***Official UMDNJ-Biomedical Sciences Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nassawadox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start this thread. I got accepted, but still haven't decided if I'll matriculate or not. Feel free to leave comments/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know which med school courses are best?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know which med school courses are best?

I think the selection of what medical school courses they offer varies with the campus and year. Off the top of my head, at the Newark campus in the past year or so they had Molecular and Genetic Medicine (MGM), Physiology, and Histology (physio and histo are both parts of Integrated Structure and Function). Previously I think they also offered (maybe they still do?) Immunology.

They are all going to be hard work that require a lot of time and effort. And Dr. Ingoglia will tell you as such, possibly more than once.

I am not sure what you mean by "best". They are all great courses, you will learn a lot, and you have the opportunity to show the med school admissions boards you are capable of taking med school level work. Personally I liked MGM the most. Physio, while still very valuable, is considered to be harder, and you do have to keep your GPA in mind.

Hello,
I am planning to apply to the thesis MS in bio-med at UMDNJ. I am graduating this spring with an undergrad gpa of 3.3 as a neurosci major. I haven't taken the GREs yet, so I suppose this will put me in the 2010 pool. I contacted the admissions dept twice, but the women who answered weren't helpful. They seemed to say yes to every question I had, without thinking. I know a few people have suggested contacting program faculty directly (Dr. Ingoglia is a name I have run across). I know most of my questions would have to be answered by the school. Having said that, here are a few questions I was hoping to get a lead on:

- Is the admissions schedule a rolling one? (Would I be able to start in Spring 2010?)
- Can I really contact a person in the department (the aforementioned Ingoglia or the like) simply to get information? Will they talk to me as a prospective student?
- Are the grad classes at night and the med classes during the day?
- Do I need anything besides this to apply: BS degree, 70 hours internship in a hospital ER, 6 months clinical research experience, 4 years work experience in pharma, recommendation letters? I still need to study for and take the GRE.

Any answer at all would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I met with the current/interim dean of admissions today with regard to the MS in biomed sci. If anyone has questions, I might be able to answer them.

Does anyone know if the application is online or do u need to fill out the paper copy? Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Biochem06

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to SDN, but I've been reading posts for quite a while now. I'm a senior, bioology/pre-med, however, have been unsuccessful this year in applying to osteopathic medical schools. I'm now applying to UMDNJ's biomedical sciences program, but am scared at the outcome.

I have received a "application complete" email, though haven't gotten a letter yet in the mail. The secretary there said the next evaluation will be in a "few weeks". Just wanted to know, what are the stats of accepted applicants so I know what are my chances.

Here are mine:
Cumulative GPA: 3.3 (Science 3.0 and GE 3.7)
2 years undergraduate research experience
6 months shadowing exp.
over 1000+ hours volunteer services (hospital, school and church)
graduate in UMDNJ's Mini-Med school (twice)
1st generation college student
BAD MCATS!!!:(

Please help... anyone. And if anyone has questions on applying to the UMDNJ, been there done it, so just ask. Also like in Newark, so know the area very well.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to SDN, but I've been reading posts for quite a while now. I'm a senior, bioology/pre-med, however, have been unsuccessful this year in applying to osteopathic medical schools. I'm now applying to UMDNJ's biomedical sciences program, but am scared at the outcome.

I have received a "application complete" email, though haven't gotten a letter yet in the mail. The secretary there said the next evaluation will be in a "few weeks". Just wanted to know, what are the stats of accepted applicants so I know what are my chances.

Here are mine:
Cumulative GPA: 3.3 (Science 3.0 and GE 3.7)
2 years undergraduate research experience
6 months shadowing exp.
over 1000+ hours volunteer services (hospital, school and church)
graduate in UMDNJ's Mini-Med school (twice)
1st generation college student
BAD MCATS!!!:(

Please help... anyone. And if anyone has questions on applying to the UMDNJ, been there done it, so just ask. Also like in Newark, so know the area very well.

I meant to say I LIVE in Newark....

i also got into UMDNJ and also Barry university which one would be better to go to. i feel like no one knows who Barry is and at least UMDNJ has a dental school (im pre dent) this is my first post thnx

michaeld- how funny i got into both too, lol .

yea did you apply to barry's 1 year program? thats what i got into. i wasn't sure if umdnj's program was 1 year or not, does anyone know? i was gonna try and call them tomorrow to find out..