OFFICIAL U of Chicago Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice about housing for next year? Should I apply to graduate student housing or wait until summer when the lists come out? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Fuzzyhead said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice about housing for next year? Should I apply to graduate student housing or wait until summer when the lists come out? Thanks!

I would wait until the list comes out. I am sure that will give you some better options.

My husband and I are moving to Chicago a week from Tuesday! If anyone from the 2009 class will be showing up this summer, PM me! According to Sylvia, our classmates show up in Hyde Park starting in June and we'll definitely be heating up the BBQ (my husband's a vegetarian so you're welcome even if you're not a meat eater). We've already got a great apartment with a huge back yard. Coming from Boston, I'm so excited to have grassy space to call my own :thumbup:
If you're an existing student, I'd love to meet you too. I've already met the fabulous fighter pilot duo (they were our hosts for interviews) and the MS2 who's also a lawyer. I'm really looking forward to meeting more of you folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
ads99 said:
My husband and I are moving to Chicago a week from Tuesday! If anyone from the 2009 class will be showing up this summer, PM me! According to Sylvia, our classmates show up in Hyde Park starting in June and we'll definitely be heating up the BBQ (my husband's a vegetarian so you're welcome even if you're not a meat eater). We've already got a great apartment with a huge back yard. Coming from Boston, I'm so excited to have grassy space to call my own :thumbup:
If you're an existing student, I'd love to meet you too. I've already met the fabulous fighter pilot duo (they were our hosts for interviews) and the MS2 who's also a lawyer. I'm really looking forward to meeting more of you folks.

Where did you find the apartment? Is it in Hyde Park? Any info you can pass along would be great. My wife and I are planning on finding an apartment in Hyde Park the first week of July and moving a few weeks later. I would also love to meet some fellow M1ers as I will be bored until school starts. I'm pumped about finally being able to say I know I will be in Chicago (even though I've known it all along).

frycek said:

Anyone know when we should start receiving info from chicago about matriculation, housing, etc? I realize classes dont start until September but all I have received are the financial aid forms and I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Also, is anyone NOT MARRIED? ;)

housemd, i just got my official packet in the mail with housing info, a few orientation notices, and a fairly slick guide to hyde park and chicago. its enough stuff to get you excited about coming to chicago. plus it has a complete contact list of current pritzker M1s if you want to contact a few strangers. i too noticed that, according to this thread, a disproportionate number of our classmates are married (well...at least two). im not, so rest assured that at least one of your classmates will not be married.

el_chavo said:
Where did you find the apartment? Is it in Hyde Park? Any info you can pass along would be great. My wife and I are planning on finding an apartment in Hyde Park the first week of July and moving a few weeks later. I would also love to meet some fellow M1ers as I will be bored until school starts. I'm pumped about finally being able to say I know I will be in Chicago (even though I've known it all along).

We found the apartment in the Hyde Park Herald. It's online: http://www.hpherald.com/

We'll be living in Hyde Park. I looked for a long time so feel free to PM me if you want more thoughts on housing. We'd be happy to catch you for coffee when you come to town for your housing search.

Just got the packet you were speaking of! It also got me really excited for chicago. Everyone there is so damn nice. Looking forward to starting this crazy journey with all of you.

hey all,
so i've been away from home for a couple weeks and i'll be going back in a couple weeks... i left before getting this packet that you're all talking about. i'm just wondering if there's anything super-time-sensitive in it - like, anything that would need to be sent back before july? (i did see the online forms on the o-week website.)

frycek said:
hey all,
so i've been away from home for a couple weeks and i'll be going back in a couple weeks... i left before getting this packet that you're all talking about. i'm just wondering if there's anything super-time-sensitive in it - like, anything that would need to be sent back before july? (i did see the online forms on the o-week website.)

All the forms that you need to fill out in the packet are online on the o-week website. So, you are all set. The only other things in the packet are brochures, maps, etc...

Hey everyone!

I too am going to UChicago, and Im happy to say i just found a place to live, on S Maryland about a block from the hospital. My landlady is looking to lease the 1st floor of our house as a 2bdrm apt (my roommates and i have the second floor) , so PM me if you want more details about where it is and everything. Cant wait to meet you all! Im in boston for the summer, but might be back and forth to chicago a couple of times to get familiar with it and start moving in :)

sportschick said:
I too am going to UChicago, and Im happy to say i just found a place to live, on S Maryland about a block from the hospital. Cant wait to meet you all! Im in boston for the summer, but might be back and forth to chicago a couple of times to get familiar with it and start moving in :)

Hey, we'll be neighbors! My husband and I just moved into the exact same block of S. Maryland.

Has anyone been able to get one? I wanted to fill out that summer address form on the orientation website but it says that I am not in the system to get the CNet ID. Thanks!

housemd said:
Has anyone been able to get one? I wanted to fill out that summer address form on the orientation website but it says that I am not in the system to get the CNet ID. Thanks!

Has anyone been able to access the roommate discussion board on the orientation website? It asks me for a username and password every time I click on that link. Hmm...

cozmopak said:
Has anyone been able to access the roommate discussion board on the orientation website? It asks me for a username and password every time I click on that link. Hmm...

I haven't been able to get in for the last couple of days, so it's not just you.

(Cozmopak, you finally got in!!!?? Congrats!)

maygirl said:
I haven't been able to get in for the last couple of days, so it's not just you.

(Cozmopak, you finally got in!!!?? Congrats!)

YES!!! :) :) :) I can't wait to meet you!

I was able to get a CNET id today.

ads99 said:

ads: really, it still says that i am not matched in the system. Did you call the admissions office?

ads99 said:

I guess I was able to get the id because I'm working at the UofC hospital for the summer.
Everyone should post on the new blog forum though. See the email the oweek chairs sent out today.