Oh dear: MN vs. CSU. Help, please.

Started by Barnaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Barnaby

Colorado State PVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone.

I've just run into a dilemma that I never saw coming. I got into CSU off the waitlist. Pretty exciting, right?

Except that I've already put a deposit in at Minnesota. Ordinarily I wouldn't be opposed to losing the deposit if I truly wanted to go to Colorado; however it is, of course, complicated.

I've already nearly signed a lease with someone else. I'd be backing out on the potential roommate (which would suck for her and also for the person we're renting from). We've been discussing arrangements for a couple weeks now, so I'd feel bad about that.

Also, I've never even visited CSU. All I know about it is that it is #2 which, I'm not going to lie, impresses me.

Now, I'm interested in eventually pursuing neuro and possibly doing some clinical research while in school; this is what lead me to choose Minnesota over Illinois or Tufts in the first place. Since I don't know that much about CSU I'm not sure which would be the better choice.

I was 100% satisfied with my decision in Minnesota; until CSU contacted me. I almost wish they hadn't! I just don't want to have any regrets or miss out on a great opportunity.

I'm from Illinois, and I have family in Minnesota, so for practical reasons it's fairly convenient. But how important should that be right now? I also loved the St. Paul campus so much, but I haven't seen CSU so I can't compare them!

What would you do if you were in my shoes...

I know the prudent thing would be to stand by my Minnesota decision, but I'm so overwhelmed and heartbroken that this CSU offer couldn't have come at an earlier time when I could give it more consideration... 🙁

Please give me your honest feedback. What would you do??
 
First before you get too stressed about this I would say do some serious research on what CSU offers in its program. You seem to have specific areas of interest, so if you find out CSU won't offer that opportunity than you have an easy decision.

Second, try to consider the two schools MINUS the roommate and deposit and everything else. Don't let those little things affect your decision.

If you do the research and realize wow CSU would be an amazing opportunity than I say go for it. I'm sure you have other concerns aside from just the program so it will definitely be a personal decision you have to make.

Just weigh your options and decide what is best for you. You should definitely look into though and think it over for a while.

Good Luck!
 
I also wouldn't worry about rankings.

Also, if you do the research and it seems like CSU would be amazing, I would do my absolute best to get a quick trip out there, even if it was just for a 2 day visit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone.

I'm from Illinois, and I have family in Minnesota, so for practical reasons it's fairly convenient. But how important should that be right now?

Very Very important. Please Do NOT underestimate how important having family close will be for you while you are in vet school!

That is all of the input I have :luck:
 
Can I have your CSU slot? Please!!!! I am at CSU right now, going to MN in the fall. I loved MN, but would have given anything to stay in Ft. Collins. Even taken a non-sponsored (OOS tuition for a CO resident) to remain.

Seriously, CO is the best state in the US, not nearly as cold or snowy as MN -- 300+ days of sun a year. CSU is awesome, but a VERY research oriented school. I know the vet neuro professor and he is great. As to a neuro program at CSU, I am not sure other than their graduate neuro program is pretty big -- I am just finishing a MS in Biomedical Science, and about 1/3 of the people in my program are neuro concentration.

That said, I want to keep the MN 2013 list as long as possible and you and I are some of the original members! 🙂

Kai
 
I wouldn't base my decision on "ranking"...if I'm not mistaken, these are based on endowments...most vet schools have the same rate of students passing board exams (I think it's something like 97%)? I agree, do some research and go where you want to go. I don't think you'll regret your decision no matter which school you go to--they're both great! Good luck and keep us posted!
 
If your family is in MN, you've got the roomate, you've got the living worked out, I'd stay with MN.

You never know how much you'd miss your family until they are not there. You already said you chose MN over other schools initially for a reason.

You may want to go visit the school, like someone else suggessted. When you're there visiting you'll get a better feel for what you really want. I know that I made the right choice with UF, but I am glad that I went and looked at OKSU. it made me realize that i was making the right choice, that way I'd never wonder what it could be like.
 
You're all right about everything you've suggested.

I'm about 67% certain that I'll stick with Minnesota +/- 10%.

I thought for sure if I did a little research about CSU's program I could convince myself that the reasons for choosing Minnesota outweighed the lure of my ego... So far I'm still stuck on "oooo Fort Collins is pretty". I know that's not a good enough basis for making this decision. So I guess I'm still in research mode.

