Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
How much practice did you do for the Verbal section and what materials did you use to prepare?

Thanks for replying! I had about May, June and July to study but I moved into a house in July and with packing and moving I did not practice verbal for one whole month. I didn't study as much as I should have and I didn't do verbal practice everyday. I was improving and then I stopped practicing. But I don't know why the MCAT verbal was so much harder than what I practiced. I couldn't even process one sentence without thinking what the heck is this. I used princeton review passages and the online website for princeton review to do the online passages and MCAT passages.

I got 35R with 14 7 14 on August
I am not sure if I have to retake..
It's such a pain in the butt to study again for it.. I am ~70% sure that I can do better on my VR since avg was about 9 but about 90% sure that science will most likely drop down even though I felt that I bombed science when I was taking compared to how I felt on AAMCs

Is it auto retake due to 7?

Thanks for replying! I had about May, June and July to study but I moved into a house in July and with packing and moving I did not practice verbal for one whole month. I didn't study as much as I should have and I didn't do verbal practice everyday. I was improving and then I stopped practicing. But I don't know why the MCAT verbal was so much harder than what I practiced. I couldn't even process one sentence without thinking what the heck is this. I used princeton review passages and the online website for princeton review to do the online passages and MCAT passages.

Well, I would definitely suggest retesting. You might want to look at SN2ed's MCAT studying schedule. His recommendations for VR (and I second this from personal experience) are to use EK101 and the TPRHL Verbal Workbook (not sure if you already used those).

As far as studying for verbal, you should aim to do ~3 passages per day consistently through your days of studying. Its all about the consistent repetition. You can definitely improve.

Give TBR a shot for verbal as well. You will likely see an increase in your science scores. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's such a pain in the butt to study again for it.. I am ~70% sure that I can do better on my VR since avg was about 9 but about 90% sure that science will most likely drop down even though I felt that I bombed science when I was taking compared to how I felt on AAMCs

That 7 is going to lead to a lot of auto-rejections (I've heard that some schools use 9 as a min, while most use 8 on any one section). If I were you, I would take it again and really focus on getting that subscore up. You are absolutely right that the sciences will likely go down, but I think from an admission perspective that 7 is going to hurt you too much to worry about having your sciences drop a couple points.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. But, I say it is an auto-retake.

Hello,

Sorry i did not realize there was this thread so i posted a new one.

I took the MCAT on August 6, 2011 and I scored a 4 in VR :eek: 8 in PS and 9 BS. I'm debating on whether I should retake the MCAT or apply to the Caribbeans. My biggest concern is that I did horribly on VR but the real thing was so much harder compared to practice passages. I don't know how I can do better next time if I just don't have that difficulty level of practice!! I'm so torn please help !

Thanks so much.
Do NOT go to the Caribbean! Just retake the test.

25 P (9/8/8) 3.98 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 4.0 nonscience GPA. ECs are very well-rounded, 2 years working in healthcare field, leadership, volunteer work, etc.

I will attend either an MD or DO school, as long as I love the campus / program (I realize that MD is nearly out of the question.) Should I retake and apply MD, or stick with the score, and apply DO? Or, should I retake even if I apply exclusively DO?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

25 P (9/8/8) 3.98 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 4.0 nonscience GPA. ECs are very well-rounded, 2 years working in healthcare field, leadership, volunteer work, etc.

I will attend either an MD or DO school, as long as I love the campus / program (I realize that MD is nearly out of the question.) Should I retake and apply MD, or stick with the score, and apply DO? Or, should I retake even if I apply exclusively DO?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend retaking it if you want to go to MD schools. With your GPA and ECs, the MCAT probably won't hold you back for DO schools. It's really your choice whether you really want to go to a MD school over a DO school. If so, definitely retake the MCAT. Personally, it shouldn't really matter whether you go MD or DO unless you really care about the title.

I have always wondered why people who "tend" to study the material thoroughly get scores in the upper 20s. Is it due to test prep or maybe just anxiety on test day?

