Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Simple answer - because I don't want to go DO. Which brings us back to the original question of, is my score relatively competitive for an 'allo' school in the US outside of CA?

Simple answer - because I don't want to go DO. Which brings us back to the original question of, is my score relatively competitive for an 'allo' school in the US outside of CA?

24 Isn't competitive for any MD. I think a 28-29 would be the bare minimum and you would need a stellar GPA/PS/ECs to make up for that kind of MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)

The odds are slim to none to get in with that MCAT score. And you would have to get your GPA up a bit as well as have lots of worthwhile extra curriculars. You could try applying broadly, but even if you have the GPA for some schools, the MCAT will hold you back a lot.

Wanted to get some ppls opinions on a retake. AAMC practice test averages 32-34. Actual-29P 9PS 11VS 9BS. Know I can do way better on PS, like 11 or 12. BS was expected to be 9 or 10. Verbal is usually 10-12.

I have a 3.85 gpa. 3.8 science gpa, played div. 1AA football, highly regarded undergrad school, and am native american. Have volunteered and all that good stuff plenty.

Just lookin for some opinions.
Thanks everyone!

31 R : / (09/11/11) I'm not exactly gunning for top schools, but I am afraid that that 9 in PS could cause me to be screened out broadly. I'm also missing a second semester of gen chem which could explain the 9 (never saw a score under 11 on a practice test) because my test was exceptionally chem heavy. I know that this is a good score, but I'm afraid the 9 could cause me to be screened out broadly, and I think that this limitation could be easily overcome. I have a 3.67 at a school were 1 person actually graduated suma cum laude in the past year, so my GPA is stellar in the context of my school and our premed office seems to think that med schools appreciate that. I had hoped to take a CNA course in the spring, but I could also gun up for a retake.

I'm so conflicted.....sigh : /

This post is for anybody who believes they did poorly/underperformed on the MCAT. Do NOT listen to the people that say you should not retake it. People always spew out statistics stating that you will most likely not improve. This is entirely untrue, and I am not sure as to why people insist it as good advice.

I took the exam on July 16, 2011, and received a 26Q. (8 PS, 8 VR, and 10 BS).

I took it again on August 23, 2011, just a month later, and improved to a 33Q (13 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS). Yes, I improved 7 points in just one month. For the skeptics out there, I am uploading an image as evidence.

http://postimage.org/image/2g5r5gcuc/

Hey guys, I just got my scores today: 12 PS 6 VR 13 BS= 31Q. What should I do? I've spent so much time on verbal too! I feel like verbal is always the unpredictable score in all my practice tests. I normally get 8 or 9 for verbal on my practice tests, but I normally get like 11 and 12 on the sciences on the practice test so I will probably get around the same score the second time around. How badly would that 6 affect my chances?

Last edited:
Not to double post but helppp can someone please offer any insight for my situation (few posts above)?

Also wow, that is amazing that you were able to raise your score by that much in a month. Did you study really intensely, or was it pretty much a result of test day luck? If I retake, I can't retake it until January (and I haven't studied since taking my August 19 test). I'm hesitant since I'd only have time to review again during winter break, but my test involved so few content questions that I feel like I just need to somehow improve my logical reasoning. Do the classes help with this? I was doing fine on the practice tests...no idea what to do. I really do understand the material. I've heard of people just winging it a second time and doing way better just because they got luckier with the questions they received.

GPA: 3.98
Major: Biomedical Engineering at one of the top engineering schools in the U.S.

MCAT: 31R (11 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)

I have a very competitive application in terms of research/clinical/volunteering/leadership experience. However, because of this, I am frustrated that my MCAT score will really limit me as far as what schools I should apply to. I would love to get into a top medical school. I felt like my MCAT was very easy, which makes me think I had some bad luck with answering some of the passage questions. I have no idea why I got a 31. I know this is a good score, it just isn't good in the context of the rest of my app. Do I retake? I don't really have anything left to study, and have taken all of the practice AAMCs, so I don't know what I could do to raise my score, other than hope for better luck on a January exam. I rarely miss content review questions, but perhaps I would forget some of it by the time I would be able to retake, and I don't want my score to somehow be even lower (although this was a very low score for me).

