Official St. Louis University c/o 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys/Gals. I declined my acceptance to SLU yesterday. Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all who are familiar with St. Louis. I am looking at apartments that are around 1-10 miles away from the med school. What is the area adjacent to the school like. I didn't really get too much exposure when I was back there. It sounds sweet to be able to walk to class, but not if its in a bad neighborhood. Also, if anybody knows, what is safety like around the SOM. Can you walk around after dark? Thanks for calming (or fueling) my paranoia.

Is it me or does this actually happen to most people admitted to SLU?! I called them at least 6-7 times during the past 2 weeks (on many different days, too!), and the phone is always answered by this girl who says that she knows NOTHING! and seriously, she doesn't even know the estimated budget for the M1 class. :eek: not just that, when i asked her whether it's possible to speak to someone with the knowledge, THAT someone is ALWAYS NOT AROUND--either out of the office, in a meeting, or on a phone call. I left my number once, and that lady never called back. It's already been 1 week.

So, I received my financial aid pacakge, which is pretty lousy. At the very bottom, they listed a financial aid counselor. When I called, I found out that it's the same lady who's never to be found! I think I can safely presume that for the entire university--undergrad or med school, there's ONLY ONE financial aid advisor. :scared: Maybe that contributes to the lousiness of the financial aid package that most of us end up getting, huh... :thumbdown: anywayz... I'm really pissed off with that. Sorry about the venting. :mad:

P.S. Is it possible to negotiate for financial aid, given that I finally get a hold of that lady..? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
tinnyfluffy said:
Is it me or does this actually happen to most people admitted to SLU?! I called them at least 6-7 times during the past 2 weeks (on many different days, too!), and the phone is always answered by this girl who says that she knows NOTHING! and seriously, she doesn't even know the estimated budget for the M1 class. :eek: not just that, when i asked her whether it's possible to speak to someone with the knowledge, THAT someone is ALWAYS NOT AROUND--either out of the office, in a meeting, or on a phone call. I left my number once, and that lady never called back. It's already been 1 week.

So, I received my financial aid pacakge, which is pretty lousy. At the very bottom, they listed a financial aid counselor. When I called, I found out that it's the same lady who's never to be found! I think I can safely presume that for the entire university--undergrad or med school, there's ONLY ONE financial aid advisor. :scared: Maybe that contributes to the lousiness of the financial aid package that most of us end up getting, huh... :thumbdown: anywayz... I'm really pissed off with that. Sorry about the venting. :mad:

P.S. Is it possible to negotiate for financial aid, given that I finally get a hold of that lady..? Any advice is appreciated.

the lady who answers the phones is actually a temp. She has no real affliation with the SLU financial aid office, let alone SLU. The officer we're all supposed to contact used to be the SLU undergrad's financial aid coordinator and she's just filling in for the school of medicine until they find a replacement. It seems like she's frazzled and beseiged by people bothering left and right. I feel for her. But still I get a sense we're all getting shafted here financial aid wise. I pulled out of SLU for other reasons but the financial aid package was like icing to my decision cake.

Hey fellow SLU acceptees,

I am wondering if you all have had any communication with the school since your acceptance. I got a letter about forms to fill out for FA, but nothing else yet. I am trying to make plans for orientation, white coat ceremony, etc., but have no idea about dates, times, or places. Also I am wondering what we need to purchase for the first weeks of classes. Anybody got any info? Thanks...

The best I could find out is that the White Coat Ceremony is Sunday July 31st and Orientation is the week of August 1st. Then classes start the next week. Apparently (according to the SLU website) you're expected to have a dissecting kit and a lab coat for the first day b/c some students will be dissecting cadavers on that first day.

Hello everyone,

I am pumped about the Lou, I really like the campus and student body. I decided to go to SLU over some other schools and I am excited about studying with you all.

Reading about everyone's experience with the financial aid office is a trip. Hopefully, we all get the loans that we need. Does anyone from STL know where most of the students live? I am looking into buying a house, hopefully somewhere close to campus and in a good area, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jimmy

I will be joining everyone in the fall at SLU-- right now I'm looking for housing, just like a lot of people. I found that the school has a great housing website at http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/ where it gives past student opinions on several complexes and neighborhoods in the city. There's also a housing bulletin board through that link somewhere that has other students looking for roomates or giving info on specific houses.

my 0.02, as a recent SLU med grad-
don't live close to the med school, i.e. on Grand. learned this the hard way first year. in st. louis county, i would recommend affton/shrewsbury. easy commute on I-44, close to lots of shopping. as far as the city, i would recommend Soulard. not as overpriced/crowded as the Central West End, and in my opinion a little safer. easy ten minute commute to school on city streets. TONS of nightlife- bars on every block. Enjoy it while you can during first and second year. If you're looking for a more laid back area of the city, St. Louis Hills is nice.

feel free to p.m. with questions

thank you man, that helps a lot. Do you know if many students buy homes? How is the market for resale I wonder. You say you didn't like the west grand area, is there a lot of crime there? What about torres park?

