Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,

I'm conflicted about whether or not I should retake the MCAT September 23rd, wait until January, or stick with my current score. My score from 2014 is 33 overall (91%), 12 PS (95%), 9 VR (67%), and 12 BS (95%). I intend to apply primarily to MD/PhD programs in 2016. I just graduated from an Ivy league school as a molecular biology major with a 3.55 overall GPA and a science GPA of >3.7 (high honors for my department). Over the next two years I will be working as a postbac in a research lab. I completed a research thesis as an undergrad and participated in summer internships the past 4 summers. I have ~30 hours of shadowing experience and plan to increase my shadowing/volunteering before I apply next year.

I am currently following the Princeton Review self-paced study guide (~15 weeks), and have 7 weeks until my planned test date. Although I have about 4 weeks left of reviewing material (giving me ~3.5 weeks to review my weakest areas), I took three practice Princeton Review tests and got a 506, 508, and a 510. My goal is >520. While I feel the research component of my application is strong, I am concerned about the competitiveness of my GPA/ 2014 MCAT score. As I am also working full time while preparing for the MCAT, it is unclear if I will be able to achieve an MCAT score that is much better, given my current practice test results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm conflicted about whether or not I should retake the MCAT September 23rd, wait until January, or stick with my current score. My score from 2014 is 33 overall (91%), 12 PS (95%), 9 VR (67%), and 12 BS (95%). I intend to apply primarily to MD/PhD programs in 2016. I just graduated from an Ivy league school as a molecular biology major with a 3.55 overall GPA and a science GPA of >3.7 (high honors for my department). Over the next two years I will be working as a postbac in a research lab. I completed a research thesis as an undergrad and participated in summer internships the past 4 summers. I have ~30 hours of shadowing experience and plan to increase my shadowing/volunteering before I apply next year.

I am currently following the Princeton Review self-paced study guide (~15 weeks), and have 7 weeks until my planned test date. Although I have about 4 weeks left of reviewing material (giving me ~3.5 weeks to review my weakest areas), I took three practice Princeton Review tests and got a 506, 508, and a 510. My goal is >520. While I feel the research component of my application is strong, I am concerned about the competitiveness of my GPA/ 2014 MCAT score. As I am also working full time while preparing for the MCAT, it is unclear if I will be able to achieve an MCAT score that is much better, given my current practice test results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Where do you want to do your MD/PhD? That makes a difference.

Having said that, I still wonder if you're setting yourself up for a similar score at best, given the constraints on your time for studying.

Where do you want to do your MD/PhD? That makes a difference.

Having said that, I still wonder if you're setting yourself up for a similar score at best, given the constraints on your time for studying.

My top choices are UPenn and WUSTL. I will definitely also apply to Maryland (in-state), Tufts, and RWJMS.

I have the same feeling. I've heard that most of the practice tests available are harder than what people encounter on the actual test. However, I don't want to assume that I will do significantly better than I have on practice tests. I have the option of taking 1.5 weeks of vacation before my test, but this might not be enough time to reinforce all of the material. I unfortunately lose access to the online materials for Princeton Review in November, and it costs $500 to extend access for 6 months...

Members don't see this ad :)
My top choices are UPenn and WUSTL. I will definitely also apply to Maryland (in-state), Tufts, and RWJMS.

I have the same feeling. I've heard that most of the practice tests available are harder than what people encounter on the actual test. However, I don't want to assume that I will do significantly better than I have on practice tests. I have the option of taking 1.5 weeks of vacation before my test, but this might not be enough time to reinforce all of the material. I unfortunately lose access to the online materials for Princeton Review in November, and it costs $500 to extend access for 6 months...

Those are both top schools, so your MCAT is on the lower end there (my assumption from looking previously, correct me if I am wrong). However, it is not unreasonable. Those programs will look at more than just the MCAT. Thus, if I were you, I'd ask your research advisors (who I assume will be writing letters on your behalf) what they think. They too probably went to highly ranked programs since you're at an Ivy. Tell them your exact concern, and see what they recommend. If your research is as impressive as you made it out to be, then that might outweigh the relatively lower MCAT score and GPA. The only way it would though, is if your advisors actually write letters that say it does.