First-time: didn't study that much due to extraneous circumstances, only took 2 practice tests.

12VR
9BS
9PS
Writing:M

I have a 4.00 GPA from at a strong private school, so I know I can do better with more practice tests and the right mindset. EC's are solid. Is it worth it to retake and boost the science scores?

First-time: didn't study that much due to extraneous circumstances, only took 2 practice tests.

12VR
9BS
9PS
Writing:M

I have a 4.00 GPA from at a strong private school, so I know I can do better with more practice tests and the right mindset. EC's are solid. Is it worth it to retake and boost the science scores?

If you're pretty sure your Verbal will stay in that range, I say why not? (I know my Verbal almost never budged throughout my studying.)

2 things you should consider:
1. Effort involved vs. Return - I'm not sure I would personally put tons of study hours into a retake, especially at the expense of other applicable experience; however, if you are confident that being more consistent in your studying and a few more practice tests will make a jump, that would look a little more consistent with your GPA.
2. Target schools - Your GPA is awesome, so a 35+ on the MCAT would put you in numerical range everywhere. If you're aiming for top research schools (and the rest of your app is in line), it would be a good idea to retake. Otherwise, it might not matter so much.

July 16th MCAT:
P: 12
V: 10
B: 10

Practice:
I was always consistent with a 12 in Physics. I normally scored a 12 in Biology, with some variation (as high as 14) - organic chem is my weakness. Verbal was always about a 10.

I'm also in an odd GPA situation.
cGPA: 2.99
Last 4 semesters: 3.65
Graduate GPA (@ Medical School): 3.92

July 16th MCAT:
P: 12
V: 10
B: 10

Practice:
I was always consistent with a 12 in Physics. I normally scored a 12 in Biology, with some variation (as high as 14) - organic chem is my weakness. Verbal was always about a 10.

I'm also in an odd GPA situation.
cGPA: 2.99
Last 4 semesters: 3.65
Graduate GPA (@ Medical School): 3.92

Are you asking whether you should retake? If so, I'd recommend not retaking because you scored very close to your averages and a retake to try and increase 2 points could lead to a decrease in something else just as easily.

If you're pretty sure your Verbal will stay in that range, I say why not? (I know my Verbal almost never budged throughout my studying.)

2 things you should consider:
1. Effort involved vs. Return - I'm not sure I would personally put tons of study hours into a retake, especially at the expense of other applicable experience; however, if you are confident that being more consistent in your studying and a few more practice tests will make a jump, that would look a little more consistent with your GPA.
2. Target schools - Your GPA is awesome, so a 35+ on the MCAT would put you in numerical range everywhere. If you're aiming for top research schools (and the rest of your app is in line), it would be a good idea to retake. Otherwise, it might not matter so much.

Thanks for the advice! Consistency w/GPA is the biggest motivator, I suppose. A 34 or higher would greatly increase my competitiveness at many schools.

I'm thinking of taking a bunch of practice tests over winter break, seeing how those turn out, and possibly retesting early in the spring semester. It shouldn't involve insane amounts of time, hopefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of taking a bunch of practice tests over winter break, seeing how those turn out, and possibly retesting early in the spring semester. It shouldn't involve insane amounts of time, hopefully.

Sounds like a good plan! The consensus on here is when you consistently get a score 4 points above the first attempt, you should retake.

Good luck to you!

Sounds like a good plan! The consensus on here is when you consistently get a score 4 points above the first attempt, you should retake.

Good luck to you!

Thank you!

Any recommendations regarding specific practice tests? I've heard AAMC practice tests are the most accurate predictors of one's actual score.

Thank you!

Any recommendations regarding specific practice tests? I've heard AAMC practice tests are the most accurate predictors of one's actual score.

AAMC are the absolute best if you haven't taken them yet. I also used the TBR practice tests which were very good practice as well. However, if you haven't used the AAMC tests yet, then definitely start there.

