Official Temple Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhawk

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched and searched and couldnt find one already started, so I figured I would start. I just got my acceptance today, and although I have a few balls in the air, I am almost positive I will be looking for apartments in center city in July. Anyone else get in/plan on attending? I interviewed on 11/16.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...I got in. ANd I actually liked it a lot more than I would. But I am still doing interviews...but it is a possibility :)

am i missing something. i interviewed there in october and haven't received an admissions response. is there anyone else like me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can count me in. I've got interviews elsewhere, but unless I get a nice finacial aid package (ha! hello, middle class gap) I'll be returning to Philly (thank goodness!) I'm quite excited about it actually...

Any future classmates wanna chat via AIM? PM me if you want to.

Congrats to you guys :thumbup: . Philly is a great city. It'll be even greater if the Eagles don't choke again this year.

Where do most Temple students live? in Center City?

I dont know for sure where most students stay, but my tour guide said she lived in center city and liked the drive, cost, etc... I am pumped to be out there, wasnt sure at all after I heard stories about the crime but the campus looked nice and all of the student feedback was positive.

Still, cant root for the Eagles, just cause I'm gonna live there for 4 yrs, gotta stick with the Vikes, purple pride all the way...

krelian said:
Congrats to you guys :thumbup: . Philly is a great city. It'll be even greater if the Eagles don't choke again this year.

Well the Eagles are headed down the same path . . . get home field advantage for the championship game; don't actually show up for the game. Maybe they can pull it out this year, but I'm not holding my breath! :D

Anyone applying/interviewed/accepted to Temple out of state? I was born in Philly and have family there, but I was raised out of state, and am currently living in Minnesota. I don't know if my "history" with PA will help me or not.

Khenon said:
Anyone applying/interviewed/accepted to Temple out of state? I was born in Philly and have family there, but I was raised out of state, and am currently living in Minnesota. I don't know if my "history" with PA will help me or not.

I'm from Cali. So tuition is gonna be high...out of state :eek: . But students seem happy. Philly seems like a decent city.

DeterminedMD said:
I'm from Cali. So tuition is gonna be high...out of state :eek: . But students seem happy. Philly seems like a decent city.

Hey, I lived in Southern Cali for 6 years (military)! I really miss the big city! I work with a DO that did her residency at Temple, and she thought it was great experience. She loved Philly too. I hope I get some good news from Temple.

Anyone know how they send out interview invites (email or snail mail)?

I am an out of state resident, MN coincidentally enough, and I was accepted. I think they definitely bias towards PA students, but they try their best for diversity. I am out of state, with mediocre app., and they took me, in my opinion partly because I am from a really small school that has never sent anyone to Temple before. I think they really look for a diverse student body, more so than a lot of places, so, although I am male and white, I am from MN and a small school in WI, so thats almost as unique as anything in Philly! :)

vhawk01 said:
I am an out of state resident, MN coincidentally enough, and I was accepted. I think they definitely bias towards PA students, but they try their best for diversity. I am out of state, with mediocre app., and they took me, in my opinion partly because I am from a really small school that has never sent anyone to Temple before. I think they really look for a diverse student body, more so than a lot of places, so, although I am male and white, I am from MN and a small school in WI, so thats almost as unique as anything in Philly! :)

Well that's interesting! I'm from rural Idaho, and graduated from the University of Idaho, so what are the chances they have someon from that edge of the planet! Maybe I stand a shot. Unfortunately I wasn't complete until Nov (lazy LOR), so I'm probably going to have to wait to hear something good. Hopefully I won't get a rejection too soon. Congrats on your acceptance by the way! :thumbup:

Khenon said:
Hey, I lived in Southern Cali for 6 years (military)! I really miss the big city! I work with a DO that did her residency at Temple, and she thought it was great experience. She loved Philly too. I hope I get some good news from Temple.

Anyone know how they send out interview invites (email or snail mail)?

They send it snailmail in a VERY thin envelope. So dont let that throw you off. Yeah, Im from a big city in SoCal. I am spoiled by the weather here! But I definitely think I would be happier in a big city and Philly has enough going on. I think I will be fine there apart from the snow burrrrrr. People definitely seemed happy & comfortable at Temple. And they really hdo have a very diverse class in terms of backgrounds, etc. More so than other schools I have seen.

DeterminedMD said:
They send it snailmail in a VERY thin envelope. So dont let that throw you off. Yeah, Im from a big city in SoCal. I am spoiled by the weather here! But I definitely think I would be happier in a big city and Philly has enough going on. I think I will be fine there apart from the snow burrrrrr. People definitely seemed happy & comfortable at Temple. And they really hdo have a very diverse class in terms of backgrounds, etc. More so than other schools I have seen.

Thanks for the info, and Yes I can totally sympathize about getting used to Cali's weather! I moved from there to northern Idaho! Talk about a shocker. And now I'm in Minnesota! What was I thinking?! Anything is an improvement from Rochester, MN . . . well, except Duluth, which I've applied to as well. :) That's good to hear about the diversity thing. I've actually got alot going for me in that area, so that'll probably be my one shot at getting in there. Here's hopin'!

Members don't see this ad :)
Khenon,

You doing some post-bacc at Mayo or something? Or are you at the new U of M Rochester extension? I go to school in La Crosse, so I am fairly familiar with the area. How can you possibly stand living there!??1 :) I mean, you guys got Chipotle, but thats about it....

In response to the THIN white envelope....No kidding!! My first decision from any school, all I hear about is how acceptances come in big brown envelopes, and my roomate plops that thing down in my lap...I told him just to throw it away, but he made me open it.

I too am a potential Temple Class of 2009er!! Great school, I liked it a lot, and can actually see myself out there. I'm from Southern Calif. too so I'm still holdin' out for my hometown schools (fingers crossed for USC).

But who knows, maybe every other school will hate me and I'll be at Temple after all! Owl woot!

Interviewed 9/23, Accepted 10/19 or so.

Hey for all you Temple 2009ers, how long was your interview? I just interviewed at Temple, and mine was a whole 15 minutes. Correction, 10 minutes and then me asking questions for about 5 minutes. It was an interesting interview, as the first question I got was if I had interviewed anywhere else followed by which schools. After I told my interviewer where I had already gone, he seemed to give off the vibe that he didn't think I was seirous about the school, and just kinda went nowhere. I remember all I could think was how much money I had just blown on this interview!!! But, the kid after me had a similar encounter with my interviewer, so I am not really sure how that plays out for me. Did any of you have a similar experience?

Also I would like to say that I am not a Pennsylvania resident but am a resident of North Dakota since Khenon was asking about nonresidents.

Rzarecta said:
Hey for all you Temple 2009ers, how long was your interview? I just interviewed at Temple, and mine was a whole 15 minutes. Correction, 10 minutes and then me asking questions for about 5 minutes. It was an interesting interview, as the first question I got was if I had interviewed anywhere else followed by which schools. After I told my interviewer where I had already gone, he seemed to give off the vibe that he didn't think I was seirous about the school, and just kinda went nowhere. I remember all I could think was how much money I had just blown on this interview!!! But, the kid after me had a similar encounter with my interviewer, so I am not really sure how that plays out for me. Did any of you have a similar experience?

Also I would like to say that I am not a Pennsylvania resident but am a resident of North Dakota since Khenon was asking about nonresidents.

Hey, no worries. My interview was exactly the same way (10 minutes of talk, me asking questions for five) and I got my acceptance letter a couple weeks later. (Interview 10/19ish. acceptance 11/4) I got the feeling Temple doesn't have a set list of questions for the interviewers (unlike GW...my student interviewer and adcom interviewer asked the exact same questions. I was a little amused.). There's one bad interviewer, but it doesn't sound like you got him. All the people at my day reported the same thing (except for the people with the bastard-interviewer). So, don't worry! If they liked you enough to invite you to come, and the interview didn't completely bomb, I doubt there's any problems. Good luck!

coincidental said:
Hey, no worries. My interview was exactly the same way (10 minutes of talk, me asking questions for five) and I got my acceptance letter a couple weeks later. (Interview 10/19ish. acceptance 11/4) I got the feeling Temple doesn't have a set list of questions for the interviewers (unlike GW...my student interviewer and adcom interviewer asked the exact same questions. I was a little amused.). There's one bad interviewer, but it doesn't sound like you got him. All the people at my day reported the same thing (except for the people with the bastard-interviewer). So, don't worry! If they liked you enough to invite you to come, and the interview didn't completely bomb, I doubt there's any problems. Good luck!

