***Official University of Iowa Class of 2019 Thread***

Hi All! Will someone be starting a facebook site for our class? I know there is one from last year. Might be nice to connect names with faces. :)
Yes please! we need a Facebook page! with at least some students in the group that are currently attending Iowa! im having a very hard time deciding between schools and it would be nice to ask some current students questions to help me make my decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes please! we need a Facebook page! with at least some students in the group that are currently attending Iowa! im having a very hard time deciding between schools and it would be nice to ask some current students questions to help me make my decisions.

Hi Kcebab! I think you and I sat next to each other at our interview! Congrats on your acceptance. I will work on starting a Facebook page. I can also connect you with at least one person I know who's a D1. I will message you my personal email.

In order to create a Facebook page, I need to be able to invite someone. If interested, could someone PM me, and then I can start the page? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Kcebab! I think you and I sat next to each other at our interview! Congrats on your acceptance. I will work on starting a Facebook page. I can also connect you with at least one person I know who's a D1. I will message you my personal email.
YES! That's me! I will go ahead and email you! Thanks

So I contacted the school and they said that the committee meets again in December and in January for pre Dec interviewees but I wasnt given an exact timeline. Has anyone heard anything else from them? Fortunately I did get an acceptance elsewhere otherwise Id be crying from waiting so long.

They invite out of state students more aggressively. It isn't uncommon for Iowa to invite in-state students all the way into February, including pre-December interviews.

Does anyone know when scholarships get sent out?

Does anyone know when scholarships get sent out?
Yes seriously! I am OOS, and I have been told scholarships get sent along with the paper acceptance letter in the mail? but mine just came in today and did not have any information containing scholarship info... Maybe I'll call Elaine tomorrow and ask.

They invite out of state students more aggressively. It isn't uncommon for Iowa to invite in-state students all the way into February, including pre-December interviews.

What do you mean by more aggressively?

Do they interview fewer because they are considered serious candidates once selected? Or do you mean that they interview a lot of OOS students?

I mean that they try to fill their out of state seats as quickly as possible. There are fewer spots for the OOS candidates and there's greater competition between Iowa and other schools. There is less competition for the in state students because few people reject the offer if they are in state (it's a good school, and often a cheaper option than an alternative). Obviously Iowa wants to fill the class, but based on information from previous years, the in state invites are scanty on December 1st and trickle in slowly over the following months up until February.

Last edited:
I mean that they try to fill their out of state seats as quickly as possible. There are fewer spots for the OOS candidates and there's greater competition between Iowa and other schools. There is less competition for the in state students because few people reject the offer if they are in state (it's a good school, and often a cheaper option than an alternative). Obviously Iowa wants to fill the class, but based on information from previous years, the in state invites are scanty on December 1st and trickle in slowly over the following months up until February.

Oh, okay :(
Thank you for clarifying it for me though, I appreciate it. I'm hoping I still have a chance, I interviewed back in October and been pretty anxious about it ever since.

Oh, okay :(
Thank you for clarifying it for me though, I appreciate it. I'm hoping I still have a chance, I interviewed back in October and been pretty anxious about it ever since.

If that's what's stressing you, then I wouldn't worry too much at this point. 2/3rds of the invites for in-state candidates were not sent out December 1st. I would expect more waves in late December or mid January. Iowa isn't as communicative during this process as some other schools, which can be unnerving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students out there who can comment on textbooks? How much did you actually spend your first year? Do they actually help, or is the material covered during lectures more than enough to succeed on exams?

Are there any current students out there who can comment on textbooks? How much did you actually spend your first year? Do they actually help, or is the material covered during lectures more than enough to succeed on exams?
Don't buy any of them. The only one I would recommend buying is the drug book, we haven't used in yet in our first semester but its obviously something that will be useful when you start taking health histories.

You are given a book at the beginning of Dental Anatomy which is charged to your account and you have the option to buy a book for operative during class. Occlusion has required readings, but we were able to find the PDFs online with no issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Status change to "Offer Made" this morning on AADSAS!!

Anyone know how long it takes to update their portal so I can accept?

ACCEPTED!! And I got the merit scholarship! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Scream.gif

My portal just changed to Offer Made...........AHHHHHHHHHHH

ACCEPTED!!!!!! I am beyond relieved and ecstatic! Hello future classmates!

Accepted as well! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall :)

Did anyone submit their background check thing from Certiphi yet? Just got a reminder e-mail but I need to wait a few more days for my paycheck to come in.

