Oh man, what to do...what to do...MCAT 4 times?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamToBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like some advice on what to do about my current situation. I'll just spew out my stats...

cGPA: 3.7 (with a few Ws :\ )
sGPA: 3.66

07/17/09 MCAT: 25M; 8 7 N 10
06/17/10 MCAT: 23N; 5 9 M 9
07/28/11 MCAT: 26O; 7 10 O 9

Activities: ER scribe 2 years, hospice volunteer 2 years, rape crisis volunteer 2 years, caregiver 5 years, life skills trainer to the developmentally disabled 2 years, various other volunteer activities and 2 other jobs through college, and no research.

Strong personal statement, or so I have been told.

I have been dreaming to be a doctor for a long time now, but I'm feeling quite discouraged. It's fairly late in the cycle, my MCATs blow, and I was wondering if I should even apply this year? I know my problem with the low MCAT...I never practiced enough verbal. I don't want to make excuses, but I have somewhat legit reasons for why my mind wasn't there in fully studying for the MCAT each time, with the most recent reason being that I gave birth 4 weeks before my test.

If I delay applying one more year, continue my activities, rock the MCAT for a FOURTH time, and enjoy raising my daughter :oops:, will this make me competitive for next year? Or should I just try to apply this year? Although I have my heart set on an MD, I would be happy to explore a DO...I just need to do more research on it. Thanks for you input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I would like some advice on what to do about my current situation. I'll just spew out my stats...

Activities: ER scribe 2 years, hospice volunteer 2 years, rape crisis volunteer 2 years, caregiver 5 years, life skills trainer to the developmentally disabled 2 years, various other volunteer activities and 2 other jobs through college, and no research.

I have been dreaming to be a doctor for a long time now, but I'm feeling quite discouraged. It's fairly late in the cycle, my MCATs blow, and I was wondering if I should even apply this year? I know my problem with the low MCAT...I never practiced enough verbal. I don't want to make excuses, but I have somewhat legit reasons for why my mind wasn't there in fully studying for the MCAT each time, with the most recent reason being that I gave birth 4 weeks before my test.

If I delay applying one more year, continue my activities, rock the MCAT for a FOURTH time, and enjoy raising my daughter :oops:, will this make me competitive for next year? Or should I just try to apply this year? Although I have my heart set on an MD, I would be happy to explore a DO...I just need to do more research on it. Thanks for you input.

Your GPA is fine... taking the MCAT more than once is common.

I would make sure you start rocking a lot of practice tests before you commit to another test.

Best of luck!:luck:

Your GPA is fine... taking the MCAT more than once is common.

I would make sure you start rocking a lot of practice tests before you commit to another test.

Best of luck!:luck:
Thanks! But taking the MCAT a fourth time, do you think that will totally work against me? Even if I make a significant improvement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! But taking the MCAT a fourth time, do you think that will totally work against me? Even if I make a significant improvement?

No, I don't think so. Some schools tend to average MCAT scores... like Loyola for example.

But, most schools take your most recent test scores into account.

start doing research on DO. Seriously. Your last MCAT and GPA are good enough to get your into a DO school and DOs have the exact same practice rights as MDs. So you could take the MCAT a 4 time and hope to do better, or you could be done forever.

I gave birth 4 weeks before my test.

There is no right answer, but if I were you I would wait until I was absolutely rocking the practice tests and know everything like the back of your hand... then retake. I would also include the above statement somewhere so adcoms know that there were extenuating circumstances for your 4 MCATs. When you apply, apply to lower tier MD and DO (get an MSAR). DO is less competitive and you would have a good chance (I think)... they are only different in their philosophy of medicine. A DO will only prescribe meds as a last resort, where an MD theoretically will try medication first... and DO makes your residency application slightly less competitive than an MD, so most residency programs will take MDs THEN DOs. You also need a letter of recommendation from a DO for DO school apps. Good luck.

start doing research on DO. Seriously. Your last MCAT and GPA are good enough to get your into a DO school and DOs have the exact same practice rights as MDs. So you could take the MCAT a 4 time and hope to do better, or you could be done forever.
Hehe, I like your avatar. My daughter hasn't done any poses like that yet : |

There is no right answer, but if I were you I would wait until I was absolutely rocking the practice tests and know everything like the back of your hand... then retake. I would also include the above statement somewhere so adcoms know that there were extenuating circumstances for your 4 MCATs. When you apply, apply to lower tier MD and DO (get an MSAR). DO is less competitive and you would have a good chance (I think)... they are only different in their philosophy of medicine. A DO will only prescribe meds as a last resort, where an MD theoretically will try medication first... and DO makes your residency application slightly less competitive than an MD, so most residency programs will take MDs THEN DOs. You also need a letter of recommendation from a DO for DO school apps. Good luck.

