Ohio Ophthalmology Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNeb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am applying for Ophtho this year and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the programs in Ohio? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MNeb said:
Hi,

I am applying for Ophtho this year and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the programs in Ohio? Thanks!

Cleveland Clinic is a very renound program. Case Western does not quite have the same reputation. Their residents are pretty spread out across a VA, county and the university hospital. Their residents seemed to be pretty happy.

rubensan said:
Cleveland Clinic is a very renound program. Case Western does not quite have the same reputation. Their residents are pretty spread out across a VA, county and the university hospital. Their residents seemed to be pretty happy.

Do you know anything about summa's program in akron?

Members don't see this ad :)
tatabox80 said:
Do you know anything about summa's program in akron?

I interviewed there last year. The surgical volume seemed pretty good and the residents get to do lasik/cosmetic procedures. I think they were also the only program I went to where the residents had their own clinic patients. I remember everyone being friendly and the residents seemed very happy.For me the drawback was the location (Akron,OH). I agree that Cleveland Clinic has a great rep but it seemed like a malignant atmosphere and their chairman (Lewis) didn't hit me as being resident-friendly.

golgi said:
I interviewed there last year. The surgical volume seemed pretty good and the residents get to do lasik/cosmetic procedures. I think they were also the only program I went to where the residents had their own clinic patients. I remember everyone being friendly and the residents seemed very happy.For me the drawback was the location (Akron,OH). I agree that Cleveland Clinic has a great rep but it seemed like a malignant atmosphere and their chairman (Lewis) didn't hit me as being resident-friendly.

Cleveland clinic's program has high national ranking, but in my opinion, has poor practical training. Most patients are private patients seen by attendings and there is no fully resident run clinic. They also have no county or VA affiliation other than the hospital they share with the case western reserve program. In my opinion a good program should have a "resident run" clinic staffed by an attending. Over there, they have a "attending run" clinic staffed by a resident.

I heard from a resident that there was poor surgical volume. During the interview process, the department makes it clear that they are looking for tomorrow's "academic ophthalmologists" and seek to recruit those who are interested in research, both clinical or bench. I was skeptical during my interview whether their research push for residents was a result of a genuine belief by the department in its importance or by a lack of primary responsibilities towards patients on the part of the residents. Remember, Cleveland Clinic is a national and worldwide referral center and many of the cases that do come are the rarer ones and so are led by attendings.