Official Should I Delay my MCAT test date Thread!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this seems to be a common question. For those of you that are thinking about delaying. Please post here instead of the main MCAT discussions page. Avoid clutter for the OCD SDNers :laugh:
:luck: to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I posted this in the 8/12 MCAT thread, but might as well post it here as well.

I am currently enrolled in Orgo II while trying to study for the MCAT. Studying for both, for me, has not been easy. The class is almost over, but we're being bombarded with tests over the next few weeks (2 midterm and a cumulative final). The class ends August 3rd, and I am scheduled to take the MCAT August 12th

Part of me wants to just get the MCAT over with, but another part of me wants to hold off until I can focus more on the MCAT and less on this stupid class. Do y'all think postponing it to a later date is the right thing to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

@ISU, have you taken practice tests? I think that would be the best way to determine whether you should hold off on taking it. If you feel decently comfortable with the material, you could always push your test off to a later August date or early September date. Usually schools won't have you doing too much by then, so if you devote a ton of your time to studying for the MCAT, you can do well.

I made a thread about this, but I might as well post here.

This is probably a dumb question since I've only taken TPR tests, but I would like everyone's opinion of this.

I've taken 8 TPR tests so far, and my science scores have been decent. It's mainly verbal that's been killing me. Here are my tests so far:

1 = 27; 10 PS, 7 V, 10 BS
2 = 26; 10 PS, 5 V, 11 BS
3 = 32; 13 PS, 8 V, 11 BS
4 = 31; 10 PS, 9 V, 12 BS
5 = 33; 12 PS, 8 V, 13 BS
6 = 33; 11 PS, 10 V, 12 BS
7 = 31; 13 PS, 7 V, 11 BS
8 = 27; 10 PS, 6 V, 11 BS

I haven't gone over test 8 yet since I took it this morning, but I'm really worried since my score dropped a ton. My test is on August 19, so I do have a bit of time to improve, but the verbal is killing me. I realized that time was an issue since I tended to rush through passages at the end and a bulk of my mistakes were at the 6th and 7th passage, so I read faster. Now I seem to get things wrong because I just don't understand the main idea/central arguements, which was never an issue before. I have the EK books, and I've gotten an 8 on the first one and a 7 on the second, close to the 7/8 border though.. I really don't want to have to delay the test, but at this rate, if I can't do well on 1 section, then there is no point for me to set myself up for failure.

What do you guys think? Should I wait and take an AAMC test before deciding, or is this proof that I need to reschedule my test date?

Thanks, Mohad. Unfortunately, I have not taken any practice tests yet. Seeing that it's crunch time for my Summer class, I won't have to time to take many of the AAMC ones (though maybe I can squeeze 1 or 2 in).

Also, I should note that I graduated in May. So, I will be applying for jobs after this class is over. I wish I could take some time off and dedicate my time solely to the MCAT, but someone has to pay back my student loans...might as well be me lol. Oh, and I don't plan on applying until next cycle.

In terms of your verbal scores, I was gonna suggest looking at the EK 101 passages book, but you're one step ahead of me on that. I'll let someone else with more expertise help you on that one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Mohad. Unfortunately, I have not taken any practice tests yet. Seeing that it's crunch time for my Summer class, I won't have to time to take many of the AAMC ones (though maybe I can squeeze 1 or 2 in).

Also, I should note that I graduated in May. So, I will be applying for jobs after this class is over. I wish I could take some time off and dedicate my time solely to the MCAT, but someone has to pay back my student loans...might as well be me lol. Oh, and I don't plan on applying until next cycle.

In terms of your verbal scores, I was gonna suggest looking at the EK 101 passages book, but you're one step ahead of me on that. I'll let someone else with more expertise help you on that one!

If your not applying until next cycle, I do not recommend taking the test prematurely. "Just getting it over with" can be a serious mistake (one that I made myself). Take the time and fully prepare to the point where you are truly confident. Good Luck!

@ISU, have you taken practice tests? I think that would be the best way to determine whether you should hold off on taking it. If you feel decently comfortable with the material, you could always push your test off to a later August date or early September date. Usually schools won't have you doing too much by then, so if you devote a ton of your time to studying for the MCAT, you can do well.

This is probably a dumb question since I've only taken TPR tests, but I would like everyone's opinion of this.

I've taken 8 TPR tests so far, and my science scores have been decent. It's mainly verbal that's been killing me. Here are my tests so far:

I haven't gone over test 8 yet since I took it this morning, but I'm really worried since my score dropped a ton. My test is on August 19, so I do have a bit of time to improve, but the verbal is killing me. I realized that time was an issue since I tended to rush through passages at the end and a bulk of my mistakes were at the 6th and 7th passage, so I read faster. Now I seem to get things wrong because I just don't understand the main idea/central arguements, which was never an issue before. I have the EK books, and I've gotten an 8 on the first one and a 7 on the second, close to the 7/8 border though.. I really don't want to have to delay the test, but at this rate, if I can't do well on 1 section, then there is no point for me to set myself up for failure.

