Oh god, part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyegirl2k7

Bridget Jones here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am freaking out. I am studying the objectives in the library right now and I can't do this. I just can't. I cannot take a 3.5 hour practical in a really high stress situation.

I should be more mature than this by now. ARRGH.

:scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

It is a lot of questions to memorize.. and honestly, most of them are excessive. Try to remember as much as you can and you'll do fine. :) Remember, deep breaths. You're well trained and you can DO THIS THING !

What week is ICO testing ?

I am freaking out. I am studying the objectives in the library right now and I can't do this. I just can't. I cannot take a 3.5 hour practical in a really high stress situation.

Most of the points are pretty easy to obtain, since all the patients are normal. The hardest thing is just trying to remember every little point that they are looking for. At least you have the whole score sheet which they are testing over. If you can get through the first station, then the rest of it isn't too bad, because you'll start to relax. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know if this is urban legend or not but I heard prior to my Part 3 that there was a student who forgot their high plus (78/90D) lens and was still able to pass not only the entire test but specifically able to pass that station.

I wouldn't doubt it. Part 3 is really just that easy!

I don't know if this is urban legend or not but I heard prior to my Part 3 that there was a student who forgot their high plus (78/90D) lens and was still able to pass not only the entire test but specifically able to pass that station.

they wouldn't just let him/her run down the hall and borrow it from a classmate on another station ??? Sounds like OD school urban legend to me.

I realized my parrot stick had fallen out of my pocket before a station and just borrowed from a classmate on another station and then promptly gave it back. I cant' imagine this situation would be any different.

For the record, I did not forget my 78D/90D. It was my 20D lens, and it was unknowingly taken out of the case on the last day of my external rotation in Oklahoma without being put back. I did pass the boards, including scoring fairly high on that section. I have no idea how the boards are scored now, but in 1997 you were graded based on how well your performed a list of procedures. For that station, a lot of points were given for properly explaining the test, positioning the patient correctly, holding the lens properly, etc. Obviously, you had to get a view, but that did not make or break you. When I opened the case and found it empty, once my heart started again, I turned to the patient and said "I guess we'll finish this station a little early" and proceeded to set up for getting a view. Once in position, I told her "right now you would be experiencing a bright light and I would be able to see your retina". The examiner later told me that the way I handled the situation probably saved me. I would have left the room to borrow someone elses, but that was against the rules. After I released the patient, I looked in the drawers and found a 20D. I tried to get the examiner to bring the patient back in, but they wouldn't. When I found other rooms with extra lenses sitting on the counter, I filed a grievance, but I was told even if I saw the lens I was only able to use equipment that I brought.

I am not sure the story you heard was about me, but I did hear that for a couple of years people were still talking about it at Berkeley. Anyway, it is true and I have been practicing ever since.

I dropped my gonio on the floor during testing. I took it out of the cleaning solution, rinsed it, and used a kimwipe to clean the view side. However I pushed too hard on the viewing side and the gonio popped out of the grip ring and rolled under the exam chair. I calmly shook my head and laughed, put it in the cleaning solution for another 3 minutes while I twiddled my thumbs, and proceeded with gonio!

I dropped my gonio on the floor during testing. I took it out of the cleaning solution, rinsed it, and used a kimwipe to clean the view side. However I pushed too hard on the viewing side and the gonio popped out of the grip ring and rolled under the exam chair. I calmly shook my head and laughed, put it in the cleaning solution for another 3 minutes while I twiddled my thumbs, and proceeded with gonio!

sounds like you pulled through it ok.... i know some people would have totally freaked out and lost it

My patient had a heart attack so I performed CPR and revived them. I then put them back in the chair and finished the plug insertion. Boy, that could have gone really bad.:eek:

My patient had a heart attack so I performed CPR and revived them. I then put them back in the chair and finished the plug insertion. Boy, that could have gone really bad.:eek:

sounds like you really kicked some major butt in that exam! :laugh:

Yeah! I can't believe we're all finished. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my spare time now, maybe start looking for a job?!? :)

Yeah! I can't believe we're all finished. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my spare time now, maybe start looking for a job?!? :)

you think the scores willl be released early this year?