Hey folks,

I'm starting a graduate program this fall (1 year Master's in Biomedical Sciences at Rutgers). I intend to apply to medical school in the 2016 cycle, if all goes well.

My most recent scores from May 2014 (old MCAT):

Physical Sciences - 11 - (89%)
Verbal Reasoning - 11 - (95%)
Biological Sciences - 11 - (88%)
Total - 33 - (91%)

I understand my scores are decent enough for MD schools, but I'm concerned that not taking the new MCAT could count against me. I know some schools aren't accepting the old test after the 2016 or 2017 cycle.

Would it be a bad idea to retake the exam?
If there are schools that you are interested in which will accept the old MCAT by the time you apply, then do not retake. You have an excellent score as is.

Hey everyone,

I'm an URM non-traditional NY resident and I just got my scores back for the July test:

I got a 506 (71%) (127 - 79%/126 - 70% /125 - 54%/128-86%). I have a low uGPA (3.3), but have been doing well in my DIY post-bac (4.11 - the school gives A+). I didn't take biochem (taking it next semester) so I don't think the score I got reflects what I'm capable of in that section.
I'm applying to low-mid tier MD and DO programs for the 2016 cycle. Should I apply to SMPs or should I retake in January?
Thanks for your help!

Hi -

I took the MCAT mid July and just got back my results. I had really bad nerves going into the exam and ran out of time on the physical sciences section (rushed through a quarter of the questions) so I knew that that section's score would be low. I didn't feel particularly confident about Biological Sciences either but I felt good about Verbal and Psych/Sociology. I scored the following:

PS 125
VR 128
BS 129
Psych 129
Total: 511 (85th)

I am registered for an exam this Saturday and am debating about whether or not to write it. I hesitate because although I think I could do a lot better on the PS section, I'm not confident I can replicate my score in the other sections. Especially because my gut feeling for bio ended up being totally wrong, that makes me even more nervous. My top 2 school choices will take the most RECENT score, not the best.

What do you guys think? Would love to hear your thoughts...especially on the big variance between the PS score and the other sections. Thanks!

Hi,
I took the MCAT in mid july and saw my results. I am registered for an exam this friday but am unsure whether to take it or not as I think I can improve my scores in Bio, chem and pysch sections. Below are my scores:
New score old score
Bio: 127 (77 percentile)-------- 10
Chem: 127( 79 percentile)----- 10
Pyscho: 128(86 percentile)----11
CARS: 130 (97 percentile)------13
total: 512 (87th percentile)-------- 33.
I know its a short notice, I would greatly appreciate if someone would reply before friday. Thank you :)

So how do I go about letting my schools know that I'm retaking? I've updated it on my AMCAS but is that enough? Since my apps are now being marked as complete, I would hate for my schools to look at these scores only without knowing I'm retaking

Hi -

I took the MCAT mid July and just got back my results. I had really bad nerves going into the exam and ran out of time on the physical sciences section (rushed through a quarter of the questions) so I knew that that section's score would be low. I didn't feel particularly confident about Biological Sciences either but I felt good about Verbal and Psych/Sociology. I scored the following:

PS 125
VR 128
BS 129
Psych 129
Total: 511 (85th)

I am registered for an exam this Saturday and am debating about whether or not to write it. I hesitate because although I think I could do a lot better on the PS section, I'm not confident I can replicate my score in the other sections. Especially because my gut feeling for bio ended up being totally wrong, that makes me even more nervous. My top 2 school choices will take the most RECENT score, not the best.

What do you guys think? Would love to hear your thoughts...especially on the big variance between the PS score and the other sections. Thanks!

That's a solid score, I would not retake. The chem is still an 8, which is not out of the realm of possibility, especially since the other sections are quite good. Assuming decent EC's and wise applications, you will probably be okay without a retake

Hi,
I took the MCAT in mid july and saw my results. I am registered for an exam this friday but am unsure whether to take it or not as I think I can improve my scores in Bio, chem and pysch sections. Below are my scores:
New score old score
Bio: 127 (77 percentile)-------- 10
Chem: 127( 79 percentile)----- 10
Pyscho: 128(86 percentile)----11
CARS: 130 (97 percentile)------13
total: 512 (87th percentile)-------- 33.
I know its a short notice, I would greatly appreciate if someone would reply before friday. Thank you :)

Nope take it and run. Unless you are 100% confident you will score above a 36+, a small 1-2 point gain overall will not make much difference. You also have the possibility of going down, which will be much worse.