Thanks for you input! I will try to get in touch with some of the DO doctors at my work. Are the higher tier schools completely out of reach? There are a few med schools fairly near my home, and since I'm a single mom, I really want to be close from home so I could get support from my family. I am considering waiting to apply next year, since it's already so late (unless I apply to DO schools).

Thanks for you input! I will try to get in touch with some of the DO doctors at my work. Are the higher tier tops completely out of reach? There are a few med schools fairly near my home, and since I'm a single mom, I really want to be close from home so I could get support from my family. I am considering waiting to apply next year, since it's already so late (unless I apply to DO schools).

If you want to go DO, I think their application cycle runs later than MD and your stats are in range so you might consider applying this year... But you are going to have a hard time getting an MD acceptance with a 26 MCAT, so if you are trying for MD you should probably wait, retake the MCAT, ace it, then apply early next cycle. It seems people with lower stats tend to have a better chance if they squeeze their applications in first.

I know my problem with the low MCAT...I never practiced enough verbal.

Did they change the section order since I took the beast (PS/VR/WS/BS)? Or am I missing something else completely?

Your verbal score isn't the problem, 10 is actually quite reasonable. The physical sciences is the bigger problem...

That said, as others have mentioned, I would suggest looking into DO schools.

The 7 -> 10 gain is great; it's too bad the other sections went down slightly. Your GPA is good :thumbup:. I would definitely look into DO as you would have a very good chance there. As someone said, you are not really that late for DO as of now. I would apply and see what happens. You would not have to worry about another MCAT, and I would think you would have a choice of multiple schools. If you're not comfortable with DO for whatever reason you could take this year off. I would make sure to only take the test when you're practices are hovering around 29 or 30 (or whatever you may be aiming for) though. Taking again and getting a 27 will not help much. GL! :)

Did they change the section order since I took the beast (PS/VR/WS/BS)? Or am I missing something else completely?

Your verbal score isn't the problem, 10 is actually quite reasonable. The physical sciences is the bigger problem...

That said, as others have mentioned, I would suggest looking into DO schools.

Oh! A beast the MCAT is, and no they didn't change the order. For some reason, the individual scores are listed in the order of VR, PS, WS, BS.

Oh! A beast the MCAT is, and no they didn't change the order. For some reason, the individual scores are listed in the order of VR, PS, WS, BS.

Ah, got it.

On another note: if you stick with the score, interview this season, and get asked about your scores, I would definitely not use giving birth as an excuse (unless you were like 2 months early). You picked your date after all.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think so. Some schools tend to average MCAT scores... like Loyola for example.

But, most schools take your most recent test scores into account.
I called Loyola recently and the guy told me they take the best of the two most recent score.

Ah, got it.

On another note: if you stick with the score, interview this season, and get asked about your scores, I would definitely not use giving birth as an excuse (unless you were like 2 months early). You picked your date after all.

:luck:
You have a good good point. However, I also wasn't expecting a c-section, horrible recovery, and major problems breastfeeding. Too bad my daughter didn't tell me so was coming earlier! ;p

The answer to this question is to go for a DO.

I don't think you'll be able to get in MD this cycle. A 26 is just not high enough for most of them and it's already late to start applying.

Is there something you have against becoming a DO?

I'm sorry, but what gives you the authority to decide this?

Remind me where you are in the process again?

Whoa dude, touchy much?

Less than a third of applicants with the OP's stats get accepted MD. I don't know the DO stats, but I bet they're significantly higher. Plus, with three scores hovering around 25, the OP has sort of rammed the low MCAT point home.

Also, it would seem that KLycos' post was meant facetiously...

Whoa dude, touchy much?

Less than a third of applicants with the OP's stats get accepted MD. I don't know the DO stats, but I bet they're significantly higher. Plus, with three scores hovering around 25, the OP has sort of rammed the low MCAT point home.

Also, it would seem that KLycos' post was meant facetiously...

Nope, I don't think so.

So what about the third of applicants who did apply and were accepted to MD schools? They should have all just applied to DO schools then?

