Hey guys, I am OOS and I submitted my AADSAS at the end of July. I received a supplement in the mail like in early August. I mailed in my supplement and I received an email confirmation from UAB saying they got my supplement a couple of days after I mailed it in. I haven't received anything else from them. It has been like 3 weeks now and I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am OOS and I submitted my AADSAS at the end of July. I received a supplement in the mail like in early August. I mailed in my supplement and I received an email confirmation from UAB saying they got my supplement a couple of days after I mailed it in. I haven't received anything else from them. It has been like 3 weeks now and I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Could you share your stat?

Three weeks actually isn't very long considering that you submitted at the same time as so many other applicants. Getting a supplement as an OOS is a really good sign. Nevertheless, Cindy is SO sweet and helpful, so if you give them a call I'm sure she would offer some insight. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Same with me...it's been a whole month lol

I am OOS and received my supplemental yesterday. I have a 3.6 gpa and a 21 AA with lots of ECs, shadowing, and research.

What are my realistic chances of an interview and acceptance?

I am OOS and received my supplemental yesterday. I have a 3.6 gpa and a 21 AA with lots of ECs, shadowing, and research.

An OOS getting a supplemental is great news. It means intent to interview, and they want to get to know you a little better. I think they processed mine within 2 weeks (early July though). I called to confirm my stuff was safely received by snail mail and Cyndi called me back the next day with an interview. The class size hovers around 60, so I'm not sure the chances of acceptance, but my stats are exactly the same as yours.

Summary:
Chances of interview = great
Chances of acceptance = not sure, but probably good as long as you have the personality they are looking for and get your supplemental in ASAP

An OOS getting a supplemental is great news. It means intent to interview, and they want to get to know you a little better. I think they processed mine within 2 weeks (early July though). I called to confirm my stuff was safely received by snail mail and Cyndi called me back the next day with an interview. The class size hovers around 60, so I'm not sure the chances of acceptance, but my stats are exactly the same as yours.

Summary:
Chances of interview = great
Chances of acceptance = not sure, but probably good as long as you have the personality they are looking for and get your supplemental in ASAP
Awesome, thank you for taking the time to reply. How did you feel after the interview? From what I've read, it seems to be pretty relaxed.

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to reply. How did you feel after the interview? From what I've read, it seems to be pretty relaxed.

No problem!! It was the only interview of three that I didn't leave beating myself up over how I could have answers questions better. SO relaxed. Make sure you know how to describe yourself and what you like to do outside of dentistry. :)
They also do their best to get you in and out so you can get home in a reasonable amount of time, but it never feels rushed. I really appreciated that.

No problem!! It was the only interview of three that I didn't leave beating myself up over how I could have answers questions better. SO relaxed. Make sure you know how to describe yourself and what you like to do outside of dentistry. :)
They also do their best to get you in and out so you can get home in a reasonable amount of time, but it never feels rushed. I really appreciated that.
That's really great to hear. These truly are stressful times, so that is rather reassuring. Thanks again, and best of luck to you!

DAT: AA 21/ PAT 21 TS 21
GPA/sGPA: 3.60/3.57
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours of volunteering
Shadowing: Over 400 hours General dentist/Oral Surgeon/Endodontist/Orthodontist/Prosthodontist

Why am i not gettin interview?!?!?!!?!!?! OOS

Hey congrats on getting the supplemental back, that's great. My application was received a short while back and is currently being reviewed. Do you remember when UAB began to review your app and how long it took from that point to when you received the supplemental? A few weeks, shorter, longer? Hoping to get a better understanding of time frames. Thanks in advance for your help and congrats again!

Shadowing: Over 400 hours General dentist/Oral Surgeon/Endodontist/Orthodontist/Prosthodontist

When did you submit your app and have you received a supplemental via mail?