Also, a 512 is probably between a 31 and 32 (closer to 32 though)

Last edit = taking again on Friday, and then waiting for score release into September, will put you kind of late in the cycle.

Guys, do I have ANY CHANCE at an M.D school with a very poor verbal reasoning? Long story short, I'm at a 3.8 in biomedical engineering and decent ECs.
Took it January 2015 and scored a 26 (11Ps, 6VR, 9BS)
Retook it July 2015 and got
PS -130
VR - 122
BS - 128
Psych/soc - 129
Overall - 509

Thanks!

Hi I just got my July 18th results back and I'm not sure if I should try and retake or not my scores are:
Physical Sciences -127
Verbal- 126
Bio -129
Psych- 131
Overall 513
I'm from canada and worried about my verbal score. The cut off at a major school here is 125 this year. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, do I have ANY CHANCE at an M.D school with a very poor verbal reasoning? Long story short, I'm at a 3.8 in biomedical engineering and decent ECs.
Took it January 2015 and scored a 26 (11Ps, 6VR, 9BS)
Retook it July 2015 and got
PS -130
VR - 122
BS - 128
Psych/soc - 129
Overall - 509

Thanks!

You seem to be between a 5 and 6 on the old scale, which unfortunately will probably get you screened out. Some do a hard screen for anything below a 7, and then I think the VR will raise some red flags for other places that do not do that hard screen. Overall it's a decent score but the one section could hurt you. What about DO? They are usually more forgiving.

Hello! Just got my scores back from August MCAT.

PS-129
VR-126
BS-128
P/S-128

Total 511 (85 percentile)

Any thoughts on retaking?

I have a GPA of 3.95, perhaps a science GPA of 3.8+, with research and volunteering.

Last edited:
Hey, wrote the early August MCAT.

PS-130
CARS-125
BS-128
PS-128

Total 511 (85th percentile)

GPA 3.90, with international studies (second language), shadowing, research, business management, and volunteering

From canada, would this be acceptable for Canadian schools? or should I retake? Really afraid to retake because CARS was just scary hard.

Hey, wrote the early August MCAT.

PS-130
CARS-125
BS-128
PS-128

Total 511 (85th percentile)

GPA 3.90, with international studies (second language), shadowing, research, business management, and volunteering

From canada, would this be acceptable for Canadian schools? or should I retake? Really afraid to retake because CARS was just scary hard.

Hey! I was in the same boat! My CARS score was the lowest (126) and I considered retaking.
It really depends on what province you are from! You make the current cut off for U of T and Mcmaster. For U of T they generally look at other things in your application so you may be okay there. For Mac as they only look at the verbal section it may not be competitive enough to get an interview but maybe you can improve your application score doing well on CASPER.

If you are an out of province applicants for UBC/Calgarg/Saskatchewan your verbal score does not meet their OOP cut offs! But if you are from there then no worries!

Bets of luck!

Just got my scores today from my August 5th test. Really bummed out. I was getting 511 on practice tests and ended up getting a 498 on the real test. I don't know what happened but the test center was super noisey.

Anyways should I even bother anymore with this cycle?
I feel like it's too late to retake for this cycle. I don't know what to do. :sorry:
Physical sciences- 127 (79%)
CARS-123 (33%)
Bio- 126 (67%)
Psych- 122 (22%)

I'm a graduate student with sGPA of 3.59 and cGPA of 3.67

My undergrad gpa was mediocre so I went ahead and got a masters. My EC, shadowing, and medical exposure is superb.

Hey! I was in the same boat! My CARS score was the lowest (126) and I considered retaking.
It really depends on what province you are from! You make the current cut off for U of T and Mcmaster. For U of T they generally look at other things in your application so you may be okay there. For Mac as they only look at the verbal section it may not be competitive enough to get an interview but maybe you can improve your application score doing well on CASPER.

If you are an out of province applicants for UBC/Calgarg/Saskatchewan your verbal score does not meet their OOP cut offs! But if you are from there then no worries!