Definitely do not retake. Yea a 7 is low, but once you're in the 13-15 range, there is quite a bit of luck involved. Luck as in your particular MCAT having questions that are not based on your weak areas. You obviously knew the material well since you got a 14 on both science sections, but it's unlikely (not trying to be mean) that you'll get a 14 on both again.

When anyone retakes, they absolutely have to improve by more than a couple of points. You got a 35, it's not likely that you will improve to a 38+.

Definitely do not retake. Yea a 7 is low, but once you're in the 13-15 range, there is quite a bit of luck involved. Luck as in your particular MCAT having questions that are not based on your weak areas. You obviously knew the material well since you got a 14 on both science sections, but it's unlikely (not trying to be mean) that you'll get a 14 on both again.

When anyone retakes, they absolutely have to improve by more than a couple of points. You got a 35, it's not likely that you will improve to a 38+.

I thought many schools screened out 7s on Verbal? Or is that just a nasty rumor?
In that case, it would be better to see science drop imo.

I thought many schools screened out 7s on Verbal? Or is that just a nasty rumor?
In that case, it would be better to see science drop imo.

I've heard that too, but as far as I know it's just a rumor. I know for a fact that it's a huge red flag if you retake the mcat and don't improve.

3.42 GPA

First attempt: 29S
PS 11, V 9, BS 9, S

Second attempt: 26S
PS 10, V 8, BS 8, S

I dropped 1 point in each section. I have no idea why. I was scoring about 30-34 during diags. Recommendations? Don't know if a third time will help.

Hey, I don't know whether this will help you, but MCAT and GPA are not the only thing. I have heard about a guy who took the MCAT 8 times got a horrible score, however, got accepted to Hopkins, the admission committee took him to be a determined candidate who studied so many times.

30T; 10-BS 11-PS 9-VR; Average test scores were around 30 +/- some points. I felt like I wasn't *Totallly* prepared going in though..

3.7 GPA for both BCPM and cumulative

Lots of extracurriculars (leadership, a cappella, hospital volunteer stuff, tutoring, lab, etc).

CA Resident; looking at CA schools but also out-of-state.

Problem: Will be retaking in April if I plan on it, and will have to study through winter break and the winter quarter

Suggestions please? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hey, I don't know whether this will help you, but MCAT and GPA are not the only thing. I have heard about a guy who took the MCAT 8 times got a horrible score, however, got accepted to Hopkins, the admission committee took him to be a determined candidate who studied so many times.

If true, that guy is a one in a million type of matriculant. He must have had stellar ECs. I don't think many ADCOMs (much less Hopkins' ADCOM) consider 8 less-than-successful MCATs to be a sign of determination as much as failure. I mean, by your third retake (fourth MCAT) you should know going in whether or not you are ready, and if you're not ready, to postpone. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying that it's an incredible story.

30T; 10-BS 11-PS 9-VR; Average test scores were around 30 +/- some points. I felt like I wasn't *Totallly* prepared going in though..

3.7 GPA for both BCPM and cumulative

Lots of extracurriculars (leadership, a cappella, hospital volunteer stuff, tutoring, lab, etc).

CA Resident; looking at CA schools but also out-of-state.

Problem: Will be retaking in April if I plan on it, and will have to study through winter break and the winter quarter

Suggestions please? Thanks :)

Do CA schools give major preference to CA residents? Most of the people I know who got into their home state (various states, but none were from CA) had about a 3.7-3.8 and a 30-32.

However, if you think you can get your score up to a 33+, I would retake just to be safe.

first time poster here. took mcat last summer and still not sure if I should retake or not. scored a 29M (11PS, 9VR, 9BS). mostly unhappy about the writing and BS.

my background: graduating in May, applying this summer. 3.70 gpa with BS in public health. strong extracurriculars. not sure yet what I'm doing during my year off. will take in April if I do retake.

I appreciate any suggestions you have!