Last edited:

OOS for UAB is super competitive. They have at the max 20 seats for OOS students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey congrats on getting the supplemental back, that's great. My application was received a short while back and is currently being reviewed. Do you remember when UAB began to review your app and how long it took from that point to when you received the supplemental? A few weeks, shorter, longer? Hoping to get a better understanding of time frames. Thanks in advance for your help and congrats again!
Hey, no problem. I was put "received/under review" on 8/31 and my supplemental was postmarked on 9/15, so roughly two weeks. Good luck!

When did you submit?

When did you submit your app and have you received a supplemental via mail?
4fc7cc5a48.png

Ah, well my application was under review on June 22nd which explains why everything moved so quickly for me. I would have expected you to receive a supplemental by now though, seeing as we have the same exact stats with me having a lower PAT.
I will say that the school is very holistic so if LORs and personal statement aren't strong, it **might** make some difference.

Their class size is also only 60 and they favor IS, so if you don't get an interview (or get a late one) it probably has less to do with you and more to do with the fact that they can only interview so many OOS. :/ I'm not an expert obviously, but I try to remind myself that schools get an absurd number of applicants.

Hey, no problem. I was put "received/under review" on 8/31 and my supplemental was postmarked on 9/15, so roughly two weeks. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I was thinking my stats were competitive, but now I'm unsure:

DAT: AA 21/ PAT 26
GPA/sGPA: 3.76/3.70

Shadowing and Volunteer were average, but still in the triple digits. I am afraid that must be holding me back. I'll just give it some more time, I wouldn't say it's late in the year yet.

Those who have completed the supplemental, how did you answer this: Please state if there is anything of particular importance that the admissions committee should know about you. Also, for the extracurricular section did you relist the AADSAS stuff or what? I'm hoping to mail this out soon. Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I was thinking my stats were competitive, but now I'm unsure:

DAT: AA 21/ PAT 26
GPA/sGPA: 3.76/3.70

Shadowing and Volunteer were average, but still in the triple digits. I am afraid that must be holding me back. I'll just give it some more time, I wouldn't say it's late in the year yet.
I'm very surprised that you haven't received a supplemental. When did you submit?

I'm very surprised that you haven't received a supplemental. When did you submit?

I submitted to AADSAS in early August and it was mailed to UAB and placed "under review" near the very end of August. I can't recall the exact date

I submitted to AADSAS in early August and it was mailed to UAB and placed "under review" near the very end of August. I can't recall the exact date

I'm not sure if this is correct but I've heard that OOS needs (unless applied really early) 3.7+GPA and 23~24 AA to get a supplemental.

I'm not sure if this is correct but I've heard that OOS needs (unless applied really early) 3.7+GPA and 23~24 AA to get a supplemental.
I applied at the end of August with a 3.64/21 AA and got a supplemental this past weekend.

I had around a 3.6 and a 22AA and got an interview, but I would say the stats you posted are about the line give or take .1 / 1 score on the DAT

I had around a 3.6 and a 22AA and got an interview, but I would say the stats you posted are about the line give or take .1 / 1 score on the DAT

I'm hoping to be on the better side of that line then! Would you mind giving some advice on my supplemental question posted above?

Yeah I know UAB is a great program so you're probably right that OOS applicants need really good scores to shine. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.

Those who have completed the supplemental, how did you answer this: Please state if there is anything of particular importance that the admissions committee should know about you. Also, for the extracurricular section did you relist the AADSAS stuff or what? I'm hoping to mail this out soon. Thanks!

I just said something about how much I would like the opportunity to interview at UAB as well as be a dentist in general. And yes I relisted and tried to add more.

In-state applicant, just got the call for an interview for Oct 18 today!! =)
I'm so thankful because I didn't have everything submitted until end of September so if you're a late applicant like I was, have HOPE!!! <3
This school is my top choice because I would like to stay in my home state and practice/uplift a community here!!