Bets of luck!

Thanks for the reply, I actually am IP for Alberta and am applying to either UofA or UofC

513 with 127/131/128/127. I'd really like some advice about if I should retake or not. I studied way less than I could/should have because of a death in the family that took a lot of my time and energy, so I was really relieved to have gotten the score I did. However, I really think I could do better if I studied the way I wanted to to begin with. I'm just worried that the second time around I'd get a test on everything I'm weak at and my score would go down. Does anyone have any idea about the cost/benefit of getting my score up a handful of points (I think I could maybe hit a 520...)? Assuming that my GPA/EC/etc are okay, how much of a difference would a few points make? Also, I'm a little worried about my CARS score being higher than my science scores. There is lots of advice for people with lower CARS than sciences, so it feels a little weird to be in the opposite boat. I've always done well on verbal reasoning type things, so I know that score isn't a fluke and I could more than likely replicate it if I retook the mcat, but does it make me seem horribly unbalanced to have lower science like that and a higher CARS?

513 with 127/131/128/127. I'd really like some advice about if I should retake or not. I studied way less than I could/should have because of a death in the family that took a lot of my time and energy, so I was really relieved to have gotten the score I did. However, I really think I could do better if I studied the way I wanted to to begin with. I'm just worried that the second time around I'd get a test on everything I'm weak at and my score would go down. Does anyone have any idea about the cost/benefit of getting my score up a handful of points (I think I could maybe hit a 520...)? Assuming that my GPA/EC/etc are okay, how much of a difference would a few points make? Also, I'm a little worried about my CARS score being higher than my science scores. There is lots of advice for people with lower CARS than sciences, so it feels a little weird to be in the opposite boat. I've always done well on verbal reasoning type things, so I know that score isn't a fluke and I could more than likely replicate it if I retook the mcat, but does it make me seem horribly unbalanced to have lower science like that and a higher CARS?

I probably wouldn't retake. Lets say you regress one point on CARS to 130, and score 129s on everything else, you end up with a 517. Thats a great score but it's probably not a big enough jump to help your application. So it really would be 520 or bust, while exposing yourself to a redundant or deleterious score. 513 is good 127s are not going to keep your application from being read.

Hey everyone, interesting situation here I guess. I took the old MCAT once (January 2015) and scored a 23 - not good, I know. I had to take it out of state which jogged me, and didn't have much time to devote to studying as I was busy with finishing up my core science courses (decided to do pre-med halfway through college, so spent a lot of time playing catch up). I need to re-take the test but the problem is I've just graduated from college a couple weeks ago and don't have the Psychology or Sociology classes required for the new MCAT on my transcript, there was no way I could have fit them into my schedule.

So if I re-take I will have to learn those new subjects, re-study the core subjects, and hopefully get a good score on the test, and if that's the case I'd have to take Psych and Soc college courses to have it on a transcript. I really feel terrible, like the new MCAT rolled out at the worst time and I'm hurting because of this timing.

Some of my basic stats in case you're interested:
- University of Michigan, English Major
- 3.5 overall GPA, 3.1 science GPA (low, I know)
- Over a year of medical research, a year of shadowing and clinical volunteering
- Multiple honors/service societies & outreach programs in college
- LORs from MD, science professor, English professor (major)

Honest opinions? I've already spent a month shadowing a podiatrist and looking into the profession, planning on applying to Pod school later this year. I know my GPA hinders my chances of getting into allopathic schools, unless I did extremely well on MCAT. I am going to get in contact with a local DO to shadow and gather my impressions on that pathway as well. If you think I should re-take, any study tips?

Thanks in advance, sorry bout the long-winded nature of this post.

Hey everyone, interesting situation here I guess. I took the old MCAT once (January 2015) and scored a 23 - not good, I know. I had to take it out of state which jogged me, and didn't have much time to devote to studying as I was busy with finishing up my core science courses (decided to do pre-med halfway through college, so spent a lot of time playing catch up). I need to re-take the test but the problem is I've just graduated from college a couple weeks ago and don't have the Psychology or Sociology classes required for the new MCAT on my transcript, there was no way I could have fit them into my schedule.