Definitely. Mine lasted an hour but still all my interviewer did was ask me general questions about my app in order to get me to elaborate more. Whatever, worked for me. :smuggrin:

coincidental said:

I just want to say that my interviewer at Temple was BY FAR the nicest person I have met at any of the schools at which I've interviewed (which hasn't been many, but still). He was so friendly, extremely laid back, and put me totally at ease and even had me laughing a little bit. He seemed a little scattered (the stacks of books and papers piled up in his office was ridiculous... looked like the man hadn't cleaned in years, haha)...but that actually made the experience even more interesting and overall, really stress-free. Anyway, his name was Dr. Fayaz Safadi if anyone else had him!

PS. I might be a Temple 2009er! I just got my acceptance this week. Right now it's between Penn State Hershey and Temple... 2 veerrrrry different schools, haha. I'm also still waiting to hear from a few more, but who knows. :)

Temple 2009 - w00t

my interviewer was hella nice (it was a very short interview). I recieved my letter ~3 weeks later

I am afraid Jeffy will knife me between classes though :eek: :scared:

Cerberus said:
Temple 2009 - w00t

my interviewer was hella nice (it was a very short interview). I recieved my letter ~3 weeks later

I am afraid Jeffy will knife me between classes though :eek: :scared:

me too :(

Hey Cerb, I didn't know you got into Temple! That's awesome! :)

About the aforementioned interviewer,

Since I have heard that adcoms and interviewers peruse this site with some frequency, I will be posting with a self-imposed censure....

I interviewed with the person you guys are talking about. It wasn't that he was mean or anything, but, as I found out later, he is sort of notorious for giving bizarre interviews. Difficult, off-putting questions, very short. When I went to my interview, through the magic of the Philly public transit system (weird how SEPTA seems close to what I would call it) I left my hotel at 7 for a 10:00 interview and was almost late, sprinting up the stairs. To make a long story moderately less long, after fifteen minutes the interview was over and I was absolutely positive that my tour was going to be the last time I ever saw Philly again.

Back at the admissions office, I talked with another woman who had had my interviewer and a very similar experience, and was told by one of the ad people that he usually gets this response, but fights very hard for the people that he "likes." Got accepted about two weeks later, go figure, and really loved the school, tour, etc... Unless they were tricking me, I plan on attending in the fall

congrats to all of you! i hope we get to see you at the lunch truck! i think you guys got fish fry lunch truck. see you guys all in the library as well. isn't that the happening place. welcome to temple community!

vhawk01 said:
About the aforementioned interviewer,

Since I have heard that adcoms and interviewers peruse this site with some frequency, I will be posting with a self-imposed censure....

Wow. They do? I knew SDN was well=known among students, but I never suspected adcoms/interviewers would be here. Do you mean specifically Temple people, or just people in general?

weird. I never would have guessed.

Actually, I talked with both an interviewer and one of the speaker people at a certain Jesuit institution on the Eastern seabord, mascot deriving from Latin cheer, and they themselves brought it up and asked me if I had ever been on there. When I said yes to my interviewer, he told me that people on there say mean things about the aforementioned speaker, but they dont know what they are talking about. He then told me that he thinks its funny that people post on here thinking no one ever sees it.... at which point I RAPIDLY scanned my memory to make sure I didnt post anything flaming or inappropriate recently....my SDN name gives away my identity fairly easily.

It was really a bizarre moment, but yeah, at least at one place, they DO read this, I dont know how often, but they do.

vhawk01 said:
Actually, I talked with both an interviewer and one of the speaker people at a certain Jesuit institution on the Eastern seabord, mascot deriving from Latin cheer, and they themselves brought it up and asked me if I had ever been on there. When I said yes to my interviewer, he told me that people on there say mean things about the aforementioned speaker, but they dont know what they are talking about. He then told me that he thinks its funny that people post on here thinking no one ever sees it.... at which point I RAPIDLY scanned my memory to make sure I didnt post anything flaming or inappropriate recently....my SDN name gives away my identity fairly easily.

It was really a bizarre moment, but yeah, at least at one place, they DO read this, I dont know how often, but they do.

Huh. I guess I just thought they wouldn't have time or something. I've never met the interviewer in question, but people in my group came back rather discouraged and stressed out after they had him. It kinda brought home how random this process can be, since my own interview was fairly painless...I guess I'll be watching my language in the future though...whoops...