I have to make a decision quickly though since other people are affected by my actions. (Potential roommates as well as other CSU waitlisters).

Last thing- my mom (who's been super helpful) offered for us to fly out there this Saturday, but unfortunately Sherry Stewart says there are no tours on the weekend.

How worthwhile will it be to look around the school without an official tour? I don't want to waste the money flying out there if I won't learn anything from the trip...
 
Next week is finals week here at CSU, so no this would probably not be the best weekend. Feel free to PM me if you need anything, I do have a few friends who are going here next year, and this year as well.

Kai
 
You might check and see if she could put out a broadcast email and see if any vet student would be willing to spare the time to show you around briefly. Maybe offer to buy lunch or such. Someone might be up for it.

I would think if you didn't have any contact with anyone in the school, it would be harder to get a feel for it. Official might not matter so much ( I actually prefer unofficial.)
 
Thanks Sum and Caninerepro. I've taken off work so I can be there on Friday specifically for one of the "official" tours.

I'll be staying through the weekend though, so hopefully I'll get a chance to poke around the main campus and figure out what it's all about for the students of the PVM. 🙂

The tricky part, of course, will be making a rational decision after I've fallen in love with Fort Collins (everyone does, right?)...
 
Thanks Sum and Caninerepro. I've taken off work so I can be there on Friday specifically for one of the "official" tours.

I'll be staying through the weekend though, so hopefully I'll get a chance to poke around the main campus and figure out what it's all about for the students of the PVM. 🙂

The tricky part, of course, will be making a rational decision after I've fallen in love with Fort Collins (everyone does, right?)...

Yes they do. This is heaven on earth after all. 😛
 
The only other thing I can say is, no there will not be "official tours" but HELLO this is Ft Collins, and I am sure something can be arranged unofficially. Seriously if this is your only window of opportunity, come out and someone will at least give you a no frills tour. Plus, that may well give you a better feel for things than something pre-planned.
 
Hi! I am a U of MN student who also just spent two weeks in Fort Collins on externship, so I have a little bit of perspective. First, are you an out-of-stater for MN and CSU? Second, are you considering doing a Ph.D? The U of MN has the dual degree program that would allow you to get both your DVM and Ph.D for the cost of two years of vet school, which is a pretty nice incentive for those interested in research.

I liked Fort Collins, but as a native Minnesotan, I would have a really hard time with the relative lack of green. I need my trees! I also love living in the city, and love all the that Twin Cities have to offer. My cousin, who has lived in both Denver and Minneapolis, said that the Twin Cities has a much more active live music scene. Winter gets painful for the last bit of January, but in exchange you get gorgeous summers, springs, and autumns! I love the dramatic changes in seasons here.

CSU does have a lovely hospital! The equine facilities are also quite impressive. CSU has third years start spending their mornings on rotation, whereas at Minnesota, you don't start rotations until your fourth year. I found it a little strange at CSU that first and second years are over on the main campus while third and fourth years are separate over on the teaching hospital campus. At Minnesota, the first, second, and third years are all close to each other, and are all close to the teaching hospital. This gives us lots of interaction with other classes and makes it easy for us to get into the teaching hospital early on in vet school. MN also has you doing surgery during second year, which is earlier than many other schools (including CSU).

I'm sure you'll be happy and get a great education whichever school you choose! Good luck!
 
I am a U of MN student who also just spent two weeks in Fort Collins on externship, so I have a little bit of perspective.

Hey Stealthdog, thanks for your post- I was kind of hoping someone from MN would chime in, and that you've spent some time at CSU really helps too.

I am out of state for both schools; I got into my IS but turned the seat down.

I am interested in clinical research, but having worked in research labs for awhile and having considered it long and hard... I just don't think a PhD is right for me. I'd much rather take that time to pursue board certification if I can.

Minnesota certainly does have a lot to offer- I remember all the reasons I chose MN over my other options in the first place. Also, I do love Minnesota summers! I'll be interested to check out CSU.

I'm going out there with the mindset that I can achieve my goals at either school (I'm nearly certain). I nearly certain that each school has a lot to offer in the way of neuro. The questions I will be asking at CSU will focus on the location (whether I love the area, whether I love it enough to move even further from home) and on the curriculum (whether it's a good match for me).

I've gone so far down the Minnesota planning path already and I was so happy with my decision initially that I'm almost positive I'll stick with it. I just need to make sure I'm not passing up some monumentally good opportunity.