So if I re-take I will have to learn those new subjects, re-study the core subjects, and hopefully get a good score on the test, and if that's the case I'd have to take Psych and Soc college courses to have it on a transcript. I really feel terrible, like the new MCAT rolled out at the worst time and I'm hurting because of this timing.

Some of my basic stats in case you're interested:
- University of Michigan, English Major
- 3.5 overall GPA, 3.1 science GPA (low, I know)
- Over a year of medical research, a year of shadowing and clinical volunteering
- Multiple honors/service societies & outreach programs in college
- LORs from MD, science professor, English professor (major)

Honest opinions? I've already spent a month shadowing a podiatrist and looking into the profession, planning on applying to Pod school later this year. I know my GPA hinders my chances of getting into allopathic schools, unless I did extremely well on MCAT. I am going to get in contact with a local DO to shadow and gather my impressions on that pathway as well. If you think I should re-take, any study tips?

Thanks in advance, sorry bout the long-winded nature of this post.

I don't have any insight into the podiatry application process, but from what I've read I think a 23 is a solid score for them.

If you're wanting to go DO, I think a 23 will be below what you would want for the MCAT. The average matriculant score is about a 27. Obviously some of the newer DO schools will have lower numbers, but your sGPA is just a bit low as well so that would be a couple strikes so to speak. There are lots of posts about study tips for the new MCAT ... https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam ... With the psych/sociology, in my opinion, taking the classes won't be a huge necessity. Most of that material seems to be learning how to dissect the passages and graphs, and then also rote memorization. If you have a background in research/stats, that will help for the data interpretation. PM me if you have other questions for psych/soc, as this was my undergrad/grad area of study.

For allopathic, your numbers won't be high enough unfortunately. You'd definitely retake for that, and possibly look into some post-bacc grade improvement or SMP programs for the GPA. The overall is solid, but the science is low for MD.

Hello,

So I got my August 22 test score back and I am in a dilemma here - Like many other people verbal slapped me in the face once again but the other sciences went really well so I don't know what to do... I know most Canadian schools are out of question - except maybe university of toronto. I was just wondering if any of you know of any U.S schools that doesn't look too heavily at verbal and maybe more at the overall score?

Here is the breakdown:

Phys: 129 (93)
Verbal: 124 (44)
Bio: 129 (93)
Psych: 131 (98)

Overall: 513 (89)

My cumulative GPA is 3.83/4.00 (this is for everything - Canadian schools don't really separate science and overall).

Thank you,

Hey everyone, just got my MCAT score back from August. I just worried about the CARS score. I know the overall score should be okay for most state schools--I'm from Texas.

Physical: 130 (97%)
CARS: 126 (70%)
Biological: 130 (97%)
Psych/Soc: 128 (86%)

Overall: 514 (91%)

My cumulative GPA is 3.89, and my science GPA is a bit higher. I was looking to apply to some state schools but also some schools like Baylor and possibly UPenn/other schools like that.

Thanks everyone!

Hello,

So I got my August 22 test score back and I am in a dilemma here - Like many other people verbal slapped me in the face once again but the other sciences went really well so I don't know what to do... I know most Canadian schools are out of question - except maybe university of toronto. I was just wondering if any of you know of any U.S schools that doesn't look too heavily at verbal and maybe more at the overall score?

Here is the breakdown:

Phys: 129 (93)
Verbal: 124 (44)
Bio: 129 (93)
Psych: 131 (98)

Overall: 513 (89)

My cumulative GPA is 3.83/4.00 (this is for everything - Canadian schools don't really separate science and overall).

Thank you,

I'm not sure on exact schools. It may be best to check out the MSAR and see what the 10th percentile verbal scores are for different programs. Your overall score is solid, and the Verbal is about a 7 on the old scale. It's on the border, but you may be ok if you apply wisely/widely/broadly.

Hey everyone, just got my MCAT score back from August. I just worried about the CARS score. I know the overall score should be okay for most state schools--I'm from Texas.

Physical: 130 (97%)
CARS: 126 (70%)
Biological: 130 (97%)
Psych/Soc: 128 (86%)

Overall: 514 (91%)

My cumulative GPA is 3.89, and my science GPA is a bit higher. I was looking to apply to some state schools but also some schools like Baylor and possibly UPenn/other schools like that.

