BlueGallll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for supplemental/interviews/acceptances for UAB since there isn't one yet! Has anyone received a supplemental complete email or an interview date yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was accepted last year in-state. Though I won't be attending, I remember there wasn't really anyone on SDN last year who could answer any questions about the process for UAB. So, if you have any questions about anything leading up to the point of acceptance, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer from what I remember! UAB was a great school and everyone there was always extremely nice. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
@Dr. Yap, I've read on other forums that if someone is to get an interview, the interview invite was given out a few days after the email for supplemental confirmation was given out, is that true? It just doesn't seem likely since the supplemental confirmation is exactly that, just a confirmation that they received the fee and the sup.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Dr. Yap, I've read on other forums that if someone is to get an interview, the interview invite was given out a few days after the email for supplemental confirmation was given out, is that true? It just doesn't seem likely since the supplemental confirmation is exactly that, just a confirmation that they received the fee and the sup.
Not true! Well, maybe it was true for some people last year, but I think those were the people that had everything submitted really early. After I mailed back my supplemental, it took a couple weeks for them to finally call and offer me an interview I think. I can't remember how long exactly, but it was definitely more than a few days after.

I called in today to ensure that they received my supplemental, since I grow weary of sending documents and money by standard mail. They happily checked for me and said they were just waiting on LOR processing. So just wanted to mention they don't necessarily send supplemental confirmation emails!

Does anybody know if they put a lot of weight on the supplemental? As an OOS, I feel like I half-assed it a little bit because I was trying to rush it out. :/

I called in today to ensure that they received my supplemental, since I grow weary of sending documents and money by standard mail. They happily checked for me and said they were just waiting on LOR processing. So just wanted to mention they don't necessarily send supplemental confirmation emails!

Does anybody know if they put a lot of weight on the supplemental? As an OOS, I feel like I half-assed it a little bit because I was trying to rush it out. :/
I think they kind of do, but in an interesting way. At my interview, I think mentioned something about how my supplemental took a while to get to me (I was living pretty far from Alabama at the time) and the dean told me they like doing a paper supplemental because they can kind of see your personality through your handwriting and the way you filled it out. Not sure if that helps you at all, but it's just what I remember haha

I think they kind of do, but in an interesting way. At my interview, I think mentioned something about how my supplemental took a while to get to me (I was living pretty far from Alabama at the time) and the dean told me they like doing a paper supplemental because they can kind of see your personality through your handwriting and the way you filled it out. Not sure if that helps you at all, but it's just what I remember haha
This was helpful, thank you!!! And crying, they literally just called me for an August 3rd interview!!! (Florida resident).

JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW FOR AUGUST 10 (was offered an August 3rd date as well but 10th worked better)!!! I received the supplemental and fee confirmation at 10am this morning and receive a phone call at 3pm today.
(Virginia resident)

@Dr. Yap would you be able to give us some insight into what the interview looked like? What questions they asked? How to best prepare? Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 users
JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW FOR AUGUST 10 (was offered an August 3rd date as well but 10th worked better)!!! I received the supplemental and fee confirmation at 10am this morning and receive a phone call at 3pm today.
(Virginia resident)

@Dr. Yap would you be able to give us some insight into what the interview looked like? What questions they asked? How to best prepare? Thanks!!
Congrats, y'all!!! You both must be so excited! :)
I can try to give a few tips based on what I remember. UAB was one of my favorite interview experiences. I think the interview starts around 10am on a Wednesday and there are like 8 people on each day. You start with a tour of the school, followed by a delicious lunch with students and Dr. Filler. After lunch, there is a short presentation about the school. Then, interviews are one by one. You can definitely catch a flight out of the Birmingham airport later that day if you don't want to spend the night, just tell UAB and they'll make sure you're one of the first interviews so you can leave in time. Anyway, the interview is you talking with the entire admissions committee, which seems intimidating, but everyone was extremely nice. It was very conversational. The only question I can specifically remember them asking is where else I applied. Sorry I can't think of any others, but again, it's conversational, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Oh, and make sure to bring a pen and some paper because they don't give you a folder with school information and stuff.
Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey @Meeza! Lemme know how your interview goes on Aug 3!! Best of luck :)

(Virginia resident)

I had an interview at UAB last year. People at UAB were super nice. There were 4 people interviewing . I can't lie it was my very first interview and I was a bit nervous but they really want to get to know you as a person and want to determine if you fit well with the class they are trying to create. Dr. Filler will try his best to make you and keep you comfortable. No trick questions, no 'why did score B or C in this class'. They told us that we were there because they already thought that we passed their academic requirements and that the interview was for them to know us personally. Good luck!

