Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana??? Please help

Started by dreast04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dreast04

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are your opinions on Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana College of Optometry? In particular I am interested in the cities... do they have good night life? are they safe? what are the professors like? what are the students like? what are the optometry building(s) like? Is there a way around the steep tuition for Indiana and Ohio for out-of-staters? I have heard that Ohio is in a yucky city and the classes are in the basements, Indiana is impossible to pay for if your out of state, and Michigan is in a boring small town and everything is located in lightly renovated dorms.... Please help
 
but yeah the out of staters pay insane amounts! i can only tell you about IU - i spent 6 weeks there for research. it lacks diversity (the city, i really couldn't judge the school because it was summer) everyone was really nice. bloomington is really pretty, but 40 miles to the major higher and 40 minutes to indionapolis - the big city.

for me, a bay area girl by way of east la - it was kinda small. not much to do (you'll have no time anyway, so this might not be a bad thing), the faculty i met were really nice and i did grow to love the program. in the end i chose a school closer to home, but i did consider IU (but damn - it would have been expensive)

you should really visit all the schools to get a better feel for them - yeah it will cost money, but knowing you made the right choice will be worth it🙂 -
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can tell you about Bloomington as well. I would think of it as a smaller city with a big city feel. I've got four years of experience in Btown. The usual things are present as its connected to a large university. Newsweek rated indiana "Red Hot" for the college experience. There is a ton of diversity here and you can go to a restaurant from any ethnic group imaginable. The school of optometry is completely located in a single building, which I found nice. No running from place to place.

I think the night life is fine, plenty of great bars and a few clubs. The student association is quite active with activities as well. Several states have contract seats with IU to give you an in-state price. I at least know Kentucky and Nebraska do. Its a great school and beautiful campus. Don't know if it helps but good luck. I would definitely visit all the schools and see if you like the "feel".​
 
What are your opinions on Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana College of Optometry? In particular I am interested in the cities... do they have good night life? are they safe? what are the professors like? what are the students like? what are the optometry building(s) like? Is there a way around the steep tuition for Indiana and Ohio for out-of-staters? I have heard that Ohio is in a yucky city and the classes are in the basements, Indiana is impossible to pay for if your out of state, and Michigan is in a boring small town and everything is located in lightly renovated dorms.... Please help


Have you applied to all three or are you intending on applying for next year? I've heard good things about Bloomington, Michigan lets very few non-residents in in (6 out of 39 accepted in 2006), and Ohio State is my #1 b/c I'm from Columbus. The city is definitely what you make it to be.
 
My brother is currently in his 2nd year at MCO and yes, Big Rapids is probably the most boring city of all optometry schools. However, distractions are therefore minimal and allow for more study time. The costs are especially cheap for in-state students and fair for out of state. If you're looking for a good bar scene and other activities, MCO is probably not for you based on what my brother and his classmates have told me. However, if you're looking for an inexpensive four years without the distractions of having a good time, MCO is the place for you.