We are in a similar situation except you had a much verbal score. What was your practice mcat scores? If its significantly higher, I would retake it given that you still have alot of times until Jan MCAT.

Actual score: 34P (PS 14, VR 8, BS 12)
GPA~3.90 @ decent state school

As you can see, the biggest problem is my verbal score. I wasn't really surprised because I always got a 9 on all practice mcats and my practice tests averages is right about 34. How much of a effect would the 8 on verbal have on my application? Is it worthwhile to try for a retake?

This post is for anybody who believes they did poorly/underperformed on the MCAT. Do NOT listen to the people that say you should not retake it. People always spew out statistics stating that you will most likely not improve. This is entirely untrue, and I am not sure as to why people insist it as good advice.

I took it again on August 23, 2011, just a month later, and improved to a 33Q (13 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS). Yes, I improved 7 points in just one month. For the skeptics out there, I am uploading an image as evidence.

That improvement in PS encourages me. I wrote a 31R the first time, with an unsatisfactory PS of 9. What materials did you use to improve? My adviser seems to think that I should retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
That improvement in PS encourages me. I wrote a 31R the first time, with an unsatisfactory PS of 9. What materials did you use to improve? My adviser seems to think that I should retake.
I used mostly ExamKrackers for the Physical Sciences. During the day I would read through the books and do practice AAMC's. I didn't do the EK questions, as they seemed to be just a bunch of trick questions which I believed were a waste of time (especially the Physics passages). At night, when I was too tired to actively read anymore, I listened to Audio Osmosis and believed these helped a tremendous amount. I also did the practice tests from TPR. They're a bit more difficult and may require more knowledge than the real thing, but they help a lot.

Actual score: 34P (PS 14, VR 8, BS 12)
GPA~3.90 @ decent state school

As you can see, the biggest problem is my verbal score. I wasn't really surprised because I always got a 9 on all practice mcats and my practice tests averages is right about 34. How much of a effect would the 8 on verbal have on my application? Is it worthwhile to try for a retake?

no. Do something else productive. 34 is 90% percentile. 8 is like borderline for some schools.

ie Wake Forest and CA schools.

Good job. I averaged 27 on my practice started from 18 to 27. Actual: 32Q

31 R : / (09/11/11) I'm not exactly gunning for top schools, but I am afraid that that 9 in PS could cause me to be screened out broadly. I'm also missing a second semester of gen chem which could explain the 9 (never saw a score under 11 on a practice test) because my test was exceptionally chem heavy. I know that this is a good score, but I'm afraid the 9 could cause me to be screened out broadly, and I think that this limitation could be easily overcome. I have a 3.67 at a school were 1 person actually graduated suma cum laude in the past year, so my GPA is stellar in the context of my school and our premed office seems to think that med schools appreciate that. I had hoped to take a CNA course in the spring, but I could also gun up for a retake.

I'm so conflicted.....sigh : /

31 is matriculating average. I think you're fine. You can retake the test but I would rather put in time to do some stellar and fun ECs.

Wanted to get some ppls opinions on a retake. AAMC practice test averages 32-34. Actual-29P 9PS 11VS 9BS. Know I can do way better on PS, like 11 or 12. BS was expected to be 9 or 10. Verbal is usually 10-12.

I have a 3.85 gpa. 3.8 science gpa, played div. 1AA football, highly regarded undergrad school, and am native american. Have volunteered and all that good stuff plenty.

Just lookin for some opinions.
Thanks everyone!

I think I would retake it. Breaking a 30 is always good. Good luck!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time posting. So I took my exam Aug 18, 2011 and am applying in the summer of 2012. Got a 24R PS - 8 VR - 8 BS - 8 GPA: 3.42 I live in CA, but I'm planning on going out of state. I have close to 3 years of volunteer experience and 2 years of research. Will I be able to get into a US school or do I need to retake? **sidenote: DO isn't an option for me Thanks

You need to retake it.