Hi everyone! I'm also a possible member of the class of 2009. I'm just wondering how all you people feel about this school? I was really surprised by how much I liked Temple and the interview day. I thought it was nice how the tour was broken into really small groups. Only major thing I don't like about the school is the neighborhood. BTW, does Temple offer some type of second visit? When is it usually? And is anyone planning to go?

i got accepted into temple and may go there as well...

philly is a pretty good city, but i wouldn't recommend living around the temple campus

the apartments downtown are very nice but generally run around 1000 for a one bedroom

I liked the school and the city seems decent enough. I mean its no NYC but at least its got a subway system.

Downsides:
Philly is cold
Temple is expensive
Jeffy wants to knife me for being such a chick magnet
Phlly is ghetttoo

Upsides:
Good people
Great clinicals
Getting to knife Cerberus for wearing gay shoes

vhawk01 said:
Khenon,

You doing some post-bacc at Mayo or something? Or are you at the new U of M Rochester extension? I go to school in La Crosse, so I am fairly familiar with the area. How can you possibly stand living there!??1 :) I mean, you guys got Chipotle, but thats about it....

In response to the THIN white envelope....No kidding!! My first decision from any school, all I hear about is how acceptances come in big brown envelopes, and my roomate plops that thing down in my lap...I told him just to throw it away, but he made me open it.

Hey! I just moved from La Crosse . . . or Onalaska to be more accurate. I moved to the area from Idaho, because I wanted to do the Clinical Microbiology masters program at UW La Crosse. But they hired a new director, and the program ended up being almost the exact same thing as my masters degree from the University of Idaho. So I was supposed to get a job at Gundersen Lutheran, in the microbiology research lab (Steve Callister . . . do you know him?), but they ended up not having any funding. So I started looking for work at Mayo (my fiance had been working there since Nov), and finally got a job in April. I'm currently a Sr. Research Tech in the Hematology research department. Rochester is alright . . . I like it better then living in the La Crosse area. Not that La Crosse was horrible or anything, but the mall here is a little bigger, and there's several more restaurants. We also have Noodles, Krispy Kremes, and Macaroni Grill. There's also a great sports bar called Westfire, that we hang out at alot. Anyway, we're alot happier here. We actually had alot of bad experience in La Crosse, so we're glad to put it all behind us. I think La Crosse is for students, or for those who have grown up here. If you're an "outsider" it's not so great. All the people I know here that went to school in La Crosse absolutely loved it, and can't wait to get back every Octoberfest. I guess as an old lady, I didn't get into that stuff as much! :laugh:

So I saw another thread regarding cars on the forums, but what doyou plan on doing. I have a car and really dont wanna give it up. Temp[le made it sound like the public transportation was easy. But I plan on living in Roxborough area. Which I am assuming you need a car. But it sounds as though it is a big liability (getting stolen or hit by uninsured drivers, etc). I dont really care that Philly, or the school itself, is "ghetto" as others have put it. Just wondering if I really need a car.

I couldnt agree more about LAX. It is definitely geared towards the undergrad population, a GREAT college town, which is why I love it. Rochester is definitely not that.

I currently volunteer at Gund. Luth, but I dont know the person you were talking about. Weird coincidence though, especially if we both end up going to Temple!

vhawk01 said:
Weird coincidence though, especially if we both end up going to Temple!
Tell me about it! On SDN I've found someone from the same university I graduated from, who was in the same department, at the same time, and we're sharing an LOR! Crazy! I don't know how we don't know each other. Anyway, we're both applying to another school (Indiana) and were thinking the same thing . . . what if we both end up at Indiana? :laugh: Small world.

So is Temple your "for sure" school, or are you still waiting for some other acceptances? Honestly I'd take anything, but I've heard good things about Temple, and I'm kind of excited about it. I sure hope I at least get an interview.

Temple is both my "for sure" school, and I am still waiting for other acceptances. :) I will pretty much not take any other acceptance, unless something weird happens or changes, but I have been on at least one other interview and am awaiting others. I will probably go on others if offered, just to make sure I still like Temple best, but I really loved it on my interview day and am about 93% sure thats where I will be in the Fall.

