****Official Verbal Reasoning Help Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Re3iRtH

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scoring consistent 9s from the EK 101 passages book.
I heard that EK verbal was "just as hard and maybe a little
harder" than the actual MCAT.

Well I ended up with 3 points lower on the MCAT.. which killed
my chances of applying with this test.

I have noticed that the passages are very easy to read and understand
with EK, the questions do require you to think. Do you guys suggest
practicing with kaplan verbal... I've been trying to find kaplan verbal
material but havent had any success.

Any help is appretiated!

Members don't see this ad.

I got 8s on the EK Lecture exams and just took the full-length EK 1g tonight. Got a 7 on the verbal section! :eek: I was very surprised because the passages on economics and law really messed me up. I have an econ degree and I took a lot of law classes (econ is pre-law pretty much). I understood those passages more than I needed. Maybe that's what messed me up. Tomorrow morning I will review through EK's explainations on their website to see what parts I'm missing on. If I can improve, I would like to get a 10. I have 9 more full length MCATs so hopefully it will be enough practice.

For the question stems thing...I find that I always remember details from the passage, so my "correct answers" aren't purely intuition based. However, it would be a waste to practice question stems on a blank verbal (there aren't that many of them). Would it still be helpful to practice even if you still kind of remember the passage?

I feel EK is more similar to the real thing than the other materials. For example, on Kaplan passages I tended to get 11s but when I started EK i was getting 7 and 8s initially

now im getting 9 and 10's on EK and on the practice AAMC i got a 9
I feel that what works for me is a mixture of Kaplan and EK - basically circle words and ideas but don't do the whole mapping passage thing b/c it's a waste of time. CIrcling and underlining keeps me focused when I read, but not going back to the passage keeps me more decisive and accurate in my answer choices.

hopefully i'll sloooooooooooooooowlyy move up just a tad more before the real deal

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading a lot of posts it seems that EK and AAMC's are by far the best when it comes to actual MCAT verbal reasoning. Can anyone tell me how valid the TPR's are? I have been going through them and it seems that they are COMPLETELY different from the EK's (Particularly the TPR's questions are FAR longer and revolve much more around retrieval questions). It seems to me that TPR is gearing their particular verbals toward their methods; ie. annotation, circling, going back to the passage and less toward main idea and argument.

I have been diong the EK 101's with a friend (3 passages every night until we finish an exam) while stressing EK methods (no going back to the passage and focusing less on information and more on main idea). On the EK's we are getting 10's-12's. When we took a practice TPR test today (4921) we got a 7 and a 6....ahhhhh WTF!!!!! :confused: :mad: :scared: Has anyone else noticed that EK moethods might not be the best for TPR's???? Do we just suck???? We have been working VERY VERY hard at raising our verbal scores and it just doesn't seem to increase with TPR tests. Are the AAMC tests similar in passage and question length to EK's or are they longer and more retrieval based like the TPR's?? Are the TPR's worth stressing out over?? The MCAT is creeping up and I dont want my verbal reasoning score to be the reason that i didn't get accepted to Med School. PLEASE HELP!

WilliamsF1 said:
I got 8s on the EK Lecture exams and just took the full-length EK 1g tonight. Got a 7 on the verbal section! :eek: I was very surprised because the passages on economics and law really messed me up. I have an econ degree and I took a lot of law classes (econ is pre-law pretty much). I understood those passages more than I needed. Maybe that's what messed me up. Tomorrow morning I will review through EK's explainations on their website to see what parts I'm missing on. If I can improve, I would like to get a 10. I have 9 more full length MCATs so hopefully it will be enough practice.

I am trying to not be too concerned about scores on 1g. I have heard it is a very hard unpredictive test. I also scored a 7 on the verbal and normally get 11-12 on AAMC verbal sections.

I'm still having a hard time with regards to using the question stems. Not really sure which clues I should look for except words such as always, never, only, etc. At times, I still don't finish the entire verbal section (usually 1 passage left) and would really like to use the question stems to make an educated guess rather than just choosing C's.