See the logic? If you don't apply, you'll never know. I've seen people on here turn it around with a 2.8 GPA... which in my opinion is harder to fix than an MCAT score. So yes, I disagree with anyone telling someone to just give up and "go DO". Nothing wrong going to DO schools. But WUbear sat out for 3 app cycles and applied EDP this year and was accepted. And he learned a great deal in that time.

Nope, I don't think so.

So what about the third of applicants who did apply and were accepted to MD schools? They should have all just applied to DO schools then?

See the logic? If you don't apply, you'll never know. I've seen people on here turn it around with a 2.8 GPA... which in my opinion is harder to fix than an MCAT score. So yes, I disagree with anyone telling someone to just give up and "go DO". Nothing wrong going to DO schools. But WUbear sat out for 3 app cycles and applied EDP this year and was accepted. And he learned a great deal in that time.

I don't really get why people consider going DO giving up. I have a 34 and I'm applying both. I wouldn't consider going to one giving up. Unless you are eventually planning to move to another country you pretty much can do anything an MD can do. And there are some very nice DO schools.

I don't really get why people consider going DO giving up. I have a 34 and I'm applying both. I wouldn't consider going to one giving up. Unless you are eventually planning to move to another country you pretty much can do anything an MD can do. And there are some very nice DO schools.

agree, but if you pretty much know you dont want to do family medicine.... DO is going to make your life a little more difficult. You can do ANYTHING with a DO, it will just be harder.

Nope, I don't think so.

But seeing that OP already took the MCAT three times and still scoring around 23-26, it is evident that no magic is going to happen the fourth time. With time it will get harder and harder so stop giving her false hope dude. It CAN be done but looking at the circumstances, it would become increasingly difficult for her later as time passes. And there is nothing wrong with DO schools. Going to DO school doesn't mean that you gave up on MD schools ***** !!!

In your shoes, I would apply heavily to DO schools, with some low tiered MD schools tossed into the mix. I would avoid applying to programs with higher stat averages this late in the game for this cycle. Define what you mean by "higher" tiered schools, are these the ones that are close to home? If you are going to play this "regional bias" preference when you apply to med school, there is the real possibility that you could end up applying for many more years because this process is not predictable and that your MCAT history places you in a less than ideal situation.

My problem with the MCAT is that each score was spaced apart by 1 year. That gave plenty of time to reflect over what went wrong and how to correct it. There are plenty of applicants who need 2nd and 3rd chances to redeem themselves and continue on to be successful in their application process. Yes, life happens sometimes, but it is never really a valid excuse (especially having an excuse for all 4 times). The people who I personally have seen with low MCATs that went on to be accepted to an MD school had inspiring or intriguing life stories. They sold themselves well on every other part of their application. You can most definitely try if you believe you can pull this off, but as a habit, I never give advice to people with the assumption that they are the exception.

At this moment in time, your chances for an MD school with your MCAT is poor. Your chance for a DO school are fantastically much higher. DO schools are more friendly to non-traditionals and are also more likely to give you a chance to explain your history. By the way, you wouldn't want to spend the bulk of your Personal Statement space giving excuses for why your MCAT was not up to par, focus on "why medicine". Ask yourself these questions: would I want to be a DO (after you've done your research of course, it's not for everyone. I have seen DO students who drag their feet because they really wanted to be MDs and it reflects in their demeanor), how many more years do I want to try this process, am I only willing to go to med school near home. You can make it, but it all comes down to applying realistically, and toss in one or two dream schools in the chance you can make a cinderella story happen.

I have seen DO students who drag their feet because they really wanted to be MDs and it reflects in their demeanor

Just because I'm curious - can you explain this? Having worked with attending DO's and MD's I've noticed no difference... What exactly made you think this (as a student)?

Nope, I don't think so.

I slightly disagree, CB.

Historically, about 36% of applicants with a 3.7/26 were accepted to an MD school. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625
As a whole, 44% of applicants last year were accepted to an MD school. So applicants with the OP's stats were accepted at a lower rate than the national applicant pool.

To me, the message is that adcom's have a bias against an applicant with those stats (due to the MCAT).

My advice would be to apply to your state schools (as long as you're not a CA resident...) and a few realistic (those with high OOS % and not the HBCs or Puerto Rican schools) allopathic options from the spreadsheet (http://is.gd/sdn_med_matriculant_data). But I would say that your MCAT prevents you from applying to a wide range of MD schools. Instead, add more DO schools to give yourself the best shot at getting in.

TL;DR Apply to your state MD schools and a few OOS ones, then add more DO schools as a more realistic "match" for your stats.