The information on orientation will be sent out sometime in the next week or so (fingers crossed). White Coat will be Sunday June 31st and orientation starts August 1. The first year, excuse me, second year, class is busy planning a whole bunch of fun things all that week - including plenty of picnics (=free food), a Cards game, golfing, a pub crawl, the Muny, and much more. Plus you have the ever exciting fun filled day of CPR training :)

As far as anatomy goes... yes some will dissect the first day of class. You will likely need scrubs or grungy clothing, a dissection kit, and a Netters. Most of which are probably pretty easy to acquire during orientation.... dissection kits are resold at the book fair and Netters are given out with memberships to AMSA ,or juicy dirty Netters can also be bought at the book fair, and I believe that AMA gave out scrubs with membership.

thanks a bunch folks, im really looking forward to the orientation week now!! :)

got a question though, im not a member of amsa or ama. would you recommend becoming a member, given that they give out free netters n scrubs?

also, do any of you know when the first tuition deposit is due?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Beanie said:
The information on orientation will be sent out sometime in the next week or so (fingers crossed). White Coat will be Sunday June 31st and orientation starts August 1. The first year, excuse me, second year, class is busy planning a whole bunch of fun things all that week - including plenty of picnics (=free food), a Cards game, golfing, a pub crawl, the Muny, and much more. Plus you have the ever exciting fun filled day of CPR training :)

Ooh, sounds fun!!! Thanks for the update Beanie! :)

so i went to slu today n spent the day there. the campus is pretty big, i got lost a couple of times. but they have a two seperate buildings for the medschool including a library. theres also a small fitness center about 5 mins walk from the medschool which i liked. campus is nice, lots of greenery everywhere.

one thing i didnt know though. ppl there said that one should not park at the meters near and around the buildings coz cars are often broken into even during day time. the parking garage is relatively safe however n we folks are gona be getting permits for it during orientation week.

Last edited:
qwerty30 said:
Hi All,

I am going to be attending SLU and was just wondering if anyone heard about anything that we have to do before orientation.(Vaccines, TB test, Health insurance, ect.) I am gonna be away from home for most of the time before school starts and would really like to get all the silly crap done. I hope the rest of the school is more organized than the orientation info people. Anyway see you all in Aug

qwerty,
the SLU Admissions office mailed out a package of information last week. I received it on june 3rd. It contained detailed information about the orientation schedule, tution payements etc. It also had a vaccinations and immunization form. If i remember correctly the deadline for turning in the vaccinations was july 15?

id suggest to call the admissions office and ask em to mail it to u incase they havent.

d

Last edited:
I am planning on purchasing a 3 br home within 10 miles of campus and renting out 2 of the rooms if anyone is interested pm me. BTW I'm an Asian male, non-smoker.

size_tens said:
I am planning on purchasing a 3 br home within 10 miles of campus and renting out 2 of the rooms if anyone is interested pm me. BTW I'm an Asian male, non-smoker.

hey, just wondering... which area are u purchasing a home in? is it towards the west side... richmond heights, clayton area?

pakidoc said:
hey, just wondering... which area are u purchasing a home in? is it towards the west side... richmond heights, clayton area?

If you're purchasing a house in clayton, I only wish I had the cash flow you have....

DrThom said:
If you're purchasing a house in clayton, I only wish I had the cash flow you have....

oh no, im upto my nose in debt :oops: as for the house... im from st louis, my parents live around that area. so ill probably be commuting to school, 1/2 hr both ways.

so whats everyone doing for housing?? living near campus? far from campus? havent decided?

Well to be honest my parents actually purchased the house and are just investing in it while I'm in med school. I know I'm spoiled but I figure they have a good chance of getting a decent return. Anyway here's a link to the home for anyone who's interested www.cfvatterott.com/indInventory.php?indInvt=44
It's located about a mile east of campus. The area isn't the greatest but it's convenient to campus and seems safe enough.

watup
im from Toronto
and i'm on the alternate list still...
any chance i'll hear anything soon?

Not really looking forward to submitting those Caribbean apps...

Hoping for a nice phone call

Anyone else living in the central west end? I'm getting pumped for school to start...never thought I would say that.

Is there anyone else out there who hopes to be accepted to another school besides SLU? I am on waiting lists at 3 other places and I am 100% certain I would choose 2 of them over SLU. However, I think that movement on waitlists is pretty infrequent at this point and I am therefore planning on making the move to Saint Louis within the next two weeks. The next 4 years at SLU will be an interesting adventure for me because the only time I've ever been to Saint Louis, or Missouri for that matter, was when I visited the school for the interview. Would anyone like to comment on what they think might be unique about medical school at SLU or life in general in Saint Louis? Did anyone turn down other schools to go to SLU? If so, why?

slu_md_2009 said:
Is there anyone else out there who hopes to be accepted to another school besides SLU? I am on waiting lists at 3 other places and I am 100% certain I would choose 2 of them over SLU. However, I think that movement on waitlists is pretty infrequent at this point and I am therefore planning on making the move to Saint Louis within the next two weeks. The next 4 years at SLU will be an interesting adventure for me because the only time I've ever been to Saint Louis, or Missouri for that matter, was when I visited the school for the interview. Would anyone like to comment on what they think might be unique about medical school at SLU or life in general in Saint Louis? Did anyone turn down other schools to go to SLU? If so, why?
Hey man, I too am hoping (kinda) for an acceptance from one of my waitlist schools(UC's and Loma Linda), but I don't think it will happen. I did choose SLU over a couple of other schools (MCW, Creighton, and UHSUS?) and did so for a lot of reasons. I really like SLU though, don't get me wrong, I am pumped to be there and think Saint Louis is a fun city. All the students seems cool and chill (especially compared to the "other" school in the STL.) I am from California, so like you, the only time I have been to St. Louis is during the interview. I have always heard good things from doctors about SLU and think you don't have to worry about the school's name when it comes to residency placement.

hi there~

glad to see new posts from my future classmates. ;) originally i was waiting for cincy; however, there's very little movement up till now. interestingly, my family doctor actually rated SLU above cincy. i'm definitely happy about that. :thumbup:

i started looking for housing at st. louis 2 weeks ago, and now i'm holding a 1 bdrm unit at hampton gardens. because i had a regional interview at SF, i haven't had the chance to visit st. louis. i'll be flying there to check out the school, my future apartment and take care of other miscellaneous thing. hopefully i will be ready for the coming school year soon. :oops: i look forward to meeting all of you soon!~

slu_md_2009 said:
Did anyone turn down other schools to go to SLU? If so, why?

I turned down BU for SLU. The biggest reason for me was that the students at SLU seemed to be enjoying their medical education a heck of a lot more than students at BU. I was also really impressed with the respect that faculty and staff at SLU have for their medical students.

Hey fellow SLU-ers: When are people getting into town? I was thinking of having some SDNers over for dinner Monday or Tuesday the week before orientation if people aren't too overwhelmed? I know that's still a bit away, but if people think they might be interested, PM me so I know if I should plan. :)

Hey guys and gals, I am waiting on my state school, but at this point, I should start looking for apts in St louis. Has any of you start going down to st louis and actually visited those apts that are on their website? I might plan a trip next week to go down there and check out the apts. Good luck to those that are still waiting. :luck:

dm1279 said:
Hey fellow SLU-ers: When are people getting into town? I was thinking of having some SDNers over for dinner Monday or Tuesday the week before orientation if people aren't too overwhelmed? I know that's still a bit away, but if people think they might be interested, PM me so I know if I should plan. :)

Hi dm~

Thanks for the warm offer! I'm still not quite sure about when I'll be moving to St. Louis, so I might not get there in time for the dinner. :( But I definitely look forward to the social events during the orientation week. Do you mind letting me know which events you've picked? I'm still in the process of figuring out what to check. :rolleyes:

slu_md_2009 said:
Would anyone like to comment on what they think might be unique about medical school at SLU or life in general in Saint Louis? Did anyone turn down other schools to go to SLU? If so, why?

Hi there,

By this point you've probably already made your decision about SLU, but I figure I'll reply anyway. I was seriously considering going to SLU but ended up going with another option. I've lived in St. Louis for a while, though, and I have to say that it's a really fun city.

Perks: Midwestern people are so friendly. Your social life = drinking. Down-to-earth classmates. Good residency placements. Inner city hospital, so you'll see a variety of ailments...including gunshot wounds....

