Official University of Vermont (UVM) Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadHopsMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suprised no one else has started this! So...who else will be joining me at beautiful vermont?

P.S I have facebook if you want to add me!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully me...:) Sorry i'm not official...i think we hear this week. heard the committee met last night.

in UVM's COM class of 2011! I can't wait, the school is wonderful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there.
Whew...so glad this part is over.
Now the real work begins!

Hey, has anyone being accepted after being put on the OOS waitlist yet? Is it common to get off the WL before really late in this cycle?

Very quiet on SDN for a class of 100.

I was accepted on Friday and I'll be heading to UVM come July!

So as a total newb to SDN, I started a duplicate UVM 2011 thread in the pre-allo forums. But they removed that, so here I am! Woot woot, got accepted this weekend. Hey, I was wondering if anyone wanted to provide some general info about themselves. I did this in my previous thread, but anyway, I'll start:

When interviewed: Late Feb
When accepted: April 15th
Other acceptances or wait-list (which were obviously not up to par with beautiful UVM): SUNY Buffalo, Albany Med
Where from: Irvine, CA
Where undergrad: UCLA (go Bruins!)
Favorite Movie: Forrest Gump
Going to "Closer Look" on May 4th: Yes

Feel free to add anything else. By the way, anybody know where they're living in Burlington? I'm looking for a two bedroom place and an apt mate. Does anyone recommend the graduate student apartments (they're five miles from campus :()?

holy, I dont even remember creating this. lol. It's been a long time. As for renting and stuff, quest212, I sent you a PM.

Anyways, this is my info:

When interviewed: early Sept
When accepted: late oct
Where else accepted or wait-listed: Does it matter? UVM all the way
Where from: Canada
Where undergrad: U of Toronto
Favorite movie: Any movie staring Scarlet Johanson, the movie doesnt even have to be good
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: ....most likely

When interviewed: Dec 7
When accepted: Dec 19
Where else accepted or wait-listed: only applied to UVM
Where from: Vermont
Where undergrad: Middlebury
Favorite movie: right now... Little Miss Sunshine
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: yes

Hope to meet some of you guys in May... or August!

By the way, anybody know where they're living in Burlington? I'm looking for a two bedroom place and an apt mate. Does anyone recommend the graduate student apartments (they're five miles from campus :()?
I'm curious about the graduate student apartments as well.

I'm an older married guy, so one big appeal for the apartments for me is the community so that my wife might feel more involved in the experience. But the distance is a drag, with the bus running only every half hour and stopping at 9:30pm. I'm wondering how we'd get by with one car if she commutes.

Just got accepted to UVM today off the OOS waitlist and I'm really torn between UVM and UMass...here's my info:

When interviewed: March 6
When accepted: April 25
Where else accepted or wait-listed: accepted UMass, waitlisted Pitt, Rochester, UConn, Dartmouth
Where from: Massachusetts
Where undergrad: Middlebury (good to see another 'MiddKid' eeynihs - what year did you graduate?)
Favorite movie: Hmm, not sure...I don't think I have just one favorite
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: Most likely

Congrats, soccergl31! Welcome.

I realized I did not post my info, so hear goes:

When interviewed: March 8
When accepted: April 13
Where else accepted or wait-listed: accepted UIC, waitlisted UCSF, MCW
Where from: California
Where undergrad: UC Santa Cruz
Favorite movie: Godfaddah
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: Nope. Too expensive a flight for a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
cool. psyched to meet everyone on friday

When interviewed: February 27
When accepted: April 1
Where else accepted or wait-listed: waitlist Dartmouth
Where from: VERMONT
Where undergrad: UVM
Favorite movie: recent fav is Green St Hooligans
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: Yes

hey guys, i'm on the WL.

just wondering if you can get IS tuition after 1st year

thanks!

When I interviewed there, I remembered them saying that it's pretty much impossible to acquire residency status in Vermont. Anyone want to confirm that?

Yep, that was my impression as well. They were pretty adamant -- even if you marry a VT resident, buy property, etc. Once you enroll as OOS, you can't change it.

As for me:
When interviewed: 2/22
When accepted: 4/14
Where else accepted or wait-listed: deciding between Brown, Case, and UVM
Where from: Minnesota
Where undergrad: Yale
Favorite movie: Salaam Bombay
Going to "Closer Look Day" on May 4th?: Yes. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Who should the check (the 100 dollar deposit) be made payable to?

I made mine payable to UVM.

Anyone receive financial aid packages yet? Just wondering if mine got held up due to verification.

Anyone receive financial aid packages yet? Just wondering if mine got held up due to verification.
Yeah, I received mine about a week ago. I know that they don't start to make one until your check is received for deposit.

Also, one of their key financial aid people (Shelley, I believe, who gave the speech to a bunch of us) just left, so they may be a bit delayed.

So what did you all think about Closer Look Day? I liked UVM way more than I expected -- which I'm bummed about because my easy decision just got really hard!!!

I was really impressed with the COMET system. It was much more comprehensive than I imagined when they talked about the curriculum all online. To have the tutorials on reading x-rays, etc. with all the images on your computer -- and interactive! -- it's a really great resource.

I also thought the standardized patients were awesome and knowledgeable.

I wish we'd had more of a chance to hang out with current/future students. I'm still trying to make a decision, and I wanted to get more of a sense of who people were.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Closer Look Day as well. Some of the workshops were very informative, although a few I think they could have done without. It was also nice to spend some time in Burlington and realize what a beautiful and friendly town it truly is. I'm psyched about the VIC and the COMET and standardized patients and the rotation in Portland, Maine and the ER rotation anywhere in the country. I'm kinda glad I don't have to make anymore decisions: UVM all the way.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Closer Look Day as well. Some of the workshops were very informative, although a few I think they could have done without. It was also nice to spend some time in Burlington and realize what a beautiful and friendly town it truly is. I'm psyched about the VIC and the COMET and standardized patients and the rotation in Portland, Maine and the ER rotation anywhere in the country. I'm kinda glad I don't have to make anymore decisions: UVM all the way.

I totally agree with your comments. I too really loved the VIC and COMET system. I also loved the fact that basic science is only 1.5 years instead of the traditional 2 years. Also liked that since we become MS4 early that means we should perform well compared to the rest of the students when we "audition" at other institutions. The only drawback would be that I wish I saw more diversity amongst the people in Burlington, however, everyone was "freakishly" nice over there. I drove around all of Burlington and surrounding area without a single car "honk", and then I came down to Montreal, where I was "honked" what seamed like everytime :(. Plus while stoping at places and looking at the map, there were so many people that came up to me to offer their help. This never has happened to me...ever!

And I agree with you Reverend Doc, there should have been some kinda of social party after the event. It would have been awesome to meet more of the students from the incoming class and current class. The people I met there were certainly really cool. Hope you decide to come, but I feel for you...your choices are tough.

So, I've made it official and dropped my other acceptance - I'll be going to UVM in August! It was great getting to meet some of you at Closer Look Day, and I look forward to seeing the rest of you at orientation! :)

The only drawback would be that I wish I saw more diversity amongst the people in Burlington, however, everyone was "freakishly" nice over there.
The very white patient body thing was the one sticking point for me with Vermont, particularly as my other school acceptance (UIC) had a good bit of patient diversity. But this is what away rotations are for, right? And I fell in love with everything else about the place (remind of that come winter).

I dropped my UIC acceptance today and am heading to Burlington. If anyone has a truck full of empty heading from California to Vermont come July, please let me know.

So, I've made it official and dropped my other acceptance - I'll be going to UVM in August! It was great getting to meet some of you at Closer Look Day, and I look forward to seeing the rest of you at orientation! :)
Congrats, Soccergrl. Must feel like a weight off knowing where you'll be for four years, no?

MAY 15th is HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, HOW I HOPES FOR WL LOVIN'!!! :hardy:

WISH US WLers some LUCK! :luck:

Universitas Viridis Montis here I come!! I just can't stop saying, "Guess what? I got into UVM?" :D I think my roommates are getting annoyed. LOL. I'm so excited. I just got in today so I missed the closer look but I'm thinking of coming up on Monday to look around some more. Anybody in town yet?

Universitas Viridis Montis here I come!! I just can't stop saying, "Guess what? I got into UVM?" :D I think my roommates are getting annoyed. LOL. I'm so excited. I just got in today so I missed the closer look but I'm thinking of coming up on Monday to look around some more. Anybody in town yet?
Congrats, Bazile. Meet you in the summer!

hey everyone, looks like ill be rescinding my acceptance to UIC and join you all at UVM in August! I checked my email today and found out the good news.

does anyone know of nice places to live around the school? are there any housing websites for prospective students? thanks for the help and congrats to everyone!!

Hi!
I am a member of the class of 2011. I am beginning to get very excited for August and I thought I would finally post something on SDN. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about housing. I obtained the housing list from admissions; I was surprised to find very few people looking for room mates. If anyone has thoughts/comments/suggestions about where to look or is interested in finding a room mate please let me know. Also, I made a facebook group for our class....UVM COM Class of 2011 so we can start getting to know each other and put names with faces. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer before schools starts.

ntvu did u get off the waitlist?

Hey all, I'll be in Burlington in August as well. Look forward to meeting everyone. Cheers!

hey everyone, looks like ill be rescinding my acceptance to UIC and join you all at UVM in August! I checked my email today and found out the good news.

does anyone know of nice places to live around the school? are there any housing websites for prospective students? thanks for the help and congrats to everyone!!

Congrats on the acceptance. I am a member of the class of 2010 and I used this website: http://reslife.uvm.edu/ to find housing. I am married and like living at the County Apartments at Fort Ethan Allen. A lot of my classmates live downtown next to the school.

Where undergrad: Middlebury (good to see another 'MiddKid' eeynihs - what year did you graduate?)

Graduated in 2003.

Closer Look Day was fun and very informative. Glad I was able to meet some of you, though I still have no idea who you guys are, in person vs. on SDN. Funny how that happens...

Anyway, look forward to having classes and such with all of you in August!

Hi everyone! I'm a third year med student at UVM. I've been living in a 4 bedroom house with other medical students, but all of them have left me to do rotations in Maine.

So if you're still looking for a place, leave me a message and I'll give you a walkthrough of the house. Briefly, it's a 4 bedroom house with 2 bathroom/baths, washer/dryer, and some utilities divided 4 ways. The house is plenty big for 4 people and is close to campus which is great especially during the winter months.

Good luck with first year! It'll be a blast.