1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

OH CRAP!! Possibly 2-3 C's!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FutureDocHopefl, Dec 10, 2005.

1. FutureDocHopefl

FutureDocHopefl TheFuture
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    I am a freshman in my first semester at college and a pre-med. I am kind of freaking out because I have a possibility of getting 2-3 C's in some Gen Ed courses. Am I totally out the race now? Or is there still a chance that I could get in with a crap load of hard work? My semester schedule is going to be a little more challenging than this year. DO I STILL HAVE A CHANCE? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Be at or above 3.5 by the end of junior year and you will be in good shape.

4. calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbes Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    depends on why you are getting the c's (family emergency or drinking too much)? if you show an upward trend, ie if you do better as you progress through college, adcoms will like that...

i'd buckle down and work on my grades...three c's is quite a bit for one semester

good luck!

5. FutureDocHopefl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    It has been a mixture of beginning stages of mono and some family problems as well, and it has taken quite the toll on me.

So as long as I show an upward trend and do well on those MCAT's I should be okay?

6. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Yes, you're totally hosed. Find a blue collar job and abandon all hope.

Just kidding. Just don't do it again and you should be fine. Oh, and please relax.

7. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey you're gonna be ok! Figure out where you went wrong this semester and next semester just buckle down and get serious.

8. FutureDocHopefl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks everyone, I am just SOOOO NERVOUS about getting those 2-3 C's, but I am going to figure out what went wrong (besides mono and family problems) and I will kick major arse and get in!

9. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    At least they're Gen Ed and won't affect your sci GPA.

10. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

i have said it before and i'll say it again.

2 Cs and a D freshman year, 1 D sophomore year. all in science classes, too. an MD acceptance on October 17th, hopefully more to come.

trends, baby trends. push harder in the next couple years, really focus yourself on getting nice grades. end up with a decent GPA, above 3.3-3.4. your golden, a couple Cs will never matter unless you make a habit of them, trussst me.

11. First of all, take a deep breath and relax. You're a freshman and a pre-med. Do you realize the proportion of freshmen who claim to be pre-med? And how many actually finish as pre-meds/apply to med school? College freshmen are, as a whole, rather naive and unimaginative when it comes to considering majors and careers. You might not even want to go down this path in the end.

Then again you may be one of these pre-med idiots who is getting parental pressure to be or do a certain thing. If that's the case I have one hyphenated word for you: hara-kiri.

12. FutureDocHopefl

5+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Would I have better chances if I decide to go into osteopathic medicine instead of allopathic medicine?

13. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude. You are 5 semesters from applying at least.

Focus on school.

14. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 10+ Year Member

Yes, you have a remarkable chance. But I'm not one to blow smoke up people's asses, so a dose of reality is necessary.

You're not screwed, but changes need to be made over winter break. Examine your life, your mistakes, and everything about you. Take this seriously and postively and slap up your face and haul ass next semester.

Take it day by day and break down a big goal into daily goals. Getting into med school (or getting a good GPA) is a series of cumulative good choices. This is your first semester. Many of us here would kill to be in your shoes. So don't give up, ever. But do realize that it'll take more than saying you'll do better to actually make change--it takes action. Only you can do that.

Good luck!

15. gaylord

gaylord Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

oh my freaking GOD!!!!!!!!!

16. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if youre mcat is going to be below a 27...

17. JustBreathe

JustBreathe Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

And spend more time studying and less time on SDN! :p

And it's back to not studying for finals for me..... :D

18. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

I felt like you my first semester in undergrad. I 3 C's: gen. chem, calc I (even though I AP'd out in high school...go figure), and Lifetime Physical Activity (that one cracked me up b/c I was a varsity athelete and lettered in high school). I had too much on my plate for a freshman. I practically had a full time job as a basketball team manager. Since I was constantly traveling with the team, I missed alot of class...and some profs did not like that.

I was a serious wreck after 1st semester. I felt like I did not belong at Rice...I felt stupid as hell b/c there were all these kids who were freaking geniuses.

I ended up doing very well in college. Just try and find where you need to make adjustments and you will be fine.

You'll be fine. DONT GIVE UP. THIS IS A LONG PROCESS AND REQUIRES PATIENCE, PERSISTENCE, AND MENTAL STRENGTH/STAMINA.

DONT PSYC YOURSELF OUT IN THE BEGINNING B/C IT WILL MAKE EVERYTHING ELSE THAT MUCH WORSE.

19. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

UT SUCKS!!!!!!!!
    GO TROJANS!!! We will make hamburgers out of that damn bull and will keep the horns as a souvenier (ha ha I think I spelled that wrong).
    GO.........ummmmmm....owls....shhhhhhhhhhhh :horns: :horns:

[​IMG]

20. nimotsu

nimotsu 荷物
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Most people will tell you first semester freshmen year is the worst experience in their college career. You became indepedent, moved away from home, and have to deal with many more aspects of life now. Learn from your mistakes, proceed onward, and do the best you can.

21. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 10+ Year Member

Best advice ever.

22. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Frankly, you need to start getting 3.5+'s from now on. My suggestion is that you study 6+ hours/day during the week and 8-12 hours/day on weekends until you've got your grades fixed. Then maybe you'll learn that you can study less, but first get it right. If you get the 3 C's and you're not able to improve (it doesn't matter what the reason was), then you'll need to find another career. Just being honest.

23. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    H4x!1

24. benfolds21

benfolds21 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have about three C's on my transcript...two of which are in Gen. Chem 1 and 2...

So relax...

but really make sure medicine it where you want to go. And start learning the material to learn it. It sounds cliche but its true and it will be the only way you make it to the next step

25. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You always have a chance. But first you need to figure out what you are doing wrong and remedy it. Likely you are not studying correctly or enough. Find someone who gets A's and do what they do. And stop referring to yourself as a premed. As a prior poster indicated most "premeds" wash out long before application time. You haven't even gotten to the point where you need to declare a major, and at most places "premed" isn't even a major. If you are an A student in junior year, then you can call yourself premed. But till then, you are a freshman with an undecided major -- it takes some of the pressure off.

26. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, your avatar rocks. :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

27. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

eh im goona be getting a crapload of c's this term.......i geuss things like this happen if you dont go to lecture! lol

lesson learned- go to lecture