What do you guys think? Should I wait and take an AAMC test before deciding, or is this proof that I need to reschedule my test date?

You are doing a great job so far! your princeton review scores are off the roof! I would keep your test date and keep reviewing. TPR verbal is tough, if you can keep getting 8s and 9s on it, you will be good shape come test day.

I'm registered to write on 8/18 and I'm not even close to being done with my content review yet. I was working full time, volunteering, sports and taking a prep course, but I haven't done it justice since I couldn't keep up with it. The first time I took FL was AAMC 10 and I couldn't even break a 20. Two months later and I'm still around that range. I wish that I could delay my test date to September, but due to some personal reasons that's not an option for me.

I'll be entering my senior year and because I'll be doing a thesis, I only have 3 lecture- based courses in first semester and only two in second semester. Also I can now finally take physiology/ anatomy during these terms. Based on this circumstance, should I just cancel the test date to February and maybe re-write in May before applying?

I just feel like I've wasted so much money on prep course and in registering for the MCAT when I'm not even gonna write it in August!

I'm registered to write on 8/18 and I'm not even close to being done with my content review yet. I was working full time, volunteering, sports and taking a prep course, but I haven't done it justice since I couldn't keep up with it. The first time I took FL was AAMC 10 and I couldn't even break a 20. Two months later and I'm still around that range. I wish that I could delay my test date to September, but due to some personal reasons that's not an option for me.

I'll be entering my senior year and because I'll be doing a thesis, I only have 3 lecture- based courses in first semester and only two in second semester. Also I can now finally take physiology/ anatomy during these terms. Based on this circumstance, should I just cancel the test date to February and maybe re-write in May before applying?

I just feel like I've wasted so much money on prep course and in registering for the MCAT when I'm not even gonna write it in August!

You did not waste money. You learned something valuable about time management.

I will advise you to not take any more AAMC full lengths. Taking the MCAT with school is not recommended. The MCAT should be your one and only focus.

Taking anatomy will not be helpful, phys will be helpful for bio though.

Use your resources wisely. Stop spending ages with content review. Pick up EK1001 questions for all subjects except bio (unless you're really weak with bio). Build a foundation, then move to TBR and TPR.

I am fairly positive that you cannot move tests from one calendar year to another. Thus, the solution here would be to go and write on Aug. 18th. Go in with full intent on scoring it. Give it your all. You may cry. I know I wanted to after my first test. I scored mine, and got a 30 by some miracle.

This experience will be beneficial in preparing you for studying.
Good luck! :luck:

Mine is scheduled on 8/19.

I made terrible mistake of thinking that I could handle research+hospital volunteer+summer school+mcat at the same time (+slacking off a bit). I am not even half way ready. Practice test? None :scared:

I am probably going to move mine all the way to the January next year.

If you are getting these scores in PR, You are definitely on your way to get a 35+ on the real MCAT. Princeton review practice test are hard.

Hey guys. My target score for the mcats is a 34. So far I have taken only 2 AAMC exams, I have not been hitting my target score and my planned test date for the mcats is August 18th.

AAMC 3

11/11/10 - 32

AAMC 4

10/11/10- 31

I am surprised with my verbal scores. I have been averaging 9-10s on the 4 Ek 101 verbal section tests that I have taken. I still have to do the other 10 section tests. Normally I miss around 10 on the EK 101 verbal section tests but I miss around 6-7 on the 2 AAMC exams that I have done.

I don't know how to bring up my BS and PS practice scores up to 12s. What should I do?

I have done all my AAMC exams under real test conditions in the library.

If I don't score a 34 on the real MCATs I am def. doing a retake. I have worked too hard getting my gpa up to a 3.8 at a top 20 school for me to throw it all away with an mcat score of less than a 34. If I still don't score a 34 my second time, then I will take the exam a third time. I am just going to be a junior in the fall so I have 2 more chances next year.

Mine is scheduled on 8/19.

I made terrible mistake of thinking that I could handle research+hospital volunteer+summer school+mcat at the same time (+slacking off a bit). I am not even half way ready. Practice test? None :scared:

I am probably going to move mine all the way to the January next year.

If you haven't had the time to properly prepare, I would think it be best for you to wait until you are ready to rock the 'cat. No shame in waiting. Better than writing and getting a bad score you don't want.

Hey guys. My target score for the mcats is a 34. So far I have taken only 2 AAMC exams, I have not been hitting my target score and my planned test date for the mcats is August 18th.

AAMC 3

11/11/10 - 32

AAMC 4

10/11/10- 31

I am surprised with my verbal scores. I have been averaging 9-10s on the 4 Ek 101 verbal section tests that I have taken. I still have to do the other 10 section tests. Normally I miss around 10 on the EK 101 verbal section tests but I miss around 6-7 on the 2 AAMC exams that I have done.

