***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know applications were barely just due a few days back for this program, but does anyone know when we'll find out if we got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I know applications were barely just due a few days back for this program, but does anyone know when we'll find out if we got accepted?

I'd like to second that question, hah.

Also, a question about supplies for POM 1. Here's the list:
  • Diagnostic Kit
  • Stethoscope
  • Reflex Hammer
  • Tuning Fork(128HZ)
  • Sphygmomanometer
  • Eye Card
How much of this is actually required? (lol, as if though the strategically placed "REQUIRED EQUIPMENT"wasn't obvious enough) I've already picked up a stethoscope, but I'm curious about whether I can save a few bucks on the other stuff.

I'd like to second that question, hah.

Also, a question about supplies for POM 1. Here's the list:
  • Diagnostic Kit
  • Stethoscope
  • Reflex Hammer
  • Tuning Fork(128HZ)
  • Sphygmomanometer
  • Eye Card
How much of this is actually required? (lol, as if though the strategically placed "REQUIRED EQUIPMENT"wasn't obvious enough) I've already picked up a stethoscope, but I'm curious about whether I can save a few bucks on the other stuff.

The reflex hammer, tuning fork, blood pressure cuff, and eye card you can get in the bookstore for ~$25. They're good to have just for practice.

As for the diagnostic kit, you can get cheap ones online for around $100 as opposed to the bookstores $400. You can get by without it, but again it's good just to have for practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the stethoscope really necessary for first year? I don't want to go and buy one unless we are actually going to use it and need it. Thanks.

Is the stethoscope really necessary for first year? I don't want to go and buy one unless we are actually going to use it and need it. Thanks.

The stethoscope you will actually use during your first year. I did not buy a diagnostic kit though. Don't think its really worth it, especially cause all the OSCE rooms have a set and you don't really need to practice a whole lot with them. You get a day to practice when your taught the eye/ears/nose exam, and that's about all you need to know.

I've heard a lot about the University of Michigan's anatomy website and of Acland's dissection videos. Is it beneficial to use both, or are they practically the same thing so only one is necessary? Thanks.

I've heard a lot about the University of Michigan's anatomy website and of Acland's dissection videos. Is it beneficial to use both, or are they practically the same thing so only one is necessary? Thanks.

Uh....I'm thinking its about the same thing. Dr. Chico, a recently let go anatomy professor, made dissection videos, so they probably will post those again. It probably would be best to stick to those, so that you know what these faculty like to focus on.

Hey Class of 2013,

Congratulations on getting into UTMB! If you don't already know about scribes, please read the flyer below. This was also sent out with your acceptance package.

Thanks,

Class of 2012 Scribes Council :)

FLYER:

Scribes 2012: The greatest investment of your medical school career!

What are Scribes?
• Scribes are notes taken by students in each lecture of each class. These notes are checked and edited by reviewers and chief reviewers from the Scribes Council 2012 to ensure they are of the highest quality. In addition, money collected from Scribes helps fund our 4th year Match Day Party!

Why buy Scribes?
• 95% of SOM 2012 Class uses Scribes as a Study Aid!!!
• $215 for a year's worth of notes!!!
• Scribes allows you to Preview the information BEFORE going to lecture!
Imagine walking into a lecture about Joubert Syndrome literally "empty-headed".
• Much of what you need to know is reviewed in Scribes!

What's the cost?
• Scribes are $215 for orders placed before July 18. After this, scribes will be $230.

How to purchase scribes from the class of 2012?
• Make your check payable to: UTMB 2012 and put your name & Scribes in the memo line.

• Mail check to:
Office of Student Life
2.110 Lee Hage Jamail Student Center
301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555-1316

When will you receive your Scribes?
Scribes will be ready for pick-up during orientation

What if you still have questions?
Email us Insert Contact name here: Kyle Keyes [email protected]

Check out our website at www.scribes2012.com.
Also, if you are interested in joining Scribes Council for your class, please see the website for additional information.

Is the location space limiting? I have siblings, in addition to my parents, who wish to attend.

Is the location space limiting? I have siblings, in addition to my parents, who wish to attend.

I had called Student Affairs this past Thursday, and they told me there is no limit to the amount of guests that we can bring.

Current students, did the good first and second year professors rumored on page 2 of this thread to be leaving UTMB after the storm actually end up leaving? I'm just wondering if our class is going to be dealing with new professors.

Current students, did the good first and second year professors rumored on page 2 of this thread to be leaving UTMB after the storm actually end up leaving? I'm just wondering if our class is going to be dealing with new professors.

