Official Temple Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Khenon said:
Anyone applying/interviewed/accepted to Temple out of state? I was born in Philly and have family there, but I was raised out of state, and am currently living in Minnesota. I don't know if my "history" with PA will help me or not.

I'm from Florida, with no real connection to PA, and got in. From what I understand, they don't interview many out of state people, so if you get interviewed it's a good sign.

Also, I heard that the rotations during the 3rd and 4th years are done on a lottery system. Is this pretty common? Can you be sent out to one of their remote affiliate hospitals? One wouldn't want to get sent to a rural community surgery rotation if they were looking for an academic-type residency, I assume. Even though I liked Temple better in many respects, I'm having a hard time choosing between Temple and Tulane.

Members don't see this ad.

CalH22a said:
Do any of you guys know where Temple stands in terms of rankings? Is it considered a mid-tier school?

I am wondering this also

Cerberus said:
Temple 2009 - w00t

my interviewer was hella nice (it was a very short interview). I recieved my letter ~3 weeks later

I am afraid Jeffy will knife me between classes though :eek: :scared:

Cerb, why did I think you were already in med school? To all you soon-to-be first years: I have been dreaming about the class of '09 since I started, once you guys start, that means I will be a 4th year! WOO HOO!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
coincidental said:
As far as Temple being my first choice...I'm pretty concerned with money. Especially my lack of money. Temple is in-state for me, I liked the school, the set-up, the students and the overall vibe of the place.

I'm a PA resident also... i was under the impression that penn state was the only pa school with a big tuition break (pitt also has a small break)... since temple/drexel/jeff/upenn are all private, arent they just as much as out of state schools?

davedavedave said:
I'm a PA resident also... i was under the impression that penn state was the only pa school with a big tuition break (pitt also has a small break)... since temple/drexel/jeff/upenn are all private, arent they just as much as out of state schools?

Penn State, Temple and Pitt are all considered state schools and are public. Jefferson is apparently the state school for Delaware (probably because they're allied with the Dupont hospital system). However, Delaware is so small, I don't think it really impacts admissions. Those three schools give a tution break and hold between 50-30% of their class for PA residents. The tution break isn't that big, relatively speaking (PSU 27k, Temple & Pitt 30K). But, I'd be willing to pay the extra money for the better locations (okay, and PSU waitlisted me, but bleah).

Drexel and UPenn are definately private though. Their tution is considerably more a year than the others (36+k) and they offer no state preferrence.

Did this help?

misterxchen said:
I am wondering this also
I think it's midtier, but from what I've heard the clinical reputation is well known when 4th years go for their residency interviews (to the point where the interviewees were actually impressed by their own school's rep).

I'm a second year, so if you guys have questions feel free to holla. To address a few that I've seen- center city is not the only place to live and most of the first year class doesn't live there, actually. Check out roxborough/manayunk/east falls on www.philadelphia.craigslist.org if you want to have a car. I live in east falls and my roommate and I pay $800 total/month for a cute place with an off street parking spot, heat and water included. To give you an idea.

As for the person who asked why so gung-ho temple, it really is a funny thing. I think there's just a "temple" kinda personality. I think it's a combination of being a real, full person who wants to do community stuff and completely non-academic stuff but still wants to be an excellent clinician. My classmates have a great time but I'm continually impressed when I get to work with them at our student run clinics, etc. When I went for my interview I really had no idea why I'd even applied there (had picked a philly school at random). But when I came something just kinda clicked- the fact that everybody (students & staff) seemed like they really wanted to be here, the amount of community involvement, the unparalelled opportunities. There's bad things just like there's bad things at ANY school (I have friends in all the philly schools, TRUST me on this) but I haven't regretted it for a second...

Temple people,

In their literature, Temple claims to be about 50% out-of-state but in the 2004 MSAR I saw a much greater number of in-state matriculants.

Does this mean of the people they accept 50% are out-of-state? And it just winds up that more in-staters choose to go there?

Pembleton said:
Temple people,

In their literature, Temple claims to be about 50% out-of-state but in the 2004 MSAR I saw a much greater number of in-state matriculants.

Does this mean of the people they accept 50% are out-of-state? And it just winds up that more in-staters choose to go there?

Well, it may vary from year-to-year. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the tution break plays some role. It's hard to tell...I'd be willing to bet that the admission committee aims to admit 50% PA resident, and it varies a little bit as residents shuffle between the three 'state' schools and other schools.