In-state applicant, just got the call for an interview for Oct 18 today!! =)
I'm so thankful because I didn't have everything submitted until end of September so if you're a late applicant like I was, have HOPE!!! <3
This school is my top choice because I would like to stay in my home state and practice/uplift a community here!!
Would you mind sharing your stats? I graduated from undergrad at UAB in April and I am currently doing a one year Masters in Biomedical Health Sciences here at UAB. I submitted back in July but my committee letter wasn't finished until the beginning of September (because they take forever). I'm hoping for an interview soon too!!

Would you mind sharing your stats? I graduated from undergrad at UAB in April and I am currently doing a one year Masters in Biomedical Health Sciences here at UAB. I submitted back in July but my committee letter wasn't finished until the beginning of September (because they take forever). I'm hoping for an interview soon too!!

3.69 overall GPA/3.59 BCP GPA/3.61 Science/4.00 Non-Science
DAT 19 AA, 18 PAT, 23 RCT, no score below 17
2010 B.S. molec bio graduate, would be potential returning student at 29-30 yrs old
current field of employment: cardiovascular pharmacology research assistant

I never planned on dentistry as a career in school, people and circumstances were placed into my life that led me to choose this as what I hope will be a successful and fulfilling profession,
given the right program/education and lots and lots of hard work. I realized in doing research on cardiovascular disease that I would like to be a part of the "front lines" what have you with
encouraging people in my home state to WANT to take care of their oral health as a way to help prevent the serious diseases we do research on. So sappy ugh I know, my heart strings got tugged on. =)
heart strings - ha, hahaha, ha see what I did there :rolleyes:

Mailing my supplemental materials tomorrow. How long does it usually take for UAB to send out interview invitation once the supplemental is sent? I know it's not guaranteed but I was just curious. :)

Got a call from them today! Yay so excited!! :clap::claps::banana:

I've heard they got a ton of applications this year and they're pretty backed up. I do undergrad there and a lot of my friends here still haven't heard either
Thanks for the info. I am keeping my expectations in check since I am out of state, but an interview invitation would definitely be a pleasant surprise!

Thanks for the info. I am keeping my expectations in check since I am out of state, but an interview invitation would definitely be a pleasant surprise!
I feel you. That's how I am with all of my out of state choices. The waiting game is tough

Hi guys, I have my interview next Wednesday and am incredibly nervous! For all those who already had their interviews, could you give a girl some advice in terms of what questions they asked?

Hey all,

Unfortunately I am OOS.

Received/ Under Review on 8/30/16. Sent in my supplemental in October. What do you guys think?

Any chance I'll get interviewed?
23 AA/ 24 TS/ 20 PAT
3.81 oGPA/ 3.67 sGPA
Top state school grad
1 year research + poster presentation
200+ hrs shadowing
200+ hours volunteering (clinical, dental, teaching)
Study abroad/ almost bilingual
Non-science major
4 LORS
Solid personal statement

Hey all,

Unfortunately I am OOS.

Received/ Under Review on 8/30/16. Sent in my supplemental in October. What do you guys think?

23 AA/ 24 TS/ 20 PAT
3.81 oGPA/ 3.67 sGPA
Top state school grad
200+ hrs shadowing
Non-science major
4 LORS
Solid personal statement

Being honest probably too late but I'm rooting for you!

Hey all,

Unfortunately I am OOS.

23 AA/ 24 TS/ 20 PAT
3.81 oGPA/ 3.67 sGPA
Top state school grad
200+ hrs shadowing
Non-science major
4 LORS
Solid personal statement

Dr. Filler said they will be interviewing through January so you might still have a chance! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I couldn't sleep last night. I can't imagine how I will be tonight! :sick: So nervous!
The stress is going to kill me. It's funny how everyone waits for this big day, but in most cases, people won't hear back. It doesn't hurt to hope.

Reactions: 2 users
my palms are so sweaty!!! and it's only not even 9 am hahaha :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! Go Blazers!!!