****Official Verbal Reasoning Help Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Re3iRtH

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scoring consistent 9s from the EK 101 passages book.
I heard that EK verbal was "just as hard and maybe a little
harder" than the actual MCAT.

Well I ended up with 3 points lower on the MCAT.. which killed
my chances of applying with this test.

I have noticed that the passages are very easy to read and understand
with EK, the questions do require you to think. Do you guys suggest
practicing with kaplan verbal... I've been trying to find kaplan verbal
material but havent had any success.

Any help is appretiated!

Members don't see this ad.

What if you feel like you arent retaining enough details from the passage to answer some of the questions. What would you recommend?

Any tips maybe on active reading or something? I feel like i miss questions cause i miss a certain sentence or detail from the passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
People tell me to "pretend to read the passage as if you're the author"

Most of the time I hate the author's views/opinions though, lol

That is definitely tough. With verbal you must focus 100% on every single word of each passage and actively interpret what you're reading which is much easier said than done. Even if you read it as well as you possibly can you're not going to remember details well enough to feel super confident about all the questions. Do your absolute best to understand the passage and trust your gut when you're answering the questions. Much can be learned from the questions also. There are a quite a few that always have some sort of indication of what the answer is besides what is stated in the passage. Going back is dangerous so its super important to use every tool you have aside from looking back. I feel you though I get rattled when a question asks about something I cant really remember but I know its in my head regardless of whether I consciously remember it or not. Something some other ppl here say to do which I think works really well is after finishing a passage take a 5-10 second breather and look at something across the room so your eyes can relax for a bit. I know I would have an aneurism reading that intently for 7 passages without some breathers.

That is definitely tough. With verbal you must focus 100% on every single word of each passage and actively interpret what you're reading which is much easier said than done. Even if you read it as well as you possibly can you're not going to remember details well enough to feel super confident about all the questions. Do your absolute best to understand the passage and trust your gut when you're answering the questions. Much can be learned from the questions also. There are a quite a few that always have some sort of indication of what the answer is besides what is stated in the passage. Going back is dangerous so its super important to use every tool you have aside from looking back. I feel you though I get rattled when a question asks about something I cant really remember but I know its in my head regardless of whether I consciously remember it or not. Something some other ppl here say to do which I think works really well is after finishing a passage take a 5-10 second breather and look at something across the room so your eyes can relax for a bit. I know I would have an aneurism reading that intently for 7 passages without some breathers.

very insightful. would you recommend doing full length verbal sections and reviewing those? or doing a few passages a day and reviewing?

cause i've been doing sn2 schedule and doing a few passages a day is alright but i feel like i'm not really picking up on any patterns.

thanks again RC4L

I started studying at the beginning of May and did one verbal passage every day for the first month under timed conditions. I jumped to 3 and 4 each day in June and July until I exhausted my practice supplies and then just started doing FLs every other day. I guess depending on when your exam is you would just need to gauge how much you can get done realistically without exhausting all your material. It took me a solid month before my scores started to improve.

So I've been preparing for the August 15th test for a while.. I was taking EK 101 verbal practices, started out at 9 for the first few, then when i took the AAMC 3, I ended up with a 7.. then from there I tried to go back to EK passages to keep practicing, but nothing has improved. The only thing I can think of that changed is maybe I transitioned out of EK's strategy.

I decided to delay the test date because I know I need more time to beef up my reading comprehension (I've never been much of a reader, and usually haven't done well on verbal standardized testing).

I'm taking it in January now. Does anyone have suggestions on reading material and how to practice outside of the testing material? I have The New Yorker and the Atlantic. Should I be reading the articles and trying to figure out the author's tone? How should I be reading these articles?

Please help me! It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have yet to search the forums for more verbal advice, am doing so now!

I've posted VR questions to the AAMC 11, AAMC 10, AAMC Self Assessment, and AAMC Guide to the MCAT threads. They are ALL still waiting for answers, if you can help!

My test is in a couple weeks.

I think reading New Yorker, Economist, etc. is not such a good idea to prepare for the MCAT because there are NO questions to test you over the author's main idea, tone etc. ZERO practice for the MCAT.

I would recommend doing verbal passages from any source you can while attempting questions. That way even if its ridiculous, you still have some practice for vr.

I think reading New Yorker, Economist, etc. is not such a good idea to prepare for the MCAT because there are NO questions to test you over the author's main idea, tone etc. ZERO practice for the MCAT.

I would recommend doing verbal passages from any source you can while attempting questions. That way even if its ridiculous, you still have some practice for vr.

What about people who struggle with reading speed, but are doing fine with the questions?