Thanks everyone!

No you should be good for the Texas schools. The 126 is a 9 on the old scale, so you're fine. Your score overall is probably too low for UPenn, but give Baylor a shot since you're in TX. You want to be within 2 points of the median MCAT at a school, so for you you'll want to see medians around a 33, with reach schools at a 35 or so.

I took the August 22 MCAT, had an issue where my test center started three hours late so I was way more stressed than I should have been and was burnt out by Psych.

C/P: 130
CARS: 128
B/B: 129
P/S: 126
Score: 513 (89th)

I expected 518-519 based on my FL and know that I can do better. Was definitely surprised when I checked my score. I was/am maybe still aiming for top-tier med school but I'm not sure if a retake is now necessary for that.

My GPA can help offset my score I think, it's 3.95 for total and BCPM. I have two research positions, two volunteering, shadowing, a lot of club leadership, and a LOT of teaching. By the time I apply I'll have taken a grad course at my university and should hopefully have a publication at least in review!

Should I consider a retake if I still want to have a chance at privates/top-tier schools? I'm honestly just, well. Quite confused and weirdly disappointed and unsure of what to do.

Hi guys i just need some help because i am really lost
I just took the MCAT for the first time
and scored a 495
C/P:125
CARS: 123
B/B:123
Psych/Soc:124
my uGPA: 3.4

what should i do?
should i retake and take a year off?

Sept. 3rd Exam:
C/P- 127 (79%)
CARS- 129 (93%)
B/BC- 130 (97%)
P/S- 128 (86%)
Overall- 514 (91%)
cGPA and BCPM- 3.2
Biochem major/math minor at a top ranked private uni, 3 yrs research exp, club leadership positions, okay service and clinical exposure
I know my GPA's are low, I was hoping to really rock the MCAT to kind of make up for it but I don't think its enough. Disappointed on my C/P section.
I want to go MD but also open to DO. Any thoughts?

You'd definitely get in DO. Low GPA but I'd still apply MD as well if I were you. A 3.2 isn't UNHEARD of getting in especially from a top uni. If you've got good EC's too that'll only help your case.

I took the August 22 MCAT, had an issue where my test center started three hours late so I was way more stressed than I should have been and was burnt out by Psych.

CARS: 128
B/B: 129
P/S: 126
Score: 513 (89th)

I expected 518-519 based on my FL and know that I can do better. Was definitely surprised when I checked my score. I was/am maybe still aiming for top-tier med school but I'm not sure if a retake is now necessary for that.

My GPA can help offset my score I think, it's 3.95 for total and BCPM. I have two research positions, two volunteering, shadowing, a lot of club leadership, and a LOT of teaching. By the time I apply I'll have taken a grad course at my university and should hopefully have a publication at least in review!

Should I consider a retake if I still want to have a chance at privates/top-tier schools? I'm honestly just, well. Quite confused and weirdly disappointed and unsure of what to do.

This is a tough call because if you were to retake and did not noticeably improve, or even did worse, then adcoms will question your judgment. But if you are very sure that you will improve by 5-6 points, then the retake would be necessary for those top level schools. On the flip side, your numbers are very solid for almost all schools you would apply to, save for the upper tier ones

So,

CARS:124
B/B:124
P/S:125
Overall:498
uGPA: 3.42

MD? DO? Podiatry? Anything else?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what to recommend for podiatry, but you would want to retake for DO and for sure MD. Your overall GPA is solid for DO, but the MCAT will get you screened out for both DO/MD so you'll want to retake.

Hi guys i just need some help because i am really lost
I just took the MCAT for the first time
and scored a 495
CARS: 123
B/B:123
Psych/Soc:124
my uGPA: 3.4

what should i do?
should i retake and take a year off?

Yep for sure will have to retake. This score will get you screened out for both DO/MD. What were your practice FL scores like going in?

Hey guys! Just got my Sept 3 score back -- should I retake the test in January? :cryi:

cGPA: 3.75
BCPM GPA: 3.8
-----
CARS: 127
B/B: 126
Psych/Soc: 128
Total: 511 (85th percentile) --> ~31 on the old test

For the month before my exam, I was scoring 509-513 on TPR FL's. I also got 85%/81%/85%/73% on the AAMC FL about 2/3 of the way through content review. I definitely think I could have done better on B/B and Psych/Soc.