Drawbacks: Your social life = drinking. As a general rule, midwesterners will neverever move...so unless you want to stay in STL forever, forget dating one. Med campus is separated from the undergrad campus. $$Tuition$$

Anyway, I doubt you'd regret choosing SLU. STL is a great place to live for a few years!

Best of luck!

emster said:
Perks: Your social life = drinking.
Drawbacks: Your social life = drinking.
Best of luck!

Ahh!~ I can't drink. I'd fall asleep right after. Does that mean I'd have no social life? :(

Hey there,

I'm moving out of my apartment in the Villages of Wyncrest (www.villagesofwyncrest.com) on August 1, and I'm wondering if anyone wants to sublet. I'll have the month of August and September left on my lease, but the managers are really cool and would definitely let you keep renting longer than that. My apartment's in a great, *safe* neighborhood that's only a couple mins from The Loop and about 10 mins to SLU. There's also free parking out the wazoo in the subdivision. Another perk is that the maintenance is 24/7. My specific apartment is 550 sq.feet, it has a ton of closet space, and it's got central air (of course). It's also directly in front of the laundry room/work-out facility, and - even better - it's super close to the pool. (Seriously, the pool here is amazing. It's water temp is perfect, there are tons of plants and pretty flowers everywhere, and there are lots of sunbathing chairs). Anyway, let me know if you're interested! I pay $550/month, but I'm only asking $400/month to sublet during August and September. In addition, gas/electric should run about $40/month, and I can leave the cable internet on for you for $30/month if you'd like.

Gimme an e-mail if you'd like to check it out! There are tons of Billikens here, as well as Wash U and UMSL students, so you'd be in good company.

Take care,

Emily
[email protected]

Hey, we are three weeks out....What is everyone up to this summer? I'm trying to have as much fun as possible before school starts. Surfing, fishing, and camping 5 days a week, as much as work can allow.

I'm excited to meet y'all in the STL. 314's....

jbm44 said:
Hey, we are three weeks out....What is everyone up to this summer? I'm trying to have as much fun as possible before school starts. Surfing, fishing, and camping 5 days a week, as much as work can allow.

I'm excited to meet y'all in the STL. 314's....

I am just trying to relax before school starts. Anybody know where is the best place to buy furnitures near St Louis (Cheapest place :D )?

Yeah, seriously go for the Sally (Salvation Army). There are tons of 'em around here, and you'll only have the furniture for 4 years. Otherwise I'd just buy used furniture off of the 4th years. (I did get a pretty sweet, cheap desk at Office Max, tho.)

emster said:
Yeah, seriously go for the Sally (Salvation Army). There are tons of 'em around here, and you'll only have the furniture for 4 years. Otherwise I'd just buy used furniture off of the 4th years. (I did get a pretty sweet, cheap desk at Office Max, tho.)

Cool, I will have to check into that, thx.

nervouspremed said:
Cool, I will have to check into that, thx.

Also, you might want to check out this place called Weekends Only.

Its a furniture outlet that is only open on Fri, Sat, and Sun but they usually have wicked deals on good furniture

DrThom said:
Also, you might want to check out this place called Weekends Only.

Its a furniture outlet that is only open on Fri, Sat, and Sun but they usually have wicked deals on good furniture
Thx :D

I recently got accepted at SLU, Thank God, see you all there.

kashif said:
How many of you are getting Laptops for Class?

im gonna be using my old laptop. i doubt ill bring it to class though.

kashif... congrats on your acceptance!!!

kashif said:
How many of you are getting Laptops for Class?

I just got a new laptop, but I doubt I will use it to take notes during class, I prefer to use pen and paper. congrats :thumbup:

whats the dress code for the white coat ceremony? what are you folks gona wear? ooooh im soo excited... 13 days left :D

pakidoc said:
whats the dress code for the white coat ceremony? what are you folks gona wear? ooooh im soo excited... 13 days left :D
Not really sure, but I am probably gonna wear a dress shirt and a tie. :D

I always overdress...I am sure I'll wear a suit, but ditch the jacket once I get there if I'm the only person wearing one.

It seems like it'll be too hot for a jacket. Plus you really can't wear a jacket under your white coat. I think I'll just go with a dress shirt and tie.

size_tens said:
It seems like it'll be too hot for a jacket. Plus you really can't wear a jacket under your white coat. I think I'll just go with a dress shirt and tie.

true that
im guessing most guys will wear a dress shirt plus tie.

i just checked the packet of info that slu sent us early july. says 'nice casual' for the 31st.

dress shirt and tie will do; no coat necessary as you will be wearing your white coat. It is a pretty nice ceremony held in the cathedral.