You know, I am sorry, to get philosophical here, but I am studying for MCAT second time around. I am working twice and hard and stuff, but I am really nervous, whether or not any thing will change, any words of encouragement? I got a 25 first time, i am trying to get a 30 or above.

I can't believe I am contemplating retaking a 34, but I've been trying to find programs to apply to and I feel like my verbal is really going to hold me back.

My score = 34Q: 8 VR /13 PS/ 13 BS

From practice tests:
AAMC 7: 8 VR, 10 PS, 12 BS, (30)
AAMC 8: 7 VR, 10 PS, 13 BS, (30)
AAMC 10: 11 VR, 12 PS, 12 BS, (35)
AAMC 11: 10 VR, 11 PS, 13 BS, (34)

As you can see my verbal was all over the place, but I was starting to get the hang of it on AAMC 10 and 11.
The proctors were joking and talking throughout the verbal section and the other testers in the room were typing essays and the sounds just distracted me and caused me to panic.
Still, the 8 is not terrible and it is within my range of practice scores. If I don't apply this summer and study again, I can probably get VR up to 10. But my sciences would likely drop a few points.

I really don't want to retake, but I just don't know how much more beneficial an even breakdown will be.
I don't think my cumulative score will change on a retake, it would likely just be a more evenly broken down 32-36. Or I can hope for the best and apply early with what I have.

Really need advice, driving myself crazy with reasons for / against retaking the MCAT.

3.98 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 4.00 nsGPA, 25P MCAT (9/8/8). I want to become an Osteopathic physician for several reasons, the most important being that I love the campuses / curricula of several DO schools! ECs include 2 years clinical experience, leadership, lots of tutoring and teaching, sports, fitness, volunteer work, musicianship, and others. LOC and personal statement are good.

I have already applied to schools (current cycle), and received 1 interview invite so far, hoping for more.

So the question is, should I retake? The way I see it:

Reasons to retake:

1) My score was not representative of my abilities. I scored between 27 and 32 on practice tests after studying for only 40 days.

2) I want to put my best foot forward, and possibly apply to a couple MD programs as well.

Reasons NOT to retake:

1) 25 is probably good enough. If I don't get in anywhere this time around, it would likely be because I applied so late in the cycle (AACOMAS in October, secondaries in November). With an early (June) application / secondary, I believe I can get in with my current stats.

2) I would want to retake this coming April, which would make things difficult, since I'd be studying in the middle of a semester.

3) I want to enjoy my senior year of college! I've read posts and blogs by student doctors / recently graduated doctors, and they often emphasize the importance of having fun during the pre-med years and first 2 years of medical school: taking trips during the summer, traveling, enjoying the company of friends and family, etc. What I mean is, if my current score is good enough, shouldn't I just be content with my application, and make the most of what opportunities it affords me? Although I believe in hard work, I also realize that nobody on their deathbed says "I wish I studied more for that stupid admissions test!"

What would you do? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Is potentially getting a 12/9/11 vs my original 13/6/13 worth re-taking the MCAT? Is a 3 point increase in verbal worth dropping some science points in my case? Since 13s were my peak, I have a big feeling I will drop in science. I am not aiming for top research schools. I am signed up to retake, but studying isn't going as planned as I am stuck on how to improve verbal. What do you guys think? I will probably drop in science, though.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

This question has been bothering me for quite a while now, but I am very unsure about whether to retake this exam, I know it ultimately comes down to what I feel, but any further input would be very much appreciated!

I took the exam last summer (summer '11) and got a 31Q: 9VR, 11PS, and 11BS

Although the score isn't too bad, and fell to the lower side of my AAMC average of about 33, I really want to break the 35 mark, the reason being my 3.63 cumulative gpa and pretty low BCPM of 3.47. I had a terrible first semester my freshmen year, but have held my grades between 3.7 and 4.0 until then from a pretty rigorous undergraduate school.

On exam day, I literally guessed on about 4 verbal passages due to timing, and a few questions from both BS and PS sections. I know I am capable of doing much better, but I dont know if the time investment is worth it.... I know it is very stressful and time consuming to study for this test (I spent about 8-9 hours daily 6 days a week for about 2.5 months studying over the summer)....If I need to I plan on taking it on April 5th, which means studying during the school year, since I plan on applying this cycle.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS!!!!

This question has been bothering me for quite a while now, but I am very unsure about whether to retake this exam, I know it ultimately comes down to what I feel, but any further input would be very much appreciated!

Although the score isn't too bad, and fell to the lower side of my AAMC average of about 33, I really want to break the 35 mark, the reason being my 3.63 cumulative gpa and pretty low BCPM of 3.47. I had a terrible first semester my freshmen year, but have held my grades between 3.7 and 4.0 until then from a pretty rigorous undergraduate school.

Not sure if this actually helps, but I am in a very similar situation - stats almost identical. I ultimately decided not to retake...after beginning to study for a retake. I realized it was going to take more work than I wanted to put in (again).

I called the admissions offices of my target schools to help me with the decision. They told me the change in numbers probably wouldn't matter enough to be worth the trouble as my app will be within range for them to check it out as is. (These schools really weigh everything you have to offer.) They did, however, mention that not all schools are like that; there are some that are much more interested in the stats. Maybe try calling your schools to see.

Good luck to you. It's a very stressful decision!

Hi Guys,

On exam day, I literally guessed on about 4 verbal passages due to timing, and a few questions from both BS and PS sections. I know I am capable of doing much better, but I dont know if the time investment is worth it.... I know it is very stressful and time consuming to study for this test (I spent about 8-9 hours daily 6 days a week for about 2.5 months studying over the summer)....If I need to I plan on taking it on April 5th, which means studying during the school year, since I plan on applying this cycle.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS!!!!

It sounds like a lot of work to try and improve by a couple points. I think your score is pretty balanced as is so a retake is not necessary. You definitely would not be able to put in the same amount of time during the semester and it is generally not recommended to study during the semester because of that. Like the above poster mentioned it's probably best to check out individual schools through either MSAR or by calling them.

I am in dire need of help.

I took my MCAT (after over a year of preparing and taking a 7 month long course with one of the top prep courses around for a hefty amount of money) and was deff not pleased with my score. I am now a senior and I received my score back in September and have been forced to stop my application to med school for the Fall 2012 cycle.

I do not know what to do. I doubt that retaking the mcat and studying on my own will increase my score and I know I will never get into ANY school with my score. I plan on applying to Chicago universities (who have very high expectations for MCAT scores)

I'm interested in completing a BMS program as an alternate route to get into med school hopefully after the completion of the masters program....

PLEASE ADVISE. Should I take a year off? Or take it again ASAP? Or the BMS?????

You don't think you can improve, and you don't think your current score will get you in. Sounds like you need to find something other than medicine.

So here's my dilemma: I applied with a 29Q and had one interview so far at an in-state school but with many rejections (I think I was a little ambitious, thinking that tons and tons of meaningful extracurriculars could supplement an average MCAT).

I'm planning on retaking the MCAT since it's pretty much the only part of my application I can improve on -- I'm a chem graduate with an NIH fellowship under my belt with lots of leadership, volunteer, and clinical experience. My PI is also pretty famous -- but it might be time to start thinking about re-applying.

I'm just not sure about the timing. At which point is it time to accept that I'm not getting in and to hit the books? I feel like an April test date is too early, since I know people are still getting interviews at that point. What about a June test date?

What do you all think?

So here's my dilemma: I applied with a 29Q and had one interview so far at an in-state school but with many rejections (I think I was a little ambitious, thinking that tons and tons of meaningful extracurriculars could supplement an average MCAT).