Shooting for MD mid-tiers

Hey guys! Just got my Sept 3 score back -- should I retake the test in January? :cryi:

cGPA: 3.75
BCPM GPA: 3.8
-----
CARS: 127
B/B: 126
Psych/Soc: 128
Total: 511 (85th percentile) --> ~31 on the old test

For the month before my exam, I was scoring 509-513 on TPR FL's. I also got 85%/81%/85%/73% on the AAMC FL about 2/3 of the way through content review. I definitely think I could have done better on B/B and Psych/Soc.

Shooting for MD mid-tiers
Your actual score is within the range of your practice scores. Don't retake.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my score back from the 9/12 exam;

C/P - 127 (79%)
CARS - 127 (81%)
B/B - 129 (93%)
P/S - 128 (86%)
Total - 511 (85%)

I was expecting a 512+ based on my FL predictions, telling myself I'd retake for sure if I scored below a 510. I have a 3.75 (3.75 BCPM as well) in Mechanical Engineering at Rice. I'm published for some of my research, was a Varsity athlete for a year (walked on as a sophomore, left to focus on academics), president of a club, am a tour guide, and volunteer.

I'm a Texas resident - my goal has always been Baylor (and with my father potentially accepting an international job, leaving behind my family, I might have to stay close to home to look after my family). Should I retake next summer? I'm graduating Spring 2017, so I'm a full year ahead of schedule.

So, I am definitely in the gray area especially since my CARS score is on the low side...

C/P - 130
CARS - 124
B/B - 127
P/S - 129
Total - 510

Man, I know it'll be very unlikely and difficult to score that high again in C/P, but that CARS sections is god-awful.

Advice?

Hey everyone, my scores from the 9/12 exam:

C/P: 126 (67%)
CARS: 131 (99%)
B/B: 129 (93%)
P/S: 126 (66%)
Total - 512 (87%)

I am pretty happy with what I got considering I really slacked off on studying, especially on B/B and P/S, but I do not know if I should look at retaking since I have those two 126s in there and it's not very balanced... To top it off, my cGPA is ~3.5 and my sGPA is sitting at ~3.3 right now so those aren't too great. I'm also a psych major so the P/S score isn't too great considering that and I'm worried that might be a red flag for med schools since I should theoretically have been pretty strong in that section. Surprised by the 126 in C/P as that's the section I studied for the most.

Hey guys,

My scores from the 9/12 exam are:

C/P: 129 (93%)
CARS:125 (58%)
B/B: 130 (97%)
P/S: 128 (86%)
Total - 512 (87%)

I am planning to apply to Canadian medical schools (and perhaps outside Canada as well) for the 2015-2016 cycle, but I am not happy with my CARS score. Should I retake it?

BACKGROUND: I am in Medical Sciences with a cGPA of 3.91. I have research and volunteering. I also have severe bilateral hearing loss.

I'd stay. If you are dead set on Canada and KNOW you can score better on CARS then retake.

C/P= 126
CARS = 126
B/B = 127
P/S= 126

Canadian applicant must likely going to the DO route. 3.4 GPA. Should I retake?

Hey guys. Should I retake in Jan2016? Here are my stats:
3.9 GPA, 509 MCAT
PS: 127
CARS: 124
B/B: 130
Psych: 128

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The retake would be for CARS of course.

509 (128/127/128/126) 80th percentile sGPA: 3.6+ cGPA: 3.35

I know I can raise the Psyc/Soc as I didn't study as much for that as I did physics and my score in physics before was consistently 123-124. P/S score was always 125-126 and never really moved. Should I retake this or is a 509 fine?

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but is a 126 CARS score too low if I'm looking to get into a top-tier medical school?

Hey y'all,
So i'm super nervous about my score because of the Bio section. With a GPA of 3.84 and a slightly higher science GPA, how do the following scores look? Retake or not?

PS: 129
CAR: 126
Bio: 125 :(
PsS: 129
---------
TOTAL: 509 (80th)

Status
Not open for further replies.