. I am going to take a full length practice exam around the end of this month and may delay...my bio, chem, a/w, p/s are set, but my ochem and biochem and physics are still in need of repair and I don't think I'll have the time to fix by 9/10.
Started studying this week for 9/10. Pretty much using NextStep's content outline and some old PR review books/PR science workbook, old textbooks and some open source texts. Also taking a 6 week Gross Anat course starting next monday in a special master's program. I've got my work cut out for me... Best of luck to all.
Officially rescheduled my MCAT for this date! Have been hitting the books hard and plan to continue throughout the summer 🙂
You can try watching Khan Academy videos for content review. They helped me in physics when my prof wasn't the best at teaching.I REALLY HATE PHYSICS.
🙁
I REALLY HATE PHYSICS.
🙁
(I'm hopeless at physics) I used Kaplan's physics book and it worked for me! Also supplemented with Brightstorm/Khan videos
After September when are the next MCAT dates? January?
I guess if that's the case I'm joining you guys.
I guess if that's the case I'm joining you guys.
Yep, next dates won't be until January!After September when are the next MCAT dates? January?
I guess if that's the case I'm joining you guys.
I agree, Kaplan is great!! I haven't started physics review since I just finished it up in school but will be using my Kaplan book!(I'm hopeless at physics) I used Kaplan's physics book and it worked for me! Also supplemented with Brightstorm/Khan videos
Yep, next dates won't be until January!
Thanks. September 10th is the last date correct? For some reason I wish they had a later September date. A 3 month buffer makes me feel comfortable lol.
I was going to take it earlier in the summer, but I won't be able to finish my studying. Sucks I need to postpone my app till next cycle.
Yes, the 10th is the last date. Lol, I know how you feel! 3 months is plenty of time for me to crack down since I've been on-again-off-again studying since February. I'm sure postponing will work out in your favor! I struggled deciding whether or not to take a gap year and apply next year and in the end decided that it would be the best option for me 🙂Thanks. September 10th is the last date correct? For some reason I wish they had a later September date. A 3 month buffer makes me feel comfortable lol.
I was going to take it earlier in the summer, but I won't be able to finish my studying. Sucks I need to postpone my app till next cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, the 10th is the last date. Lol, I know how you feel! 3 months is plenty of time for me to crack down since I've been on-again-off-again studying since February. I'm sure postponing will work out in your favor! I struggled deciding whether or not to take a gap year and apply next year and in the end decided that it would be the best option for me 🙂
Same with the on and off studying. Coincidentally, I've been studying since around February too. How do you plan on relearning the stuff from back then? I need to really briefly relearn the material since it's been a while (especially the physical sciences/orgo).
Same with the on and off studying. Coincidentally, I've been studying since around February too. How do you plan on relearning the stuff from back then? I need to really briefly relearn the material since it's been a while (especially the physical sciences/orgo).
Same!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I am doing a lot of content review for orgo and the physical sciences, I have Kaplan review books as well as textbooks but I decided not to read my textbook because theres just so much information. On top of studying from the Kaplan review books, I took a prep course so I'll be taking section tests to test my knowledge as well as the section q-bank quizzes/tests from aamc!Same with the on and off studying. Coincidentally, I've been studying since around February too. How do you plan on relearning the stuff from back then? I need to really briefly relearn the material since it's been a while (especially the physical sciences/orgo).
Just finished a full length and my score increased 9 points after starting some content review!