***Official University of Iowa Class of 2019 Thread***

CleverThought

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming D1 here, best of luck in the application cycle! Iowa is definitely a good school to look into!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information

Class Profile

910 Applicants (120 residents, 790 nonresidents)
80 Enrollment (57 IS, 23 OOS)
Average GPA 3.75
Average sGPA 3.70
DAT Averages: 20AA/20 PAT

http://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/sites/default/files/docs/2013 profile.pdf

Program Highlights
  • Only dental program to have every specialty in house
  • You don't have to find/schedule your own patients
  • You start in the clinic your D1 year
  • Iowa's third year is much different from that of other schools. It is a year of clinical rotations from one specialty to another in all dental specialties. These in-depth studies occur in concentrated five-week periods.
  • There is an international exchange program where during D4 you would have the opportunity to go study in England, Denmark, India, The Netherlands, and much more.If you don't want to go abroad, you have the opportunity to go to various locations in the US or in the state of Iowa) (http://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/education-extramurals)
  • The dental clinics are undergoing a $60 million renovation and expansion

63429_360308917422773_19322119_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! I'll be applying here, it's my #1 too so I appreciate any luck I can get!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely sending the good luck vibes your way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Iowa! It's definitely in my top 3!

Reactions: 2 users
Applied here too. I have heard positive things about this program

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite received today! 7/2/2014 at 8:30 a.m. via e-mail, OOS. I'm trying to log onto their website to complete the secondary app and schedule the interview, but my log-in info does not seem to be working... is anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

Interview invite received today! 7/2/2014 at 8:30 a.m. via e-mail, OOS. I'm trying to log onto their website to complete the secondary app and schedule the interview, but my log-in info does not seem to be working... is anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

If you continue to have the issue, don't hesitate to give Elaine a call! She's very nice and helpful!

Congratulations! What are your stats, if I may ask?

I also got an interview invite this morning! Super stoked. I'm an Iowa resident, and I would go there in a heart beat if I got accepted! I'm having the same issues with log-in info. Elaine told me it should've been fixed by now, but I'm assuming they're still having some minor glitches. Should be good to go by tomorrow.

Congratulations! What are your stats, if I may ask?

Sure, DAT AA:24, TS:23, oGPA and sGPA ~3.9

I also got an interview invite this morning! Super stoked. I'm an Iowa resident, and I would go there in a heart beat if I got accepted! I'm having the same issues with log-in info. Elaine told me it should've been fixed by now, but I'm assuming they're still having some minor glitches. Should be good to go by tomorrow.

@cbeck4 are you able to log-on to Iowa's website?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what dates are you guys interviewing?

Hope I can see y'all around!

Afternoon on September 24th!

I'll be around! Anyone can feel free to hit me up and if I have room in my schedule I'd be more than happy to sit down and chat or go grab a slice of pizza downtown.

Reactions: 1 users
What essays? I do not see any on the supplemental application. I am in-state.

LOL...yeah I saw that after I hit the submit button. :)

Just received an invite this morning! Couldn't be happier. Heard great things about Iowa.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an invitation for an interview as well!!:D

I'm so excited!

U6fy9b1.gif

Last edited:
Congrats! When's the interview?
Still need to sort through the dates and check them against my schedule. I have always found it helpful when others post their info on stats so in case anyone is interested here are mine:

OOS: OH
oGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC) - 23/24/22/19

I'll be around! Anyone can feel free to hit me up and if I have room in my schedule I'd be more than happy to sit down and chat or go grab a slice of pizza downtown.
I just had lunch with CleverThought today! She's super nice and chatting with her alleviated a lot of my anxiety about the application process. I definitely recommend getting in touch with her if you have any questions about Iowa and/or are nervous about anything; she’s a great help.

Just got an interview! OOS here. I still have to wait to get into the portal but I'm super happy to be chosen!

Just booked my interview for October 17th!

CleverThought, if you are out of state, which hotel and airline did you use? Did you book a taxi to campus or is there a bus route? I wanna book soon but I have no idea which hotel to go for :confused:

Just booked my interview for October 17th!

CleverThought, if you are out of state, which hotel and airline did you use? Did you book a taxi to campus or is there a bus route? I wanna book soon but I have no idea which hotel to go for :confused:

I am IS, so I didn't have to fly in or book a hotel. Definitely fly in to the Cedar Rapids airport, but as far as hotel it depends how much you want to spend. Getting a hotel in downtown would be nice because then you could see the true atmosphere of Iowa City and explore the downtown area. But if you are wanting to be more budget conscious, I would recommend staying at a hotel in Coralville (namely the Coralville Holiday Inn - as I have stayed there before and it is nice).

There is a bus route that does to the Dental Science Building, but once again - if you stay in Coralville as opposed to Iowa City, the bus may not pick up there. I would recommend a taxi.

Would you guys mind sharing your stats? I am planning on applying here this cycle. Thanks!

I am IS, so I didn't have to fly in or book a hotel. Definitely fly in to the Cedar Rapids airport, but as far as hotel it depends how much you want to spend. Getting a hotel in downtown would be nice because then you could see the true atmosphere of Iowa City and explore the downtown area. But if you are wanting to be more budget conscious, I would recommend staying at a hotel in Coralville (namely the Coralville Holiday Inn - as I have stayed there before and it is nice).

There is a bus route that does to the Dental Science Building, but once again - if you stay in Coralville as opposed to Iowa City, the bus may not pick up there. I would recommend a taxi.

Thank you for your response! I have another question, are the interviews done at the time they say they are? I have to fly home the day of the interview. I want to book the flight at 430 and the email said I would be done by 130. Am I cutting too close?

Thank you for your response! I have another question, are the interviews done at the time they say they are? I have to fly home the day of the interview. I want to book the flight at 430 and the email said I would be done by 130. Am I cutting too close?
Yes the times are pretty accurate! You should have more than enough time. I assume you will be using the Cedar Rapids airport, which is about half and hour or so from Iowa City.

Is there a place to store luggage at the university?

I would email Elaine on that one, I'm sure she could arrange for the luggage to be stored securely during the interview.

Anyone who interviews in October get any other info after scheduling after finishing the supplemental application?

I have an interview on the 24th! I'm super excited !!

Anyone had an interview already? If so, how did it go?

Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing today! I just saw a bunch of well dressed, smiling faces in the hall!

Me too! are you flying in the day of or the day before?

I also had to push mine back to October because I found out I have 3 exams that week (1 the day before, 2 the day of). Also I'm in-state so no flying in for me. Good luck though, be sure to tell us all how it goes!

Did anyone get an email with any further instructions for the day of the interview? Such as where to go specifically and check in, etc? Thanks!

Did anyone get an email with any further instructions for the day of the interview? Such as where to go specifically and check in, etc? Thanks!

You'll go into the main entrance. So when you are in front of the dental school you will see a ramp that goes into almost a skywalk looking thing. Go up that ramp and the check in for interviews should be there!

building_front.jpg

eta: this image - this is the door you will go in!

I also had to push mine back to October because I found out I have 3 exams that week (1 the day before, 2 the day of). Also I'm in-state so no flying in for me. Good luck though, be sure to tell us all how it goes!
thanks!!! same to you :)

CleverThought: Thanks! :)

If anybody on here is interviewing this Thursday and wants an interview buddy feel free to PM me!

Ahh Jophiel, missed you by one week!

I know this is a long shot but this is the first time I'm flying out on my own in a city I've never been and I'm a bit nervous to say the least. If there's anyone interviewing this Friday (Oct 17) and would like to split a cab with me to the airport (Cedar Rapids), please PM me. Heck, I'd even pay a fellow dental student $30 to take me to the airport.

CleverThought and Jophiel, any last minute interview advice for a nervous soul like me?

CleverThought and Jophiel, any last minute interview advice for a nervous soul like me?

It's probably cheesy to say "be yourself", but it's so true! Also review the interview feedback on SDN, the questions are pretty true to the real deal.

What day and time do you interview? I'd be happy to meet up with you before or after if I have the room in my schedule!