I don't know how to bring up my BS and PS practice scores up to 12s. What should I do?

If I don't score a 34 on the real MCATs I am def. doing a retake. I have worked too hard getting my gpa up to a 3.8 at a top 20 school for me to throw it all away with an mcat score of less than a 34. If I still don't score a 34 my second time, then I will take the exam a third time. I am just going to be a junior in the fall so I have 2 more chances next year.

You do not need an MCAT score of 34 to be competitive... a 31-32 will be awesome with your GPA. Choosing to re-write anything greater than a 30 which is balanced is foolish. You risk losing points, and you're rolling the dice.

Good luck!:luck:

You did not waste money. You learned something valuable about time management.

I will advise you to not take any more AAMC full lengths. Taking the MCAT with school is not recommended. The MCAT should be your one and only focus.

Taking anatomy will not be helpful, phys will be helpful for bio though.

Use your resources wisely. Stop spending ages with content review. Pick up EK1001 questions for all subjects except bio (unless you're really weak with bio). Build a foundation, then move to TBR and TPR.

I am fairly positive that you cannot move tests from one calendar year to another. Thus, the solution here would be to go and write on Aug. 18th. Go in with full intent on scoring it. Give it your all. You may cry. I know I wanted to after my first test. I scored mine, and got a 30 by some miracle.

This experience will be beneficial in preparing you for studying.

Thanks CodeBlu.

But I guess I'm exactly in the same boat as bjh0609; I'm not even half way done with the content review. And yes, I can't delay to next year -- I would have to cancel the test date (get $120 refund) and re-register. Another slight problem is that even though I will officially be done working by the end of this month, I'm in the process of publishing a paper and most likely, everything can't be done within the next week.

Would it really be much harder to study MCAT + take 2 courses + EC + thesis, compared to extreme cramming that I would have to do right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks CodeBlu.

But I guess I'm exactly in the same boat as bjh0609; I'm not even half way done with the content review. And yes, I can't delay to next year -- I would have to cancel the test date (get $120 refund) and re-register. Another slight problem is that even though I will officially be done working by the end of this month, I'm in the process of publishing a paper and most likely, everything can't be done within the next week.

Would it really be much harder to study MCAT + take 2 courses + EC + thesis, compared to extreme cramming that I would have to do right now?

MCAT + Thesis + EC is why I had to re-take... first time I got a 30... with an 8 in that wretched PS.... second time I got a 37...with a 12 in PS.... sooooooo yeah.

If you are getting these scores in PR, You are definitely on your way to get a 35+ on the real MCAT. Princeton review practice test are hard.

haha, I'm glad you have confidence in me. I'm just worried about verbal cause of the whole "screening" issue. I know I am capable of doing well on verbal since I've gotten a 9 and a 10 before, but I think I do well, and end up doing poorly.

Just a quick piece of advice, if you're contemplating pushing back your MCAT, do it! If you're not confident then you wont do well.

I'll be taking the MCAT in Feb 2012 since I want to take my sweet time studying :laugh:

You do not need an MCAT score of 34 to be competitive... a 31-32 will be awesome with your GPA. Choosing to re-write anything greater than a 30 which is balanced is foolish. You risk losing points, and you're rolling the dice.

I realize that with a 30 I would be perfectly competitive but a 31-32 won't get me into schools like Baylor, Emory, UT-SW, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern. Those are the schools that I can see myself spending the next 4 years after college.

MCAT + Thesis + EC is why I had to re-take... first time I got a 30... with an 8 in that wretched PS.... second time I got a 37...with a 12 in PS.... sooooooo yeah.
I know what you guys mean. I take the mcats in 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks time I have to finish writing an article that is going to be published, go to an economics research convention that lasts for 4 days, finish up my charity volunteer work and TAKE THE MCATS!!!. :eek:

I realize that with a 30 I would be perfectly competitive but a 31-32 won't get me into schools like Baylor, Emory, UT-SW, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern. Those are the schools that I can see myself spending the next 4 years after college.

I know what you guys mean. I take the mcats in 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks time I have to finish writing an article that is going to be published, go to an economics research convention that lasts for 4 days, finish up my charity volunteer work and TAKE THE MCATS!!!. :eek:

There is no such things as the MCATS.... it is... the MCAT... I would die if it was the MCATS.... that means it's the medical college admissions TESTS... as in plural... more than one.

Good luck!

if you feel like you could use the extra time to study, then go for it. go into exam prepared, know your stuff, and do very well!! :)

I hate to be attentionwhoring, for lack of a better term, but CB, what do you think of my scenario that I posted above. Am I just being overly cautious for no reason, or is my concern legitimate?

Take AAMC tests. You're scoring decently on TPR tests. They are much harder in comparison to the AAMC tests. The TPR tests will dehumanize you. But you will be better for it.

I recommend you take AAMC 5, 8, 7, 10, 9, 11 in that order. :luck:

my question isn't whether to postpone or not. but WHEN to postpone to. i've been hitting a solid 13 and 12 avg (pretty much on the dot) for aamc 3, 4, 5, 7, 9. my verbal however has been between 6-9., and more towards a 7.5. i think i'm just letting my nerves get to me because i'm scoring 10s in EK verbal doing each passage under ~7.5 minutes. i'd like to take it ASAP so that i don't forget my sciences, but i'd like to improve my verbal. is mid august a realistic possibility assuming i HAMMER verbal away?

AAMC 3

11/11/10 - 32

AAMC 4

10/11/10- 31

The verbal scores are the same thing I experienced. I always got a 9 on the EK 101 passages and always missed the 10 by one question. But on the AAMC tests I always got an 11. I think they are a little more difficult and ambiguous. They also play games with the literal wording that the MCAT does not.

And no worries I started at a 33 and 31 for my first two AAMC practices. Afterwards I shot up to a 38 and never went below a 34 on the rest of my tests. Just continue to practice and your score will go up. Even if you're not learning anything new in your studies, practice effects alone will increase your scores.

I'm also going to be a junior next fall and really don't want any score less than a 34 :D

Hey guys! I'm so glad this thread is here, I've got some major concerns about my upcoming test date.

My test date is September 2nd (I'm applying next cycle, not this one), so I've got a solid 5 weeks left to study. That said, I'm almost done with my Kaplan on-site course, but have not really self-studied much. I've attended every class, paid close attention to each lecture, and have learned a surprisingly large amount from them (and have done a small amount of verbal practice, mostly scoring in the 10-11 range). In terms of self-studying, I've maybe only read through a 1/4 of the content for the MCAT (a horribly low number considering I'm 5 weeks out), but have a solid grasp of material that I have not read as well. I'm planning on doing hardcore content review alongside practice exams for the next five weeks, devoting at least 6 hours per day to studying.

My practice scores so far are:

Kaplan Diagnostic (early June)
PS: 7
VR: 11
BS: 8
Composite: 26

Kaplan FL 1 (2 weeks ago)
PS: 8
VR: 9 (ran out of time, I was on track for a 12/13 but didn't get to an entire passage, timing has gotten better with EK101 practice exams, which I scored a 10 on)
BS: 9

So yeah, essentially, I've been studying -not- intensely for the past month and a half (attending lectures, doing a small amount of reading, and a bit of practice here and there), and have five weeks left until my 9/2 exam date. Considering where I'm at, will five weeks be enough time to study sufficiently for the MCAT if I buckle down and get at least 6 hours in per day? In terms of content review I've done so far, it has mostly been plugging in content holes (concepts/material I've never seen before), and many of the holes have been at least partially filled in.

Thank you very much for your input! Hopefully it'll be enough time to do well... I don't really have the option to postpone the test, but will do so if I absolutely must.

my question isn't whether to postpone or not. but WHEN to postpone to. i've been hitting a solid 13 and 12 avg (pretty much on the dot) for aamc 3, 4, 5, 7, 9. my verbal however has been between 6-9., and more towards a 7.5. i think i'm just letting my nerves get to me because i'm scoring 10s in EK verbal doing each passage under ~7.5 minutes. i'd like to take it ASAP so that i don't forget my sciences, but i'd like to improve my verbal. is mid august a realistic possibility assuming i HAMMER verbal away?

Keep working on verbal. However, until you're scoring 10's consistently, I wouldn't write if that is what your goal is.

Hey guys! I'm so glad this thread is here, I've got some major concerns about my upcoming test date.

My test date is September 2nd (I'm applying next cycle, not this one), so I've got a solid 5 weeks left to study. That said, I'm almost done with my Kaplan on-site course, but have not really self-studied much. I've attended every class, paid close attention to each lecture, and have learned a surprisingly large amount from them (and have done a small amount of verbal practice, mostly scoring in the 10-11 range). In terms of self-studying, I've maybe only read through a 1/4 of the content for the MCAT (a horribly low number considering I'm 5 weeks out), but have a solid grasp of material that I have not read as well. I'm planning on doing hardcore content review alongside practice exams for the next five weeks, devoting at least 6 hours per day to studying.

My practice scores so far are:

Kaplan Diagnostic (early June)
PS: 7
VR: 11
BS: 8
Composite: 26

Kaplan FL 1 (2 weeks ago)
PS: 8
VR: 9 (ran out of time, I was on track for a 12/13 but didn't get to an entire passage, timing has gotten better with EK101 practice exams, which I scored a 10 on)
BS: 9

So yeah, essentially, I've been studying -not- intensely for the past month and a half (attending lectures, doing a small amount of reading, and a bit of practice here and there), and have five weeks left until my 9/2 exam date. Considering where I'm at, will five weeks be enough time to study sufficiently for the MCAT if I buckle down and get at least 6 hours in per day? In terms of content review I've done so far, it has mostly been plugging in content holes (concepts/material I've never seen before), and many of the holes have been at least partially filled in.

Thank you very much for your input! Hopefully it'll be enough time to do well... I don't really have the option to postpone the test, but will do so if I absolutely must.

You need to do more practice tests. You've only done 2 and your test is in 5 weeks? You should try to finish at the MINIMUM 8-9 practice tests. With the last few being AAMC practice tests.

Good luck!

Keep working on verbal. However, until you're scoring 10's consistently, I wouldn't write if that is what your goal is.

You need to do more practice tests. You've only done 2 and your test is in 5 weeks? You should try to finish at the MINIMUM 8-9 practice tests. With the last few being AAMC practice tests.

Good luck!

Thanks, CodeBlu! So you think that 5 weeks of hardcore studying will be enough to tackle the beast after about a month and a half of lighter studying? I'm just worried this won't be enough time even if I do dedicate myself fully...

Hey CodeBlu, so I just took Kaplan FL 2 and received a 34 (PS 11, VR 11, BS 12) by some ridiculous miracle. Does that put me in a good spot for five weeks out? Or is Kaplan's FL 2 known to be easier (i.e. diagnostic and FL 1 are super hard so kids feel like they make a huge leap for FL 2, which has an easier curve?) I did feel much more comfortable with the test and more familiar with certain areas of material, but I also feel that the PS section definitely targeted areas of strength for me. So yeah... does a balanced 34 on my second practice test five weeks out mean that five weeks of solid studying will be sufficient to do well on the 9/2 MCAT? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks, CodeBlu! So you think that 5 weeks of hardcore studying will be enough to tackle the beast after about a month and a half of lighter studying? I'm just worried this won't be enough time even if I do dedicate myself fully...

Hey CodeBlu, so I just took Kaplan FL 2 and received a 34 (PS 11, VR 11, BS 12) by some ridiculous miracle. Does that put me in a good spot for five weeks out? Or is Kaplan's FL 2 known to be easier (i.e. diagnostic and FL 1 are super hard so kids feel like they make a huge leap for FL 2, which has an easier curve?) I did feel much more comfortable with the test and more familiar with certain areas of material, but I also feel that the PS section definitely targeted areas of strength for me. So yeah... does a balanced 34 on my second practice test five weeks out mean that five weeks of solid studying will be sufficient to do well on the 9/2 MCAT? Thanks!!

Only you can determine how well you do!

Now that being said... I don't put much faith in test prep companies practice tests. The AAMC tests have a much different feel. If you can get through most of those in the next 5 weeks, you shall be dandy!

Good luck!

Thank you CB for responding. I ended up taking another TPR test yesterday and got a 32. 14 ps, 9 V, 9 BS. I'm gonna go over it today, but from what I remember, it was pretty heavy in the stuff I haven't learned yet and am supposed to learn in this last week, like the menstrual cycle and stuf. Anyways, I appreciate the input. I will make my final verdict when I take AAMC 3 on Sat, seeing as it is supposed to be the easiest.

Only you can determine how well you do!

Now that being said... I don't put much faith in test prep companies practice tests. The AAMC tests have a much different feel. If you can get through most of those in the next 5 weeks, you shall be dandy!

Good luck!

Thanks for responding :) Oh yeah, I totally feel the same way (I'm taking it with a grain of salt), but it WAS encouraging to see my PS raw score, for example, jump from a 29/52 to a 40/52. I know it was only because it, for some lucky reason, pretty much attacked all of my strengths, but maybe it means that in the case that I do actually know the content, I tend to do okay with the critical thinking/MCAT-style questions? Maybe? I should probably try the first AAMC you recommended in the next few days to see how that feels compared to Kaplan. Now for that 3/4 of content review I have yet to do... :eek:

I have taken all of the tbr exams cbt#1-7 and my averages are as follows:

PS 8
VR 9
BS 8

~25 composite

I have already taken all of the AAMCs before and have already gone through them. This is a retake for me, so i can't use my aamc average as an accurate prediction.

How do you guys think these scores will translate? I could use some feedback

I work full-time and my test date is on September 10. I've been taking the Berkeley Review course but I feel like I really don't have enough time to study. The test is about 6 weeks away and I feel very unprepared. I've been getting 28's on my BR CBTs and 30's on the real mcat practice tests. I need to get at least a 35 with my dismal gpa and living in CA doesn't help matters. Thinking of canceling, quitting my job and committing to the MCAT full time. But I can't stand the idea of obsessing over the f--ing thing for even more months. Is it possible to raise my score that high in such a short time? The course is almost over but I still need to go back and memorize a lot of things...

:thumbup: CodeBlu the new Asst. Mod! You got my vote if they ever cast a poll :)

Haha :oops: awwww shucks! Thanks dermocrat!