Sorry, I've been meaning to post about my application process! I received my interview invite two days after I got the email that they received my supplemental! My interview is on July 27 so I'll let you all know how everything goes! Good luck to those that have their interviews shortly after!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Dr. Yap Do you know if they will send out supplementals if everything on the application has been recieved except for the committee letter?

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who got an interview invite and best of luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back :)

I received "Your application has been received and is under review. Following the review of your application, it will be determined if additional information (including a supplemental application) will be forwarded to you" back in June 28th. How long after this email, the invitation to do the supplemental application was sent?

Thank you!

@Dr. Yap Do you know if they will send out supplementals if everything on the application has been recieved except for the committee letter?
I can tell you they do not. My committee letter didn't get uploaded until the middle of August and I got impatient around the end of July so I called them and, even though they send supplementals to all Alabama residents, they wouldn't send me one until my letter was in haha

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who got an interview invite and best of luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back :)

I received "Your application has been received and is under review. Following the review of your application, it will be determined if additional information (including a supplemental application) will be forwarded to you" back in June 28th. How long after this email, the invitation to do the supplemental application was sent?

Thank you!

It difficult to say, because I got mine almost immediately, like within the week. I spoke with some applicants at UF yesterday who had applications in by June who still haven't gotten the supplemental, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.o.o

It difficult to say, because I got mine almost immediately, like within the week. I spoke with some applicants at UF yesterday who had applications in by June who still haven't gotten the supplemental, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.o.o

Thanks for the information! I guess all I can do is to wait patiently and hope for one lol

For those that got interview invites, may I ask what your stats are?

For those that got interview invites, may I ask what your stats are?

Certainly :)
Residency: FL
App mailed: 6/24
LOR and supplemental in: by 7/15

OGPA: 3.63 (3.51 at old school and 3.82 at new school). Includes vocational credits.
BCP: 3.75
SGPA: 3.58

DAT (retaken in May): 21 AA, 21 TS, 18 PAT, 23 RC, 17 QR.
Old scores were 19/19/18/20/17.

Any connections: My sister in law works at UAB hospital pharmacy, which I mentioned on my supplemental in the reasons I love UAB.

Certainly :)
Residency: FL
App mailed: 6/24
LOR and supplemental in: by 7/15

OGPA: 3.63 (3.51 at old school and 3.82 at new school). Includes vocational credits.
BCP: 3.75
SGPA: 3.58

DAT (retaken in May): 21 AA, 21 TS, 18 PAT, 23 RC, 17 QR.
Old scores were 19/19/18/20/17.

Any connections: My sister in law works at UAB hospital pharmacy, which I mentioned on my supplemental in the reasons I love UAB.

Nice! Good luck! My Committee letter won't be in until mid August :/ I don't expect to hear from them until then. :(

Nice! Good luck! My Committee letter won't be in until mid August :/ I don't expect to hear from them until then. :(

That's okay! It's so early in the cycle. Quite frankly, I was shocked at how quick things went on their end, so I'm sure it won't hinder you too much. :)

Don't sweat it! Mine wasn't in until August 11 and my interview was in October I think. It's still really early and if they like you, your committee letter coming in August definitely won't hold them back from interviewing you :)

The supplemental is paper??? Do you get emailed that they sent the paper copy? I live in a sketchy area and don't totally trust my mail to not get stolen.

The supplemental is paper??? Do you get emailed that they sent the paper copy? I live in a sketchy area and don't totally trust my mail to not get stolen.
It's by mail. They didn't email me any copy.