I took the MCAT on 8/12/11 and scored a 33P (PR 12 VS 10 BS 11). My GPA is a 3.96 at a solid school. Should I retake if I'm interested in some of the top tier schools? (Duke, UVA, etc.) My average on the AAMC practice tests was 35-39 so I feel I could have done a lot better on the actual exam. In addition, I'm currently a junior right now so I have plenty of time to study for a retake if I decide too. Thanks

@Heyitsben: I have a friend who got into Duke with 34R. She had a slightly lower GPA, but extremely good ECs. Is you ECs good? If it is, 33P should be good enough to give you a decent shot. Btw, what's your major, if you're in BME or something ridiculously hard, and have a 3.96 GPA, you should be set.

I took the MCAT on 8/12/11 and scored a 33P (PR 12 VS 10 BS 11). My GPA is a 3.96 at a solid school. Should I retake if I'm interested in some of the top tier schools? (Duke, UVA, etc.) My average on the AAMC practice tests was 35-39 so I feel I could have done a lot better on the actual exam. In addition, I'm currently a junior right now so I have plenty of time to study for a retake if I decide too. Thanks

I think you'd have to be pretty confident that you can do several points (at least 2-3) better. The average from your practice scores suggests this but the other concern would be do you have NEW materials to prepare with? Or do you want to spend more money on them? I improved 6 total points starting with a slightly lower score than yours, however I prepared much harder and with all new materials the second time.

Ok so to retake or not to retake, I scored a 29M 10VR 9PS and 10BS, Its not a 30 so I'm worried and the M is horrible. My GPA is right on the borderline with a double major in biology and exercise physiology. My EC's are great and I am currently working as an ophthmalic assistant. That's my brief app, should I retake?

One question: Where do you want to go? Depending on where you are from, you are certainly capable of getting an interview at your state school. Even so, that doesn't leave you with a whole lot of options. You might want to consider giving it another shot.

I got a 32 (12/10/10).

AAMC average: 34
AAMC 11: 37

I am applying next summer (i'm a junior right now) so I have the opportunity to retake in the winter. I know a 32 is a good score but I'm disappointed that it's below my average (especially since aamc 11 was my best test and my practice test scores were improving as I went along). I was hoping for my mcat to be a strong point since my extracurriculars and gpa are mediocre for med school matriculants. I feel like a 32 mcat will essentially rule me out of most private medical schools.

So do you guys think it's worth retaking?

Last edited:
11p/11v/10b

PS was a little higher than practice (due to massive PS studying the last week or two, I'm sure), VR was spot-on, BS was considerably lower than avg (almost always 12-13 on practice).

The M was a complete shock. My Kaplan instructor always scores my Writing Samples as 5-6. I didn't even know people got Ms.

Considering retake mainly due to Writing. Will I get weeded out?
Also was hoping for a higher-than-avg score overall as my GPA isn't any more than okay.

TX resident, non-trad, avg ECs, applying next cycle for matriculation in 2013.

Should I retake?

Thanks!

Last edited:
11p/11v/10b

PS was a little higher than practice (due to massive PS studying the last week or two, I'm sure), VR was spot-on, BS was considerably lower than avg (almost always 12-13 on practice).

The M was a complete shock. My Kaplan instructor always scores my Writing Samples as 5-6. I didn't even know people got Ms.

Also was hoping for a higher-than-avg score overall as my GPA isn't any more than okay.

Should I retake?

Thanks!

writing score does not matter. I would only consider retaking if your aamc scores were much higher than your actual score.

writing score does not matter. I would only consider retaking if your aamc scores were much higher than your actual score.

At all? I mean, that's really low. Ugh. I hope you're right.

As for your situation, I think it matters where you're applying. With average everything else, a 32 shouldn't keep you out of private schools according to MSAR and the LizzyM school selector. If you want top 20, I would retake. Other than that, I don't think I'd want to go through the trouble. If your ECs are good, you should have many choices.

I got a 32 (12/10/10).

AAMC average: 34
AAMC 11: 37

I am applying next summer (i'm a junior right now) so I have the opportunity to retake in the winter. I know a 32 is a good score but I'm disappointed that it's below my average (especially since aamc 11 was my best test and my practice test scores were improving as I went along). I was hoping for my mcat to be a strong point since my extracurriculars and gpa are mediocre for med school matriculants. I feel like a 32 mcat will essentially rule me out of most private medical schools.

So do you guys think it's worth retaking?

What is your GPA? If you are a junior, you still have time to improve both your GPA and your EC's if you view them as below average. I would focus on those unless you have your heart set on a top tier school.

craftyconqueror said:
11p/11v/10b

Should I retake?

Thanks!

You are a TX resident? You will get into a UT school with an MCAT score of 32 despite the writing fears. An "M" isn't truly that bad, and it is hardly a make or break for US MD programs. Do not retest if your only concern is the writing score.

29L - 11 PS, 10 BS, 08 VR

Non-traditional premed student - I graduated from Penn State in 2008 with a BS in Economics and a 3.2 GPA. I am currently completing a BS in Biochemistry at a State University in New Jersey. I will be graduating this spring (2012), with a science GPA in the 3.85-3.90 range.

I have been working as an emergency medical scribe in the ER of an inner city hospital in New Jersey since January, and I will continue to do so up until entering Med School (if that day shall ever come).

I planned out a three month study schedule for the MCAT and felt like I started off well, fell behind in the middle, and then really crammed for the last three weeks (an obvious mistake).

During the test I took way too much time on earlier questions, especially during the biological and verbal sections, and left myself extremely pressed for time. On the writing sample, I completely froze and found myself struggling to come up with an outline for both essays (the first was a quote along the lines of whether or not war is necessary, and the second along the lines of government censorship). I admit, after hearing that the writing sample is looked at for 30 seconds during grading, I did not practice at all leading up to the test. In hindsight, this was not the best strategy.

I plan on applying to schools during the next cycle (Spring-Fall 2012) for a 2013 matriculation. My goal is to attend a MD school in the NY/NJ area. Would this be best achieved by taking the MCAT a second time?

Hey future doctors, sorry about not posting this on the official retake threat, but I just really needed help answering this question..

So I got a VR9 PS12 BS10 total 31R on the MCAT my first try. I have a 3.62 cum gpa and close to 3.7 science gpa. I'm currently at Ivy leage college (as if this matters), and I have average to above average EC (at least I think).

I'm not aiming for top 10 or top 20 med schools. I just want to get in to a descent med school as in anywhere below top 20's to top 80's or 100's even. I used to get much better scores in practice tests, so I'm kind of disappointed at my score, but if I'm not aiming for the Top20's is this okay do you guys think? The answer I'd like to hear is that the score is just fine and that I don't need to retake it, but I really want some objective opinions on this..

thanks!

You are a TX resident? You will get into a UT school with an MCAT score of 32 despite the writing fears. An "M" isn't truly that bad, and it is hardly a make or break for US MD programs. Do not retest if your only concern is the writing score.

Thanks for the info. Would love to have seen a better (closer to avg) BS score, but the Writing shock was my biggest concern.
Haven't taken the science courses since the mid-90's, so I had to prep a lot for this score. As long as I won't get weeded out, I don't want to put all that effort in again. Got EC's so work on... ;)

Hey future doctors, sorry about not posting this on the official retake threat, but I just really needed help answering this question..

So I got a VR9 PS12 BS10 total 31R on the MCAT my first try. I have a 3.62 cum gpa and close to 3.7 science gpa. I'm currently at Ivy leage college (as if this matters), and I have average to above average EC (at least I think).

I'm not aiming for top 10 or top 20 med schools. I just want to get in to a descent med school as in anywhere below top 20's to top 80's or 100's even. I used to get much better scores in practice tests, so I'm kind of disappointed at my score, but if I'm not aiming for the Top20's is this okay do you guys think? The answer I'd like to hear is that the score is just fine and that I don't need to retake it, but I really want some objective opinions on this..

thanks!

According to my MSAR, you will be just fine at mid-tier schools. My GPA is a little lower and my MCAT (barely) higher, and I expect a fair shake at many decent schools. Good luck!

VR: 11
BS: 10
PS: 10
3.82 GPA

I know the guidelines say don't take with a 30+, but I'd appreciate your opinions. Ideally I'd like to go to CU Med (Colorado), but as long as somewhere in the US will take me, that's fine.

I took MCAT twice already. For the first time, I did not prep fully. But for the second time, I studied for another 3 months.

My scores are

1st time PS8/VR8/BS11 27M (used EK)
2nd time PS 14/VR6/BS10 30M (used TBR)

My PS jumped from 8 to 14, but my VR dropped from 8 to 6. I really don't know what happened on both PS and VR.....But one thing I do remember was for the 1st VR, it had more scientific passages and those fit my taste, but I run out of time. For the 2nd VR, it had more philosophy and art passages, which I hated......

Dear SDNers, should I retake again?

Does 6 hurt me in anyway even if I retake again but get a better VR score (say like 9 or 10)?

THanks@

I took MCAT twice already. For the first time, I did not prep fully. But for the second time, I studied for another 3 months.

My scores are

My PS jumped from 8 to 14, but my VR dropped from 8 to 6. I really don't know what happened on both PS and VR.....But one thing I do remember was for the 1st VR, it had more scientific passages and those fit my taste, but I run out of time. For the 2nd VR, it had more philosophy and art passages, which I hated......

Does 6 hurt me in anyway even if I retake again but get a better VR score (say like 9 or 10)?

THanks@

Yeah that 6 is a red flag for a lot medical schools. Definitely retake and aim to increase your verbal.

hey SDNers,

This is my first post on this forum and I would really appreciate your opinions.
I just got my MCAT scores today and here's my story.
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.77
MCAT Score: 32N
PS:12
BS:10
VR:10
I've been volunteering at a hospital, assisted a grad student in his research for two semesters, and i have been working almost full-time while in school.

are these enough to get me into med school? or should I try to retake the test? I'm a little worried about the N I got from the Writing Sample, and if the 32 is competitive enough. thanks so much!

You should be good. 32 is a good score. And your GPA and ECs are good. Don't worry about writing, AAMC is certainly not. They're planning to take away the essay section in their new version of the MCAT.

3.82 GPA

I know the guidelines say don't take with a 30+, but I'd appreciate your opinions. Ideally I'd like to go to CU Med (Colorado), but as long as somewhere in the US will take me, that's fine.

Depending on ECs and ability to interview well, you should be just fine at a mid-tier US allopathic. Apply to Colorado for sure! You are within range, so hopefully they will see something they like. :)

Hello all,
I am wondering to retake this test. I wish to be competitive at the top schools especially uMich. I have a 3.88 cumulative 4.0 science.
My AAMC average was 39 with scores from 37 to 44 on AAMC 11.
So should I retake?

3.82 GPA

I wouldn't retest. Focus on the rest of your application. Your stats will not be what prevents you from getting an interview at CU.

leap said:

My scores are

THanks@

Very interesting breakdown. My concern is what will you prepare with if you retest again? You used TBR and saw a big increase in your PS score. I would suggest really focusing on verbal and taking the exam again. But make sure you study science as well in some fashion because you don't want to see those scores fall. However, I wouldn't expect another 14 on PS but it may not be out of the question.

You need to retest if you want into a US MD program, though. The 6 in VR will be a very large red flag.

j2dloso said:
hey SDNers,

This is my first post on this forum and I would really appreciate your opinions.
I just got my MCAT scores today and here's my story.
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.77
MCAT Score: 32N
PS:12
BS:10
VR:10
I've been volunteering at a hospital, assisted a grad student in his research for two semesters, and i have been working almost full-time while in school.

are these enough to get me into med school? or should I try to retake the test? I'm a little worried about the N I got from the Writing Sample, and if the 32 is competitive enough. thanks so much!

You are in good shape. Don't worry about the N or your MCAT score. Keep improving your EC's and you will have some options.

Clumpofstuff said:
Hello all,
I am wondering to retake this test. I wish to be competitive at the top schools especially uMich. I have a 3.88 cumulative 4.0 science.
My AAMC average was 39 with scores from 37 to 44 on AAMC 11.
So should I retake?

I wouldn't suggest retesting. However, that 9 in VR may keep you out of most of the very top schools. But, if you apply broadly you may get a shot at a few of them. Your GPA is good. If I were you, I would focus on the rest of your application and make your EC's as strong as possible.

Hella weird distribution I know. I was averaging 36-38 on practices so this was a tad depressing. Will the 9 get me screened out of top 20 schools? If I desire top 20 schools should I retake?

Thanks very much.

Hella weird distribution I know. I was averaging 36-38 on practices so this was a tad depressing. Will the 9 get me screened out of top 20 schools? If I desire top 20 schools should I retake?

Thanks very much.

If you're dead set on a top 20, you need to retake since bs section is the most important one for them. 9 won't get you screened out, but it will definitely hurt your chances a lot. If you're ok with a mid-tier med school, this score is absolutely fine.

VR9 PS12 BS10 WSR
cum gpa: 3.62
sci gpa: around 3.68

I'm not aiming for top 20 schools. I'm aiming for mid tier schools.
I hear that BS section is the most important.. will a 10 in BS hurt my chances alot if I'm applying to mid tier schools?

Hello all, im trying to apply for mainly the texas schools so here's my dilemma

i took the mcat three times with
24R
23R
26R

before the 26, I was averaging 34-36 on the TPR tests and took a course. But during the exam, I just lost track of time and ended up guessing on like one passage for all the sections. and leaving 2-3 questions blank on the PS/BS.

Now if i take it again it will be my 4th time.
my uGPA was a 3.5 but my SMP GPA so far is a 4.0

If you're dead set on a top 20, you need to retake since bs section is the most important one for them. 9 won't get you screened out, but it will definitely hurt your chances a lot. If you're ok with a mid-tier med school, this score is absolutely fine.

beginning said:
VR9 PS12 BS10 WSR
cum gpa: 3.62
sci gpa: around 3.68

I'm not aiming for top 20 schools. I'm aiming for mid tier schools.
I hear that BS section is the most important.. will a 10 in BS hurt my chances alot if I'm applying to mid tier schools?

Where did you both hear this? I'm not entirely sure that its true but am interested to hear what you guys have to say.

@beginning, I don't think you necessarily need to retest. Generally, a 31 is about the average MCAT needed for admissions SOMEWHERE across the country. Obviously, if you are aiming for a top 30ish school, you would need to retest.

GandalfTheWhite said:
Hello all, im trying to apply for mainly the texas schools so here's my dilemma

i took the mcat three times with
24R
23R
26R

before the 26, I was averaging 34-36 on the TPR tests and took a course. But during the exam, I just lost track of time and ended up guessing on like one passage for all the sections. and leaving 2-3 questions blank on the PS/BS.

Now if i take it again it will be my 4th time.
my uGPA was a 3.5 but my SMP GPA so far is a 4.0

Do you lose track of time on your practice exams or is it an issue of nerves on the real thing?

I took the 9/2 MCAT, got a 30Q (11/9/10). I was happy with my score but know I can do better... I'm a non-trad but am worried about my gpa from undergrad, 3.4. I have decent ECs and work at a drug research company. Should I re-take?

Where did you both hear this? I'm not entirely sure that its true but am interested to hear what you guys have to say.

@beginning, I don't think you necessarily need to retest. Generally, a 31 is about the average MCAT needed for admissions SOMEWHERE across the country. Obviously, if you are aiming for a top 30ish school, you would need to retest.

Do you lose track of time on your practice exams or is it an issue of nerves on the real thing?

real thing deal. on the aamc practices i had about 10 minutes on ps/20-25 on bs/ and maybe 2-3minutes on V.

34R, 4.0 GPA, biological sciences major. Looking at top schools; specifically interested in Brown, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Yale (I know this one is a reach). Worried that the 10 in BS will really hurt me (practice scores were always 13-14), but I don't know if i will be able to replicate the VR score. However, I heard BS was the most important section.

AAMC 8- 13 ps, 11 vr, 14 bs - 38
AAMC 9- 13 ps, 10 vr, 13 bs - 36
AAMC 10- 13 ps, 10 vr, 13 bs - 36
AAMC 11- 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs - 35

Should I retake?

real thing deal. on the aamc practices i had about 10 minutes on ps/20-25 on bs/ and maybe 2-3minutes on V.

So would you consider the problems to be nerves or did you just feel that the real test was much more difficult than the practice exams? Because if you are missing an entire passage on each section, that is a huge time management problem. I would only recommend retesting if you feel like you can somehow calm down and actually finish each section on time. Exactly how to do that is hard for me to help you with.

dreamer67 said:
34R, 4.0 GPA, biological sciences major. Looking at top schools; specifically interested in Brown, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Yale (I know this one is a reach). Worried that the 10 in BS will really hurt me (practice scores were always 13-14), but I don't know if i will be able to replicate the VR score. However, I heard BS was the most important section.

AAMC 8- 13 ps, 11 vr, 14 bs - 38
AAMC 9- 13 ps, 10 vr, 13 bs - 36
AAMC 10- 13 ps, 10 vr, 13 bs - 36
AAMC 11- 11 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs - 35

Should I retake?

Where is everyone hearing that BS is the most important section? I'm genuinely curious because I have been under the assumption that all sections are viewed equally with maybe a slight edge to VR.

You scored a 34 though, with a 12 on VR. I wouldn't retest - you should be able to get some interviews at some pretty good schools. Maybe not Yale, Harvard, etc but certainly a good shot at BU, Tufts, Brown.

Hey guys,

So I took the 8/12 test and got a 12P 8V 12BS with a P in writing (32P overall). Now I'm also from California and I'd like to avoid a retake if possible. My gpa is 3.78 cum and ~3.85 science with my major being Biochemistry & Mol. Bio. I have 3 years of research experience and I'm working on getting some more clinical experience this year (4th year of college).

My other extracurriculars are ok with the major ones being a student counselor in the bio sci department at my school and president of scholarship for my fraternity (managing study hours for members who don't make grades etc.)

Now I'm not aiming for top tier schools or anything like that I'd be happy with any school just about, if I can stay in california that'd be great but I'm not totally against leaving california either. So do you think I should retake to possibly improve my verbal score? Some of the counselors at my school said I wouldn't need to retake with my GPA and extracurriculars but I'd like more opinions, thanks! :laugh:

Hey guys,

So I took the 8/12 test and got a 12P 8V 12BS with a P in writing (32P overall). Now I'm also from California and I'd like to avoid a retake if possible. My gpa is 3.78 cum and ~3.85 science with my major being Biochemistry & Mol. Bio. I have 3 years of research experience and I'm working on getting some more clinical experience this year (4th year of college).

Nice sn. I think if you're not worried about staying in CA, you might be able to get by with an 8 in Verbal (with your strong science scores and GPA). If you really want to avoid retaking it as you said, I wouldn't retake. But if your actual test score did not reflect your practice test scores, then I would definitely think about it.

Nice sn. I think if you're not worried about staying in CA, you might be able to get by with an 8 in Verbal (with your strong science scores and GPA). If you really want to avoid retaking it as you said, I wouldn't retake. But if your actual test score did not reflect your practice test scores, then I would definitely think about it.

I was scoring an 8 avg on my verbal with EK101 (1001? whatever it is) and my aamc avg was 32 so I pretty much nailed exactly my average so the test did reflect my practice tests. Guess that means I shouldn't retake...now to find some schools lol

ps. I like your sn too haha

So would you consider the problems to be nerves or did you just feel that the real test was much more difficult than the practice exams? Because if you are missing an entire passage on each section, that is a huge time management problem. I would only recommend retesting if you feel like you can somehow calm down and actually finish each section on time. Exactly how to do that is hard for me to help you with.

Where is everyone hearing that BS is the most important section? I'm genuinely curious because I have been under the assumption that all sections are viewed equally with maybe a slight edge to VR.

You scored a 34 though, with a 12 on VR. I wouldn't retest - you should be able to get some interviews at some pretty good schools. Maybe not Yale, Harvard, etc but certainly a good shot at BU, Tufts, Brown.

honestly, idk what happened. but i was averaging 11-12 on both sciences and 10s on verbal. however, idk how indicative the aamc tests are for the current mcat. I just wanted to know if adcoms look down upon 4th test takers even if the scores do increase..

honestly, idk what happened. but i was averaging 11-12 on both sciences and 10s on verbal. however, idk how indicative the aamc tests are for the current mcat. I just wanted to know if adcoms look down upon 4th test takers even if the scores do increase..

Well I think if you could show a substantial increase in your score like your practice tests suggest, then I think they would view that positively. I can't speak for every school, though, because each one seems to use the MCAT differently. Also, the general consensus is that the AAMC practice tests are fairly indicative of the real thing or at least the most indicative tool we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.