I have taken all of the tbr exams cbt#1-7 and my averages are as follows:

PS 8
VR 9
BS 8

~25 composite

I have already taken all of the AAMCs before and have already gone through them. This is a retake for me, so i can't use my aamc average as an accurate prediction.

How do you guys think these scores will translate? I could use some feedback

What other practice material do you have available to you? The TBR CBTs are substantially more difficult than the actual current MCAT. That being said... was there any improvement or upward trend in your scores?

I work full-time and my test date is on September 10. I've been taking the Berkeley Review course but I feel like I really don't have enough time to study. The test is about 6 weeks away and I feel very unprepared. I've been getting 28's on my BR CBTs and 30's on the real mcat practice tests. I need to get at least a 35 with my dismal gpa and living in CA doesn't help matters. Thinking of canceling, quitting my job and committing to the MCAT full time. But I can't stand the idea of obsessing over the f--ing thing for even more months. Is it possible to raise my score that high in such a short time? The course is almost over but I still need to go back and memorize a lot of things...

Being from California is no fun when talking about medical school admissions. However, your scores are good, if not great. You still have ALOT of time. Keep your head up. Try and review as many practice problems as you can. Memorize little key facts. And keep working on your strategy.

How long are you working per week? Is it interfering with your study habits? Maybe you can speak to your boss about cutting back your hours for the interim, until you're done battling the beast. A 35 is a lofty goal, but it can be done. Just keep reviewing, and practicing verbal everyday. Don't fall into the comfort zone with it. Use it or lose it!

Good luck to all of you!:luck:

Hi. I'm a new member, but I've been lurking around this forum for sometime before I decided to join. I'm sitting for MCAT examination on Sep 2 2011 (36 days). I am self studying.

AAMC (PS/VR/BS)
5 (11/10/11) = 32 (Most recent)
4 (11/9/10) = 30 (first)
3 (10/9/10) = 29 (second)

Im getting a little worried now. I don't want these scores on my real MCAT. I want 12s across the board. I find that when I look back at the questions I realize "I should not have missed this." or a small math error tripped me up. I do a real AAMC test every week and go over what I missed. If I need to reinforce concepts I do it that week.

Am I doomed to score in this range...?

Was there a time in your preparation for the MCAT that you saw your score jump from gaining a better intuition about MCAT questions?

Another thing that is worrying me is verbal. On some verbal passages I get them all right and on other I get all but 2 or 3 wrong. It seems like I'm completely missing the point of the passage but all the answer I choose are consistent with what I thought the passage was trying to convey. Will this go away after more practice.?

Is 35 days enough to get into the 35+ range?

Same boat as you. Same state. Same AAMC scores. Research, shadow, summer school, and MCAT makes me feel like crying sometimes. I hope you come out on top. Good luck.

So. I have been studying for about 2 months now. My Kaplan diagnostic was a 21.
Ive taken 3 of the AAMC mcat practice tests and done as follows

AAMC #3 28
PS 9
VR 9
BS 10

(I took each section individually on a different day)

AAMC #4 20
PS 7
VR 6
BS 7
(To be honest, wasnt focused at all, pretty much just wanted to get through it at the end and my BS suffered)

AAMC #5 23
PS 8
VR 6
BS 9

I dont know what to do. I review what I got wrong after every exam. I was pretty lax about studying until a week ago and now I study and review every chance I get. I felt like I did way better on #5 but it didnt show at all. I have been trying to do 3-7 VR passages per day. I think the timing of the test really gets to me.

Should I move my date back? Im taking the 9/2/11 MCAT.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.
Thank you!

Hi. I'm a new member, but I've been lurking around this forum for sometime before I decided to join. I'm sitting for MCAT examination on Sep 2 2011 (36 days). I am self studying.

AAMC (PS/VR/BS)
5 (11/10/11) = 32 (Most recent)
4 (11/9/10) = 30 (first)
3 (10/9/10) = 29 (second)

Im getting a little worried now. I don't want these scores on my real MCAT. I want 12s across the board. I find that when I look back at the questions I realize "I should not have missed this." or a small math error tripped me up. I do a real AAMC test every week and go over what I missed. If I need to reinforce concepts I do it that week.

Am I doomed to score in this range...?

Was there a time in your preparation for the MCAT that you saw your score jump from gaining a better intuition about MCAT questions?

Another thing that is worrying me is verbal. On some verbal passages I get them all right and on other I get all but 2 or 3 wrong. It seems like I'm completely missing the point of the passage but all the answer I choose are consistent with what I thought the passage was trying to convey. Will this go away after more practice.?

Is 35 days enough to get into the 35+ range?

35 days is plenty of time to score highly. You are not doomed. I got better at MCAT intuition over time. For me it took a re-take to figure it out. Although a 30 to start with wasn't that bad. But, that being said... anything 32+ is competitive for most schools. Top schools like 34+, but if you get a 30+ even... it is still not the end of the world. In retrospect... no one REALLY cares where you go to med school. It might play some small factor in residency applications, but so small that most people don't think about.

As far as verbal goes... practice. Pick up an EK101. Make sure you thoroughly go over your answers.

So. I have been studying for about 2 months now. My Kaplan diagnostic was a 21.
Ive taken 3 of the AAMC mcat practice tests and done as follows

AAMC #3 28
PS 9
VR 9
BS 10

(I took each section individually on a different day)

AAMC #4 20
PS 7
VR 6
BS 7
(To be honest, wasnt focused at all, pretty much just wanted to get through it at the end and my BS suffered)

AAMC #5 23
PS 8
VR 6
BS 9

I dont know what to do. I review what I got wrong after every exam. I was pretty lax about studying until a week ago and now I study and review every chance I get. I felt like I did way better on #5 but it didnt show at all. I have been trying to do 3-7 VR passages per day. I think the timing of the test really gets to me.

Should I move my date back? Im taking the 9/2/11 MCAT.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.
Thank you!

You don't seem like you've been serious about your MCAT thus far... I don't know how much you can change that habit in just under a month. Old habits die hard they say. Plus, your scores have been dropping.. not improving.

Might I suggest you NOT break up full length tests and write them on different days. This does not simulate the actual test, and will not help you in the long run.

In a few weeks, if you feel like you aren't scoring where you want, I would post pone. If I were you... I'd postpone now. Better to be serious about prep, than not be serious.

Thanks for the advice. Its a hard decision. I think I have a couple weeks to try to improve and get money back, if I dont improve then I will postpone. Im really commiting to it. Doing 5-9 VR everyday and it seems to be getting a little better. Hopefully it works out!

This is more of a general question, but am i screwed if I thought that AAMC 3 was hard as hell? I ended up scoring a 34, which is the highest score I've gotten so far out of all the tests I've taken, but for some reason, I thought the test was difficult. Everyone said that 3 was the easiest, and TPR was far harder than it, but I still thought it was difficult. Maybe I was underestimating it. I thought the style was really weird too, as compared to TPR at least. I am gonna see what I did wrong later, but should I be worried about the harder tests like 10 and 11?

So I'm currently registered for the Aug. 18 MCAT. I'm taking the online Kaplan course. My diagnostic was a 22. I could really use a mid-30.... The first 2 months of studying this summer was going really well for me, but these last few weeks I just haven't been as intense about it. So...I still have 1/3 of the content review left with only 2 1/2 weeks until the test date. At this point, I'm not confident, so I'm pretty sure that's a good indicator that I should postpone it, though I'm not completely sure since I haven't taken any practice exams yet. I'm taking my first Kaplan full length on Tuesday, probably. Should I base my decision on this one practice exam? Or take that, and also an AAMC one, too before I decide, while keeping in mind that I have to decide before Thursday Aug 4....? I'm not applying until next summer, so I figure that there really isn't any rush to take it if I'm not completely ready.

Also, if I do postpone, I'm thinking I will just cancel it all together and re-register for January 2012. That way, I can review a little during the semester (but not a WHOLE lot, because of classes, volunteering, I'm starting research, and I also play in a varsity sport) but then really delve into the material and start taking several practice exams during the month we have off for winter break. I am a little worried, though, about losing what I've done already this summer throughout the semester...Opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If so many people re-take their MCAT, what are some reasons why we should postpone the test date if we feel unprepared?

I have my MCAT coming up this Saturday, and I am wondering what to do as far as taking the test and voiding it or canceling and taking it later. I have been getting some really crappy scores lately in the VR section, anywhere from 8-9 down to a 6 and 4 (was out of it mentally that day). My question is this:

Would you delay based off just the verbal? I think come test day I can pull of a 7-9 (I think a 8-9). I am starting junior year this fall and can wait, but I want to take it this summer before school starts up again, as I have studied all summer. My sciences are about a 23 between BS and PS and I want to get at least a 30. My reasoning is that my VR is not going to improve regardless of how much time I spend on it. What do you guys think?

This is more of a general question, but am i screwed if I thought that AAMC 3 was hard as hell? I ended up scoring a 34, which is the highest score I've gotten so far out of all the tests I've taken, but for some reason, I thought the test was difficult. Everyone said that 3 was the easiest, and TPR was far harder than it, but I still thought it was difficult. Maybe I was underestimating it. I thought the style was really weird too, as compared to TPR at least. I am gonna see what I did wrong later, but should I be worried about the harder tests like 10 and 11?

No not at all. Don't be worried about those tests until you take them. 10 and 11 are markedly different than the other tests and are more representative of the real beast you will see on test day. I would just keep going over your AAMC tests. Good luck!

So I'm currently registered for the Aug. 18 MCAT. I'm taking the online Kaplan course. My diagnostic was a 22. I could really use a mid-30.... The first 2 months of studying this summer was going really well for me, but these last few weeks I just haven't been as intense about it. So...I still have 1/3 of the content review left with only 2 1/2 weeks until the test date. At this point, I'm not confident, so I'm pretty sure that's a good indicator that I should postpone it, though I'm not completely sure since I haven't taken any practice exams yet. I'm taking my first Kaplan full length on Tuesday, probably. Should I base my decision on this one practice exam? Or take that, and also an AAMC one, too before I decide, while keeping in mind that I have to decide before Thursday Aug 4....? I'm not applying until next summer, so I figure that there really isn't any rush to take it if I'm not completely ready.

Also, if I do postpone, I'm thinking I will just cancel it all together and re-register for January 2012. That way, I can review a little during the semester (but not a WHOLE lot, because of classes, volunteering, I'm starting research, and I also play in a varsity sport) but then really delve into the material and start taking several practice exams during the month we have off for winter break. I am a little worried, though, about losing what I've done already this summer throughout the semester...Opinions?

Thanks!

You never lose what you study, not if it's long term memory. You can refresh it with 1-2 weeks of review and a few practice tests. Personally, I think juggling the MCAT with a variety of other things is not the way to go. Some people can handle it. But, I think you should live, eat and breathe MCAT for at least 6 weeks before your test. That being said, save some AAMCs to take during the semester if you do decide to post-pone.

If so many people re-take their MCAT, what are some reasons why we should postpone the test date if we feel unprepared?

Why would you put yourself through the test again if you don't have to? Many adcoms say... write the test when you're absolutely ready. However, with the advent of the new MCAT, people writing the test 2-3 times is commonplace.

I have my MCAT coming up this Saturday, and I am wondering what to do as far as taking the test and voiding it or canceling and taking it later. I have been getting some really crappy scores lately in the VR section, anywhere from 8-9 down to a 6 and 4 (was out of it mentally that day). My question is this:

Would you delay based off just the verbal? I think come test day I can pull of a 7-9 (I think a 8-9). I am starting junior year this fall and can wait, but I want to take it this summer before school starts up again, as I have studied all summer. My sciences are about a 23 between BS and PS and I want to get at least a 30. My reasoning is that my VR is not going to improve regardless of how much time I spend on it. What do you guys think?

I would delay my test if I was shaky on verbal. Generally the verbal on the live MCAT tends to be "harder and longer", but in actuality it is roughly the same length as the practice tests. Get comfortable with verbal, it is most often the reason why people re-write. If you're not good with verbal and your test is coming up, I would suggest writing the test to see what it is like. I'm a firm believer in never voiding... I almost voided a 37... (that would have been stupid)

Yeah, I really don't want to study MCAT during the semester, but I figure if I have all my content review down before school starts then it should be okay to just keep lightly reviewing and taking a few quizzes per week then really hit it hard for a month or so. I just had a plan that I would take practice exams like every other day for 3 weeks after I was done with content which is obviously impossible now. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it's not stupid to waste money by cancelling my exam??? haha. My friends and parents keep telling me to just take it because "you've been studying all summer and we know you'll do great!!" ...oh, how they don't understand...

Yeah, I really don't want to study MCAT during the semester, but I figure if I have all my content review down before school starts then it should be okay to just keep lightly reviewing and taking a few quizzes per week then really hit it hard for a month or so. I just had a plan that I would take practice exams like every other day for 3 weeks after I was done with content which is obviously impossible now. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it's not stupid to waste money by cancelling my exam??? haha. My friends and parents keep telling me to just take it because "you've been studying all summer and we know you'll do great!!" ...oh, how they don't understand...

Oh wow, I feel like I'm looking at myself in a mirror reading your posts! Except I haven't done much content review like you have. Likewise I got ****load of things to do during summer and especially during first semester, including sports and research. Again, likewise I have until august 4th to cancel this or not. My friends told me to just take it, except I've scored really poorly on my diagnostics (AAMC and tpr). I'm not sure if you want to follow what I'm doing, but I'm gonna die and try to finish the damn content review and take one of the AAMCs on august 3rd. If the score's in relatively okay-range, I'm planning on taking another one on the 4th-- just to confirm my standing and go from there.

Oh wow, I feel like I'm looking at myself in a mirror reading your posts! Except I haven't done much content review like you have. Likewise I got ****load of things to do during summer and especially during first semester, including sports and research. Again, likewise I have until august 4th to cancel this or not. My friends told me to just take it, except I've scored really poorly on my diagnostics (AAMC and tpr). I'm not sure if you want to follow what I'm doing, but I'm gonna die and try to finish the damn content review and take one of the AAMCs on august 3rd. If the score's in relatively okay-range, I'm planning on taking another one on the 4th-- just to confirm my standing and go from there.

ha i just read your posts are we are literally in the exact same boat, lol. i'm going to message you.