Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow that is an impressive CARS score. I would trade just to say I scored in the 100th percentile of that section lol. I took on the same day as you and thought that C/P and B/B would be my worst sections (I was right about one lol)

Sorry I wasn't very specific with the rest of my post. I'm currently applying this cycle and was considering a retake to boost me this cycle or help me with the next (if I didn't get any luck this year). I didn't know that there aren't openings left to test in time for this cycle, so I guess that idea is done. Assuming I didn't get an acceptance this year, do you think I should retake?

Oh for sure retake next year if this cycle doesn't work out for you. I plan to! You have solid reason to think that you could score higher, so I say go for it. And yeah, weren't those science sections on 5/18 a little nuts? Such a different focus from the AAMC prep materials.

For this cycle, *if* you're still fresh on the material and there are seats available near you, then I would strongly consider it. There are six dates left: 8/18, 8/19, 8/24, 9/1, 9/2 and 9/9. Pretty sure it's too late for 8/18 and 8/19, and 9/9 was sold out last I checked, but that can change so be sure to check yourself. The 8/24 date is a Thursday so that could well be the last one to fill up.

End of the day, a balanced 507 with BB as your highest (isn't 128 around 90th %ile?) is a solid score. If the rest of your app fits with where you want to go, then don't rush into a retake with only a few weeks to prep unless you're sure you're still on top of your game. Also if you find a school that likes high CARS, please tip me off. ;->

Oh for sure retake next year if this cycle doesn't work out for you. I plan to! You have solid reason to think that you could score higher, so I say go for it. And yeah, weren't those science sections on 5/18 a little nuts? Such a different focus from the AAMC prep materials.

For this cycle, *if* you're still fresh on the material and there are seats available near you, then I would strongly consider it. There are six dates left: 8/18, 8/19, 8/24, 9/1, 9/2 and 9/9. Pretty sure it's too late for 8/18 and 8/19, and 9/9 was sold out last I checked, but that can change so be sure to check yourself. The 8/24 date is a Thursday so that could well be the last one to fill up.

End of the day, a balanced 507 with BB as your highest (isn't 128 around 90th %ile?) is a solid score. If the rest of your app fits with where you want to go, then don't rush into a retake with only a few weeks to prep unless you're sure you're still on top of your game. Also if you find a school that likes high CARS, please tip me off. ;->

Thanks bud. I appreciate your advice! Btw good luck on your test if you decide to actually take it!

Also I'm pretty sure every school would appreciate high CARS scores. It shows that in general you're an intelligent person with amazing reading comprehension which are pretty important traits to be successful in this career we're pursuing.

Anyways keep on keepin on, and thanks for the advice my dude.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 508 (126/126/127/129).

I'm honestly surprised my CARS was that low because on the practice tests I was taking I was getting as high as 130 and never lower than 127. I'm also surprised about my behavioral science score because it has never been that high. Should I retake this? I'm bummed because it's not at all where I wanted it to be, and I know it's mediocre for many places. I'd appreciate any insight and advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 508 (126/126/127/129).

I'm honestly surprised my CARS was that low because on the practice tests I was taking I was getting as high as 130 and never lower than 127. I'm also surprised about my behavioral science score because it has never been that high. Should I retake this? I'm bummed because it's not at all where I wanted it to be, and I know it's mediocre for many places. I'd appreciate any insight and advice.

It looks like your P/S score balanced out the CARS :/ I would only retake if you're gunning for medical schools which have 513 averages and are sure you can do better. I think you can still make low tier MD and definitely DO with this score.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place...

508. chem/physics: 129; CARS: 124; Bio: 129; Psych: 126.

It is such a skewed score and I already had an unsuccessful cycle. I wanna apply 2018-2019 but I am losing my mind over if I should spend my time studying and retaking or if I should do other activities to boost my app. Pls help.

It is such a skewed score and I already had an unsuccessful cycle. I wanna apply 2018-2019 but I am losing my mind over if I should spend my time studying and retaking or if I should do other activities to boost my app. Pls help.

Do you think you can get CARS up at least one point to 125? A 508 is fine, especially since you have very nice chem/physics and bio scores, but it helps if you are at 125 minimum in each section. If you think you can, I would consider retaking it. However, what feedback did you get from schools this past cycle? If the MCAT wasn't your primary problem then maybe it might be wise to focus on what the feedback indicated your main problem(s) was.

Do you think you can get CARS up at least one point to 125? A 508 is fine, especially since you have very nice chem/physics and bio scores, but it helps if you are at 125 minimum in each section. If you think you can, I would consider retaking it. However, what feedback did you get from schools this past cycle? If the MCAT wasn't your primary problem then maybe it might be wise to focus on what the feedback indicated your main problem(s) was.
In the process of requesting feedback and setting up advising appointments now. I have gotten some feedback from mid/low tier schools, there was a school that said their OOS interviews were purely based on GPA/MCAT and their MCAT cutoff was a 510. Another school said I was at their average for both GPA and MCAT and it could be better. GPA at 3.78, science GPA 3.70 btw.

Also, a 125 would be great to get me out of that cutoff danger zone, but I have heard that a retake isn't worth it unless I'm gonna show significant improvement.

Is this your second retake? What were your scores last time?

They'll help, especially if you're submitting much earlier.

At the same time though a better MCAT will definitely help your cause. If you can have everything submitted to schools before September you'll be in good shape. Just pre-write as many secondaries as you can and submit your primary to your schools the same day your new MCAT comes in.

I would definitely consider the retake if you think you can score 509+.

Just saw your MDapps....you're 17 and in med school already?!

Members don't see this ad :)
128/130/126/129 total 513

The thing is that I did TPR course to prepare and was getting 505-508 in their practice tests with the low outlier being 500. I did not realize TPR full length test scores are not representative of the real deal. But in the 6 TPR practice tests I took my Bio section was on par with and better than my phys/chem section. I felt like the official test was terrible for me, worse than my average practice test, and was very surprised by the score, which I thought could be in the 400's (had planned to retake 2 days after release date). If I don't get in this cycle should I retake next year? I'm nervous about the Bio section (65%), since it's the most important one for med school. I'm also not sure if I was lucky on the actual test.
GPA not stellar 3.5. Applying MD & DO, am just doing my secondaries now.
[& my CARS is consistently high; 85-95% in TPR practice tests. I studied the classics before premed stuff. My Psych/Soc is also consistently high, even though I think soc is often marxist pseudoscience.]

If you got a 513, I definitely don't think you need to retake, thats like 88th percentile I'm guessing (I know 515 is 93rd because thats what I got).. You score could be a little better balanced but it sounds fine.. I guess it depends where you are applying to, I would check out the MSAR for those schools and see how your bio/biochem is comparing to those. But, you will totally get into a DO with a 513, and I would be surprised if you don't get into an MD with it too.

503 MCAT with lowest score being 123. I'm about 95% sure I have to retake? How much should I increase it by to have a good shot at MD?

503 MCAT with lowest score as 123. I'm about 95% sure I need to retake :arghh: how much do I have to increase it by to have a good shot at MD?

I know some one with almost similar score but 125 CARS and 130 Bio and made it late in the cycle, I would retake and try to get 512 which is above 85%

128/130/126/129 total 513

The thing is that I did TPR course to prepare and was getting 505-508 in their practice tests with the low outlier being 500. I did not realize TPR full length test scores are not representative of the real deal. But in the 6 TPR practice tests I took my Bio section was on par with and better than my phys/chem section. I felt like the official test was terrible for me, worse than my average practice test, and was very surprised by the score, which I thought could be in the 400's (had planned to retake 2 days after release date). If I don't get in this cycle should I retake next year? I'm nervous about the Bio section (65%), since it's the most important one for med school. I'm also not sure if I was lucky on the actual test.
GPA not stellar 3.5. Applying MD & DO, am just doing my secondaries now.
[& my CARS is consistently high; 85-95% in TPR practice tests. I studied the classics before premed stuff. My Psych/Soc is also consistently high, even though I think soc is often marxist pseudoscience.]

513 is a great score but 3.5 GPA might hold you down from
It's 4.00
I do think your chance with instate school is high, which state are you in? How much shadowing and EC you have? Good Luck

128/126/128/129

Made a poor decision and took it after sophomore year. Didn't take most prereqs, including ochem, biochem, physio, and physics. Self taught everything and took the test after 6 weeks, but didn't take many practice tests.

If I think it's possible I could do better, should I consider retaking, now that it's been over a year and a half? I want to shoot for top 30 schools and the rest of my application I feel has unique experiences and ECs.

128/126/128/129

Made a poor decision and took it after sophomore year. Didn't take most prereqs, including ochem, biochem, physio, and physics. Self taught everything and took the test after 6 weeks, but didn't take many practice tests.

If I think it's possible I could do better, should I consider retaking, now that it's been over a year and a half? I want to shoot for top 30 schools and the rest of my application I feel has unique experiences and ECs.
I would, in your shoes, if you are very confident that you can do better. And that's a solid and balanced score for being self-taught with only six weeks of studying, nice job!

I would, in your shoes, if you are very confident that you can do better. And that's a solid and balanced score for being self-taught with only six weeks of studying, nice job!

How big would an improvement have to be in your mind for it to be significant? 515-516, or higher?

How big would an improvement have to be in your mind for it to be significant? 515-516, or higher?
Yeah, I think that would be the right target score since you're aiming for Top 30 schools. Also be confident that none of your subscores will go down - I'm not sure that bumping to 515 but dropping below 125 in any one section would be better than what you have already. Just my guesses here, as a fellow applicant, but I would think 511 (128/126/128/129) >>> 513 (129/124/129/131). Aim for at least 90th percentile in each section and you'd be in good shape to get looked at closely everywhere. I'm told that is what the Mayo's screen for, at least!

Yeah, I think that would be the right target score since you're aiming for Top 30 schools. Also be confident that none of your subscores will go down - I'm not sure that bumping to 515 but dropping below 125 in any one section would be better than what you have already. Just my guesses here, as a fellow applicant, but I would think 511 (128/126/128/129) >>> 513 (129/124/129/131). Aim for at least 90th percentile in each section and you'd be in good shape to get looked at closely everywhere. I'm told that is what the Mayo's screen for, at least!

Not trying to draw this out/bother you, but with my current cGPA (3.98) and sGPA (3.98) from a competitive UC, would it be worth retaking and risking having an unbalanced score?

Edit: I forgot to include this, but I've applied this cycle. If I don't get into schools, I'll take 2-3 years off, retake MCAT, try to add more publications, more clinicals, etc.

Not trying to draw this out/bother you, but with my current cGPA (3.98) and sGPA (3.98) from a competitive UC, would it be worth retaking and risking having an unbalanced score?

Edit: I forgot to include this, but I've applied this cycle. If I don't get into schools, I'll take 2-3 years off, retake MCAT, try to add more publications, more clinicals, etc.
Ah, ok that all changes my vote. I would not try to retake this cycle. There are probably few available seats left anyway. If you don't get in (although it sounds like you have a strong chance), then retake.

I guess the question what is more important , get in this cycle or wait one cycle , improve score and get to top 30 med schools. You should be able to get to a decent ranking med school with your numbers. Good Luck

I guess the question what is more important , get in this cycle or wait one cycle , improve score and get to top 30 med schools. You should be able to get to a decent ranking med school with your numbers. Good Luck

Yeah I'll have to wait and see how it shakes out. I'll be all over the MCAT forum if I decide to reapply in a few years.

Edit: Do you think my score will keep me out of schools (LizzyM~71) ? According to MSAR, it seems like I have a chance at least... IMO, my stats are the weakest part of my application. Research (multiple pubs, including first author), service, life experiences, letters, etc. are good.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll have to wait and see how it shakes out. I'll be all over the MCAT forum if I decide to reapply in a few years.

Edit: Do you think my score will keep me out of schools (LizzyM~71) ? According to MSAR, it seems like I have a chance at least... IMO, my stats are the weakest part of my application. Research (multiple pubs, including first author), service, life experiences, letters, etc. are good.
For Top 30, stats always seem to be an issue just because those schools could fill up their classes with students who have all the bells and whistles PLUS above-average stats. For getting into MD in general, you sound like a strong applicant!

Sounds good jazzmetal. Thanks again guys, SDN has been very helpful since I've been here.

Reactions: 1 user

128/131/127/128

I honesty didn't prepare well for this at all. On and off studied for a few months then crammed 2 practice tests and some practice questions into 2 weeks so I know that I forgot a lot of the material and didn't familiarize myself with the questions enough. I know that it's a fairly good overall score and the main reason why I'm considering retaking it is because of my 3.76 undergrad GPA and the fact that I plan on applying to MD/PhD programs. I'm a little worried that my CARS score might drop (because I have no idea how I did that well during the actual test) but I'm pretty confident I can increase my other scores if I study properly this time.

128/131/127/128

I honesty didn't prepare well for this at all. On and off studied for a few months then crammed 2 practice tests and some practice questions into 2 weeks so I know that I forgot a lot of the material and didn't familiarize myself with the questions enough. I know that it's a fairly good overall score and the main reason why I'm considering retaking it is because of my 3.76 undergrad GPA and the fact that I plan on applying to MD/PhD programs. I'm a little worried that my CARS score might drop (because I have no idea how I did that well during the actual test) but I'm pretty confident I can increase my other scores if I study properly this time.

This is a good score and it qualifies for MD/PhD programs at many medical schools.To retake in this cycle, is little bit late since now is end of august and I heard it is hard to register for testing in September. Did you apply to any MD schools this cycle?

This is a good score and it qualifies for MD/PhD programs at many medical schools.To retake in this cycle, is little bit late since now is end of august and I heard it is hard to register for testing in September. Did you apply to any MD schools this cycle?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm planning on applying next cycle so time isn't as much as an issue. I guess my next question is, how much can I reasonably expect to improve and how significant is the added benefit of a higher score? I want to keep my expectations realistic but is improving around 5 points reasonable given how much of the content I felt I didn't know the first time?

It is hard to answer your question, I wish you applied this cycle with this score to see your chances.. That is what I do , I will apply one cycle with this score. The reason I am saying this that you don't want to retake and score lower even higher couple of points won't make difference since 514 confidence level is 513-515. I heard the higher the score the harder to improve. I know someone who took the mcat first time without studying (over confident) , scored in 510 second time after one month , studied couple of weeks and focused on one section that he/she felt will do better , the second score in that section up 2 points but another section was lower one point.
I think the percentile of the score is important what percentile you scored in each section and what the total score percentile?... I will not retake unless you practice and confident that you are going to improve higher than 2 points

I think this is how this works.

Applying next cycle with a 511; Chem 127, Cars 127, Bio 128, Psych 129.

GPA is like a 3.6, sGPA probably like a 3.6-3.7 or so. No incredible EC's however besides scribing and stuff.

Pretty confident I could do much better, but on the other end, don't want to risk messing up. Would it be more worthwhile to just work on EC's?

EDIT: Guess I should I should include schools. The dream I guess would be Dartmouth or Pitt maybe. Ship may have already sailed on these with the GPA and EC, but just curious.

Last edited:
I think this is how this works.

Applying next cycle with a 511; Chem 127, Cars 127, Bio 128, Psych 129.

GPA is like a 3.6, sGPA probably like a 3.6-3.7 or so. No incredible EC's however besides scribing and stuff.

Pretty confident I could do much better, but on the other end, don't want to risk messing up. Would it be more worthwhile to just work on EC's?

EDIT: Guess I should I should include schools. The dream I guess would be Dartmouth or Pitt maybe. Ship may have already sailed on these with the GPA and EC, but just curious.
A Good idea to check list of med school matriculation average for class of 2021 and apply to the one that your score close to their average score.

Hey everyone,
I had just received my scores back from my MCAT on August 19th. This is the third time I have taken this exam and I had scored better, but a measly 501. I let my anxiety get the best of me on the c/p and I did lower in all the other sections compared to my practice tests (509-512, no I am not joking). Long story short I had some testing center distractions, you can look at my post here. I hardly blame my score entirely on the distractions I had that day, but I was so ready to void and I am upset I didn't. The AAMC investigated and wrote back a letter I can send to my designated schools pertaining to the confirmed testing center distraction. I really don't want to include this to all my schools because I feel like it would be like making an excuse for my shotty score. I would rather just stick to my own faults, unless someone else has had a similar situation and would know what to do. A little background about myself. I am currently attending Midwestern University for 9 months to obtain a Master of Arts in Biological Sciences. I want to attend and Allopathic medical school in Illinois. My grade trend is okay (in community college and did not know what I wanted to do for the first two years of my life):GPA Fr:1.71 So: 2.40 Jr: 3.33 Sr: 3.89. overall GPA: 3.40. Science GPA: 3.55. I hope to earn at least a 3.5 GPA in my masters program but we will see. I am an economically disadvantaged applicant, so I have extensive patient care hospital experience (CNA with end of life patients) and not a whole lot of volunteer due to having to pay for my own college expenses. My personal statement the first time I applied was terrible. I revised it with an excellent advisor and it looks great now. This is my second time applying, I applied to 12 allopathic schools and Midwestern's osteopathic program. I also completed all secondary applications post MCAT. Thank you to everyone who takes the time out of their busy schedule to read this post! (I don't think I even mentioned, but I am just looking for advice on what to do with my life a this point).

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I had just received my scores back from my MCAT on August 19th. This is the third time I have taken this exam and I had scored better, but a measly 501. I let my anxiety get the best of me on the c/p and I did lower in all the other sections compared to my practice tests (509-512, no I am not joking). Long story short I had some testing center distractions, you can look at my post here. I hardly blame my score entirely on the distractions I had that day, but I was so ready to void and I am upset I didn't. The AAMC investigated and wrote back a letter I can send to my designated schools pertaining to the confirmed testing center distraction. I really don't want to include this to all my schools because I feel like it would be like making an excuse for my shotty score. I would rather just stick to my own faults, unless someone else has had a similar situation and would know what to do. A little background about myself. I am currently attending Midwestern University for 9 months to obtain a Master of Arts in Biological Sciences. I want to attend and Allopathic medical school in Illinois. My grade trend is okay (in community college and did not know what I wanted to do for the first two years of my life):GPA Fr:1.71 So: 2.40 Jr: 3.33 Sr: 3.89. overall GPA: 3.40. Science GPA: 3.55. I hope to earn at least a 3.5 GPA in my masters program but we will see. I am an economically disadvantaged applicant, so I have extensive patient care hospital experience (CNA with end of life patients) and not a whole lot of volunteer due to having to pay for my own college expenses. My personal statement the first time I applied was terrible. I revised it with an excellent advisor and it looks great now. This is my second time applying, I applied to 12 allopathic schools and Midwestern's osteopathic program. I also completed all secondary applications post MCAT. Thank you to everyone who takes the time out of their busy schedule to read this post! (I don't think I even mentioned, but I am just looking for advice on what to do with my life a this point).

What was your score in mcat the first two times.. Your GPA and MCAT too low for MD school. with 3.5 GPA and mcat 501 , you might have a chance in applying to DO school. For MD school you need higher mcat score, I would say 510-512 with GPA 3.5 to have a chance. Keep in mind you cannot take mcat more than 3 times in one year.

What was your score in mcat the first two times.. Your GPA and MCAT too low for MD school. with 3.5 GPA and mcat 501 , you might have a chance in applying to DO school. For MD school you need higher mcat score, I would say 510-512 with GPA 3.5 to have a chance. Keep in mind you cannot take mcat more than 3 times in one year.
First time was last year totally unprepared out of college 491 like a dope. Second time time 497. I'm 25 going on 26 and I do not want to "settle" with DO schools (I'm not bashing by any means I'm just agreeing with you that the stats are lower). Like if I want to get into DO school it's because I truly want to follow the holistic practices. Not because I didn't apply myself. I had two interviews at DO schools last year and I witnessed adcoms that were truly looking for students to serve that area the school is located. Midwestern is a few of the DO schools that honeslty do not care where you practice medicine, and don't care about what ties you have to your home state. As long as you carry on the holistic ideology they will consider you. My thinking that I had bounced off with my counsler is hey if I can do this intensive 9 month masters program, than I do demonstrate what it takes to get through medical school. As for the MCAT I have never had the luxury of taking 6 months, let alone 3, off from everything to study for this test. I'm not trying to give a damn sob story, but I have to be working full time in order to support myself. There are a lot of premeds on here who can do both, unfortunalty I'm not gifted, but I'll be damned if I let my financial situation dictate what I'm going to do. There is no loans available to study for this exam obviously. So, what's a guy like me supposed to do?
Rant over*
More or less I'm sure there are plenty of people in my situation. I'm not pissed at society or the wealthy and I'm not looking for any pity.(I hate that sh@!t) I'm just looking for an understanding and sincere advice. I feel like my counselor is just rooting for me, she is great, but I need a harsh dose of reality. What do I need to do to get into an Allopathic school in Illinois at this point. I'm going to stick with the masters program for now but only because I know it will make my first year of medical school more bearable.
P.S. Thanks for answering back! I have not contributed anything to this forum yet. Only because I don't want to steer anyone in the poor direction. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this post. Any advice is sincerely and greatly appreciated.

First time was last year totally unprepared out of college 491 like a dope. Second time time 497. I'm 25 going on 26 and I do not want to "settle" with DO schools (I'm not bashing by any means I'm just agreeing with you that the stats are lower). Like if I want to get into DO school it's because I truly want to follow the holistic practices. Not because I didn't apply myself. I had two interviews at DO schools last year and I witnessed adcoms that were truly looking for students to serve that area the school is located. Midwestern is a few of the DO schools that honeslty do not care where you practice medicine, and don't care about what ties you have to your home state. As long as you carry on the holistic ideology they will consider you. My thinking that I had bounced off with my counsler is hey if I can do this intensive 9 month masters program, than I do demonstrate what it takes to get through medical school. As for the MCAT I have never had the luxury of taking 6 months, let alone 3, off from everything to study for this test. I'm not trying to give a damn sob story, but I have to be working full time in order to support myself. There are a lot of premeds on here who can do both, unfortunalty I'm not gifted, but I'll be damned if I let my financial situation dictate what I'm going to do. There is no loans available to study for this exam obviously. So, what's a guy like me supposed to do?
Rant over*
More or less I'm sure there are plenty of people in my situation. I'm not pissed at society or the wealthy and I'm not looking for any pity.(I hate that sh@!t) I'm just looking for an understanding and sincere advice. I feel like my counselor is just rooting for me, she is great, but I need a harsh dose of reality. What do I need to do to get into an Allopathic school in Illinois at this point. I'm going to stick with the masters program for now but only because I know it will make my first year of medical school more bearable.
P.S. Thanks for answering back! I have not contributed anything to this forum yet. Only because I don't want to steer anyone in the poor direction. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this post. Any advice is sincerely and greatly appreciated.

My advice, study for mcat (3-6 months or what ever it takes) and not to take the test unless you feel comfortable with the target score in practice tests.
The master program is a good idea with GPA > 3.6 , GOOD LUCK

Hi all,
I took my first MCAT last month and got my score back: 503: 124/127/127/125
I'm debating retaking because my practice test C/P ranged 126-128 and I also didn't really study for p/s like I ended up needing to as all my practices were a 127 in p/s. My highest practice test was a 507 with averaging around a 505-- my real CARS was way higher. I'm happy with DO, I'm just so on the fence, should I try again or stay here?

My overall sGPA: 3.48 MD, 3.51 DO
post bacc: 3.68 all science, getting second bachelors

MCAT 503 is too low for MD, I would try DO , have you applied this cycle? I would study and retake mcat you need score in 510's range and reapply. Good luck

While I ended up with a great overall score, I'm feeling a bit nervous about how unbalanced my score is and wondering if I should retake to try for a more balanced score. Ended up with 516 (129/132/128/127). I know that I can maintain the CARS score, I should be able to pull the B/B score up at least 1 point (probably 2) and the P/S score up by at least 2 points. The C/P score is the only one I'm a bit nervous about having drop, but I don't suspect it would.

Tl;dr high overall score, very unbalanced. Should I retake and aim for a more balanced score with the B/B and P/S sections?

While I ended up with a great overall score, I'm feeling a bit nervous about how unbalanced my score is and wondering if I should retake to try for a more balanced score. Ended up with 516 (129/132/128/127). I know that I can maintain the CARS score, I should be able to pull the B/B score up at least 1 point (probably 2) and the P/S score up by at least 2 points. The C/P score is the only one I'm a bit nervous about having drop, but I don't suspect it would.

Tl;dr high overall score, very unbalanced. Should I retake and aim for a more balanced score with the B/B and P/S sections?
No you're fine.

Hello guys, looking for some advice here. I scored 494 the first time I took the Mcat in 2015 & 495 this year... not much difference as you can see. I really want to be a physician which is why I am not considering other options yet. Should I retake the Mcat a third time, go for a 2yr postbacc program at NIH, get a masters degree, or apply to carribean schools? Btw I have applied to both MD and DO schools...haven't heard from either. I am really confused what to do at this point.

Hello guys, looking for some advice here. I scored 494 the first time I took the Mcat in 2015 & 495 this year... not much difference as you can see. I really want to be a physician which is why I am not considering other options yet. Should I retake the Mcat a third time, go for a 2yr postbacc program at NIH, get a masters degree, or apply to carribean schools? Btw I have applied to both MD and DO schools...haven't heard from either. I am really confused what to do at this point.

Few questions:
what is your undergrad degree in?
GPA for undergrad?
How many months did you study between first and 2nd trial for the mcat?

You need to find out why you didnot improve in your score, I wouldnot take mcat 3rd unless you do serious studying and do practice exams to see if you hitting the target score you are after?

Status
Not open for further replies.