Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I'd say your great GPA and outstanding ECs would over-ride your decent MCAT. The only California school I can think of that you might not be able to get into is UCSF. One of my friends who had a similar GPA and level of ECs was able to get into Stanford with a 30. Overall, I'd say you have a good shot at California schools.

Hey, I got a 33R (12P/10V/11B) in July after retaking from my January's 28O. I was wondering if I should retake if I'm interested in applying to top schools and/or to be more competitive for in-state scholarships.

I was scoring from 34-39 on my later practice tests, and I was consistently scoring 13s in Bio, so I was kind of disappointed in my score.

My GPA is around a 3.75, and I'll be applying in '09. Would it be foolish to retake considering it would be my third time testing?

I'd say your great GPA and outstanding ECs would over-ride your decent MCAT. The only California school I can think of that you might not be able to get into is UCSF. One of my friends who had a similar GPA and level of ECs was able to get into Stanford with a 30. Overall, I'd say you have a good shot at California schools.

What is considered a decent MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
In this case I was referring directly to the poster's score of a 30 as decent. Hence, I told the poster, "I'd say your great GPA and outstanding ECs would over-ride your decent MCAT." I wasn't trying to say a particular range of scores was decent. Besides this is only my opinion on her score and I know there will be those that disagree.

I got a 33R - 12BS, 11PS, 10V R-WR

I'm retaking, aiming for an improvement of 4-5 points at least. I'm simply posting this information, don't try to convince me of how "idiotic" it is to retake it.

I'm retaking, aiming for an improvement of 4-5 points at least. I'm simply posting this information, don't try to convince me of how "idiotic" it is to retake it.

Seems rather asinine to post in the "Should I retake?" thread saying "I'm retaking don't give me your opinions." Just a thought :laugh:

Seems rather asinine to post in the "Should I retake?" thread saying "I'm retaking don't give me your opinions." Just a thought :laugh:

Only for the benefit for those > 30 and are thinking about retaking. Frankly I find the first post a little simple minded. My post was intended to illustrate the possibility that there are those of us who do think it is worthwhile to retake the exam even if we did not score less than a 30. I find it deceiving that pre-med culture has embraced this arbitrary number as a fine line that divides acceptances and rejections.

Still, this is a thread about asking if you should retake. I think you could have made your own thread about why some people decide to retake after getting a score above 30. There are times when I can easily see why someone would want to retake after getting a 30. One of the main reasons I bet most people are told not to retake with a 30+ is because the chances of getting a better score isn't that high. I remember someone posting a very low average of people who improve on their next test. Fortunately, this isn't even close to absolute. So if you have gotten higher test scores or know you can do better than a 33, go for it.

I have a 35S composite score on the MCAT, but only a 10 on the BS section. I just graduated in the spring, but I'm planning to apply next year.. so I'll be doing research for 2 years. Is it worth it to retake the MCAT, especially since I have the extra time to take it again? ...Or should I just stick with the score I have? I really want to try for the Tier I schools, so I am afraid that my bio score will turn out to be a big weakness.

Any thoughts?

I have a 35S composite score on the MCAT, but only a 10 on the BS section. I just graduated in the spring, but I'm planning to apply next year.. so I'll be doing research for 2 years. Is it worth it to retake the MCAT, especially since I have the extra time to take it again? ...Or should I just stick with the score I have? I really want to try for the Tier I schools, so I am afraid that my bio score will turn out to be a big weakness.

Any thoughts?

With a 35 and all scores above 10, I don't think retaking the MCAT would be the best way to improve your application. Intense clinical volunteer work, or other leadership positions along with a solid GPA will probably help you out more. Just curious, what was your breakdown on the MCAT?

Any thoughts?

O yeah a 35, you definitely need to retake, aim for a 43+ thats the only way you can get into a JHU, Yale, or Mayo.