Maybe we're on the same page anyway, CB. I agree that the OP should apply to some MD schools.

Match rate for U.S. MD seniors = 94.1%
Match rate for DO students/graduates = 71.7%

Note that the AOA match is before the ACGME match, and if a DO matches AOA, they are dropped from the MD match. So, around 30% of DOs don't have jobs after graduation.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Match rate for U.S. MD seniors = 94.1%
Match rate for DO students/graduates = 71.7%

Note that the AOA match is before the ACGME match, and if a DO matches AOA, they are dropped from the MD match. So, around 30% of DOs don't have jobs after graduation.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html
Uh so DO students who match into AOA aren't considered students with jobs or what? That is ridiculous

DO students who match into AOA or NMRP: 89.2%

% who don't have jobs: 10.8%. Not even close to 30%

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813819

There is quote that goes something like this: "If you continue to do the things you are doing, you should expect to get the results you have gotten". My concern is that if you study the same way for the 4th MCAT you may get the same result. So, is there something you can do different?How about a private tutor. They do arrange these things thru the review classes. I know they are expensive, and don't mean to be presumptive that money is infinite, but could you do something different to prepare? You may consider this as an "investment" in your future. Just a thought. I don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate about the money it cost to do private lessons as I mentioned above. Just don't want to get flamed here. Best of luck.
EDit: I assumed you already took a review course, if not, take a review course.

Last edited:
I am not going to get into the whole MD vs DO debate that is starting up but keep in mind those match percentage do not take into account Osteo residencies, of which only DOs are allegeable to apply to.
OP, If I was in your shoes this is what I would do. Take a Princeton review course and schedule a retake in about three to four months from the start of the study date. When you read the text for the mcat don't just highlight things but take full notes on what you read. Then take as many practice tests as possible to get a good baseline. Then I would apply to both MD and DO programs because both paths are great options and both paths open many doors. Good luck to you

I am not going to get into the whole MD vs DO debate that is starting up but keep in mind those match percentage do not take into account Osteo residencies, of which only DOs are allegeable to apply to.

Except oh hey look somebody already did the math for that.

If you can't read, you'll never be a good doctor.

OP; in my totally uninformed opinion a fourth substandard MCAT score will definitively torpedo you, if you're not already listing in the water (just to stretch the metaphor a bit.) Med schools don't care about your excuses, you need to prove that you're capable of retaining and processing a lot of information relatively quickly. Suck up the cost and buy a prep course, and stick to it.

OP; in my totally uninformed opinion a fourth substandard MCAT score will definitively torpedo you, if you're not already listing in the water (just to stretch the metaphor a bit.) Med schools don't care about your excuses, you need to prove that you're capable of retaining and processing a lot of information relatively quickly. Suck up the cost and buy a prep course, and stick to it.

That really wasn't needed and isn't beneficial to anyone on here.

I know and I read it and I disagree with it because I know those types of stats only include match applicants that matched to allopathic programs, not osteopathic programs. I am guessing you may not know that osteopaths have their own programs that are not associated with allopathic programs. In case you are still not quite grasping what I a saying, it is my opinion that 71% is too low because the ones that crunch those numbers do not consider those that apply to osteo programs only. I am willing to bet they are closer to the high 80s if osteo only programs are considered along side those that apply to both form DO schools. Just because somebody puts up some numbers does not mean those number are correct nor does it mean those numbers account for all areas.

Also not think it is as high as 89% but close. The main point is DOs don't have any problem matching but MDs do still match a little bit better. Why that is? Not sure. Maybe because not all DO match applicants take both the USMLE and the COMLEX, Maybe MDs are just a bet better at the match. Any ways it is just speculation.

Last edited:
That really wasn't needed and isn't beneficial to anyone on here.

I and everybody else just ignore it. If it makes him or her feel better about themselves to attack someone on the internet, I feel it reflects some deep seated concerns in their own life.

Of those 33% 3.7/26 applicants who got into an MD school, how many do you think had 3 mid-20s MCAT scores? Sorry OP, I don't like those odds.

If I were you, I would look into DO.

Or, you could wait a year, add some points to your MCAT, and then reapply. But, you really, really need to re-evaluate your study strategy and may even look into some other resources (test prep, books, advisers, etc). What you are doing is not working.

Nope, I don't think so.

The assumption is that if his MCAT doesn't improve after the fourth time (and even if it does) the OP should be open minded about applying to DO schools if his ultimate goal is to become a physician. It's a numbers game; and DO schools are less selective, so my suggestion to the OP is if you feel that you can improve your MCAT, go for it. If not, then go DO. Either way, you should be applying to DO schools on top of MD schools.

I know and I read it and I disagree with it because I know those types of stats only include match applicants that matched to allopathic programs, not osteopathic programs. I am guessing you may not know that osteopaths have their own programs that are not associated with allopathic programs. In case you are still not quite grasping what I a saying, it is my opinion that 71% is too low because the ones that crunch those numbers do not consider those that apply to osteo programs only. I am willing to bet they are closer to the high 80s if osteo only programs are considered along side those that apply to both form DO schools. Just because somebody puts up some numbers does not mean those number are correct nor does it mean those numbers account for all areas.
You skipped over reading my post? The real number is 89.2%. Maybe that's what centrigle is talking about. The correct numbers are in this thread, so I don't know why you're still speculating

You skipped over reading my post? The real number is 89.2%. Maybe that's what centrigle is talking about. The correct numbers are in this thread, so I don't know why you're still speculating

Meh... Yeah I just considered that. Of course, centrigle could have just quoted your post and pointed that out instead of insulting me. Well that wasted a few minutes of my life I will never get back. Thanks for setting me back on track there sector9.

Meh... Yeah I just considered that. Of course, centrigle could have just quoted your post and pointed that out instead of insulting me. Well that wasted a few minutes of my life I will never get back. Thanks for setting me back on track there sector9.

:thumbup: wtg.

Also, everybody please blank and calibrate their Burnett's Law ironyometer, thanks.

Meaningless bickering about MD/DO aside (there is a difference, whether you think there should be or not,) the OP is not statistically competitive at most MD programs. Three non-competitive scores with huge section fluctuations looks really bad, as does the chronically uninspired writing score. One bad score is a fluke, three is a trend.

OP needs to learn to espouse (or at least pretend to) the overall 'holistic approach to medicine with the body healing itself that I learned throughout my attempts to be an evolved physician so that's why I love DO now blah blah nutrition blah check out my life experience blah.' Because in terms of numbers, it's not happening.

:thumbup: wtg.

Also, everybody please blank and calibrate their Burnett's Law ironyometer, thanks.

Meaningless bickering about MD/DO aside (there is a difference, whether you think there should be or not,) the OP is not statistically competitive at most MD programs. Three non-competitive scores with huge section fluctuations looks really bad, as does the chronically uninspired writing score. One bad score is a fluke, three is a trend.

OP needs to learn to espouse (or at least pretend to) the overall 'holistic approach to medicine with the body healing itself that I learned throughout my attempts to be an evolved physician so that's why I love DO now blah blah nutrition blah check out my life experience blah.' Because in terms of numbers, it's not happening.

It's nice to know you will be looking down on your future colleagues as pretenders who lied to get into medical school.

It's nice to know you will be looking down on your future colleagues as pretenders who lied to get into medical school.

I'd rather tweak my ideals slightly during an interview and become a physician, than stay pure as the virginal, undoctorated snow. Come on, man, we all play the game.

Haters gunna hate.

I'd rather tweak my ideals slightly during an interview and become a physician, than stay pure as the virginal, undoctorated snow. Come on, man, we all play the game.

Haters gunna hate.

Have to admit this made me laugh. I have a feeling you'll be tweaking more than slightly on your interviews to get in, no?

Hey guys, please try to keep it civil and stay on topic. The OP has a very interesting story and a lot of good advice and statistics have been posted in this thread. Keep helping out that way.

deleted

ETA: yes, this is a hijack, sorry. Stepping out.

Unlikely to happen. I'd consider the DO option, or something else like pharmacy or PA school.

lol you dont know that...

there are several people that get accepted into med school with low MCATs.

one of my friends was accepted to UTMB with a 23.
He enlisted in a grad program and got a 4.0 and did about 100 hours of diverse shadowing.

so it is possible..

MCAT is an barrier and not a decider of fate. OP, I feel if you put all you have into studying for the MCAT you can get a good score. Visit the MCAT section and read some of the sad stories about how person X had to take the test three or four times but did get into med school. Take the study tips that sn2ed put up to heart and/or take a good review course from Princeton review or other test prep company. If you do all that, you can get a good score. After that apply to both programs ( MD and DO) and see what happens. Worst case is you just get rejected and you're out the money you spent to apply. If you are really modivated to be a doctor you will not let any number stop you. Get it done. There is a fix for everything.

SMP may also be an option. Check out the postbacc section.

Last edited: