*** Official StonyBrook Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NyCzPeter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
StonyBrook Class of 2013 Unite!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stony Brook Class of 2013!

sup guys...i will be attending stony c/o 2013. let's start up a facebook group or something...can't wait to meet all you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i will be there too. Also, i started a facebook group called Stony Brook Dental School Class of 2013 or something like that. feel free to join.

oh nice, we already got 3 asian guys already in our class of 39 total...haha. i'll be joining the facebook group....

dk87, are you asian too???? lol

LOL im asian too..
and i just met stillmaticbeat on the sdnlatenight AIM chat who got in yesterday also.. hes asian as well haha. Congrats to you all and I cant wait to meet you guys

just to clarify, group's name is "Stony Brook Dental Class of 2013" on facebook lol, so many asians! It'll just be like Stony Brook Undergrad now.... like 60% asian peeps...

Count me in Stonybrook class of 2013

God I haven't been on face book since they messed it up big time

Last edited:
Congrats everyone =)...See u in June!!

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL klutzy, i am yankees/knicks/jets/rangers!!! totally opposite of you...but i guess we can at least TRY to get along :)

Only like 6 of us so far? Where is everyone??

I wanna join the club :(

I hope I get a call in the near future

I wanna join the club :(

I hope I get a call in the near future

holy **** dude your DATs are Pwnage, you definitely have a good shot unless you're not from NY, in which case you'd have a better chance getting into Harvard. hows your other stats?

I was so excited to get the call from Dr. Cinotti, but I am having the hardest time of my life deciding between Stony Brook and Columbia!! Can you please share with me any advice, thoughts or opinions that will make this decision easier?!

I was so excited to get the call from Dr. Cinotti, but I am having the hardest time of my life deciding between Stony Brook and Columbia!! Can you please share with me any advice, thoughts or opinions that will make this decision easier?!

I was facing the same problem before. If you search the thread last yr (Class of 2012), we discussed about this. Hope it helps you =)
Good luck

wow jhotsa, you interviewed with 12 schools?? that's quite a number :)

stonybrook is your state school, so you will save tons of money by the time you graduate (close to $150,000). Class size is only 39, so you will get all the attention you would ever want. If you like a quieter, campus setting lifestyle in the suburbs, stonybrook is for you.

columbia is an ivy league school with a brand name, and also a well respected institution. cost is higher, it's located 2 blocks from harlem in NYC, and the class size is double that of stony. but if you want research opportunities and/or specialization, columbia is for you.

in the end, it's safe to say ALL dental schools give similar educational opportunities, so you can't say that a particular school will make you into a "better" dentist. Rather, when choosing schools, it's all about cost, location, and lifestyle.

I read the 2012 acceptance thread, and that kind of just confused me a bit more - there seems to be a lot of Stony Brook bashing towards the end... Whlee84 - I feel like you summed the differences up pretty well. But the minute I start going a little in the direction of one school I start doubting myself and going the other way. I guess the problem is that I am not sure what I want. Oh well... maybe it will come to me in a dream... Thank you so much for your thoughts though :)

For those who got accepted, can I ask what your stats were?

jhotsa, i just read last year's thread also. The only "bashing" comes from ONE individual. It's impossible for all 39 students at stony to LOVE the school. However, all other students I've talked to loves stonybrook, so you gotta go with the majority there.

i chose stony because it was the best education for the best price for me, not to mention the small class size

Lol you're asking this on a stonybrook UNITE! thread. everyones pretty much gonna tell you stony DUH! if you want a more unbiased opinion, start a new thread for it.

With that being said, some call it the legendary AwsomeBrook for a reason! =D

Well I am writing on this thread because I WANT to hear positive things about Stony. I want to be convinced - I want to know the reasons why the people who are excited to go to Stony Brook are going there. Of course people with other favorite schools are going to say negative things about it - but what do they know anyways! lol

go there to go the 76 ounce steak challenge and get your picture posted on the wall of fame, duhh, what other reasons do you need?

Their small class size, amazing facilirties and clinic, family like atmosphere, and unparallelled balance between didactics and clinic make it #1 in my book. Not to mention the cost and safe neighborhood.

holy **** dude your DATs are Pwnage, you definitely have a good shot unless you're not from NY, in which case you'd have a better chance getting into Harvard. hows your other stats?

I'm from NY

Whats holding me back in my undergrad 2.8 but I was hoping my graduate grades 3.85 could mitigate it a bit. Interview went well despite my undergrad and I called up the admissions office a day ago they said they had not gotten my application back from the admission commette yet, thus I am neither rejected nor accepted at the moment, limbo if you will.

I kinda feel like schrodinger's cat, except in that thought experiment you really don't want to be the cat lol

I'm from NY

Whats holding me back in my undergrad 2.8 but I was hoping my graduate grades 3.85 could mitigate it a bit. Interview went well despite my undergrad and I called up the admissions office a day ago they said they had not gotten my application back from the admission commette yet, thus I am neither rejected nor accepted at the moment, limbo if you will.