Not really, after you get up that high a few extra points is not gonna make or break your application. Your best bet would be to find an extracurricular activity that would set you apart from the crowd and would make an ADCOM go "wow this guy is special"

With a 35 and all scores above 10, I don't think retaking the MCAT would be the best way to improve your application. Intense clinical volunteer work, or other leadership positions along with a solid GPA will probably help you out more. Just curious, what was your breakdown on the MCAT?

13PS
12V
10B
S writing..

another reason i ask is because my GPA might be 'solid' but it's definitely less than stellar (3.6, lower still for sciences), so does a high MCAT score offset that?

Members don't see this ad :)

Instead of wasting your time studying further for a test you already did fairly well on, why don't you work on your ECs or GPA instead? It's really rather stupid to retake it. Especially when you risk going down.

Instead of wasting your time studying further for a test you already did fairly well on, why don't you work on your ECs or GPA instead? It's really rather stupid to retake it. Especially when you risk going down.

I still agree with this.

We're not going to give you a different answer. :) Your MCAT is fine, in fact it's better than fine...it's in the 95th percentile. :p

Work on your ECs, clinical exposure, and in your next year of university...seriously (and I mean really seriously) aim for a 4.0. Get that GPA up, and you'll be golden...hell you may even have a shot at the most competitive schools.

I still agree with this.

We're not going to give you a different answer. :) Your MCAT is fine, in fact it's better than fine...it's in the 95th percentile. :p

Work on your ECs, clinical exposure, and in your next year of university...seriously (and I mean really seriously) aim for a 4.0. Get that GPA up, and you'll be golden...hell you may even have a shot at the most competitive schools.

while it's totally true that your MCAT score is only one part of an application package, I also happen to think that it's one of the easiest things to improve. I like to think of the MCAT and GPA as the two 'numbers' that applicants have, and while your GPA is a pretty much fixed thing, the MCAT score can really be used to wow the schools you apply to..

of course, having a high MCAT will not guarantee you admission into the school of your dreams, but I like to think of it as a tool to "get your foot in the door," so to speak... use it to get a secondary, or invited for an interview, where you can use other parts of your application (for example, research and/or volunteer experience) and your interviewing skills to get you the rest of the way in.

So I don't totally agree with the seemingly prevailing wisdom on SDN of not retaking the MCAT with >10 on every section. You could very well do better the next time; if you did it once, you can do it again. Don't give schools the chance to not give you a chance, especially if you're aiming high, when small differences among candidates might matter!

while it's totally true that your MCAT score is only one part of an application package, I also happen to think that it's one of the easiest things to improve. I like to think of the MCAT and GPA as the two 'numbers' that applicants have, and while your GPA is a pretty much fixed thing, the MCAT score can really be used to wow the schools you apply to..

of course, having a high MCAT will not guarantee you admission into the school of your dreams, but I like to think of it as a tool to "get your foot in the door," so to speak... use it to get a secondary, or invited for an interview, where you can use other parts of your application (for example, research and/or volunteer experience) and your interviewing skills to get you the rest of the way in.

So I don't totally agree with the seemingly prevailing wisdom on SDN of not retaking the MCAT with >10 on every section. You could very well do better the next time; if you did it once, you can do it again. Don't give schools the chance to not give you a chance, especially if you're aiming high, when small differences among candidates might matter!

While that might be true, increasing from a 35 to a 39 is NOT an easy thing to do. This is because its not just based on you. For comparison, getting a '40' on the MCAT puts you in a cohort of students (40+ MCATers) that is only about 300 students large every year (99.5 percentile). So if you already have a 35 (94 percentile) getting a 39 or 40 isn't going to be easy.

Now, I definitely agree with you in that if you have a slightly lower score, its possible to raise it a few points. If you have a 30-33 you can definitley raise that to a 35 with some serious work ethic and test taking skills.