I'm kind of suprised by the number of people on this thread that are gung-ho over Temple. Don't get me wrong, I thought that the school was great and would be more than happy to attend there in August, but some of you consider it your #1 choice? I have at least a half-dozen or more schools ahead of it on my wishlist. What is it that you loved so much about it?

Regarding Public Transporation:

I don't know much about the in-city transportation, buses, subways, etc. But I do know SEPTA (oh, do I know SEPTA...:( ) and I really wouldn't rely on their system. They're cutting back hours and it can be very expensive ($9 round trip, per day). Luckily, this is only if you're traveling from outside the city. From within the city...I dunno. Thousands of other people do it...

As far as Temple being my first choice...I'm pretty concerned with money. Especially my lack of money. Temple is in-state for me, I liked the school, the set-up, the students and the overall vibe of the place. More imporantly, I've heard you get a good clinical background. I know people in the Philly health system, and besides the danger (which is present in any city), no one's had anything bad to say about the school. And, as was pointed out on my school tour, yeah, she knew a student that got shot, but he was on the UPenn campus when it occured.

So, I've gotten eight interviews, and I've attended five so far. But even if I get acceptances from the others, I'll probably take Temple over them anyway.

Do any of you guys know where Temple stands in terms of rankings? Is it considered a mid-tier school?

Jeffy said:
I'm kind of suprised by the number of people on this thread that are gung-ho over Temple. Don't get me wrong, I thought that the school was great and would be more than happy to attend there in August, but some of you consider it your #1 choice? I have at least a half-dozen or more schools ahead of it on my wishlist. What is it that you loved so much about it?

While Temple is not my first choice at all, I have to admit that I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Im not even sure what made me apply to Temple to begin with. And when I went I didnt expect much either way. I think I would be happy there though. Students and staff seemed very friendly. I liked that it wast an extremely competitive environment. And students seemed to have somewhat of a life outside of school. I am still holding out for my state schools though....but as of yet it doesnt look promising :( .

What's up everybody!
I'm a first year at Temple right now, and I'd like to think you will all dig it. Anyway, I am happy with the program here (thus far - first semester done), and our class members are really cool. Anyways, if you are looking for anybody to answer your questions etc. I'll be around. (I think you should be able to PM, E-mail or IM from my profile perhaps?) I live in the Roxborough area (close to Manayunk/Andorra/East Falls etc.) so if anybody wants to know about apartments and stuff I'll be all over it.

Party on and congratulations!! :D

Hey my icon is gone. . hmm it's been a while.

Hey All,

I remember posting on this thread a week or so ago complaining about how poorly my interview went. In the mail today I received an acceptance letter to Temple, my first!!!! I am freaking out, and to top this day off I received another interview. Anyways, I just wanted to say that it is nice to have some of the stress be gone, along with having an acceptance. Temple, you're gonna have a special place in my heart for getting back to me first (actually second, my first was a post-interview reject from damn gtown). To those waiting, good luck and if you think your interview went poorly take it in stride!

Rzarecta said:
Hey All,

I remember posting on this thread a week or so ago complaining about how poorly my interview went. In the mail today I received an acceptance letter to Temple, my first!!!! I am freaking out, and to top this day off I received another interview. Anyways, I just wanted to say that it is nice to have some of the stress be gone, along with having an acceptance. Temple, you're gonna have a special place in my heart for getting back to me first (actually second, my first was a post-interview reject from damn gtown). To those waiting, good luck and if you think your interview went poorly take it in stride!

Hey, congratulations! Temple was my first acceptance also so I remember the feelings of accomplishment, joy, and fading stress quite well. And I like the way you mentioned that Temple has a special place in your heart now because I have been the same way - I even watched the Princeton v. Temple game the other day. Besides the fact that it just might be where I end up, they still get big up's from me for stealing my med school acceptance virginity. :eek: :cool:

Temple people,

Congrats on your acceptance! You deserved it.

What does the adcom use the status page for and how do interview invites get sent out?

Thanks

Pembleton said:
Temple people,

Congrats on your acceptance! You deserved it.

What does the adcom use the status page for and how do interview invites get sent out?

Thanks

Interview came via email, acceptance came via small envelope. Once you get an interview, you use the status page as an interview scheduling page.

Jeffy said:
Interview came via email, acceptance came via small envelope. Once you get an interview, you use the status page as an interview scheduling page.

Good to know, thanks.