**** Official University at Buffalo Acceptance Thread C/O 2014****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buzpuck11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We'll make this the official acceptance thread for the class of 2014 to the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine. Congrats all!

Once you decide to attend join the class of 2014 FB group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=192891217996

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone planning on definitely attending yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in too! :) Still making my decision between here, Nova, and VCU though...

Did you guys get your acceptance in the mail yet?

I got the acceptance package materials today too.

I received my acceptance on the 1st and I will be mailing in my deposit next week.

Got mine yesterday. Expect yours tomorrow or Saturday I would say.

And where is everyone else that has gotten accepted?

i got my letter on the first and mailed my deposit on friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone happen to remember what Buffalo said about paying for out-of-pocket expenses? It's over $8k the first year and I think I remember them saying we were SOL in finding that money on our own. Anyone remember?

does anyone happen to remember what Buffalo said about paying for out-of-pocket expenses? It's over $8k the first year and I think I remember them saying we were SOL in finding that money on our own. Anyone remember?

Oh crap we need 8k up front? Our grad plus or fafsa won't be able to take care of it?

Oh crap we need 8k up front? Our grad plus or fafsa won't be able to take care of it?

From what I remember at the interview, we need to pay this "out-of-pocket", just as the blue sheet in the acceptance packet states. I'm going to call them tommorrow to get clarification. If it is covered out of pocket, I'll have to ask them what most students do. I doubt I'm the only one that doesn't just have $8k 'lying around'. Its really aggravating to see that Im getting robbed on a lot of this equipment; such as a 2650 laptop and 560 articulator. I see articulators for far less and for 2650 you can get a pretty sick laptop, yet I'm willing to bet the one the school provides doesn't justify the cost. Oh well, can't beat UB's tuition so theres not much I can complain about in the big picture. :xf:

From what I remember at the interview, we need to pay this "out-of-pocket", just as the blue sheet in the acceptance packet states. I'm going to call them tommorrow to get clarification. If it is covered out of pocket, I'll have to ask them what most students do. I doubt I'm the only one that doesn't just have $8k 'lying around'. Its really aggravating to see that Im getting robbed on a lot of this equipment; such as a 2650 laptop and 560 articulator. I see articulators for far less and for 2650 you can get a pretty sick laptop, yet I'm willing to bet the one the school provides doesn't justify the cost. Oh well, can't beat UB's tuition so theres not much I can complain about in the big picture. :xf:

my friend is a first year there now and im pretty sure the laptop is a loaded macbook pro with apple care, but don't quote me on that.

It is $8,000 out of pocket that is expected to be paid during the first week of orientation. I also do not know where I will be coming up with this money. Perhaps a new credit card with no interest for a year, that I can slowly pay off with my loans. As far as the articulator, they say "We have arranged a special purchase price for the articulator that you are required to have for the start of fall semester through Whip-Mix Corporation-West. The special school price for the articulator and carrying case is $504.93 as opposed to the retail price of $777.20." So I guess this is somewhat of a deal? And as far as the laptop goes, you get a 15" Macbook Pro with extended 4 year warranty. Also comes with a printer and last year they got an ipod touch with it. Although it is expensive, they aren't charging too much more than just purchasing it from the Apple store.

It is $8,000 out of pocket that is expected to be paid during the first week of orientation. I also do not know where I will be coming up with this money. Perhaps a new credit card with no interest for a year, that I can slowly pay off with my loans. As far as the articulator, they say "We have arranged a special purchase price for the articulator that you are required to have for the start of fall semester through Whip-Mix Corporation-West. The special school price for the articulator and carrying case is $504.93 as opposed to the retail price of $777.20." So I guess this is somewhat of a deal? And as far as the laptop goes, you get a 15" Macbook Pro with extended 4 year warranty. Also comes with a printer and last year they got an ipod touch with it. Although it is expensive, they aren't charging too much more than just purchasing it from the Apple store.

an iPod touch? well, I'm glad to see the $8k is being spent wisely. :rolleyes: oh well, i guess getting a touch is a good consolation prize to not eating for a few months to save up the money

an iPod touch? well, I'm glad to see the $8k is being spent wisely. :rolleyes: oh well, i guess getting a touch is a good consolation prize to not eating for a few months to save up the money

Actually there are dental applications for the iTouch now. There are a few programs to help students study for dental classes, such as this one flashcard program for anatomy (I don't recall the name).

Anyhow, I'm a PC and I just can't imagine paying $2600 for a laptop...with $2600 my laptop better be doing my laundry for me, folded too. But if I do end up shelling out $2600 mind as well buy a Macbook. But I have heard from a student that they may be offering PC's for our class.

I really wish I could post "for real" in this thread later in the app cycle.

Buffalo put me on "Continuing Review". I don't think my app was that bad either: 3.5/3.5/22/22/22 with more than enough ECs and shadowing. It's one of my top 2 schools, so I was really crushed when they sent me that email. I'm really sad. :(

Buffalo put me on "Continuing Review". I don't think my app was that bad either: 3.5/3.5/22/22/22 with more than enough ECs and shadowing. It's one of my top 2 schools, so I was really crushed when they sent me that email. I'm really sad. :(

I'm sorry to hear about the news but at least you haven't received a flat out rejection. There is still hope for your case. Your stats are great but you're forgetting about the interview process. UB are putting more emphasis on the interview process this year so that may be one reason. Who knows really, but keep your head up, you never know.