I'm planning on retaking the MCAT since it's pretty much the only part of my application I can improve on -- I'm a chem graduate with an NIH fellowship under my belt with lots of leadership, volunteer, and clinical experience. My PI is also pretty famous -- but it might be time to start thinking about re-applying.

I'm just not sure about the timing. At which point is it time to accept that I'm not getting in and to hit the books? I feel like an April test date is too early, since I know people are still getting interviews at that point. What about a June test date?

What do you all think?

From what I'm reading from your post, it looks like you may still get in (unless you had a bad interview). A 29Q isn't the best, but if you are that keen on retaking the mcat, then by all means go for it.

Depending on how long it takes you to effectively study and get that knowledge into your head, the "optimal time to start studying" can vary from 1 - 4 months (or more).

As for the mcat date, it doesn't make a difference. It shouldn't be that hard to study for the mcat while practicing for your interview, in case you get one. Unless you are juggling your schedule with activities besides the mcat, I'd say April. To me the sooner the better. That way you don't have to worry about med during summer break!

I have a similar predicament as one of the above posters. I applied very broadly this cycle with a 28R (8P, 10V, 10B). So far I've just had 1 interview in November (haven't heard back), 7 rejections, and ~20 holds. Cumulative gpa-3.93 and science-3.83 (not including fall grades-4.0). I have more than 2 years of research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and a job with patient contact so I was hoping that these things might off-set my sub-par MCAT. :(

At this point I'm not feeling particularly hopeful that I'll get any other interviews but I suppose there's a possibility? I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what my next step(s) should be. I used the Berkeley books, generally followed the SN2ed to prepare (but took 4 months because I had classes), and took all but 1 of the AAMC practice tests before my May exam. A close family member passed away 1.5 weeks before I took it and I'm not sure if that played a role in my bad score?

So...Should I retake? And if so, what test date? Is it wise to wait until toward the end of the time when interviews are offered? What materials would be good to use to prepare and should I allot another 4 months? I can't take a prep class because my work schedule doesn't allow for that much time off. I'm really discouraged and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Well, I would definitely suggest retesting. You might want to look at SN2ed's MCAT studying schedule. His recommendations for VR (and I second this from personal experience) are to use EK101 and the TPRHL Verbal Workbook (not sure if you already used those).

As far as studying for verbal, you should aim to do ~3 passages per day consistently through your days of studying. Its all about the consistent repetition. You can definitely improve.

Give TBR a shot for verbal as well. You will likely see an increase in your science scores. Best of luck.

I am thinking of following the 90 day study guide but I'm taking a full course load this semester and I want to take my MCAT earlier this year because if I wait til summer I'll end up taking it in August again and that will decrease my chances of getting in. If I can work my schedule and get it together do you think I can actually pull off studying for 5 courses and MCAT ? I will def not take it if I'm not prepared.

So I am in this weird situation. I have taken MCATs three times and my best score is a 26. Before I was an international student and now I have a greencard. My last mcat was in 2009 and I am planning to take my next mcat in april or early may. My scores from 2009 would have already expired due to three years so is it worth it to take it again. I did my masters in the mean time and finished it in one and half years. What do you all think? I am in a huge dilemma.

On my first MCAT i got a 32R: ps = 11, vr = 11, bs=10
My GPA is a 3.83, with a science gpa of 3.78.

However, I was hoping to apply to top-tier schools, with NYU and UPitt being my favorites. Do I have to retake to have a shot at those schools?

P.S. My Kaplan FL average was a 35 and my AAMC average was a 34.

However, I was hoping to apply to top-tier schools, with NYU and UPitt being my favorites. Do I have to retake to have a shot at those schools?

My premed advisor (n=1) said if you re-take a low 30's score, improving by 1-2 points is pretty meaningless.

Basically, scoring top 85th percentile on your first shot means as much as scoring 95th percentile on your second or third attempt.

Again, just one opinion.

Last edited:
27R - 8 PS 9 V 10 BS
GPA 3.8, science GPA ~same
Pharm tech with half a year experience and some volunteering clinical experience in both dental and medical offices.
I am also 19 years old and will graduate in a year.

Should I retake? What are my chances now? I am scheduled to take it again in a week but I am unsure if I can do better than a 27.

27R - 8 PS 9 V 10 BS
GPA 3.8, science GPA ~same
Pharm tech with half a year experience and some volunteering clinical experience in both dental and medical offices.
I am also 19 years old and will graduate in a year.

Should I retake? What are my chances now? I am scheduled to take it again in a week but I am unsure if I can do better than a 27.

What's the rush in taking it next week? Don't retake the MCAT, unless you're 100% sure you got all the material down, and will improve your score. The last thing you want to do is get a lower score on your second try. I'm not sure what the rules are about canceling your MCAT, but if it won't show on your record, you're better off taking it later (when you're ready).

I don't think it would be wise to retake after getting a 32R. Aren't your stats still competitive for NYU and Pitt?

So I am in this weird situation. I have taken MCATs three times and my best score is a 26. Before I was an international student and now I have a greencard. My last mcat was in 2009 and I am planning to take my next mcat in april or early may. My scores from 2009 would have already expired due to three years so is it worth it to take it again. I did my masters in the mean time and finished it in one and half years. What do you all think? I am in a huge dilemma.

You are going to have to take it again, because of the three year rule. With the master's and the three year gap, I think you might be ok if you can get a score in the 30's. You have to go all out since it's your fourth try. Prep course, private tutor, supplemental books, etc. Dedicate the next 2-3 months to studying, and handle the MCAT in mid-April. Submit your apps on June 1st.

I've seen a couple posters mention that they got MD acceptances with a 7, so don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to retake. Retake ONLY if you feel confident you'll do better than the 35R. It's a bummer you don't have a more balanced score, but a 35 is a 35. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Sorry I'm new to sdn.

I had a horrible last semester due to personal reasons, and now have a gpa of 3.2. I'm about to graduate and was considering masters programs but see that most programs have an average of 3.3. I was wondering if there were any masters programs that would be more favorable for my gpa

I've also taken my MCAT twice, 24 and then 26. I was wondering if I should plan on retaking it

Hey guys...this is mostly a question of when I should retake.

1st test: 4/09/11 - 10 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS, O - 28O
2nd test: 9/02/11 - 10 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS, Q - 28Q

I plan on applying for fall of 2013 to MD only. One thing I need to consider is that my Masters program ends on 5/18/12 - doing Biochemistry/Molecular Bio. What is the ideal time to plan my MCAT if I plan on studying full-time and do not want to get my applications in late? I need every bit of advantage I can get.

Just for reference, my UG GPA is 3.29 with bad start but good upward trend (~2.95 GPA first semester up to 3.94 last semester). I currently have a 4.00 in my Masters.

Just wondering if I should retake (leaning towards yes)

10PS 10V 9B

~3.93 cum and science
2+ years research/volunteering

Also, trying to go to either Northwestern/UofChicago.

Thanks!

Just wondering if I should retake (leaning towards yes)

10PS 10V 9B

~3.93 cum and science
2+ years research/volunteering

Also, trying to go to either Northwestern/UofChicago.

Thanks!

A 29 with your GPA should be good enough, if everything else is good (great personal statement, rest of primary app has been filled out very carefully, apply early, etc.). How you do at interviews is important too. No one wants an a-hole with a 45T.

At my school (a fairly prestigious New England liberal arts college), the average MCAT of accepted students was a 29/30. So I don't really know why people break down and cry when they only get a 29. I did anyway, but the reasonable side of me sees how ridiculous it is.

Also wondering if I should retake (leaning towards yes and actually currently waiting for summer 2012 dates to open).

11 PS
9 VR
9 BS
S
Cumulative score of 29S.

GPA 3.80

Quebec resident, but planning on applying all over the States (mainly east coast). I'm an American citizen, but guess I technically don't belong to any state.

Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.