Hi guys,

I am really lost as whether I should retake the mcat for the third time or not. Please help! Here are my stats:

1st time:
p-11
v-6
b-10
total-27

2nd time:
p-8
v-8
b-9
total-25

overall gpa: 3.43
science gpa: 3.36

I have some clinical and research experience. Should I use my time to take up a clinical job that I'm thinking about or study for the mcat for the 3rd time? Should I not retake it and apply only to the 2 or 3 schools that take the highest composite score which for me would be a 29?

Hi guys,

I am really lost as whether I should retake the mcat for the third time or not. Please help! Here are my stats:

1st time:
p-11
v-6
b-10
total-27

2nd time:
p-8
v-8
b-9
total-25

overall gpa: 3.43
science gpa: 3.36

I have some clinical and research experience. Should I use my time to take up a clinical job that I'm thinking about or study for the mcat for the 3rd time? Should I not retake it and apply only to the 2 or 3 schools that take the highest composite score which for me would be a 29?

You have a chance at some DO schools, but getting into an MD School will be hard for you with that MCAT. Your GPA is a bit on the low end as well (like mine) so you are definitely going to need to get that MCAT above 31 or 32. Retake it, but really do everything in your power to make sure that you kill it this time...good luck.

My first MCAT score was a 31p with an 11VR 10 PS and 10BS on Sept 8th
I was averaging somewhere around a 34 on my practice tests, so I was a little dissapointed. I have a good GPA 3.9, but unfortunately I come from a not so well known college, (middle of nowhere eastern NC), so I was definitely hoping for higher to show ADCOMS that my GPA is not inflated eventhough they may have not heard of my school. Someone recently told me that they thought it would be a good idea to retake so I could become competitive, especially for my state school, UNC. I cant figure out what to do, I definitely was scoring higher usually 12s in the sciences but a 10 in the verbal. So if I was to retake verbal, could possibly, go down. What do you think? would it be worth the Risk?

sorry if this post is convoluted and confusing.

I'd apply with that score. The school average is a 33, so you're pretty close. Plus, I think you have some good ECs.

No one should retake with a 35S unless the score isn't valid anymore. That score is good enough for all but one of the top tier schools. Your MCAT score will not hold you back. Also, if you do worse, it will look extremely bad.

I'd apply with that score. The school average is a 33, so you're pretty close. Plus, I think you have some good ECs.

No one should retake with a 35S unless the score isn't valid anymore. That score is good enough for all but one of the top tier schools. Your MCAT score will not hold you back. Also, if you do worse, it will look extremely bad.

Just wondering, which school? And what's their minimum?

Yup, that's right. I find it odd though that it's supposed to be really good, but when you ask the typical person what's a good med school no one knows of it. How's it so good yet no one knows of it?

Yup, that's right. I find it odd though that it's supposed to be really good, but when you ask the typical person what's a good med school no one knows of it. How's it so good yet no one knows of it?
Who Knows? But wouldnt it be great to be able to say" yeah I got accepted to the most competitive med school in the nation" (atleast stats wise)

GPA 3.85 (U of Toronto), MCAT (10, 10 6VR, R). Canadian Citizen. Which school should I apply to in US? Any advise!

GPA 3.85 (U of Toronto), MCAT (10, 10 6VR, R). Canadian Citizen. Which school should I apply to in US? Any advise!

Definitely retake to bring up that verbal score! Especially being an international applicant (albeit an English-speaking one), verbal is of the utmost importance!

Definitely retake to bring up that verbal score! Especially being an international applicant (albeit an English-speaking one), verbal is of the utmost importance!

You mean to say I stand no chance even in low tier schools?

Hey guys,

I really appreciate you taking your time to provide guidance to others. Many thanks.

Here goes:
My GPA is not spectacular. I have a 3.44 overall GPA and about a 3.30 Science GPA. I took the MCAT twice already and earned a 31 both times.

August '06
PS: 10
VR: 11
BS: 10
WS: P

April '07
PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: R

I hope to be admitted to a U.S. MD school (I'm from CA, by the way). If I know I can improve to a 33+, will taking the test for a 3rd time help or hurt my chances?

Thanks again for your advice!

major dilemma Hey everyone, I've been so overwhelmed with things in my life lately that I have mouth ulcers :( Anyway, can you please offer me advice regarding my application and retaking the MCAT or not? I have mdapplicants but here's a basic summary:

GPA: 3.60
BCPM: 3.34
Took MCAT 3 times:
1st: 25Q
2nd: 27R
3rd: 23Q
Lots of EC's including shadowing Cardiologists for two entire summers and a winter break (over 1000 hours), TA'd two classes in college, lots of volunteer work, lots of clubs joined, did research on West Nile virus at Saint Louis Univ. School of Medicine, and much more.

I just completely mess up the MCAT each time for some reason. I swear I always scored over 32 total on practice exams and just bomb the real thing. I took the MCAT for the 3rd time just a month after the 2nd time because i thought i could improve the score in time for this cycle of apps, but as you can see it's midway in the cycle and not much luck for me. I'm thinking about taking the MCAT for a fourth time but it's so risky. What if I still don't improve? I'm doomed for life then... should I take a class to assure a higher score? Should I just apply for all DO's next year should I not get in this cycle? Somebody please help me! I'm completely overwhelmed with this decision and I need to go overseas for family reasons in Feb. too so that makes studying for the MCAT difficult as well. Thank you to anyone who's listening!

I am signed up to retake on 1/25 and I'm applying for 2008, so schools are likely to either invite me for an interview or reject me before seeing my second MCAT score.

MCAT (May 2007) - 24R (8,8,8)
GPA: 3.33

Lots of extracurriculars and about 100 hours of volunteering at a hospital or clinic.

I'm just asking about Osteopathic schools because I was already rejected at the allopathic schools i applied to. Let me know if I should retake in 3 weeks or not. I've studied some over christmas break (30-40 hours total) but plan to study a BUNCH this week and more the 2 weeks after but if you guys think its not worth it, i might cancel and not waste my time. Please factor in my credentials and the time of year. I'm just sending in secondaries this week and last week.

-Seth

Hi guys,

I plan to retake the MCAT in the spring. Does anyone who also took the test 2x have any advice on how to study the second time around? Does it even make sense for me the take the same AAMC practice tests I took when I tried to prepare for the test the 1st time around?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

Just in the past few weeks I got pretty much all my letters (save for two, but its so late that I'm assuming wait-list at best) and I'm wait listed at one, rejected from others, and I won't find out about my wait list position till may.

So, I have to start thinking about re-applying and retaking the MCAT. But I don't know if I should. Heres my scores:

MCAT: 29 (10 PS, 10 BS, 9 VR)

GPA: 3.7

School: Macalester College

EC: 3 research things, volunteer, varsity XC and Track, some other orgs. and leadership things

The issue is that I'm getting married this June, so my May/June will be super busy and same with the rest of my summer till mid July. So I wouldn't be able to take the MCAT till August, and I'm worried that I'll be distracted in studying. I don't know if I should retake the MCAT and apply later, or apply right away in June.

Also, my problem was I got too picky this year with schools and only applied to a few. If my wait list doesn't come through, I'll be applying to many many more.

What should I do?

Any chance u can retake at the end of april or early may? with some practice you may be able to boost that bio score a few points, which could go a long way. like u said, try applying to more schools and make sure you have things turned in as early as possible.

29p 13bs 10ps 6vr retake? I was advized to retake since i took it cold not studying so maybe this time i'll do better. almost forgot didn't hav ochem 2

29p 13bs 10ps 6vr retake? I was advized to retake since i took it cold not studying so maybe this time i'll do better. almost forgot didn't hav ochem 2
what do you want us to tell you?? Yes you have to retake a 6 in verbal is not going to get you an acceptance anywhere.

