Ohio Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmonti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am attending a medical school in Ohio next year but I am out of state originally. I know that most out of state students establish residency in ohio once they have lived there for 12 months, but after reading all the terms and conditions, I understand that I must be completely on my own and financially independant for that year. This is all fine with me considering that I will be taking out huge loans to cover the cost of my first year tuition as it is, but my question is, if I have to be completely financially independant without the help of my parents or anything (who live in a different state), can I not bring my car with me to school since "they bought it for me"? What about car insurance? If I keep my insurance on my dad's, then it will be much cheaper than if I have my own insurance. I am pretty sure that I have to pay for insurance on my own in order to be "financially independant" but I don't understand what students do who already have a car that they didn't exactly purchase themselves? What did previous out of staters do who now go to school in Ohio? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am attending a medical school in Ohio next year but I am out of state originally. I know that most out of state students establish residency in ohio once they have lived there for 12 months, but after reading all the terms and conditions, I understand that I must be completely on my own and financially independant for that year. This is all fine with me considering that I will be taking out huge loans to cover the cost of my first year tuition as it is, but my question is, if I have to be completely financially independant without the help of my parents or anything (who live in a different state), can I not bring my car with me to school since "they bought it for me"? What about car insurance? If I keep my insurance on my dad's, then it will be much cheaper than if I have my own insurance. I am pretty sure that I have to pay for insurance on my own in order to be "financially independant" but I don't understand what students do who already have a car that they didn't exactly purchase themselves? What did previous out of staters do who now go to school in Ohio? Thanks so much!

I think it just depends on whether they claim you as a dependent on their taxes and if you pay your own taxes. Consult a tax accountant.

You can bring your car with you. You can stay on your parent's insurance. The main thing is that you have an ohio mailing address for at least 12 months to prove your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more/Content/Residency/FAQ_New.htm

^according to this:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If I own or have the use of a car, am I financially responsible for the upkeep, gas, and insurance and reporting it for residency?
Yes. Students are responsible for reporting and being financially capable of paying for the upkeep, gas, and car insurance of a car they either own or have the complete use of during their residency review period. .

May be different depending on which school you're talking about. Honestly, I don't know how they would even keep tabs on this. I'm sure there are ways around it... my best advice to you would be to get in touch with your new medical school's financial aid office, they are immensely helpful with these kinds of things.

I'm in the same boat as you are and I've looked into this pretty thoroughly.

You can bring with you anything that you like (car, pet monkey, 5 ct. diamond) but you must provide all your financial assistance for the year. I believe you could stay on your parent's insurance, though you'd have to update it for moving to a new state. As a previous poster said, you're also responsible for paying for the insurance and upkeep. I don't think you need to show that you actually have your own insurance, but just that you pay for it.

At the end of the year you submit a form and you list your expenses and your sources of income. You don't have to submit individual bills/invoices/receipts or anything. But if they notice that you only spent $200 on food for the year they'll be asking questions.

For the first year you just have to take out in loans everything you need to live. Or it must be money that you have had in your possession for more than one year prior to the first day of classes of your first year of med school. So in my case, I cannot use the money I've earned working these past few months since I haven't had the cash that long. I can, however, save it and use it 2nd year after I establish residency.

I can't really think of any loopholes to be able to have parents help fund our first year. We can make sure we come to school with everything we need for our new apartments.

http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more//Content/Residency/main.htm

Especially see this document:

http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more//Content/Residency/Web_application.pdf

Page 22 shows where you list your income/expenses.

It wasn't a big deal when I did this....

I can tell you that the car I drive technically belongs to my mom (although if need be we could have transferred the title). I paid her and she officially paid insurance, although I don't think the application got that specific.

IIRC, all they really want to see is your own tax returns, a lease with your name on it, I believe you are supposed to have registered to vote but I don't know that you need to have proof of this.

It wasn't too much of a hassle.

It wasn't a big deal when I did this....

I can tell you that the car I drive technically belongs to my mom (although if need be we could have transferred the title). I paid her and she officially paid insurance, although I don't think the application got that specific.

IIRC, all they really want to see is your own tax returns, a lease with your name on it, I believe you are supposed to have registered to vote but I don't know that you need to have proof of this.

It wasn't too much of a hassle.

My advice is to talk to your med school's registrar. They'll tell you what specific forms you need.

You sure you want to establish residency in Ohio? :D
ohio.jpg

What if my parents were going to pay off my undergraduate student loans before medical school started? Could this interfere with establishing Ohio residency? (I would obviously be completely finacially independent through loans when school started)

Your parents can give you $10,000,000 if they want to as long as you don't use it for your living expenses during the 12 months you are trying to establish Ohio residency.

You just have to live on your own Ohio income during your first year.