**** Official UNC Acceptance Thread c/o 2014 ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncdentist711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in! Received the call a little after 3 o'clock! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Call from Dr. Morano! 4:20pm....BOW BOW! Money talks....

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Who called you? Scholarship? Trying to see if there's a pattern as I'm nervously waiting. :bang:

ETA: Killer scores, btw.

Thanks! Terri Barker from the registrar's office. No scholarship that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

Good work fellies. Anyone interview on Nov. 21 and hear back?

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has heard. Really strange that if 40 calls were made, only 5 are on SDN! My friend who's also pre-dental said new dean might mean they're doing things a little differently this year....

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has heard. Really strange that if 40 calls were made, only 5 are on SDN! My friend who's also pre-dental said new dean might mean they're doing things a little differently this year....

A new dean hasn't been selected yet, we still have dean Williams till the summer, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Congrats to everyone that got in. I look forward to seeing you all again in the Fall.

I just finished paying my five hundred dollar deposit and sending in my provision sheet. I am setting this thread up to meet future classmates.

Bumping this up for January acceptances, including myself. :D

I'm in shock because I convinced myself I didn't get in but I got the call yesterday and I'm accepted! I am so thrilled UNC was my 1st choice since October when I interviewed. I was crying all over this thread in December lol

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who were selected, welcome aboard.

For those who missed the cut, don't get your heads down. We have people in our class that applied 4 times to UNC. They kept trying, and now they're going to be dentists.

also accepted! could not be happier :love:

I am a 4 time applicant and I finally got in!!! Dont lose hope!

I am a 4 time applicant and I finally got in!!! Dont lose hope!

not to hijack this thread but what the heck did you do differently? i feel frustrated, hopeless, i have $30K in debt from this master program i'm doing which is fantastic preparation for dental school, and i'm doing very well in it. however i think it will be more helpful if i get in this upcoming fall. all that information will leave my brain if i dont get in this year. i need to find a freaking job now and pay off my debt, how the hell do i find the time to improve my application? my dat is fantastic, my grades are good, i'm in serious debt now. there is only so much shadowing a person can do.

If you dont mind me asking...what are your stats and how many times have you applied and are you instate or out of state? My application had not changed much over the four years to be honest...it did change but not much. My gpa stayed the same as did my gpa but I slowly added shadowing hours and volunteer work, though there is only so much you can do of that. I feel 100% sure in telling you that I feel the number one reason I got in is bc of networking. I am blessed to work right beside the dental school (heart disease research) so, with that said, it became very hard for them to ignore my presence after a while. Oh I forgot about my research papers. I have had a few publications with first authorships so that helped. Back to networking...I met with the dean of admissions on a number of occasions and each time he would tell me that I am a strong applicant and that my interviews went well. I usually didnt not get much out of him, but the main thing that came from those meetings was him seeing my face and my passion. Eventually i got so tired of this i met with him and really grilled him hard and I think it helped him realize my want for dentistry. Also, most people may not be so lucky but I emailed one of my interviewers and made contact with him a month or so after my interview..and i kept contact with him and would even swing by his office from time to time so he could better get to know me. It is this that I think got me in. I really believe that he got to know me and really liked who i was and didnt just see me as an applicant on paper but as a person. I told him that I needed someone on my side to fight for me and if he felt that I was deserving I needed him to be that person. I am not sure of your situation but I am positive this is what helped me get in. Im not saying nag the **** out of these guys but you have to find some way to make yourself stand out if you are a "normal" applicant....hope this helps!!

If you dont mind me asking...what are your stats and how many times have you applied and are you instate or out of state? My application had not changed much over the four years to be honest...it did change but not much. My gpa stayed the same as did my gpa but I slowly added shadowing hours and volunteer work, though there is only so much you can do of that. I feel 100% sure in telling you that I feel the number one reason I got in is bc of networking. I am blessed to work right beside the dental school (heart disease research) so, with that said, it became very hard for them to ignore my presence after a while. Oh I forgot about my research papers. I have had a few publications with first authorships so that helped. Back to networking...I met with the dean of admissions on a number of occasions and each time he would tell me that I am a strong applicant and that my interviews went well. I usually didnt not get much out of him, but the main thing that came from those meetings was him seeing my face and my passion. Eventually i got so tired of this i met with him and really grilled him hard and I think it helped him realize my want for dentistry. Also, most people may not be so lucky but I emailed one of my interviewers and made contact with him a month or so after my interview..and i kept contact with him and would even swing by his office from time to time so he could better get to know me. It is this that I think got me in. I really believe that he got to know me and really liked who i was and didnt just see me as an applicant on paper but as a person. I told him that I needed someone on my side to fight for me and if he felt that I was deserving I needed him to be that person. I am not sure of your situation but I am positive this is what helped me get in. Im not saying nag the **** out of these guys but you have to find some way to make yourself stand out if you are a "normal" applicant....hope this helps!!

Congrats on getting in. I have heard of such things about UNC before how "networking" can give you a huge advantage, not just numbers. It is evident that they like to take their own as well, UNC grads.

congrats everyone!

does anyone know when scholarship recipients are notified?

hey guys!

i was just wondering if anyone's tried to fill out the background check info yet...there's a section that asks for a 9 digit student ID, but i didn't see one in the acceptance packet. am i missing something??

also, for tuthlover and sarah and anyone else familiar with Chapel Hill, i'm wondering what are some good apartment complexes to check out. any suggestions??

oh wait...just found the ID number on the bright pink sheet of paper with bold letters that say "important number" :bang:

There are plenty of places to live around here. On your class's fb group has a few of my classmates that either need roommates or have places available. There is also housing info that I posted on there from our group. I recommend meeting some of your classmates this summer and maybe feeling out future roommates.

Finley Forrest is a great location, on the bus route, and are individually owned townhouse style condos that are for lease by owner.

My wife and I live a little further out than most of my classmates (exit 278), but that's because of her work. It's a great location if you're looking for halfway point between RTP, Cary, or Apex, and Chapel Hill.

The villages, university commons, meadowmont, mill creek aptmts, shadowood, the pointe at chapel hill, franklin woods, kingswoods, many more will show up with a search of apartments and chapel hill.

Hard to say which is best. I'd say make a trip one day and check each out. Maybe get a map and check the bus schedules/stops at the same time

I am personally looking at the villages .. last year UNC started a late nite safe ride program - a bus that makes trips to certain apartment complexes until from 10:15 pm - 2:30am on thur, fri, and sat nights. Ultra convenient DD to and from campus.

http://www.unc.edu/news/archives/sep03/saferide090303.html

We probably will not have as much time to party as we did in undergrad, but it is still nice for those nights.

Last edited: