Official University of Virginia 2010!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come one...come all

Members don't see this ad.

BaylorGuy said:
Come one...come all

Hey BaylorGuy,
I think you'll love it here. Congrats on getting in and best of luck. I'll be a M3 when you start so I won't see you around much, but hey, come shadowing on the wards to break up the studying doldrums now and then.

mayo

As much as it will boil my blood on Saturday, I am a Wahoo. Accepted into the Class of 2010. First acceptance letter and first choice medical school. Anyone got any recommendations for apartments?

EdenscVT

Members don't see this ad :)
EdensVT said:
As much as it will boil my blood on Saturday, I am a Wahoo. Accepted into the Class of 2010. First acceptance letter and first choice medical school. Anyone got any recommendations for apartments?

EdenscVT

I may be joining you both, but...um, how is wahoo relevant to UVA? :confused:

Beats the heck out of me...it must be one of their calls. Kind of like how Texas A&M does "Whoop!"

Where is nbjmed when you need her?

It's a sport fish - an adopted second mascot if you will.

Adam

BaylorGuy said:
Beats the heck out of me...it must be one of their calls. Kind of like how Texas A&M does "Whoop!"

Where is nbjmed when you need her?

Hey there,
Even though our mascots are Cavaliers we have nicknamed them the Wahoos and "hoos" for short. So here goes, "Hoos your daddy?" " How bout them hoo's?"

Wa-ho-whah!!

njbmd :D

I'm trying to figure out where to live next year when I start at the SOM. My boyfriend/fiancee-to-be will be in Richmond, and we're looking to shorten the commute for him as much as possible while keeping me close enough to school to spare my sanity...

Can anyone help with the following questions?

-Is there anywhere to live between Cville and Richmond?

-How essential is it that I live within a short distance ( :confused: 20 minutes) of the campus?

I'm going for sure next year! I'm so pumped.

Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend?

erythropoietin said:
I'm going for sure next year! I'm so pumped.

Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend?

Yes there is one, I think it's in late March

I think it is the April 1st weekend. I was up there last week and had a great time just walking around on my own. Make sure you hop on the free trolley, it has stops at the medschool, aquatic fitness center/Scott Stadium, and goes downtown as well. The AFC (gym) is unbelievable (especially if you did not go to a large state university for undergrad). Traffic was pretty miserable for such a small town, but most everyhting will be within walking distance (or on the trolley). It was a two hour drive to DC, and I think Richmond is right at an hour. I was very impressed!

I got in last year and deferred a year; there's definitely a second look weekend. You guys will probably get materials about it soon. I didn't go last year, but the UVA admissions rep at our career fair told me that they're trying to make it more impressive / exciting (to complete with schools like Vandy, whose 2nd looks are legendary).

LizAlf82 said:
I got in last year and deferred a year; there's definitely a second look weekend. You guys will probably get materials about it soon. I didn't go last year, but the UVA admissions rep at our career fair told me that they're trying to make it more impressive / exciting (to complete with schools like Vandy, whose 2nd looks are legendary).
woohoo!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify-

We don't have to give a deposit or anything by May 15 do we? I just figured I would get some mail by May telling me what the next steps are...I've just sent in that tiny slip with my signature.

ladyVA said:
Just to clarify-

We don't have to give a deposit or anything by May 15 do we? I just figured I would get some mail by May telling me what the next steps are...I've just sent in that tiny slip with my signature.

UVA doesn't require a deposit, only the filled in form, transcripts, and BLS/CPR Certification.

aamartin81 said:
I think it is the April 1st weekend. I was up there last week and had a great time just walking around on my own. Make sure you hop on the free trolley, it has stops at the medschool, aquatic fitness center/Scott Stadium, and goes downtown as well. The AFC (gym) is unbelievable (especially if you did not go to a large state university for undergrad). Traffic was pretty miserable for such a small town, but most everyhting will be within walking distance (or on the trolley). It was a two hour drive to DC, and I think Richmond is right at an hour. I was very impressed!

LizAlf82 said:

Hey, does anyone know exactly what we'll be doing at the UVA second-look weekend? The email I got mentioned "opportunities to interact with faculty and current medical students, as well as learn more about the curriculum and student life in general" but what exactly does that mean? Is this "learning" about student life done party-style or lecture style? If anyone remembers UVA's second-look weekend from last year, that'd be helpful. OSU has their second-look on the same weekend, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to go to. Thx

Just got in 3 weeks ago and I'm pumped about heading back to UVA for med school!!!

LizAlf, in an attempt to answer your question about living between C-ville and Richmond: you're not going to find much out there. It's pretty much small towns and farms in between. The largest towns I can think of are Gum Spring and Palmyra, so you may want to check those out. Otherwise, live in C-ville and make the guy do all the driving :)

funshine said:
I may be joining you both, but...um, how is wahoo relevant to UVA? :confused:

A Wahoo is a fish that drinks twice its weight everyday...

Just thought I'd say hi. It's very likely I'll be at U.Va this fall. See you there!

Hey there,

Did anyone go to UVA's revisit day? I couldn't make it, so just wondering what I missed, and any second impressions you got from the school. Hope you all had a great time :)

Did they tell you anything about when fin. aid letters will be mailed out?

uva peeps, represent!!!
or are y'all too drunk from partying last night? Did I miss something big?

funshine said:
Hey there,

Did anyone go to UVA's revisit day? I couldn't make it, so just wondering what I missed, and any second impressions you got from the school. Hope you all had a great time :)

Did they tell you anything about when fin. aid letters will be mailed out?

I think that as long as you got your app in by the "priority deadline" of April 1, you're supposed to get your aid letter by May 1. Don't hesitate to call the office, though -- they're all incredibly nice. I've already called them about cars, apartments, monthly budgets, and they're always more than happy to help.

I didn't end up making it down for the 2nd look this past weekend, but I hope everyone who went had an enjoyable time!

PM me if you've got any questions about Charlottesville--I was there for undergrad.

Anyone having any problems deciding between UVA and another school??

RIght now i'm torn between UVA and UTMB. I mean UTMB is a better school, but the money at UTMB is too right for me to want to leave Texas and pay OOS tuition at UVA. I really really wanna go, but i'm just hoping UVA and the Fed will help me out. ANyone else??

Hey guys,

Could any current students here answer some questions about housing?

I'm currently thinking about getting an apartment in Eagle's Landing, Sterling University Place, or Woodard Properties. I think they're all within walking distance or have a shuttle that take you to the med school. However, I just saw multiple bad reviews of Sterling...apparently it's under poor management and is likely to become decrepit pretty quickly?
Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

apartmentratings.com said:
"I lived here for 2 years-- in fact, i used to work maintenance when it opened. Sterling (now college park) WAS a nice place when it first opened-- however, everything was CHEAP (paint blemishes on the standard furniture was covered up using a black sharpie...).

I don't anticipate this place to stay together for very long. And in about a year or so i have a feeling it'll be crawling with roaches and/or mice (the area it was built on used to be a big field, and 3 out of 4 sides of the apartment are directly bordered by a forest, stream, and man-made lake. Thin walls. Economy toilet. And i somehow managed to break two "unbreakable" electric socket covers. Slow internet behind a local firewall (which goes down occasionally). And no matter how hard they try, they still cant seem to get the shuttle system right...

On the positive side-- plety of parking spaces. The big screen tv option. Hottub (if its clean). And the best otis spunkmeyer cookies ever. And plenty of barbecues in the spring.

My advise-- it'll be fine for a few more years-- but afterwards be careful."

funshine said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking about getting an apartment in Eagle's Landing, Sterling University Place, or Woodard Properties. I think they're all within walking distance or have a shuttle that take you to the med school. However, I just saw multiple bad reviews of Sterling...apparently it's under poor management and is likely to become decrepit pretty quickly?
Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

Hey future classmate! I went to second look and the second year that I talked to had lived in Eagle's Landing during her first year. Although she liked it, she said it was a little further away from campus than the majority of apartments and there was only a bus that came every half hour. Most of the med students that I talked to stressed the importance of being within walking distance, so if thats an important factor for you, I wouldn't recommend Eagle's Landing. I don't know anything about the other properties, but the Woodard properties all look nice! Hope that helps!

funshine said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking about getting an apartment in Eagle's Landing, Thanks!

I'm a 4th year at UVa (undergrad) and have lived at Eagle's Landing for 2 years now. The apartments are reasonably priced, and pretty nice compared to most of what's in the JPA area. The downside is it is pretty far away (as far as UVa housing goes). It's about a 1.5 mile bike ride/walk (pretty serious hills for an everyday commute, unless you want a serious workout before class) or about 3 miles driving (you make 3 right turns getting there and pass under I-64 twice). The area is pretty quiet. I've only used the shuttle a few times because I have purchased a parking pass, but the most readily available that makes any sense is at the Stadium (lot E3), takes me 8 minutes to drive there and it's a 15 minute walk from there to the medical center. The permit costs around $300/year. Shuttle works fine so long as you use it during normal hours and can wait a bit (only goes every 30 minutes).