Did anyone submit their background check thing from Certiphi yet? Just got a reminder e-mail but I need to wait a few more days for my paycheck to come in.
I did mine, only took like 12hrs to complete and costed much less than the $150 maximum

My portal just changed to Offer Made...........AHHHHHHHHHHH

ThetaMoen, I saw that you interviewed at Louisville, I want to ask you about it but it won't let me message you so please message me! I have an upcoming interview but I loved Iowa so much I don't know if I should go.

Hey @CleverThought, what is the specific color name of the blue scrubs that we will wear? Just curious because my hometown city has a big scrub sale every year in January and I wanted to get a head start on my scrub collection! Also, are there any specific guidelines we need to follow with the scrub style? Thanks!

I think in the interview she said we might be navy blue. Don't quote me on that though

Sorry! Yes ceil blue! However, you may also wear black scrubs with the Iowa Hawkeye on them

Are they provided or are we in charge of getting them ourselves? Any recommendations? Thanks!

You have to buy them yourselves. I bought mine from A1 Uniforms on the Coralville Strip (Bring your student ID or dental acceptance letter for a student discount), but plenty of people bought theres online too. I would also recommend All Heart (allheart.com) for scrubs, they usually run good sales. You can definitely buy the ceil blue scrubs anywhere, but I would recommend sticking to A1 for the Hawkeye scrubs.

As far as brands, I've found Cherokee and Grey's Anatomy scrubs to be my two favorite brands, they are the most comfortable. You can get some cheap ones from Walmart, which might be good for prosthodontics lab, you do get messy in that!

Anyone know if Iowa offers any student discounts for laptops/tablets?

For those that have been accepted, did you guys do the AADSAS ADEA academic update? Do we need to?

Does anyone know if we're going to get a packet of info or anything? I'm a bit anxious to know when I need to move/when orientation is. Thanks!

Does anyone know if we're going to get a packet of info or anything? I'm a bit anxious to know when I need to move/when orientation is. Thanks!
The schedule for the year is on ICON orientation starts the 18th of august I believe

I have an interview at Iowa in two weeks! Since you guys have already applied here and I'm sure most of you received interviews, do you have any advice??? Much appreciated!!!

I have an interview at Iowa in two weeks! Since you guys have already applied here and I'm sure most of you received interviews, do you have any advice??? Much appreciated!!!

First of all, congratulations! Getting interview invites is like the most exciting thing during this time of year. I remember how nervous I was, etc. My advice to you is going to sound cliche, but be yourself and be honest. Don't be anyone you're not. With that being said, if this years interviews will be anything like last years, then they will take you down for one interview with two faculty members. They ask you pre written questions that get a better sense of your thought process and what kind of person you are. They time this interview too (actually the shortest interview I went on), they put like 20 min on a timer so keep your answers concise and don't run too deep into tangents. If they have further interest in your answers, they will ask you follow up questions. There are some helpful interview prep sources on SDN that maybe someone else can help you navigate to. I didn't prep for interviews and just remembered to be myself because thats why we are all getting interviewed. Stay calm, relaxed, keep your head high, and feel like a boss and own it! Confidence in yourself goes a long way. Other than that, I can't help you with specific questions they asked, that was a year ago lol I don't remember but just know the basics. i.e. why you want to be a dentist? why UI? tell me about yourself? I believe its a closed file interview for UI but still know your app. Etc. you'll be fine

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, congratulations! Getting interview invites is like the most exciting thing during this time of year. I remember how nervous I was, etc. My advice to you is going to sound cliche, but be yourself and be honest. Don't be anyone you're not. With that being said, if this years interviews will be anything like last years, then they will take you down for one interview with two faculty members. They ask you pre written questions that get a better sense of your thought process and what kind of person you are. They time this interview too (actually the shortest interview I went on), they put like 20 min on a timer so keep your answers concise and don't run too deep into tangents. If they have further interest in your answers, they will ask you follow up questions. There are some helpful interview prep sources on SDN that maybe someone else can help you navigate to. I didn't prep for interviews and just remembered to be myself because thats why we are all getting interviewed. Stay calm, relaxed, keep your head high, and feel like a boss and own it! Confidence in yourself goes a long way. Other than that, I can't help you with specific questions they asked, that was a year ago lol I don't remember but just know the basics. i.e. why you want to be a dentist? why UI? tell me about yourself? I believe its a closed file interview for UI but still know your app. Etc. you'll be fine
thank you so much!!!