I started studying at the beginning of May and did one verbal passage every day for the first month under timed conditions. I jumped to 3 and 4 each day in June and July until I exhausted my practice supplies and then just started doing FLs every other day. I guess depending on when your exam is you would just need to gauge how much you can get done realistically without exhausting all your material. It took me a solid month before my scores started to improve.

As a retaker, I have exhausted my EK & a lot of TPRH VR sources and of course AAMC but I will redo those in the final 2.5 weeks of my studying. I am taking my test on Sept 11 and was wondering what you source recommend to practice your strategy on? Should I redo EK/TPR? I have done a few TBR passages and have mixed feelings on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a retaker, I have exhausted my EK & a lot of TPRH VR sources and of course AAMC but I will redo those in the final 2.5 weeks of my studying. I am taking my test on Sept 11 and was wondering what you source recommend to practice your strategy on? Should I redo EK/TPR? I have done a few TBR passages and have mixed feelings on them.

Some people have said lsat passages but i guess i would do BR if I were in your position.

What about people who struggle with reading speed, but are doing fine with the questions?

Well, you don't need to speed read for the MCAT. But what you do absolutely need to do is to ignore the "fluff" in the passage. When I read for meaning, I generally fly past the examples, scenarios, and other stuff in the passage. For science passages, definitely read through the specifics.

I am the reverse of you - I tend to understand the main idea well but there are certain question types that I almost always miss.

Just sat for the real deal this morning. Ill get back to this as soon as my brain repairs haha.

I hope so! It was a curveball for sure. I don't know if all the real MCAT's are like this but the verbal passages were looong. I had trouble finishing it and had to guess the last few answers. Knowing how lengthy these passages were I would have trained for 7 minutes a passage rather than 8/passage. The passage length was similar between all sections actually.. Talk about exhausting. Verbal skills are very translatable to the other sections if the current MCAT is made like this!

I've posted VR questions to the AAMC 11, AAMC 10, AAMC Self Assessment, and AAMC Guide to the MCAT threads. They are ALL still waiting for answers, if you can help!

My test is in a couple weeks.

Where did you post them?

I suppose berkeley or kaplan would be your best bet. I never tried their verbal passages though so I have no idea what they are like. I used TPR and EK for paper-back passages and then I did all the gold standard FL exams online followed by all of AAMC's FL tests. The gold standard verbal wasn't the best but I would still recommend using it for practice especially considering they have 10 FL exams to practice with. I don't know how to feel about repeating old passages. Even if its been awhile I think some part of your brain recognizes the passage/answers even if you cant consciously recall them. If I had time to do more verbal passages I probably would have gone to Kaplan based on what ive heard from others. Another company no one talks about on SDN is baron. I hear they actually some decent material.

My $.02 on approaching verbal:

Forget about looking for the "best" answer, because that implies that 2 or more are partially correct, but that one of the "correct" answers is more correct or somehow a better choice than others. Nope. 3 are wrong, 1 is right. (This is true with AAMC verbal passages but not always with test prep verbal passages.) The wrong ones are hidden in language that's very convincing, but they're still wrong. Their reasoning is flawed, they're off-topic, they aren't supported by the passage, etc. etc.

The best way to find the correct answer is to mark off the answers in which you can find flaws. For every question, ask yourself, "Why is A wrong? It is technically correct, but the author never mentioned it. Why is B wrong? It's too vague; the author's argument is very specific. Why is C wrong? A key word is misused in this answer. Why is D wrong? I can't find anything wrong with D, even though it sounds kind of lame. D must be right." There is a reason that every wrong answer is wrong. Don't get caught in the language, and don't be distracted by answers that sound good or that mimic language from the passage. Look for the flaws in every answer.

When you read journals/magazines/etc for MCAT practice, as well as MCAT verbal passages, try to read the way people working in the humanities do. They look for main arguments, supporting evidence, and the consequences of the arguments/evidence ("because xyz, abc.") They also look for strengths and weaknesses in those arguments and evidence. Do you think the author's argument is weak or flawed? Why? How would s/he respond to your criticism? If you wanted to help support the author's claim, how could you do it? Are the author's arguments supported by real evidence or by unsubstantiated claims? What are the implications of the author's arguments? Etc.

Simply reading for practice isn't going to make much difference. The key is to read actively, as if you're preparing to debate someone on that particular topic.

I hope this helps some of you! Good luck!

My $.02 on approaching verbal:

Forget about looking for the "best" answer, because that implies that 2 or more are partially correct, but that one of the "correct" answers is more correct or somehow a better choice than others. Nope. 3 are wrong, 1 is right. (This is true with AAMC verbal passages but not always with test prep verbal passages.) The wrong ones are hidden in language that's very convincing, but they're still wrong. Their reasoning is flawed, they're off-topic, they aren't supported by the passage, etc. etc.

The best way to find the correct answer is to mark off the answers in which you can find flaws. For every question, ask yourself, "Why is A wrong? It is technically correct, but the author never mentioned it. Why is B wrong? It's too vague; the author's argument is very specific. Why is C wrong? A key word is misused in this answer. Why is D wrong? I can't find anything wrong with D, even though it sounds kind of lame. D must be right." There is a reason that every wrong answer is wrong. Don't get caught in the language, and don't be distracted by answers that sound good or that mimic language from the passage. Look for the flaws in every answer.

When you read journals/magazines/etc for MCAT practice, as well as MCAT verbal passages, try to read the way people working in the humanities do. They look for main arguments, supporting evidence, and the consequences of the arguments/evidence ("because xyz, abc.") They also look for strengths and weaknesses in those arguments and evidence. Do you think the author's argument is weak or flawed? Why? How would s/he respond to your criticism? If you wanted to help support the author's claim, how could you do it? Are the author's arguments supported by real evidence or by unsubstantiated claims? What are the implications of the author's arguments? Etc.

Simply reading for practice isn't going to make much difference. The key is to read actively, as if you're preparing to debate someone on that particular topic.

I hope this helps some of you! Good luck!

^ Lovely.

Even if there is a magic strategy out there you will have to work hard to make it work for you. I developed my strategy by reviewing my tests and figuring out where my thought process was misleading me and eventually a formula presented itself. In general I was just trying to use my logic instead of the authors. For you it may be something different but you will definitely find it I you look hard enough.

so... I've gotten my verbal up to around a 9/10...

i think at this point its all about eliminating careless mistakes E.G. Misreading stuff.

does anyone have any tips?

so... I've gotten my verbal up to around a 9/10...

i think at this point its all about eliminating careless mistakes E.G. Misreading stuff.

does anyone have any tips?

What is it about those questions that is tripping you up?

My verbal scores are as follows: AAMC 3 - 8, AAMC 4 - 9, AAMC 5 - 11. I have gotten 100% of science and technology question right; Gotten 70%-95% of social sciences questions right, but on all three I have only gotten 59% of humanities questions right. This may be due to my interests... Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to up my scores on humanities passages? Should I take more time reading them? Is there some type of material I could read to get more used to the humanities?

Any input is appreciated! Feel like I can get to approx. 13 range if I fix this problem.

*Just took TPRH Verbal Test 1 scored 27/40 (8-9). On Passages 2 & 5 got 5/14, 22/26 on the other 5 passages. Finished with 8 minutes left.*
*I regularly have about 10 minutes left at the end of the tests, and I read slowly and carefully.*

Last edited:
I haven't written the real deal yet and my practice scores range from 11-13, so take this with that in mind.

In searching for the best way to go about doing VR, I've found a few tips that have worked well for me. I'll try to list them in order of importance.

1. I always force myself to be very interested in the passage. Treating it like invaluable knowledge is a very efficient way of boosting your short-term memory, an ability that is harshly tested on some questions.

2. Read the questions even more carefully than you read the passage. Most often the process of elimination is more helpful than instantly pin-pointing what you think is the correct answer. In other words, read all the answers carefully even if you think A) is correct.

3. Read the passage at a pace that is as fast as you can go without having to re-read any sentences. In other words, avoid re-reading; it can throw you off by directing your focus onto specific lines and potentially allowing your working-memory to lose the "overall feel" of the passage.

4. Close your eyes and take a deep breath between every passage. Do not resume until you have cleared any trace of the previous passage from your head.

5. If your answer is an extreme answer (e.g., uses words like MUST, ALWAYS, etc.), double check all other answers because these are almost always wrong.

6. If you're following the previous rules, then the best way to utilize the highlighting feature is to highlight all NAMES and DATES for quick reference, but nothing else.

7. I always read the passage before the questions, and I don't skip any passages no matter how convoluted they appear.

That's about all I can add. Keep in mind there are reasons for and against these techniques; try it out and only stick to it if it works for you.

For seemingly easy AAMC passages, I noticed there are rarely clearly EXTREME answers.

They are still there, but disguised. For example, "
which of the following would the author least agree with...."

Any soft-answer, like "occasionally, people are *******s". Even though thats not an extreme answer, to disagree with it would be pretty extreme.

The difficult passages usually have obvious extreme wording, like 'ALWAYS', 'EVERY TIME'.

Its the easy passages that I seem to always get 1 or 2 wrong on consistently.

In the passages that are difficult to comprehend, I find that in each paragraph there is at least one sentence where the author presents a personal opinion. Use the author's remarks/points in each paragraph to make an outline of the passage and the details will fit in more easily. Eliminate answers before choosing your answer because with these passages especially, the correct answer is never obvious.

An interesting technique that i read and tried was reading the question and answering it without looking at the answers. That was pretty effective i think.

Has anyone else tried this?