WAMC: OH Non-trad, ORM 4.0 post-bacc, 3.44cGPA, 3.44sGPA, 520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odin_

Reaction score
4.0 post-bacc 3.44 cGPA 3.44sGPA; Graduated college with finance degree with 3.2 cGPA and 3.2sGPA (multiple bad grades in senior year as I was dumb, immature and knew I had a job lined up), completed 84 post-bacc credits (all science pre-requisites with a 4.0 GPA). 4 year gap from graduating to post-bacc. All of below done in less than 2 years (outside of investment banking lol)

MCAT Score: 520 (132/130/129/129)

OH Resident

Mixed – Indian/White Male

T40 research university

Career:

Investment Banking/Private Equity in NYC and 2 other large cities – 11,000+ hours (3.75 years)

Clinical experience:
1200 hours as scribe (paid) (current)
900 hours – Anesthesia Tech – OR (paid) (current)

Research experience:
400 hours – neurosurgery research – 1 publication, 2 poster/abstract (mid authorship) – still in process on others

50 hours – post-bacc organic chemistry poster presentation

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:

Neurosurgery – 60 hours

Ob/gyn – 30 hours

Family medicine / GI – in process

Eshadowing – 10 hours

Virtual clinic cases – 10 hours

Non-clinical volunteering:
300 hours – Founder and President – 501c3 brain foundation at university

100 hours – Music foundation for childrens hospital

200 hours - Young kid mentor for organization

300 hours – Volunteer golf coach

70 hours – Student government – VP for 1 year

LOR:

Multiple LOR from top directors/MDs at local college of medicine, professors and current bosses

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

600 hours – academy of medicine city – project coordinator and assistant director for neurosurgical society (current)

5,000+ hours – amateur golfer including tournaments

Amateur motorcycle racing (ties into why medicine with crash and hospital stay)

Indoor/outdoor volleyball

Cadaver lab selectee in high school

Study abroad in China – financial markets – in college

Deans list – 6 semesters of post-bacc

Graduate of post-bacc with associates and summa cum laude

Westpoint leadership conference - high school recipient

Balanced man scholar recipient – College

Student spotlight

Finance internships in undergrad college

Applying June 2024

School List:

Case Western University
Ohio State University
NEOMED
OU (OH)
University of Cincinnati
U of Toledo
wright state
wayne state
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Penn State
U of Miami
Temple
Vanderbilt
Johns Hopkins
weill Cornell
Yale
Stanford
Harvard
U Mich
Northwestern
U of Chicago Pritzker
University of Kentucky
u Pitt
boston

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are probably going to get a fair amount of attention. That said, you need to clearly state your mission fit and why the transition away from your previous career. I'm mentally filtering out all your high school activities since they will be less important (except for Eagle Scout things).

NEOMED has a specific mission where I don't think you fit. Are you a geographic fit for UToledo and Wright State?

I would like much more evidence of a social justice orientation especially in your activities for places like Michigan, UChicago, Columbia, and Duke (but you could get their eye if your secondary responses interest them). I actually need to find out if there is enough service orientation in your activities; you have a lot of leadership with your organizational activities, but humble service to others in distress is not apparent from your list.

Reactions: 1 user
You could add any of these schools to your application:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Tufts
Jefferson
USF Morsani
Georgetown
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
You are probably going to get a fair amount of attention. That said, you need to clearly state your mission fit and why the transition away from your previous career. I'm mentally filtering out all your high school activities since they will be less important (except for Eagle Scout things).

NEOMED has a specific mission where I don't think you fit. Are you a geographic fit for UToledo and Wright State?

I would like much more evidence of a social justice orientation especially in your activities for places like Michigan, UChicago, Columbia, and Duke (but you could get their eye if your secondary responses interest them). I actually need to find out if there is enough service orientation in your activities; you have a lot of leadership with your organizational activities, but humble service to others in distress is not apparent from your list.
Appreciate your response here. I am from Southwest / tristate area of Ohio - would appreciate wright state or UToledo geographically speaking as well as mission.

To clarify, will definitely have a clear mission and transition away from finance - high level description - my father is a physician, great grandpa purple heart as indian army medic, mom first responder - always been around medicine (close to my heart) and wanted a business education before coming back to healthcare to be able to elevate all physicians. Raised by single mom most of life - Mom had open heart surgery and myself had spine surgery due to motorcycle trauma accident - want to give people a second chance on life like I had, inspired/sparked me to make the jump in 2021.

Services - I have mentored an underprivileged 8 year old for the last 1.8 years. (Big Brothers Big Sisters), the First Tee volunteer coach also includes volunteering time for special olympics. Within academy of med - I am on the advocacy and social reform committees. Music foundation - bring in kids with disabilities and make music in recording studio. Take instruments into hospitals. Am I lacking from a service orientation perspective? Any other holes you see?

Reactions: 1 users