New here but thought I'd add my info... AADSAS application mailed on 7/08. Supplemental received on 7/14 and mailed back on 7/23. Confirmation email received morning of 8/01 and phone call with the invitation was afternoon of 8/01. Scheduled the interview for 9/01. She asked for 8/24 but I will still be out of the country.

OOS - NC resident
oGPA - 3.33
sGPA - 3.18
DAT - AA/TS/PA/RC/QR 21/21/23/22/19

Hope this helps someone! I look forward to hearing about the interviews. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
I have an interview on 8/17.

Notification date: 7/25/2016
Method of notification: email
Residency: Alabama
ADSAS mail-out date: 6/24/16
GPA verified: 6/21/16
Application complete date: 6/10/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.87 Science 3.90 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21AA/21TS/21PAT/18RC/no section below 17

Anyone from UAB waiting for the committee letter to be uploaded? I've been waiting about a month now sigh.

Anyone from UAB waiting for the committee letter to be uploaded? I've been waiting about a month now sigh.
Yup, still waiting for my committee letter too. My application is complete and I submitted my supplemental and fee to UAB on 7/28. All I'm waiting on is for my committee letter to be submitted so all dental schools can review my app. The wait is arduous to say the least.

Ya it's paper. If you think it might have been stolen, you can always call UAB and ask if one has been mailed!

Yup, still waiting for my committee letter too. My application is complete and I submitted my supplemental and fee to UAB on 7/28. All I'm waiting on is for my committee letter to be submitted so all dental schools can review my app. The wait is arduous to say the least.
Don't stress about that! I know it's easier said than done, but my committee letter last year didn't come until like August 11 and it was totally fine. UAB has plenty of interviews to go around :)

Does everyone receive a supplement? I am OOS and I just received one in the mail so I was wondering what are the chances that I will get an interview?

Does everyone receive a supplement? I am OOS and I just received one in the mail so I was wondering what are the chances that I will get an interview?
Everyone from Alabama gets one, but not everyone from out of state does. Congrats! That's a really good sign. Chances for interview are probably great for you :)

Everyone applying that lives in the state of Alabama will receive a supplemental and then they selectively send out supplementals to OOS students based on GPA, DAT scores, EC's, LOR's, etc.. If you receive a supplemental OOS then I would assume that it's a good sign they're interested in you!

Anyone else interviewing 8/24?
I am. Looking forward to it. I live in Virginia and fly in to Birmingham that morning and back home that night- it will be a long day. Great info on here, so thank you all.

just decided to send my aadsas application to UAB as well since i am now interested in their dmd phd program.

Honestly, their interview day accelerated them to the to top of my list, so I think you made a great choice!

Thats sounds great! The UAB currently brings the biggest amount of research funding from nidcr. Glad to see that you are going to early interviews from all these schools!

Just interviewed yesterday, honestly was very relaxed and very fun. Make sure to get the carrot cake at lunch, it was amazing.

Does anyone know of UAB will interview on weekends? Or just weekdays?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really? What day? I know they said they do one a week so I was under the impression they were all on Wednesday's

Thurs, Sep 1. I'm OOS and originally was asked for 8/24 but I've abroad all summer and don't get back to the states til tomorrow and that was the second date they offered. It seems different because it's breakfast then a tour then the interview, so I'm not sure what to think. I will find out soon enough I guess!

Thurs, Sep 1. I'm OOS and originally was asked for 8/24 but I've abroad all summer and don't get back to the states til tomorrow and that was the second date they offered. It seems different because it's breakfast then a tour then the interview, so I'm not sure what to think. I will find out soon enough I guess!

Oh wow that is different because we had lunch, is yours still at 11?

OOS applicants,
How long did it take for you to receive a supplemental?

I applied like July 1st, got my supplemental last week

Was your AADSAS application actually mailed to UAB around July 1st, or was that when you e-submitted? Nearly 2 months of waiting seems like a long time. Just curious because my application mailed late August after being submitted sooner, but want to have an idea of time-frame. And I'm OOS