"Oh, you're just PMR..."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mog16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-My vascular surgery attending upon realizing I was 'just' the PMR intern on service and not a surgery intern.

Well...I guess I'm cool with that, lower expectations mean they'll be even more impressed when 'just PMR' interns exceed them :)

Members don't see this ad.

Relax, bro. You're a doctor now, not a medical student. Do the progress notes, the H&P's, the pre-ops, the discharges, answer the pages from the nurses, and don't call in sick unless you're dying, and you'll get stellar evaluations. There's no need to impress them with your knowledge of Ranson's criteria for pancreatitis, or volunteer for the OR to show how much you really love surgery because they don't care about that.

I've seen people try to rise above their station on these off-service rotations who ended up biting off more than they could chew. Be careful if you choose to challenge these surgeons, whether they are interns, residents, or attendings, at their own game.

Reactions: 1 users
Relax, bro. You're a doctor now, not a medical student. Do the progress notes, the H&P's, the pre-ops, the discharges, answer the pages from the nurses, and don't call in sick unless you're dying, and you'll get stellar evaluations. There's no need to impress them with your knowledge of Ranson's criteria for pancreatitis, or volunteer for the OR to show how much you really love surgery because they don't care about that.

I've seen people try to rise above their station on these off-service rotations who ended up biting off more than they could chew. Be careful if you choose to challenge these surgeons, whether they are interns, residents, or attendings, at their own game.

Good advice, I appreciate it. I have no intentions of challenging them and really would prefer to just keep my head down and get my work done. I just found it funny he said that.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have different expectations for their categorical residents. They won't waste too much time with surgical detail for you but try and teach you relevant information you may need.

Good advice, I appreciate it. I have no intentions of challenging them and really would prefer to just keep my head down and get my work done. I just found it funny he said that.
You're surprised a vascular surgery attending looks down on what is highly considered a lifestyle specialty like PM&R? Really?

You're surprised a vascular surgery attending looks down on what is highly considered a lifestyle specialty like PM&R? Really?

Unnecessary trolling. Mods please remove.

OP - you will meet nice and mean people in just about any field. Even 'lifestyle' fields have them too. Any field you can have as good or as bad a lifestyle as you wish, i.e. private practice set your own limits.

Unnecessary trolling. Mods please remove.

OP - you will meet nice and mean people in just about any field. Even 'lifestyle' fields have them too. Any field you can have as good or as bad a lifestyle as you wish, i.e. private practice set your own limits.
I'm not trolling. I'm in a lifestyle field myself. I'm saying Surgeons (esp. in Vascular which is very lifestyle unfriendly) denigrates every field below theirs. Best solution is not to care at all what they think.

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a broad generalization but okay. And yes i do agree with you don't worry what others think.

4th year here. I am just finishing up a Trauma surgery elective. I have faced this same indifference during the last few weeks when they found out I wasn't going to be a CT surgeon. After working 11 straight 13 hour days I frankly wish they would have lower expectations for me :) I has been funny though when one of their patients presents with stroke like symptoms and I do a thorough neuro exam. They can't help but show their surprise when I describe the location of the stroke via exam findings. However, that's about the only thing I do that impresses them :laugh: