oh my Duodenum!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else vehemently object to memorizing the freaking digestion enzymes......

Members don't see this ad.

Eat - enterokinase
Tender - trypsin
Chicken - chymotrypsin
Chunks - carboxypeptidase
Elegantly - elastase

;)
I love nemonics!

I think they're not too bad compared to hormones. They all come from the pancreas, and you know what they work on (digesting macromolecules: fat, carbs and protein). So it's just memorizing a bunch of names (and knowing that trypsin activates all the other zymogens).

Hormones on the other hand... you need to know:
what their name is
what type of molecule they are and consequently how they act (steroid, peptide, tyrosine derivative)
where they are made
where they act on
what their effects are
what induces their release
what functions as negative feedback for their inhibition

Much more painful :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Hormones are one of my favorite things to get questions about in the MCAT. I got that stuff down cold. I need to rereview the kidney again though, cuz the kidney anatomy keeps messing me up. I have a basic idea but then I keep forgetting some minor details.

But I need to work more on getting Physical science speed up.
Same here Guju.

i don't think you actually have to memorize all the different enzymes.

Omyss said:
i don't think you actually have to memorize all the different enzymes.

I know I'm not, lol! EK didn't stress what they do, just know them. Only amylase and lipase are the only two enzymes I think I'll even care about.

Hormones are more important imo, but EK made it easy to learn. Just remember that HCG is also a peptide hormone, which wasn't under the bold lists of the beginning of the lesson.

geno2568 said:
if yur having problems with this now, wait till med school

wow, thanks!! (waits till medical school patiently).. thanks bud!! :thumbdown:

I thought that the title "oh my duodenum!" would add some levity to my post; apparently not for you. my advice for you, please relax ur anal sphincter :thumbup:

OCPreMed said:
wow, thanks!! (waits till medical school patiently).. thanks bud!! :thumbdown:

I thought that the title "oh my duodenum!" would add some levity to my post; apparently not for you. my advice for you, please relax ur anal sphincter :thumbup:

I laughed when I saw your title. New Family Guy Sept 10th!

life without family guy is no life at all

pertaining to the question, maybe try drawing it all out? or you could just blow off this section and memorize only five of them like I did

I like the pneumonic for the pituitary better:
FSH
LH
ACTH
TSH

Prolactin
I (nothing here :( )
GH

Sorry in advance if you test with me and I laugh after saying "flat pig" to myself.