For those who've succeeded choosing the correct answers based on the question stems, does this method work for all or most questions or are there specific questions in which this method works best (i.e. inference vs. details)?

Also, for those who have anymore helpful ideas with this method, please do share. Thanks! :)

harrypotter said:
Is there a big difference between Kaplan's Full Length verbal section vs. Verbal Practice tests?
yea, the verbal practice tests, first off, I don't have the curve for them, second, the passages tend to be much longer (at least the last ones), and the questions are kinda harder too

When finding a question hard to relate to or hard to narrow down...move on to the next one: I find that by the end the question stem and experience of answering the other questions often points to the answer for the one you're having trouble with. AFter all, the passage is only a page or so

UofT_475 said:
When finding a question hard to relate to or hard to narrow down...move on to the next one: I find that by the end the question stem and experience of answering the other questions often points to the answer for the one you're having trouble with. AFter all, the passage is only a page or so

I just corrected one of the verbal FL that I took and used the EK method regarding question stems/main idea to answer the questions....and got the exact same score....sucks :mad:

A question about EK Verbal and Math book. Their score conversion charts say that 15 is 23 raw score. But there are only 21 questions...so isn't 21 the theoretical maximum raw score you can get?

Thanks BunnyBear for the info! Yeah, I couldn't find a conversion chart for those so I'm just sticking with don't miss more than 20. *sigh*

harrypotter said:
Thanks BunnyBear for the info! Yeah, I couldn't find a conversion chart for those so I'm just sticking with don't miss more than 20. *sigh*
oh man that's my dream, I alwasy miss 24-21. I really want to miss just less than 20 :(

Hey bunny bear, you can shave off 3-4 questions to get that 20!!

For each question I miss, I try to come up with some strategy to use the next time I see a question type like that. I try really hard not to just read the answer and move on. For instance I learned that if I need to narrow down an answer choice and I'm really not sure, circling the main verb of the answer sometimes helps me to pick one. Sure it doesn't work all the time but it has helped.

For example:
A. blah blah blah ANALYSIS blah blah
B. blah blah blah CONCLUSION blah blah
C. blah blah blah APPRECIATION blah blah
D. blah blah blah ADVOCATING blah blah

Good luck Bunnybear! We can do it!!! I'm off to grab some coffee.. *yawn*

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question of my own: which prep-class company (TPR, EK, Kaplan) did you guys think helped the most or was the best preparation for the verbal section?

jedi z said:
I have a question of my own: which prep-class company (TPR, EK, Kaplan) did you guys think helped the most or was the best preparation for the verbal section?

EK, hands down.

I need a :idea: moment with regards to this section!!!

I haven't read all the posts but I've noticed a concentration on EK. I personally took the Kaplan course and used the 2006 version of the EK books as supplement. I didn't find it particularly helpful for the verbal section, but it was great for the bio and chem section. Plus, I feel like the verbal section is the one thing that doesn't necessarily get better with more practice since the passages are always different and you don't really gain knowledge that will be helpful later. My only suggestion, for the people who hit hard passages that they just can't seem to understand: Don't stress about understanding everything and don't spend time re-reading the passage. It's probably better that you move on to the questions and look back to the passage to decipher the correct answer. I think that's the only thing I changed between my first take (9) and my second (13). Oh, that and I made sure to be completely unbiased when choosing an answer, since they do purposely put those kinds of answers in just to screw you up.

Goodluck to all of you taking the exam in August!

Has anyone done the EK 101 passages on the passage about Athena and the judicial system (first test, passage V)? One of the explanations to the questions says that none of Athena's admirers were surprised at her gender. It says that the passage never mentions anything to let you assume something like that. But the passage clearly states, "Her identity as a woman is surprising in a role once reserved exclusively for men." Any help/explanations?

By request, I'm going to cut & paste my verbal strategies from previous posts here.

My strategy was as follows, although it's basically the EK one

1.) Read the passage through without annotating EXCEPT I would underline the part where the author's opinion/stance/voice stood out. This is usually the main idea, or leads into the main idea of the passage.