MCAT: 27O (7 PS, 10 BS, 10 VR) GPA: 3.75
So with these stats I did receive an interview with my first choice way back in November (LLU). I haven't been accepted/rejected yet, but I figured I should probably assume for the worst.

I'm signed up for the May 31st MCAT, and I'm terrified that I won't be ready in time and I will just do worse. Unfortunately with the timing of re-applying, LLU early decision is June-July, and you have to have your MCAT score when you apply. So the only date I can re-take is May 31.

I really don't know what to do, because all of the MCAT knowledge seems to have leaked from my brain since I took it last spring. Please help!

So generally if you got a 30 total with no score less than 8 on a section, and a minimum of M on the Writing Sample it is not worth repeating the MCAT?

TX applicant.

3.92 overall, 4.0 in major, unsure what BCPM/Science is - ~3.8 or better by graduation, I'm sure.

24S - 9/9/6. Blew - BLEW - bio section.

Seems to me that this is pushing it for TX applicants, but I would love some second opinions.

Thanks.

hey all. So I just got my 1/26/08 score back. it is: VR:10, PS:9, BS:11 = 30O.
my GPA is a 3.14 (very bad I know). Should I retake in April? I wanted at least a 33 to balance out my GPA (retaking classes/grad school is not an option) a bit. Thoughts???
Thank you so much!

should I retake? i think i'm going to, but i'm open to opinions. i def fall in the "gray" area.

i applied last year to only 3 schools and was waitlisted at UNC.

graduated '06 from harvard with at 3.14 gpa in both sci and non sci
29Q on mcat first time 9/11/10
substantial volunteer work (directed tutoring org and volunteered at camp for chronically ill children)

NOW

retook physics, got an A-
working as a clinical research coordinator in GI
retook MCAT in Jan, got a 30P, 7/11/12
Planning on reapplying over the summer to a large number of schools.

i thought i was going to split 10/10/10. Is the 7 just unacceptable, particularly with my GPA? UGH. This sucks.

hey all. So I just got my 1/26/08 score back. it is: VR:10, PS:9, BS:11 = 30O.
my GPA is a 3.14 (very bad I know). Should I retake in April? I wanted at least a 33 to balance out my GPA (retaking classes/grad school is not an option) a bit. Thoughts???
Thank you so much!

oops I forgot to add that I am currently working in a lab at one of the med schools I would like to apply to, if this makes a difference.

TX applicant.

3.92 overall, 4.0 in major, unsure what BCPM/Science is - ~3.8 or better by graduation, I'm sure.

24S - 9/9/6. Blew - BLEW - bio section.

Seems to me that this is pushing it for TX applicants, but I would love some second opinions.

Thanks.
exi- I think it's in your best interest to retake. Your GPA rocks, but as you said, the 24 would be pushing it. With more and more qualified people applying every year, you want to give yourself your best chance.

:luck:

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

I wanted to bump the OP of this thread to make it more accessible to everyone. :)

My first MCAT score was a 31p with an 11VR 10 PS and 10BS on Sept 8th
I was averaging somewhere around a 34 on my practice tests, so I was a little dissapointed. I have a good GPA 3.9, but unfortunately I come from a not so well known college, (middle of nowhere eastern NC), so I was definitely hoping for higher to show ADCOMS that my GPA is not inflated eventhough they may have not heard of my school. Someone recently told me that they thought it would be a good idea to retake so I could become competitive, especially for my state school, UNC. I cant figure out what to do, I definitely was scoring higher usually 12s in the sciences but a 10 in the verbal. So if I was to retake verbal, could possibly, go down. What do you think? would it be worth the Risk?

sorry if this post is convoluted and confusing.

i don't think you should retake. as long as you get over 10 in each section you should be fine. from my experience applying the thing that matters most is proving that you know you want to be a doctor and why, ie shadowing, etc. and with a GPA like that, I think you'll be fine. I got waitlisted at UNC with a much worse gpa and worse mcat scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.