Official SMDEP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
majorly freaking out!! just 30 minutes left!

good luck everyone! :D

Ugh, admissions decisions are posted at midnight?

Members don't see this ad.

HAHAHAHAHA The website crashed!! I bet so many people checked it at the same time the server couldn't handle it

That's exactly why I didn't check now. I knew that was gonna happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from Howard & Columbia...

BUT ACCEPTED TO UVA!!!!
That's where I'll be this summer

:love::love::love::love:

Going to be at UMDNJ this summer! :) Good luck to everyone else who made it into their programs! :thumbup::luck:

accepted at Columbia and UCLA!
already confirmed Columbia!!!!! :D

congrats everyone~~

Accepted to UCLA, rejected from Columbia and UofW!! UCLA, REPRESENT!!

Hey guys!

Can whoever got in post
-what schools accepted them
-gpa
-extracurricular
-ethnicity
-essay topic
-when did you apply (month)

Please, please, please let me know!!! :):) It will help so many other students applying next year and other programs as well!!

Hey guys!

Can whoever got in post
-gpa
-extracurricular
-ethnicity
-essay topic

Please, please, please let me know!!! :):) It will help so many other students applying next year and other programs as well!!
Accepted to UCLA, rejected from Columbia and UofW.
2.7 GPA
Dancing and Cheerleading
African American
Underserved communities in Health Care
Online app was completed on 12/9 and full app was completed on 1/9

Last edited:
Accepted to UMDNJ
Soccer Basketball Board Member of Pre Med Club Shadow DO's and MD's and another Pre Med Club for URMs. and Volunteer at the Hospital I shadow at.
Hispanic
My experience in Underrepresented Hospitals in my area.
applied by the 18 of jan.

GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into UCLA and Columbia!! (rejected from Washington) chose Columbia immediately! :)
Have a 3.4 GPA, Hispanic from a low socio/economic background
Mainly, I put down volunteer experience and some clubs.
My essays were on growing up with a disabled sister and my opinion on healthcare disparities.

Completed on 12/18
2nd LOR was not in until the end of January though...
They accepted me before my 2nd LOR was even in! :)

Applied to Howard, Duuke and Houston; accepted to Houston...
GPA: 3.1 from freshman year; I just wanted to get it in early.
VP, tap dance, Lab assistant, past jobs
-listed African-American
-on providing more health care to underrepresented countries, specifically where I'm from
-Submitted 11/23, but completed 12/18...smh.
I least I can walk into my Orgo class tomorrow morning with something to look forward to if/ when I get my exam back.

Last edited:
Accepted to UNMC and Duke. Rejected from Yale.
3.647 (technically 4.0 GPA), 1st year student
Sudanese immigrant
My essay topic was about a trip our senior anatomy class took to a cadaver lab and about what compelled me to consider the medical field since I have no doctors, nurses, etc. in my family.

Does anyone know the amount of the stipend Duke disburses?

yes, where can we get information about the amount of the stipend, the beginning dates and such?

I cannot access the link for information for Columbia. It redirects me to an error page. :/

Accept to Howard and Houston rejected at Columbia
Choosing Houston
African American
Applied 12/12/12
ECs: NIH funded research scholar, volunteer at boys & girls club, Bio club VP, Astronomy club, couple of shadowing experiences,
Talked about how to weaken health care disparities and health issues in the community I grew up in.

Mine still says app in review, probably cause of that lost LOR :(

Looks like I'm drowning in some love punch tonight :horns:
Congrats to those who got accepted!!! :love:

3.68 GPA, rejected from Duke and Yale
Case Western 2013 :)
African American Female (URM)
Tons of Extracurriculars
Low socioeconomics
Essay: Domestic Violence and Poverty
Completed Feb 1 :-/

Rejected from Duke and Louisville but accepted at Houston! :)

4.0 GPA
African-American/Hispanic
Indicated that I'm from an educationally and health underrepresented area (Syracuse, NY)
Attend an HBCU
(I applied as a freshman, but apparently I'm a sophomore now because of credit transfers lol. So Iucked out because this was technically my only chance to apply lol)