I kinda feel like schrodinger's cat, except in that thought experiment you really don't want to be the cat lol

When was your interview???

go there to go the 76 ounce steak challenge and get your picture posted on the wall of fame, duhh, what other reasons do you need?

Lol I concur 76ounce steak challenge is the shiznit. I'm about to go try it and hopefully get my ass on the wall of fame. J&R > Outback steak house fosho.

As for the original question. Stony is the **** hands down, everyone in the healthcare community knows all stonybrook health sciences are top in the country

yea stonybrook! see you guys next year :)

did i read somewhere u created a facebook group??

yea stonybrook! see you guys next year :)

did i read somewhere u created a facebook group??

Yeah you did scroll up

[quote=Astral87;7441144]lol, i will be there too. Also, i started a facebook group called Stony Brook Dental School Class of 2013 or something like that. feel free to join[/quote]

I'd say make a new thread too..this is a biased place for this conversation obviously. It's only fair to yourself to get opinions on both. You can eat steak on LI...or city life might be able to beat that for you. Columbia is so amazing..everyone I know there is crazy about it...Good luck!

I'd say make a new thread too..this is a biased place for this conversation obviously. It's only fair to yourself to get opinions on both. You can eat steak on LI...or city life might be able to beat that for you. Columbia is so amazing..everyone I know there is crazy about it...Good luck!

Hmm... just saw AllSmiles009 suggest someone should go to Buff over stony in the Buff or stony thread. Now he/shes talking about how great columbia is here aswell. And, its a brand new account with only these two posts, both of which telling people to NOT choose stony. So its fairly obvious that this account was newly made just for that specific purpose. Hmm, now why would someone make a brand new account just to tell people not to choose stony? It doesn't add up... :bang:

Hmm... just saw AllSmiles009 suggest someone should go to Buff over stony in the Buff or stony thread. Now he/shes talking about how great columbia is here aswell. And, its a brand new account with only these two posts, both of which telling people to NOT choose stony. So its fairly obvious that this account was newly made just for that specific purpose. Hmm, now why would someone make a brand new account just to tell people not to choose stony? It doesn't add up... :bang:

Youre pretty clever, no wonder you got into Stonybrook. Didnt even realize that. The account was created prob by an older member that is hoping to dicourage people from going to stony so that another spot there opens open. Pretty low if you ask me.

Youre pretty clever, no wonder you got into Stonybrook. Didnt even realize that. The account was created prob by an older member that is hoping to dicourage people from going to stony so that another spot there opens open. Pretty low if you ask me.

damn you caught me!!!! :laugh:

j/k j/k

but seriously have a mod run a quick IP check and see if three people are really one....

damn you caught me!!!! :laugh:

j/k j/k

but seriously have a mod run a quick IP check and see if three people are really one....

Im pulling for you man I'd love to be your class mate. Hopefully youll get the call in the round before christmas.

Im pulling for you man I'd love to be your class mate. Hopefully youll get the call in the round before christmas.

thanks playa :cool:

Hopefully I will and trust me this thread will be the first to know....

To all that made it to this elite program I salute you :thumbup:

Thanks achilles I'm rootin for you too.

At any rate, just got the letter in the mail, and I'm filling out the form right now Woot. Doesn't have a return envelope though. Anyone else got their official letters?

i'm at school right now and i wont be at my permanent address until the 18th.. im planning to bring it in person to stony brook hopefully on the 19th

sending my deposit in tomorrow! yay :) does anyone know when the next deposit is due or how much it is?

Sorry guys! I actually just knew people who went to Buffalo and Columbia. I don't know much about Stony but sorry if it came off that way. I did not apply this year. I think you just read too much into it. Congratulations to you and good luck!

Hey guys,

So I also got the acceptance call from Dean Cinotti on Dec 1st. However I have not recieved the letter yet...Today I got a mail slip saying that USPS missed sending out my Stony Brook letter. Is it a small letter for acceptances or a large envelope- the slip says its a small letter. I'm kinda scared that they called me by accident. Lemme know what your acceptance letter looks like.

Hey guys,

So I also got the acceptance call from Dean Cinotti on Dec 1st. However I have not recieved the letter yet...Today I got a mail slip saying that USPS missed sending out my Stony Brook letter. Is it a small letter for acceptances or a large envelope- the slip says its a small letter. I'm kinda scared that they called me by accident. Lemme know what your acceptance letter looks like.

Small means Bad News bro.
I got a large packet with a big certificate inside.

Before you have a myocardial infarction lol. i'm just messin. Its just a nice little letter that they so graciously paid like 5 bucks to deliver expedited or something

Small means Bad News bro.
I got a large packet with a big certificate inside.

haha thats so mean...

i thought the same thing, but it was wonderful news. The post office lost my letter and I waited an hour there until they found it. now that was scary