I need to make that 8k fast >.<. It's not gonna help that I'm trying to buy a car for the move to the east coast as well. Are you guys going to look for private banks to get this extra cash.

I need to make that 8k fast >.<. It's not gonna help that I'm trying to buy a car for the move to the east coast as well. Are you guys going to look for private banks to get this extra cash.

It looks like I'm going to have to crash with the family and not go out for the next 7 months to save it up... yay! :-/

i dont think you have to pay 8k straight out of your pocket.. i am sure your loans will cover it?

Don't worry too much. I was place in continuing review and received a call a few weeks later to schedule an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that continuing review is just a part of UB's process...

That said, has anyone that had an interview after Dec. 1st been contacted yet? I'm dying over here!

i dont think you have to pay 8k straight out of your pocket.. i am sure your loans will cover it?

Yes. The most popular option is taking loans out for much more than needed to pay for tuition to cover the out-of-pocket expenses as well as support yourself (living/food/utilities, etc.)...The first semester of the first year is easily the most costly and the loans accepted from the school directly can always be revised for the amount you would actually need, even for the 2nd semester of the first year. I was confused about that too and those $$ freaked me out at first but it will get better and these MacBook Pro's are ridiculous computers/totally worth the money - All of our books for all 4 years are on a program permanently installed on our computers and the features that go along with that program are pretty amazing.

Good Luck with everyone's decisions.
(cough) Pick Buffalo!!!

Yes. The most popular option is taking loans out for much more than needed to pay for tuition to cover the out-of-pocket expenses as well as support yourself (living/food/utilities, etc.)...The first semester of the first year is easily the most costly and the loans accepted from the school directly can always be revised for the amount you would actually need, even for the 2nd semester of the first year. I was confused about that too and those $$ freaked me out at first but it will get better and these MacBook Pro's are ridiculous computers/totally worth the money - All of our books for all 4 years are on a program permanently installed on our computers and the features that go along with that program are pretty amazing.

Good Luck with everyone's decisions.
(cough) Pick Buffalo!!!

So you're saying I can take out extra money to cover the out-of-pocket expenses? If so, will the disbursement be soon enough to get the money in by UB's deadline (first week of orientation I think)?

So you're saying I can take out extra money to cover the out-of-pocket expenses? If so, will the disbursement be soon enough to get the money in by UB's deadline (first week of orientation I think)?

You can accept or decline as much or as little money as you want when you get your bill...I took the direct loans right from UB. Some other people take out grad plus loans to cover extra expenses but the refund/disbrusement covered everything I needed and the interest rate was low. If you call the financial aid office they can explain all of this to you (ask for Kevin Ryan). My disbursement was directly deposited (the best and fastest way) the first day of orientation and I'm pretty sure everyone elses did too. I put my computer and articulator on a credit card before orientation because our orders were due a couple weeks before, then paid it off as soon as I got my disbursement.

You can accept or decline as much or as little money as you want when you get your bill...I took the direct loans right from UB. Some other people take out grad plus loans to cover extra expenses but the refund/disbrusement covered everything I needed and the interest rate was low. If you call the financial aid office they can explain all of this to you (ask for Kevin Ryan). My disbursement was directly deposited (the best and fastest way) the first day of orientation and I'm pretty sure everyone elses did too. I put my computer and articulator on a credit card before orientation because our orders were due a couple weeks before, then paid it off as soon as I got my disbursement.

hey carl, you staying in buffalo for break, or are you coming home for part of it?

hey carl, you staying in buffalo for break, or are you coming home for part of it?

Home now brother til Jan 3rd. Got home today. Had my biochem final yesterday...the day after our gross anatomy final. Got a solid 45 minutes of sleep Tuesday night (5-5:45am) so I stayed until today sleeping for about 14 hours yesterday haha. Good news though, no more biochem and gross until I study again for the boards. I'll give you a call soon.

yeh dont worry about the 8000 out of pocket bc you will get your money in time to pay most of that off, your money usually gets disbursed w/in the frst few days of orientation if you direct deposit and thats when most of the bills are charged.. the only 2 things you need to put on CC beforehand are the articulator and macbook which would be ~3100 but they wouldnt charge those till your in possession of them.. it definitely wouldnt hurt to pull out extra cash though, at least for your first year so you have some breathing room since you'll be in a new atmosphere

I completely forgot to post on this thread! Accepted about a month ago :cool:

I got accepted through the 3+4 program with Geneseo! My acceptance letter is being mailed out.

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in! I am currently a fourth year at UBSDM so I'm on my way out! One of the big reasons I chose UB was the cost, and the cost of living. After I got accepted I found out that if you are from out-of-state and you buy a house you can actually get in-state tuition from day one (which ended up saving me $15,000). I ended up buying a duplex, and I have had other dental students as tenants the whole time I have been here - which has really helped with the mortgage payment. Also, I installed a dental lab in the basement of my house which has been a life saver throughout dental school. The house has two two-bedroom units, and is in a safe quiet neighborhood less then four miles from school. Currently my house is for sale so if any of you are interested, shoot me a message and I can tell you more about it. Again congratulations on your acceptance!

Hey guys,

I'm a med student at UB and I'm moving downtown for my clinical rotations. I have an amazing 2 bedroom condo about 2 minutes from UB south and my landlord wants to keep a professional student in it. I have a washer/dryer in unit and a garage. I used my second bedroom as an office although the condo is def. big enough for 2 people. If you are looking in the area and are interested I can send pictures your way just let me know. Congrats on your acceptance.