So excited, I've never really been to Texas with the exception of a 2hr layover at the airport one time hahaha. Can't wait to meet everyone!

is university of washington in seattle hard to get into? i have a 3.6 gpa and many extracurriculars including shadowing, volunteering at hospitals, global brigades, environmental club, and red cross volunteer

Rejected from Nebraska and Howard, but accepted to UVA! :):)
freshman
medical work in africa
leadership on rugby team
volunteer trip on immigration reform to Texas

Right back at cha! hah! What schools did you apply too?:D

UCLA, Yale, and Columbia. I'm a freshman so I was just like f it, if I don't get in I can do it next year haha. You?!

sweeet and I applied to UMDNJ Nebraska and UVA..I'm a sophomore so this was my last chance :/ Fortunately I got in somewhere. I hope you get in this year :)

sweeet and I applied to UMDNJ Nebraska and UVA..I'm a sophomore so this was my last chance :/ Fortunately I got in somewhere. I hope you get in this year :)

Ahhh congrats!! :D Where are you going?
And yes I hope so too! That way I won't be worrying for next year since it would the last opportunity to get in :scared:

Probably UMDNJ! N don't worry about it..I'm a sophomore so it was worse of a wait for me!

I don't know, but I'd make sure you get it in early ASAP. The likelihood of getting accepted is higher than if you turn it in at the last minute.

Last edited:
So I've been lurking around in the FB group and everyone is saying how, if you didn't get in and you have a great GPA and awesome stats it's because you're "too good" for the program or you're "too experienced" please get over yourself. Maybe it was your essay, maybe you applied too late..but if you think your so qualified then why even bother applying? People got to stop being sour, that's how you get rejected from med school interviews even though you might have "perfect stats". Trolls man seriously..I'm so happy for everyone that got in, and I believe each and everyone of us who did get in, it's because we are more than just stats! And to those who didn't maybe you could keep the condescending comments to yourself. If you didn't get in, I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure if you really want it, you will become a doctor or anything else you want.

:troll:

Probably UMDNJ! N don't worry about it..I'm a sophomore so it was worse of a wait for me!

Yeah so congrats you got in! Its going to be a great summer for you :) enjoy!:p

I know. i agree 1000% like they should really calm down. If they were so over qualified and intelligent they would have applied to research programs in addition to smdep. I have a 3.83 and was accepted to 2 of my 3 sites. There are many factors that played into getting an acceptance. They were so excited to be a part of the program but when they were rejected they decided to down play it yet I bet they will be the same ones falling to their knees if they get accepted the second time around. I am almost certain every individual brought their best to the table. GPA is only one minuscule three digit number compared to the rest of the application.

Hey guys!

Can whoever got in post
-gpa
-extracurricular
-ethnicity
-essay topic

rejected from Nebraska and Washington accepted at Houston!!:)
African- American
BSU, camp counselor experience, crew team, singing group that sings at nursing homes/hospitals
volunteered at hospital in underserved community over summer

You do crew too?! Haha I'm one of few minorities on the team but its cool :)

Last edited:
Being a Sophomore applicant was nerve-wracking as hell. I got rejected from UW and Columbia, but got UVa..Thank God.
My humble stats:
GPA: 3.5 (Science the same)
EC: 1 year of wet lab research at a children's hospital, overseas medical mission trip to Dominican Republic. There's probably more, but I just don't remember as of this moment...lol.
Ethnicity: Vietnamese (Native born)
State: California (West siiiiideeee)

Hey guys :) I got accepted to UVA & Columbia. I decided on UVA. I have a question. For the Travel Scholarship, it asks to calculate mileage. Is there some kind of proof we need or do we just calculate it pen to paper?

-Hope to see some of you in the summer ! :soexcited:

I was wondering is it possible to accept SMDEP and then later withdraw? I applied for a summer research program(top choice), but do not want to turn down SMDEP because I am not sure if I will get selected for the research program. Thanks!

I think so. You just can't get back in. Once you withdraw, that's it.

Sent from my LG-P509 using SDN Mobile