Thanks everyone for all your advice/insight. Wish me luck this weekend!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to make a decision quickly though since other people are affected by my actions. (Potential roommates as well as other CSU waitlisters).

This is a very generous and considerate sentiment of yours. But you deserve to take some extra time to think about what is best for you if you need it! You obviously have to work with whatever deadline CSU gave you. Other than that, take the time to think about it and to not feel too rushed by the thought that others are waiting on you. You've earned the right to take a little time.

Good luck with your decision!:luck:
 
Hi everyone!

So I'm here in Fort Collins, and I love it (of course)! I had my tour yesterday, and we've been seeing the town/reservoir since; I love the town. It's so pleasant and sunny. I have no doubt that I would absolutely love to live here, which is only making my decision harder...

So I wanted to ask those of you familiar with Fort Collins some questions. I'm still trying to gain perspective. Obviously I'd love more perspective on Minnesota too, so chime in where/if you can- thanks!

1. How is it being around the undergrads? Annoying? Fine? Do you get to interact with other grad students? Is there a strong community among vet students here? How are the relations with the faculty? Is it weird/inconvenient being split between the main campus and the hospital?

2. In comparing the Minnesota and CSU curriculum, the Minnesota one seems to offer a lot more options in terms of putting together a well-rounded education. How do those of you who've experienced the CSU curriculum feel about it? Does it give you the flexibility to explore your interests? Or not?

3. Do you have access to the health center? The gym? The bus system for free (like the undergrads have)?

4. On the campus at CSU, the vet. students share spaces with grad/undergrad students... does this ever get in the way? Or bother you? Do you ever find yourself on other parts of the campus- like the student center?

I'm certain there are more, so if I get some feedback on these few I may keep the questions flowing. Thanks again, everyone, for all your help; I can't believe what a hard time I am having making this choice. 🙁
 
Hi everyone!

1. How is it being around the undergrads? Annoying? Fine? Do you get to interact with other grad students? Is there a strong community among vet students here? How are the relations with the faculty? Is it weird/inconvenient being split between the main campus and the hospital?

2. In comparing the Minnesota and CSU curriculum, the Minnesota one seems to offer a lot more options in terms of putting together a well-rounded education. How do those of you who've experienced the CSU curriculum feel about it? Does it give you the flexibility to explore your interests? Or not?

3. Do you have access to the health center? The gym? The bus system for free (like the undergrads have)?

4. On the campus at CSU, the vet. students share spaces with grad/undergrad students... does this ever get in the way? Or bother you? Do you ever find yourself on other parts of the campus- like the student center?

I'm certain there are more, so if I get some feedback on these few I may keep the questions flowing. Thanks again, everyone, for all your help; I can't believe what a hard time I am having making this choice. 🙁

1 and 4. It doesn't bother me to be on the main campus (except sometimes when there is a lunch presentation at the VTH that I'd like to go to, or a book I want from the VTH library). I go to the student center occasionally - a number of folks go there for lunch.

3. You pay full student fees, so you have access to everything that the undergrads have - health center, gym, bus.

2. So far (I'm a sophomore) there haven't been lots of choices with the curriculum, but we just picked our junior rotations and there is quite a bit of variety.
 
I just agonize more and more...

For students of either school:

1. How hard is it to get on the rotations that you want?

2. How many students are interested in neuro? Is there a neuro club?

Please and thank you!!

I will decide by tomorrow... I swear.
 
Hi Barnaby, glad you liked your tour and the town! There is no neuro club, but our neuro curriculum is strong. There's lots of opportunity to get involved, though. I'm with Catlover that I don't mind being in shared spaces. There really isn't all that much interaction with the undergrads because all our classes are in the same room, so we don't have to hop around buildings. The gym is nice, I go a lot. The bus around town is free with a CSU ID. Good luck with your decision!
 
Well after much deliberation and vacillation... I believe I've come to a decision... I'm changing horses and going with COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY! 😀

Now the trick is to not look back.

Thanks everyone who posted replies and who answered my PMs; your opinions/advice were crucial in this matter.
 
Congrats on your decision! 👍😀I'm sure you'll have an awesome time at CSU and make someone on the Minnesota wait-list very happy. Now you'll just need to invest in some new vet school sweatshirts...😉
 
Well after much deliberation and vacillation... I believe I've come to a decision... I'm changing horses and going with COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY! 😀

Now the trick is to not look back.

Thanks everyone who posted replies and who answered my PMs; your opinions/advice were crucial in this matter.

Uh oh, Caninerepro won't be happy! 😀
 
Barnaby, just a few weeks ago I was in the exact same position. I was accepted to Miss. State, I sent my deposit and was all geared up to go. Then I got my CSU email! Needless to say, I also decided to take the spot at CSU. Caninerepro was so convincing, how could I possibly say no? 😀

See you in August!


BTW, did you meet with Alana for your tour? I have one set up for the 20th. I am going to meet with Dr. Stewart (Assistant Dean for Admissions) and a food animal clinician.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I think I need to start lying more and telling people how awful it is here in Ft. Collins. No, really it was not 90 degrees today, honest! 😎 The hiking and skiing sucks here, as does the microbrew beer. Everyone is stuck up and sociopathic at Colorado State. 😀 Congrats everyone, enjoy Colorado for me while I freeze my butt off in the great white north!
 
Aw shucks, the great white north can be fun! You just have to dress right 🙂

B84746DC-A409-4B61-89C1-5337274C242.jpg
 
No doubt a picture taken this afternoon! 😛 Ducking for cover now. Thanks Stealthdog for reminding me. 😀 I really am looking forward to my change of scenery, honest. I loved St Paul when I was out there, and can't wait to get the show on the road, really! The people there were awesome.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, my dogs don't work for a living (they might get dirty or something), they just lay on the couch all day and remind me when it is their dinner time. As they have earned the right to. Very cool photo though. 😎
 
BTW, did you meet with Alana for your tour? I have one set up for the 20th. I am going to meet with Dr. Stewart (Assistant Dean for Admissions) and a food animal clinician.

Congrats to you too TSUJC! We may have lost our deposits at our initial schools, but hey- at least we didn't have to send deposits to CSU! I actually met up with a 2nd year student at the main campus and a 1st year student at the VTH for my tour. The tours were alright; I got to see almost everything. Because it's finals time though and because my visit was so last minute the whole affair was a little frantic. I enjoyed myself though.

StealthDog- that shot is too cute. I love the look on her face!
 
I pretend that my MSU deposit went to CSU instead, it makes me feel better about losing $500 🙂
 
OUCH 😱 $500... that's gotta hurt.

I only lost $250 to Minnesota, but they literally have had my check since April 1 or so, and they waited until I was in Colorado last weekend (May 9) to cash it... I thought that was a little ironic. :laugh:
 
barnaby... need to change your title to csu c/o 2013 now 🙂

congrats! and if you have any csu questions, feel free to ask. I still have 2 finals to procrastinate for 🙂
 
Oh you're right! Thanks Soxbox! I hope it isn't premature though... I only dropped the forms in the mail this morning!
 
OUCH 😱 $500... that's gotta hurt.

I only lost $250 to Minnesota, but they literally have had my check since April 1 or so, and they waited until I was in Colorado last weekend (May 9) to cash it... I thought that was a little ironic. :laugh:

OKSU cashed my deposit check the day before I heard from UF. Bye Bye $500

Congrats on making a decision though!!!
 
Mississippi State has had my deposit check for over 2 months and still hasn’t cashed it!!! Since I am now going to CSU some of my friends have suggested that I cancel the check and save myself $500. I feel that is bad karma or something...what do you guys think?
 
Mississippi State has had my deposit check for over 2 months and still hasn’t cashed it!!! Since I am now going to CSU some of my friends have suggested that I cancel the check and save myself $500. I feel that is bad karma or something...what do you guys think?

I thought about doing that in the event that Minnesota had not cashed the check by the time I decided on CSU, but then I wondered if there would be ramifications.

Since they have your SS number and everything, I'm not sure if they could/would do terrible things to your credit.

If they hadn't cashed my check I reasoned that I would give them a call and at least try to get them to send it back. I would call Mississippi and reason with them; maybe they'll give you a break.
 
Mississippi State has had my deposit check for over 2 months and still hasn’t cashed it!!! Since I am now going to CSU some of my friends have suggested that I cancel the check and save myself $500. I feel that is bad karma or something...what do you guys think?

I don't think you should stop payment on the check - it seems unethical (and bad karma) to me. They offered you a seat and you gave your deposit to hold that seat for you, which they did. It's not their fault you got another offer.