Official SMDEP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody done the travel scholarship already? and does anybody know if it is really hard to get the funds and such?

Members don't see this ad :)
When should we expect to receive an E-Mail from the program sites we confirmed?

im trying to view the status of my application but it wont let me. it says this page is unavailable

Hello there! I'm a little worried about my application. I submitted mine yesterday, but considering that SMDEP accept students that applied first I'm not sure if I will be accepted=/

Here are my stats:

GPA: 4.00
Race: Latino
I have two very good recommendation letters from two of the superior professors in the Biology and Physics departments.
I believe I have strong essays with a very good life historical background. The only disadvantage here is my grammar (My first language is Spanish, which means my English is not the best=( )

What do you guys think, do I have good chances of getting in at least one of the sites?

Alright, so it says that my application is in review. Will they let me know a decision on this before April 1. So is it rolling application now? If so, how long after it says in review does it generally take to hear back?

Hey! So I just applied to SMDEP last night, but had my transcript and recommendations all out last week. Nothing is showing up on the website about the status of these things....
Does it usually take a while to update the site?
I'm getting nervous because I'd really like to participate in the program but found out late.
Should I call them if the documents aren't up by Thursday?

Hey! So I just applied to SMDEP last night, but had my transcript and recommendations all out last week. Nothing is showing up on the website about the status of these things....
I'm getting nervous because I'd really like to participate in the program but found out late.

It usually takes 10 business days to process them, and I believe they only update once in the beginning of the week. Make sure to call after the 10 business days if it doesn't show up. You can email them too, that's what I did and they were able to update it immediately.

For my transcript, it took 4 days to show as received, and my letter of rec took longer (about 7 days or so).

Alright, so it says that my application is in review. Will they let me know a decision on this before April 1. So is it rolling application now? If so, how long after it says in review does it generally take to hear back?

I believe all the second decisions come out April 1st. So no, its not on a rolling basis.

I had a similar problem. I applied last Tuesday night, and my LOR's were sent 2 weeks prior. I e-mailed them twice this past week and also called them, but nothing is showing up still. Hopefully they have everything updated by the beginning of this week...

I applied on the 20th, but it took them exactly 10 days to process my LOR's and my transcript. It just now shows completed. Now I have to wait till April 1st 8/

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was accepted to and confirmed at Houston. I was sure that I read somewhere that the stipend for SMDEP was $4500. I just got an email from the coordinator at Houston telling us that the stipend will be sent in three increments at $200 each (totaling $600):confused:. Now, it was never about the money, but I'm still a little bummed nonetheless:(. I just want to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or something when I thought the program was advertising a $4500 stipend:confused.

PS. I've since checked back on the website and I see nothing about a $4500 stipend but I swear I saw it somewhere lol.

lol it took me forever to find the info about the small stipend. I actually read somewhere it's only $400. Definitely not that high though lol!!! if anything a program like this would be like $1200 because you don't do any work while there

I never saw an amount for the stipend described on the website, but I do remember reading that they give you $600.
For Columbia, the stipend totals about 1320? But, they expect you to use some of this to purchase meals.

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back if we applied for the travel scholarship?

Even though I'm freaking out with anxiety about finding out on Monday if I got into any of the sites, I'm a little excited because this is my first ever post on here! :clap:
But if anyone has the time, could someone give me an estimate of how good my chances are to get in? I applied as soon as I found out about SMDEP.
My application was a little later than hoped...submitted on 2/11/13 and completed on 2/19/13. They got all of my LOR's and transcripts on time. I applied for Omaha, Seattle and Houston. My GPA is a 3.73 and my science GPA is a 4.0. I didn't really come from a disadvantaged background but I did put a few things in the essay about how I grew up in the lower middle class because my dad was a business owner and my mom was blind. I have a little clinical experience because I completed a Certified Nursing Assistant course. I also had good recommendations and one was from the head of the biology department at the community college that I go to. OH, and I went to a community college for my basics and I'm transferring next semester to a University...Does anyone think that coming from a community college is a drawback? Good luck to everyone who applied! FINGERS CROSSED! :scared:

Even though I'm freaking out with anxiety about finding out on Monday if I got into any of the sites, I'm a little excited because this is my first ever post on here! :clap:
But if anyone has the time, could someone give me an estimate of how good my chances are to get in? I applied as soon as I found out about SMDEP.
My application was a little later than hoped...submitted on 2/11/13 and completed on 2/19/13. They got all of my LOR's and transcripts on time. I applied for Omaha, Seattle and Houston. My GPA is a 3.73 and my science GPA is a 4.0. I didn't really come from a disadvantaged background but I did put a few things in the essay about how I grew up in the lower middle class because my dad was a business owner and my mom was blind. I have a little clinical experience because I completed a Certified Nursing Assistant course. I also had good recommendations and one was from the head of the biology department at the community college that I go to. OH, and I went to a community college for my basics and I'm transferring next semester to a University...Does anyone think that coming from a community college is a drawback? Good luck to everyone who applied! FINGERS CROSSED! :scared:
I don't think coming from a community college is a draw back since they are seeking disadvantaged students, so it wouldn't make sense to consider that against an applicant. I applied to Seattle too! Good luck!!

Only two more days!!! Yay!!

I think being from a community college may actually help our chances. I can't remember if it is SMDEP or the UCLA PREP program, but one is actually LOOKING for community college students to help. Either way we will find out soon. I read on the SMDEP 2013 facebook page that people with high GPAs have been getting rejected to help those that need the help more, and that really freaked me out. I think I'm going to give this topic a rest until I find out on Monday!!

There's an Omaha one?..

Come to think of it, I'm not sure which University of Nebraska branch that particular one takes place at. I feel like I read that it was the Omaha university but now I'm not sure.

I found it. The SMDEP site says "University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) Colleges of Medicine and Dentistry in Omaha, Neb."

Decisions are out, rejected at yale and washington. Sorta expected this considering I submitted late app.

Rejected at Yale,Columbia, and Nebraska. Not surprising because I submitted a second-round app, and I'm not a URM :/

Nebraska actually denied me before I even applied. Lame.

Wait listed in Texas Houston, but got accepted into UMDNJ!! Which means..New Jersey here I come! :D

Who else is going to UMDNJ??

Rejected at Columbia, waitlisted at UCLA and Yale. Not bad considering I'm not Native American, African American, or Hispanic. (But I was born in a country of war/and I'm a immigrant). :rolleyes:

Waitlisted at UMDNJ! Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Hope you guys have a blast wherever you guys go! :D

rejected from uwash and houston, but waitlisted at UVA. i kinda set up alternate plans... so maybe i should not go this year, reapply early next year and try for the harder-to-get-in SMDEP locations? Do you know if we can use the same essays as this time?

rejected from uwash and houston, but waitlisted at UVA. i kinda set up alternate plans... so maybe i should not go this year, reapply early next year and try for the harder-to-get-in SMDEP locations? Do you know if we can use the same essays as this time?

I think I would be safe and alter it a little bit. If you're applying to different locations than the ones you already have then you should be fine.

I got waitlisted to Howard :/ worrrrrrrieeeeeeeeedddddddddd:confused::confused::confused:

I submitted my application on time with everything completed. My application said only 95% completed and I thought that was because my transcripts and/or LORs had not been received yet. I know my LORs were turned in on the same day and time, but it still says only one was received and my statuses have the "--" still. Help?

Accepted of UCLA wait list! However I will be doing research instead, so I hope one of you guys gets my spot.

I was waitlisted at UW @ 3/28 I had no hope of getting in, but I just got called this morning and I got accepted there!! There is hope for the waitlisted!

Hi Everyone!
LOls this thread has been dry for a while =/. But after going though all of the posts I have like so many questions :scared:
Ill just leave it to one though.
What were the essays like on the application? It seemed like that kind of had some people stuck :(

If someone could answer this question it would be awesome because I want to apply for next summer.

Thanks and I wish everyone the best of luck! =)

Hi Everyone!
LOls this thread has been dry for a while =/. But after going though all of the posts I have like so many questions :scared:
Ill just leave it to one though.
What were the essays like on the application? It seemed like that kind of had some people stuck :(

If someone could answer this question it would be awesome because I want to apply for next summer.

Thanks and I wish everyone the best of luck! =)

Never knew this thread existed! I attended SMDEP at the University of Virginia 2 summers ago and have served as one of their student ambassadors ever since. I suppose I'll take a stab at your question!

Concerning the essays, I'm not sure if they have changed the topics but for me there were 2 essays with one of them being on diversity. The mission of the program is to equip students from underrepresented and underserved backgrounds with the tools to succeed during the pre-med and pre-dent process. They look for students who are genuinely interested in increasing diversity within the medical field. If your source of motivation and passion aligns with the mission of the program, you will have no trouble expressing so in the essays. Don't stress it!

I know a lot of people who have successful application cycles with SMDEP. I highly recommend looking up what each site has to offer and possibly speaking with students who attended the sites you are interested in. All of the sites have similar structure and cover similar material for the most part so don't stress about trying to apply to the 3 "top" sites. I generally recommend other students to apply to sites where they are seriously considering applying to for medical school to get a head start on exploring the facilities and opportunities that school has to offer early.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I really enjoyed my time in the program and now as I prepare to apply to medical school I truly believe it prepared me for this process.

Good Luck!

Hello everyone!

I am an SMDEP student ambassador for the 2014 application cycle! I am here to assist you guys with the application process! I was elected as an ambassador two months ago and I can answer questions about any and everything about SMDEP. I attended the partook in the program this past summer as a Pre-dental student and it was stupendous! In return, I would greatly appreciate if you ladies and gents could enter my name: "Bobby Glover-Alonzo" in the section that says "who referred you" where they ask how you learned about SMDEP or something along those lines. If I help the most people, SMDEP will help me prepare for my DAT exam. Thank you all SO very much! If you may have questions, tag my name on any of the SMDEP threads or simply email me at [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!

I am an SMDEP student ambassador for the 2014 application cycle! I am here to assist you guys with the application process! I was elected as an ambassador two months ago and I can answer questions about any and everything about SMDEP. I attended the partook in the program this past summer as a Pre-dental student and it was stupendous! In return, I would greatly appreciate if you ladies and gents could enter my name: "Bobby Glover-Alonzo" in the section that says "who referred you" where they ask how you learned about SMDEP or something along those lines. If I help the most people, SMDEP will help me prepare for my DAT exam. Thank you all SO very much! If you may have questions, tag my name on any of the SMDEP threads or simply email me at [email protected]

Hi... I was just wondering if there is an official SMDEP 2014 Thread.. i just submitted my application yesterday and today it says my transcript has been received/approved, one of my LOR's received, and my application complete.. does that mean that my application has been sent to my preferred sites?? will appreciate any information. Thanks :)

Hi fellas, I'm planning to apply to SMDEP for the dental one i have couples of questions, and hope someone helps me.

I know i need to write two essays one about diversity, and another one is a personal statement. I don't understand, which topic should i wrote about can someone explain to me more about both of them, and how can i start the essay, and what the admission commit want to see when you read your essay. And how many characters for each essay

i'm still an incoming freshman, and my professor only know my name, but no one know me personalty. How can i ask them for a letter of recommendation ?
and my sat is 1200 am i still eligible to apply

and which programs should i apply to. I mean i know university of Washington dental school is in-state school, so if i apply my chances will be slim to none as i'm not WA resident ? am i right ?