2.) I read the rest of the passage completely, but summarizing in my head how the author is weaving the main idea through the passage. This does NOT mean summarizing details or stories, only what I perceive the author is doing. You don't need to understand the details of the passage.

3.) I spent a lot of time analyzing the question stem. What is it asking? Are there any answer choices I can eliminate/look for based on the WORDING (not content of the question). An easy example is a question asking to identify an author's assertion or opinion. Sometimes an answer choice given is an irrefutable fact, and thus cannot be an assertion. After taking the exam, I would review the right and wrong answer choices to see what IN THEIR LANGUAGE made them right or wrong. I ignored the factual or detailed reasons why they were right/wrong, basically because a lot of the times EK's answer explanations are debatable from a factual standpoint. However, there was consistency in the language, specificity, and scope of the right/wrong. I can't really explain it; recognizing this comes through practice.

4.) I would time myself 27 minutes per 3 passages. For the AAMC tests with the 10 question passages, I would make sure that I did not do a "triad" with two such passages.

For which of the author's assertions is there NO support

Those are the hardest verbal questions, IMO. The notion of "support" is rather vague. The answer tends to be an assertion made towards the end of a paragraph. For example, if an author discusses something for a paragraph, and then the last line they throw in a one-sentence "Also,..."

One or two of the answer choices may be designed to trick you as well. The question is NOT asking you to assess the validity or strength of the author's assertions. Sometimes an answer choice may be a weak assertion or one the author goes on to discredit.

You might be able to glean the answer from just assessing the answer choices. Look for which answer choice is the most specific. That is, which one would there be a least likely/most difficult for their to be supporting evidence in the passage. Typically, this might be if the author makes an assertion based on his/her own deduction or theory.

how do you approach the question that asks..."which of the following author's assertions is least supported..."

First, go through the answer choices and eliminate any answer choice that is not an assertion of the author from your knowledge of the passage (but do NOT go back to the passage yet). There's usually one, maybe even two, choices that are points the author doesn't make. Sometimes these are irrefutable facts that also aren't technically an author's assertion

Second, eliminate any answer choice that appears to be the main idea of the passage. Logically, this idea will be heavily supported.

This is a question that might require you to go back to the passage. However, after a bit of practice, you might be able to recognize the correct answer (or, at the very least, eliminate another answer choice). They can really trick you by putting an answer choice that is a "weak" opinion of the author, or one that can be easily refuted. This is most likely to be seen in passages where the author presents the opinions or work of two different authors. The author may then refute one or two of the cited author's points or refer to it as weak. However, do NOT associate "least supported" with "weak". "Least supported" means giving the least factual or anecdotal evidence, not necessarily the weakest point the author makes. This is a common "trick" question.

Again, this type of question will most likely require you to go back to the passage. However, the tricks above can save you time.

What I find most difficult for me when trying to do the EK method of answering questions off the "main idea" is the fact that most questions (at least to me) seem to have more then one answer choice that resembles the main idea. How the heck do you guys pick between the two..I feel like I always guess and somehow always manage to get em wrong.

Does anyone know which Kaplan verbal questions they use in both their regular practice and in their tests? I've found one or two passages which came directly from some of the practice material in their verbal book. I'm running out of verbal practice and need more, but I don't want to do passages that will show up in a practice full length. I've already done most of the EK 101 and don't have much left. Should I just try to find another verbal book from another company like TPR or Berkley or find some LSAT stuff?

I actually found my AAMC score one or two points lower than EK score.

You're right about the EK answer explanations, they can be frustrating. That's why a lot of people say they do 1-2 points better on the real thing than on EK.

Kaplan's explanatons do make more sense...but it's because they write their passages to fit their strategy. In comparison to AAMC tests, though, they're not very similar.

I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of the topic sentence of this passage. What does it mean in plain english?

Those who opine lose their impunity when the circumstances in which they pontificate are such that generate from their expression a positive instigation of some mischievous act. An opinion that corn dealers are starvers of the poor, or that owning private property is robbery, ought to be unmolested when simply circulated through the press, but may justly incur punishment when delivered orally to an excited mob assembled before the house of a corn dealer, or when handed about among the same mob in the form of a placard.

I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of the topic sentence of this passage. What does it mean in plain english?

Those who opine lose their impunity when the circumstances in which they pontificate are such that generate from their expression a positive instigation of some mischievous act. An opinion that corn dealers are starvers of the poor, or that owning private property is robbery, ought to be unmolested when simply circulated through the press, but may justly incur punishment when delivered orally to an excited mob assembled before the house of a corn dealer, or when handed about among the same mob in the form of a placard.

Dude, I totally remember that passage. I was doing it in a loud coffee shop and felt like blowing my brains out when I got to it. I couldn't for the life of me get a gist in the short period of time allotted per passage, so I just went with (If you're discussing a situation from an unbiased standpoint then it is ok, but if you are directly involved in the situation you can't be unbiased any longer) or something to that effect. I would just chalk that passage up to an oddity, because I've never seen another like it since.

I'm not sure if you noticed though, but the question dealt mostly with the second paragraph and the ones that dealt with the first were very easy and they used strong language or clearly contradicting terminology. Not a justification for that dog of a passage though.

I remember that passage too. KAPLAN! HELL IT WAS KAPLAN OF COURSE! Only THEY would throw such a insane passage just to mess with your spirits, those jerks. Yeah, don't even worry about not being able to understand that. The author of the passage probably couldn't either :mad:

It means that the press (those who opine, i.e. express their opinions) lose their right to freedom of speech (impunity, i.e. lack of punishment for their statements) when their words incite the public to violence or disorder (mischievous acts). An example is then given: it's all right to express in writing the opinion that corn [=wheat] dealers keep food prices too high and thus cause the poor to starve, or that owning private property is like a form of robbery, but if you express those same opinions in person in front of a mob which may act on your words, you should be punished.

Verbal is just so unpredictable on test day. I was hitting around a 9 average on AAMCs. I made a 6 on test day. Don't get it. However the passages were so much longer and denser and all I heard was constant typing of essays on the computers in the room.

I skimmed the thread, and a few ppl wanted the EK verbal method, so I've outlined the exercise with some example questions that was incredibly helpful.

I was using Kaplan and I wanted to kill myself. They were frustratingly difficult and I found them to be offensively unrepresentative of the AAMC tests. lol... I got the EK verbal book, and checked out the 1001 passages from the library. I didn't really care THAT much about the EK strategy in terms of the chapters, but the exercises saved my life. I went from a 7-8 on verbal to getting 13's on the AAMC's.

The best thing about the EK verbal was the following exercise (modified with my little practical tips, lol).

1. cover up the answers with post-its so that only the questions are visible. DO NOT READ OR LOOK AT THE PASSAGE OR ANSWERS AT ALL.

2. Based on the question stem, write down everything that comes to mind about the passage. If the question stem is vague, come back to it after you've brainstormed the more information heavy questions. Write down what you think the author is saying, whether he likes something, hates it, is trippin out about some random environmental thing, etc. Do this for a whole verbal test. It'll take you FOREVER, but I promise you, it's worth it. Plus, it's kind of nice to be creative and take a break from obsessing about answers. At least i think so.

3. DON'T LOOK AT THE PASSAGE YET. Re write the questions and answers in extremely simplified language for yourself. I give examples below.

It's important, however, to state that I don't do this on verbal tests. I read the passage as fast as possible. I cover up the answers (I hold my hand up to the computer screen) and approximate what the answer will be based on the main idea of the passage. The more you practice this, the better you will get at picking up what the author is saying and what the QUESTIONS are actually asking. Think of it like content review for the sciences: a preliminary, yet absolutely essential, step.

This is from an EK 1001 passage (Test 4, Passage 1).
*I just did 4 questions out of 6. I didn't read/look at the passage at all, and I only confirmed the answers after I finished the whole thing.

1. The passage suggests that conflict resolution education in schools provides:

At first glance, all i know about the passage is that the author's talking about conflicts. I'll come back to it after I see the other question stems since I don't really know what the author thinks about it yet.

2. According to the passage, to whom might one look to become involved with, in order to effectively address the problems of youth violence in schools, rather than using coercion?

Ok, now I can see that the passage talks about youth violence and schools. The author obviously talks about the importance of not using coercion when teaching conflict resolution. The author believes that coercion is ineffective and doesn't curb violence or TEACH kids anything about not being violent. He's also saying that there's a group of people (maybe outside group from the schools?) that knows what's up and has a good plan for teaching schools a more effective technique....Does the author think that schools use too much coercion to reduce violence? probably. He/she also thinks, probably, that schools need outside help. He/she is making a case for some outside group to work with schools to teach them.

3. Suppose that extensive research into youth conflict resolution determined that adult intevention was detrimental to the resolution, even when violence was involved. The lesson of this experience for those attempting to prevent school violence, in general, would be:

Ok-the author is probably saying that conflict resolution is NOT working b/c adults are too involved with the kids, instead of letting the kids learn on their own. The kids are getting irritated b/c the adults are telling them what to do instead of learning on their own and they stop learning. What do you know? they fight again, and if it was violent before, now it'll be worse. The obvious lesson is that adults need to use all of the resources they can to give kids the platform to learn the process of conflict resolution with absolute minimal intervention. Obviously, based on question #2, I know that this is what adults are probably doing now. The author thinks that new techniques that emphasize independence of the kids who have beef and decrease the intervening, nagging adults is going to be more effective.

4. Suppose a study found that in the case of young ppl, they are incapable of recalling circumstances that led up to a violent conflict. Which of the following statements is an assumption of the author about conflict resolution strategies that would be called into question?

Ok, that's an intense question stem. First, kids who have no idea why they're fighting, yet use violence, says to me that they're not going to benefit from anything that requires them to look into the "WHYs" of their anger, what triggered it, etc. They can't remember!! Apparently, the author doesn't take into acount the "impulsive jackass" factor and thinks that all kids need is to talk out their feelings in private with each other and its all good. So, the author assumes:
1. kids who talk about it and work it out independently won't fight once they talk and "hug it out" without adults around; and
2. the author assumes that kids remember the triggers, causes, and circumstances that caused the fight.

Ok, so now I'm going to go back to question #1, b/c I have more info:
1. The passage suggests that conflict resolution education in schools provides:

Conflict resolution (CR) provides kids with a means to learn and implement techniques to handle their anger in a non-violent way. It reduces school violence b/c the author thinks this addresses the core issues, which is a lack of knowledge of handling conflict with appropriate techniques.

*now, I simplify the questions and answers.

1. 1. The passage suggests that conflict resolution education in schools provides:
anything that reads the passage suggests means "the author likes/hates/is worried about/thinks". So, the author likes Conflict Resolution b/c it provides:

a. students with the tools to effectively teach these concepts to the community.
kids learn CR and teach it to other kids.

b. students with the understanding to accept more traditional disciplinary actions.
kids will like getting detention, suspended, etc.
c. changes the whole school environment.
everyone benefits.
d. Teachers with guidelines emphasize their personal responsibility.
Teachers can be responsible for themselves.

I compare what I wrote down to the answer choices:
Conflict resolution (CR) provides kids with a means to learn and implement techniques to handle their anger in a non-violent way. It reduces school violence b/c the author thinks this addresses the core issues, which is a lack of knowledge of handling conflict with appropriate techniques.
Clearly, choice C is right on the money. Sweet.

2. According to the passage, to whom might one look to become involved with, in order to effectively address the problems of youth violence in schools, rather than using coercion?

In this particular example, I need to look to the passage for the detail, so I'm not going to outline the questions. Justunderstand that you're looking to some outside, beneficial party to help teach CR.

3. Suppose that extensive research into youth conflict resolution determined that adult intevention was detrimental to the resolution, even when violence was involved. The lesson of this experience for those attempting to prevent school violence, in general, would be:

reword: Adults worsen conflicts b/t kids, even violent ones. Because of this, we should all:

a. provide emphasis on further intervention where youth are in conflict.
continue to intervene.

b. attempt changes within existing structure of business solutions.
not worry about interventions at all and worry about businesses (wtf?)
c. provide more of an opportunity for youth to mediate and resolve conflicts without intevention.
take a hint and quit intervening.

d. further the use of traditional displinary actions such as suspension, detention, and expulsion.
continue to intervene.

Here's what I wrote:
Ok-the author is probably saying that conflict resolution is NOT working b/c adults are too involved with the kids, instead of letting the kids learn on their own. The kids are getting irritated b/c the adults are telling them what to do instead of learning on their own and they stop learning. What do you know? they fight again, and if it was violent before, now it'll be worse. The obvious lesson is that adults need to use all of the resources they can to give kids the platform to learn the process of conflict resolution with absolute minimal intervention. Obviously, based on question #2, I know that this is what adults are probably doing now. The author thinks that new techniques that emphasize independence of the kids who have beef and decrease the intervening, nagging adults is going to be more effective.

Clearly, choice C is correct.

4. Suppose a study found that in the case of young ppl, they are incapable of recalling circumstances that led up to a violent conflict. Which of the following statements is an assumption of the author about conflict resolution strategies that would be called into question?

reword: Kids can't remember why they started fighting in the first place. How does this contradict the author's opinion?

a. effective programs can enable children to respond nonviolently to conflict through processes of negotation, mediation, and consensus decision making.
kids won't fight when they can mediate.

b. when youth learn to recognize and constructively address what takes place before conflicts, the incidence of that situation will diminish.
kids won't fight when they look at why they started fighting in the first place.

c. the programs that appear to be the most effective are comprehensive and involve multiple components such as problem solving processes and principles of conflict resolution.'
kids won't fight when they're being taught at every level about CR.

d. too many of our young people are caught up in conflicts every day that they don't know how to manage.
kids fight becuase they're trippin about being able to cope.

Here's what I wrote down: Ok, that's an intense question stem. First, kids who have no idea why they're fighting, yet use violence, says to me that they're not going to benefit from anything that requires them to look into the "WHYs" of their anger, what triggered it, etc. They can't remember!! Apparently, the author doesn't take into acount the "impulsive jackass" factor and thinks that all kids need is to talk out their feelings in private with each other and its all good. So, the author assumes:
1. kids who talk about it and work it out independently won't fight once they talk and "hug it out" without adults around; and
2. the author assumes that kids remember the triggers, causes, and circumstances that caused the fight.

Clearly, choice B is the winner.

The stuff I write down can be quite creative, and it takes a long time at first, but let your mind really brainstorm here. The point is to see how the questions help you understand the answers, what the author is saying, etc. It's important to write down what you think the author thinks, and what the question is really asking you. If a question asks for what the author would disagree with, first write down what the author says. it's a lot easier to see what they'd disagree with if you know their original stance.

This whole thing helped me tremendously. It taught me what to look for in the passage when I was reading it, but more importantly, TO ANSWER THE QUESTION ASKED. I was missing a ton of questions b/c I was bringing in my own opinion or otuside knowledge.

When I got frustrated I tried to remember the big picture. I think it's an important skill to have as a physician, you know? We've gotta learn to approach information at face value. Being able to completely focus on what you're seeing and hearing is a skill that may help you to discover, say, the root causes of an infectious disease, b/c your mind is open and sharp. It's important when that we can interpret information that's not presented "scientifically" (i.e. WHAT OUR PATIENTS WILL BE SAYING) and form conclusions from there.

if you suck at verbal, you can still be a good doctor obviously. I'm just offering a little pep talk for ppl who are discouraged. heh.

Hope this helped!

What was your total MCAT and GPA? How you fixed this VR or got admission on 9 VR? Please provide some information.so far i have two C- one in organic chem i and one C in cal. i. I will take Ochem somewhere. This semester went very bad because i did combination of Ochem i, physics i and cal i and got C,B,C.
Any chance or forget the dream?

I got weak GPA because of OCHEM I so far. I got C in ochem, C in cal i and B in Physics and B in Gen chem ii. Any hope or how to fix this?

Which type of people are good naturally at VR? I am not finding any help other than more practice which do not help.Pls suggest.

Hey what would you guys do if you were missing questions that asked about specific details?

For example. this question asks

"36. according to the passage information, what would have happened if the participant administering the shocks had refused to continue the experiment?
A. Nothing. however, he or she would have been denied the travel stipend.
B. he would have been unstrapped from the apparatus.
C. He would certainly have lost his yale affiliation.
D. There were no specific threats made."

the answer was D. Its in EK 101 pg 142 exam 8 passages 7.

i was just curious this seems to be a detail question understanding the main idea has nothing to do with it. what would you guys recommend doing???

should i work on active reading? any suggestions???

Last edited:
I think you just need to take your time read every word of the passage and understand it. Then do the questions quickly. Out of 7 min i spend 4 reading the paragraph and 3 reading q's. when i read i hear every word in my head and i read slow. Its kinda counterintuitive but i've been doing pretty well with that technique. When i was reviewing i realized i was missing q's because i needed to read the passage better somehow. I think it helped me get those detail questions.

What do you guys think?

After a lot of analysis and consistent practice I managed to take a 6-7 verbal average to 13-14 this summer with consistency. Thought I would put in my thoughts because I learned quite a bit on SDN.

1.) Trying to learn fifty different ways to approach the verbal section is a waste of energy and time. Doing well means you simply have to extract the information and apply it to the questions. This doesn't mean you need a crazy formula it just means you need to be focused, familiar, and consistent.

2.) The entire concept behind the verbal section is not to extract the correct information from the passage it is to identify the wrong information. If you spend all your time looking for an answer that you can positively justify, you wont be able to get very far because the questions aren't designed as such. When I first started practicing verbal I remember spending so much time looking at the answer choices and getting extremely frustrated because I could not find the answer to save my life. When I learned to go straight for the wrong answers I cut my time down and my score jumped immediately. This is a hard mindset to get into because most of us are drilled with nothing but memorization/regurgitation in college and we forget how to actually think. The application is easy,but the transition to making the application second nature is not easy and that is why verbal takes longer to master. Practice consciously everyday and it will work for you.

3.) Finding the false answers is simple.. read the passage effectively. Give your full concentration and extract as much as you can. I don't necessarily agree with the fact that you have to understand the "main point(any idea of the main point will be yours and not the authors)" or that you have to remember details. If you were focused and engaged enough to comprehend the sentences as you read them you will remember enough to flag the wrong answers. The questions trip people up more than the passages.

3.) Timing is huge. Set 8 minutes to do each passage and don't let yourself spend a second longer on any passage no matter what. Reinforcing this habit will make you work more efficiently and give you those extra points on the easier passages you wouldn't have time for otherwise. It's not what you get wrong, its what you don't get right.

4.) Prep companies all have their flaws and aamc is no exception. Don't worry as much about the prep company as your ability to take the test. Definitely save the aamc tests until last to give you the comfort of familiarity but don't take "familiarity" out of context. How you approach the test is more important than what is on the test.

I hope my opinion is valuable to someone out there. I read so many great ideas on this website over the course of studying this summer and I think its awesome an online forum like this offers a place for hard working students to share their experiences and help each other accomplish something great. There is so much to learn from the experience of others and I am really grateful for finding this site and vibing with all the intelligent people here. Nothing but the best to you guys!

After a lot of analysis and consistent practice I managed to take a 6-7 verbal average to 13-14 this summer with consistency. Thought I would put in my thoughts because I learned quite a bit on SDN.

1.) Trying to learn fifty different ways to approach the verbal section is a waste of energy and time. Doing well means you simply have to extract the information and apply it to the questions. This doesn't mean you need a crazy formula it just means you need to be focused, familiar, and consistent.

2.) The entire concept behind the verbal section is not to extract the correct information from the passage it is to identify the wrong information. If you spend all your time looking for an answer that you can positively justify, you wont be able to get very far because the questions aren't designed as such. When I first started practicing verbal I remember spending so much time looking at the answer choices and getting extremely frustrated because I could not find the answer to save my life. When I learned to go straight for the wrong answers I cut my time down and my score jumped immediately. This is a hard mindset to get into because most of us are drilled with nothing but memorization/regurgitation in college and we forget how to actually think. The application is easy,but the transition to making the application second nature is not easy and that is why verbal takes longer to master. Practice consciously everyday and it will work for you.

3.) Finding the false answers is simple.. read the passage effectively. Give your full concentration and extract as much as you can. I don't necessarily agree with the fact that you have to understand the "main point(any idea of the main point will be yours and not the authors)" or that you have to remember details. If you were focused and engaged enough to comprehend the sentences as you read them you will remember enough to flag the wrong answers. The questions trip people up more than the passages.

3.) Timing is huge. Set 8 minutes to do each passage and don't let yourself spend a second longer on any passage no matter what. Reinforcing this habit will make you work more efficiently and give you those extra points on the easier passages you wouldn't have time for otherwise. It's not what you get wrong, its what you don't get right.

4.) Prep companies all have their flaws and aamc is no exception. Don't worry as much about the prep company as your ability to take the test. Definitely save the aamc tests until last to give you the comfort of familiarity but don't take "familiarity" out of context. How you approach the test is more important than what is on the test.

I hope my opinion is valuable to someone out there. I read so many great ideas on this website over the course of studying this summer and I think its awesome an online forum like this offers a place for hard working students to share their experiences and help each other accomplish something great. There is so much to learn from the experience of others and I am really grateful for finding this site and vibing with all the intelligent people here. Nothing but the best to you guys!

This is really a fantastic insight. Congrats on 13-14 thats really impressive! I hope i can do the same! I will try your strategy today lets see how it goes.

:thumbup: I've been trying to do this, but it's tough like you said.

@RC4L

Does it come down to just practice just practice in the end? Or are there strategies that if you perfect you will do well?

I was shocked when I started getting those scores but if I can do it anyone can!

Practice is definitely critical but its equally important that you are actively trying to become better at it rather than just taking them over and over. No matter what you decide to do its going to take tons of practice to make a technique work for you given the time constraints and the fluidity you need to do it well. Taking the time to really pick apart your errors will ultimately tell you exactly how you need to approach it. I truly believe anyone can ace that section if they are proactive enough. For example here are a few things I started to notice after awhile:

*I tended to choose answers that made perfect sense over answers that had no validation in the passage or weren't even in the passage. I have the hardest time with these! For example a question like "The author would most likely feel that" ... with three statements and then a combination of statements for the answer choices. One of the answer choices always fits the author beautifully but the author NEVER stated it in the passage.

*With the central thesis questions there are always two answer choices that make sense. One will sound really good but then at the end of the answer it will state that the concept applies to something specific and not the general topic of the passage. The other answer choice will be somewhat vague and maybe re-word an idea in the passage but will always be much more general. The second of the two is alllllways right.

*Where there is a list of factors about a topic in the passage with one being the most important. For example an entire passage may be about how capitalist economies are characteristic of X and there is a sentence or two somewhere in the end where the author says "however, the critical factor of the capitalist economy is due to Y." If you're reading too fast, all you're going to remember is the association between capitalist economies and X. The extreme statements in the passage are always relevant to a question.

Even if there is a magic strategy out there you will have to work hard to make it work for you. I developed my strategy by reviewing my tests and figuring out where my thought process was misleading me and eventually a formula presented itself. In general I was just trying to use my logic instead of the authors. For you it may be something different but you will definitely find it I you look hard enough.