Dr. Blankenship (Former Neuro director) left, from my understanding, because of retirement. Dr. Bob (who has been a lecturer for the class for a long time) replaced him. Dr. Brodwick got hired back on and is our CVP director. I see Dr. Collins all the time on campus. I don't think he's gone. A few of the lecturers are gone, but all the lectures were pretty much still given in the same way. I haven't gone to lecture since March though so, maybe I'm not the best for that. FYI, Reading >>> Lectures (in importance) in 2nd year.

Dr. Blankenship (Former Neuro director) left, from my understanding, because of retirement. Dr. Bob (who has been a lecturer for the class for a long time) replaced him. Dr. Brodwick got hired back on and is our CVP director. I see Dr. Collins all the time on campus. I don't think he's gone. A few of the lecturers are gone, but all the lectures were pretty much still given in the same way. I haven't gone to lecture since March though so, maybe I'm not the best for that. FYI, Reading >>> Lectures (in importance) in 2nd year.

I thought we could only miss three classes or something like that? How does that work?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought we could only miss three classes or something like that? How does that work?

You can only miss 3 REQUIRED activities, those include PBL, labs, and a couple workshops/misc. Lectures are not required.

I was accepted to UTMB as an out of state resident and was accepted somewhere else and decided to withdraw and go to another school...Which means someone on the waiting list should be happy to get a spot! Good luck

I was wondering, which of the 3 atlases are better to use - Netter, Grant, or Rohen? Or do some people use a combination of them all?

I was wondering, which of the 3 atlases are better to use - Netter, Grant, or Rohen? Or do some people use a combination of them all?

Most students prefer Netter's. Most professors like Grant's. Minimal amount of ppl use Rohen.

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to UTMB off the waitlist and I'm really excited to be coming to Galveston for med school. I'm gonna look through this thread for some details on what I should be doing to prepare, but I just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Pakola, check out 3 posts above yours! Maybe your spot! Congrats!!!!

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to UTMB off the waitlist and I'm really excited to be coming to Galveston for med school. I'm gonna look through this thread for some details on what I should be doing to prepare, but I just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Welcome Pakola, feel free to ask any questions that aren't covered in previous pages. Congrats on your acceptance!

Pakola, check out 3 posts above yours! Maybe your spot! Congrats!!!!

I know, right. Thank you Missysnote for opening up that spot. When I saw that post I got super excited at the prospect of another spot opening up, but dismissed my chances at this point. Still, I decided to updated Dean Rabek on my current volunteering, even though I've barely started, just to show that I was on the right track to improving my app. Lo and behold, the next day I got the e-mail. Persistence paid off.

Pakola, I'm just curious as to why you sent me a private message, unprovoked, a few weeks ago calling me a "****".

Pakola, I'm just curious as to why you sent me a private message, unprovoked, a few weeks ago calling me a "****".

...I'll just sit back and watch the drama unfold :laugh:

.....reaches for the popcorn

To be honest I don't remember. You probably said something that pissed me off. Clearly it was meant to be incendiary. But, what can I say I have a short attention span. So it's water under the bridge.

To be honest I don't remember. You probably said something that pissed me off. Clearly it was meant to be incendiary. But, what can I say I have a short attention span. So it's water under the bridge.
Ok, fair enough.

...well that wasn't fun...probably a good thing

The reflex hammer, tuning fork, blood pressure cuff, and eye card you can get in the bookstore for ~$25. They're good to have just for practice.

As for the diagnostic kit, you can get cheap ones online for around $100 as opposed to the bookstores $400. You can get by without it, but again it's good just to have for practice.

Any recommendations on the diagnostic kit?

I have 2 copies of Netters Anatomy Atlas (long story as to why...). Anyways if someone hasn't bought theirs yet I will sell them this one (still in the wrapping) for $40 (it is listed at UTMB's site for over $80). PM me if you need one and I'll just give it to you during orientation.

The book has been claimed already...sorry if he/she beat you to it

Last edited:
do we have to send the check in for scribes right now? i'm just a little low on cash and was hoping i could just get them during orientation when loans come in...

They told me that if we turned in the check during orientation that they can't guarantee that they will be ready for us by the time school starts.

They told me that if we turned in the check during orientation that they can't guarantee that they will be ready for us by the time school starts.

Eh, first 2 weeks of school are chill anyway, I'd just hold off on the check if you don't have it. Don't stress about it you'll have other stuff you can study if you feel the need to right off the bat :p

What's the status on everyone turning in immunization records? I still haven't done it yet. :sleep: Also, to all the current students, where does everyone go on the island to get a beer? I have been to some places on the sea wall, but there are a lot of tourist there; some of the places on the strand seem uninviting.

What's the status on everyone turning in immunization records? I still haven't done it yet. :sleep: Also, to all the current students, where does everyone go on the island to get a beer? I have been to some places on the sea wall, but there are a lot of tourist there; some of the places on the strand seem uninviting.

Our first yr schedule went like so. Murphy's Wednesday, Molly's Thursday, Yaga's Friday and weekend. Murphy's has big ass beer night on Wednesday (cheap 28 or 32 oz, i forget). Molly's I think is still closed. Yaga's on Friday has live music and $1 plastic cup drinks from 10-11. Yaga's also has a minidance floor and an outdoor patio. Murphy's is just your good ole' fashion Irish pub. Then there's O'Malley's, Sandy's Corner Store (if your looking for just some cheap beer in a hole in the wall place). The San Luis's H20 bar if you are looking for a nice atmosphere with a hefty price. This newish bar called Drip, that I haven't been to yet. I'm sure there are others, but Murphy's and Yaga's are where most UTMB people hang out.

Forgot this question. As long as you turn in stuff by 2nd year, you're fine as far as immunizations go. Don't stress about it.

Our first yr schedule went like so. Murphy's Wednesday, Molly's Thursday, Yaga's Friday and weekend. Murphy's has big ass beer night on Wednesday (cheap 28 or 32 oz, i forget). Molly's I think is still closed. Yaga's on Friday has live music and $1 plastic cup drinks from 10-11. Yaga's also has a minidance floor and an outdoor patio. Murphy's is just your good ole' fashion Irish pub. Then there's O'Malley's, Sandy's Corner Store (if your looking for just some cheap beer in a hole in the wall place). The San Luis's H20 bar if you are looking for a nice atmosphere with a hefty price. This newish bar called Drip, that I haven't been to yet. I'm sure there are others, but Murphy's and Yaga's are where most UTMB people hang out.

Molly's is in fact open and is really nice inside :) Drip has a different atmosphere and its pretty nice, but gets a little hot since it's completely outdoors. There's also Tsunami, Bacchus, and Boomba (The Lounge) down the street from Yagas which we've all been going to. Also on Wednesday nights the Float on Seawall has 50cent beers and $4 pitchers. Gumbo bar on Postoffice has $1 drafts on Wednesday nights too. You can tell I study, ALOT. ;)

I just joined this site and it looks like it's really helpful. I, too, was recently accepted off the waitlist and was mailed a HUGE packet of paperwork that you guys have been getting over the previous months. Whew. Anyway, I'm at the Village By The Sea apartments. Anyone else?
I have not bought any books and I feel so behind already!

Last edited:
Molly's is in fact open and is really nice inside :) Drip has a different atmosphere and its pretty nice, but gets a little hot since it's completely outdoors. There's also Tsunami, Bacchus, and Boomba (The Lounge) down the street from Yagas which we've all been going to. Also on Wednesday nights the Float on Seawall has 50cent beers and $4 pitchers. Gumbo bar on Postoffice has $1 drafts on Wednesday nights too. You can tell I study, ALOT. ;)
Wow, your brand of studying sounds like my style :)

Forgot this question. As long as you turn in stuff by 2nd year, you're fine as far as immunizations go. Don't stress about it.

Thanks for the response..I will definitely try out Murphy's and Yagas..H20 bar at the SanLuis is very expensive...and the float bar is not too bad..Anyway, Im sure we'll run into each other at some point.

Thanks for the response..I will definitely try out Murphy's and Yagas..H20 bar at the SanLuis is very expensive...and the float bar is not too bad..Anyway, Im sure we'll run into each other at some point.

In the words of that timeless commercial, "yea beer!"

I have a question about orientation weekend: how much of this stuff is mandatory? Specifically, on Wednesday, we have Osler Society meetings and "Medical School Idol".

Do we have to go to those?

Is anyone going to the cowboy up party on friday? how good are these parties?

Anyone interested in a friendly game of tennis at the courts near fish village? Don't worry about your skill level; in fact, I am terrible myself. And for those who actually play well, this can be a great confidence-booster.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to the cowboy up party on friday? how good are these parties?

The upperclassmen should be there, I'm not sure how widespread the info has gotten to your class. In general the parties are awesome, especially the orientation week ones. There is also a shot party on Saturday night at TKY and a pub crawl leaving from the PBP house on Th 27.

I'm new to living in an area affected by hurricanes. Is anyone else paranoid about this now? Hurricane Bill is brewing out there, and I'm getting daily updates! I guess I will get used to it. But I think last year's run in with Ike has raised my awareness. :scared:

I'm new to living in an area affected by hurricanes. Is anyone else paranoid about this now? Hurricane Bill is brewing out there, and I'm getting daily updates! I guess I will get used to it. But I think last year's run in with Ike has raised my awareness. :scared:

Let's just hope hurricanes are like lighting strikes? I'm not worried at all personally, but I have gone through it once with no problems, so that could be why.

does anyone know what we're supposed to wear saturday