If there's anything else anyone wants to know about UVa that a u-grad could answer don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Edit: Long story short I'm betting Eagle's Landing is far enough away you'd feel pretty isolated from your med school class. I'd look for something closer even if it means paying more/living in a place that isn't as nice.

funshine said:
Hey guys,

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

I've actually been living/working in cville since august. Walking distance is a must and Eagle's Landing is a hike. I'm actually signing the lease today on an apartment owned by woodard properties. They own three complexes within 5 min of the hospital and they're all pretty nice. Last time I was in there I saw an ad for a house on 9th st NW (I think???) that is so close to the hospital you could spit on it from the roof. I would have grabbed it but the lease starts in August and I need a place for June.

Another good location is anywhere on Wertland St.

Good luck and I'll see you all in August.

ThatGuy12 said:
I've actually been living/working in cville since august. Walking distance is a must and Eagle's Landing is a hike. I'm actually signing the lease today on an apartment owned by woodard properties. They own three complexes within 5 min of the hospital and they're all pretty nice. Last time I was in there I saw an ad for a house on 9th st NW (I think???) that is so close to the hospital you could spit on it from the roof. I would have grabbed it but the lease starts in August and I need a place for June.

Another good location is anywhere on Wertland St.

Good luck and I'll see you all in August.

Yeah, I saw some of the properties when I was there. John St. Place looked pretty sweet--I think you live with 2 or 3 other roommates, but each of you has his own private suite. The only downside is you can't officially move in until August 18th, which would be a problem. The loft suites at Graduate Court were pretty nice too...For me, it's a close call between those and Carrollton Terrace, which I think is also close by.

funshine said:
Yeah, I saw some of the properties when I was there. John St. Place looked pretty sweet--I think you live with 2 or 3 other roommates, but each of you has his own private suite. The only downside is you can't officially move in until August 18th, which would be a problem. The loft suites at Graduate Court were pretty nice too...For me, it's a close call between those and Carrollton Terrace, which I think is also close by.

Better get on that quick...when I called grad court they told me they were "going fast"...of course that could be total bull...

Has anyone heard about financial aid yet?

I talked to my finaid advisor today and he told me that they were sending out packets in tomorrow's mail...also told me my specifics over the phone. Good luck all!

I'm looking for a roomate. I've already committed to an apartment (4-bedroom/ 4-bathroom) with two other guys (one is another incoming 1st year med student, the other is a young professional who will be working all the time). The apartment is Located in 13th Street Place and managed by Woodard Properties. This is LESS THAN A 5-MIN WALK FROM THE HOSPITAL! Each room has a loft and huge window. The apartment is on the top floor of the complex and on the corner of the building so its isolated with respect to noise. Rent is $580/month with everything (gas,electric,internet,PARKING) except cable (prob around $600/month with cable). Gender is not an issue. I'll even throw in a TV for the living room. The lease starts in June. I'm working in Charlottesville until the end of may and would be happy to meet with anyone who happens to be in the area and set up an appointment to view the apartment. Give me a call (603)-867-5381. Look forward to meeting you all!

-Jim

ThatGuy12 said:
I'm looking for a roomate. I've already committed to an apartment (4-bedroom/ 4-bathroom) with two other guys (one is another incoming 1st year med student, the other is a young professional who will be working all the time). The apartment is Located in 13th Street Place and managed by Woodard Properties. This is LESS THAN A 5-MIN WALK FROM THE HOSPITAL! Each room has a loft and huge window. The apartment is on the top floor of the complex and on the corner of the building so its isolated with respect to noise. Rent is $580/month with everything (gas,electric,internet,PARKING) except cable (prob around $600/month with cable). Gender is not an issue. I'll even throw in a TV for the living room. The lease starts in June. I'm working in Charlottesville until the end of may and would be happy to meet with anyone who happens to be in the area and set up an appointment to view the apartment. Give me a call (603)-867-5381. Look forward to meeting you all!

-Jim

I live in Oregon, and am in a little predicament. I am on hold at OHSU, and they won't release 100% of their acceptances, and their waitlist rankings until May 15th. Then, if I am on the waitlist, it could be until June/July before I know if I am staying here in Portland, or moving to Charlottesville to go to U.Va. Is it going to be difficult to find a decent 2bdrm apartment (I want to live with my fiancee) for less than $900 that is within walking distance to the school if I have to wait until mid-summer to start looking? Can you hold an apartment without signing a lease and just a deposit? I'm a little worried that I might get screwed on a place to live if I am in the middle of the OHSU waitlist and end up not getting in there. Any information or suggestions from people who know Charlottesville or have been through similar situations would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all fellow possible wahoos - i got my fin. aid. packet in the mail today from UVa and it is glorious! (probably moreso because i have come to expect nothing other than loans)

i'm headed down to Foxfields this weekend, which by all accounts is a wicked party, just to make sure charlottesville, uva and i click - but I really think my decision has pretty much already been made

good luck to those of you waiting to hear about your $$

rascalking said:
Hi all fellow possible wahoos - i got my fin. aid. packet in the mail today from UVa and it is glorious! (probably moreso because i have come to expect nothing other than loans)

i'm headed down to Foxfields this weekend, which by all accounts is a wicked party, just to make sure charlottesville, uva and i click - but I really think my decision has pretty much already been made

good luck to those of you waiting to hear about your $$

Not a very active thread. So I am trying to get an apartment in Charlottesville. Looks like I'm WAY too late for anything really nice. Anyone know anything about Cambridge Square? I'm looking at renting a 2bdrm townhouse there...

Dr. Weebs said:
Not a very active thread. So I am trying to get an apartment in Charlottesville. Looks like I'm WAY too late for anything really nice. Anyone know anything about Cambridge Square? I'm looking at renting a 2bdrm townhouse there...

Sorry I can't help, but you might want to post housing questions here on UVA's own msg board. They're pretty good about answering questions. err, I sure hope you're not too late for anything nice, b/c I'm planning to wait till after May 15th before I sign anything...there better still be stuff available :eek:

Does anyone know if UVA has a prematriculation program? When does it start? I tried looking up old emails I've received from UVA, but can't find anything relevant.

I'm still struggling to decide between UVA and Pitt...my gut says UVA, but Pitt is much closer, it makes transportation/moving in sooo much easier.

Dr. Weebs said:

I still have a room available in my apartment. The lease starts in the beginning of June so I'd loveto get it filled by then. Check out my earlier post for the details.

Anybody still not get their financial aid package yet??? Whats the deal?

I just got something from UVa about first year needs etc. It said I would need a car 1st year! Is this really true? I was planning on selling my car since I would be living in a town of less than 50k people and living a mile or so from the school... Anyone with info on this?

BaylorGuy said:
Anybody still not get their financial aid package yet??? Whats the deal?

I got it 2 weeks ago...have you called the admissions office? Maybe they haven't received some of your forms. I'm only saying this because I had an awful experience today: I called one of my other schools to ask why I never received a fin aid packet, they informed me that they never received my parents' tax returns, and that it was too late to give me an estimate for the May 15th deadline!! I could've sworn I sent them in, so I don't know what happened. Anyway, definitely call to see what's up.

funshine said:
I got it 2 weeks ago...have you called the admissions office? Maybe they haven't received some of your forms. I'm only saying this because I had an awful experience today: I called one of my other schools to ask why I never received a fin aid packet, they informed me that they never received my parents' tax returns, and that it was too late to give me an estimate for the May 15th deadline!! I could've sworn I sent them in, so I don't know what happened. Anyway, definitely call to see what's up.

Grrrr, sounds like something they would wind up doing...i'll give them a call tomorrow...hopefully they will be able to give me my info over the phone

Dr. Weebs said:
I just got something from UVa about first year needs etc. It said I would need a car 1st year! Is this really true? I was planning on selling my car since I would be living in a town of less than 50k people and living a mile or so from the school... Anyone with info on this?

Ahh, Dr. Weebs: we meet again. From what I gather, UVA requires its students to have cars primarily for 3rd and 4th year away rotations. I think that most students spend approximately half of 3rd year away from Charlottesville (in Salem, Fairfax, etc.), hence the car requirement. I can tell you from undergrad experience that a car is really useful for getting to and from grocery stores, the downtown mall, etc. Charlottesville probably isn't as small as you'd think.

As long as you live with someone else who has a car to share during the first two years, it wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I would suggest keeping what you've got...

Reactions: 1 user
funshine said:

I was in the exact situation with Pitt! I was shocked to hear that they were still waiting for info when I called them in late April. Parent's tax forms aren't mentioned anywhere on the Pitt app, and they never called / emailed to request them. WTF? Now I don't have a fin aid packet to compare with UVA.

Uvault05 said:
Ahh, Dr. Weebs: we meet again. From what I gather, UVA requires its students to have cars primarily for 3rd and 4th year away rotations. I think that most students spend approximately half of 3rd year away from Charlottesville (in Salem, Fairfax, etc.), hence the car requirement. I can tell you from undergrad experience that a car is really useful for getting to and from grocery stores, the downtown mall, etc. Charlottesville probably isn't as small as you'd think.

As long as you live with someone else who has a car to share during the first two years, it wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I would suggest keeping what you've got...

It's official: I'm going to UVa! My state school's loss is now UVa's problem, hehe. I'm excited to be going to such a great school, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I'd like to hear more about the people on this board who are going to be attending. Might be funny at Orientation... "Hey, who's Dr. Weebs?", hehe.

UVault - Thanks for the tip. I think I'll just keep my car and eat the costs. I noticed that UVa has intramural ultimate frisbee in the fall. We should get a med. student team together or something. It would be a lot of fun!

One other thing. Not sure if anyone on this board can help with this, but I am curious about the job market at the medical center. My fiancee is coming with me, and she has about 3yrs of experience in clinics/hospitals scheduling patients, doing admin assistant work for managers/directors, and has a double bachelor's in psych/communications. I'm coming from a pretty decent-sized metropolitan area (Portland, OR - 2 million people) where jobs for qualifications like that are easy to find. Being that Charlottesville is less than 50k in population, I'm a bit concerned about the job market being saturated. I guess I'm fishing for anything positive I can get to try to ease my lady's worries.

Sorry to spoil on everyone's party, but i withdrew today. I would have liked to have gone, but the offer was too good elsewhere to pass up. Goodluck all

Dr. Weebs said:
It's official: I'm going to UVa! My state school's loss is now UVa's problem, hehe. I'm excited to be going to such a great school, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I'd like to hear more about the people on this board who are going to be attending. Might be funny at Orientation... "Hey, who's Dr. Weebs?", hehe.

I'm official now! I've been waiting so long for the application process to be over...

I'd like to hear more about all you fellow Wahoos too. I guess I'll start things off: I'm an Ohio native, and an Ohio State graduate (GO BUCKS!). This year I have been serving with AmeriCorps in a community health center in Fort Collins, CO. The mountains are sweet, and it's sunny every single day, but I can't wait to get back east!

I acquired a love for hiking, backpacking, and backcountry camping so I'll be looking for opportunities to get away on free weekends. Anybody know if UVA has a mountaineering student organization?

troyer45 said:
I'm official now! I've been waiting so long for the application process to be over...

I'd like to hear more about all you fellow Wahoos too. I guess I'll start things off: I'm an Ohio native, and an Ohio State graduate (GO BUCKS!). This year I have been serving with AmeriCorps in a community health center in Fort Collins, CO. The mountains are sweet, and it's sunny every single day, but I can't wait to get back east!

I acquired a love for hiking, backpacking, and backcountry camping so I'll be looking for opportunities to get away on free weekends. Anybody know if UVA has a mountaineering student organization?

There is an outdoor rec center type of organization that organizes all sorts of outdoor activities:

http://www.virginia.edu/ims/outdoor/index.html

They're good resources if you want to try something new like rock climbing or kayaking. If you just want to get out and play in the woods for a day and/or weekend UVA is in a pretty sweet location. The Shanendoah (sp?) National Park is only 30 min away and its beautiful. Not quite the rockies but there are some pretty decent views and if you knwo where to go you can hike all day and not see a single person. The park is famous for waterfalls too.

Hope that helps

troyer45 said:

Haha.. nice message title.

I am from Portland, OR (and living here currently) am a graduate of University of Oregon, and have been working as a Nursing Assistant in a hospital for about 2 years. Portland is about the best place you could possibly live for outdoor stuff... so I hear you on hoping Charlottesville has some of that to offer. I've never lived back east, I've only visited (Boston, NYC, and parts of North Carolina), so this will be a new experience for me. I am a frisbee nut (I played competitively in college), and am looking to get an ultimate frisbee team together for fall intramurals. I know UVault played competitively for UVa as an undergrad too. I will be living in Nob Hill Apartments, and I think my lady isn't gonna come with me until January, so I will be lonely. I will have plenty of liquor and cable TV, so come on over, otherwise Jack Daniels and I will be hanging out all by ourselves :cool: .

Anybody alive in here? :sleep: