-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ohio School Thread
Started by TripleDegree
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
UseUrHeadFred said:I am accepted at OSU! I extend my personal thanks to everyone who has assisted others in this thread.
The 12 business day thing worked out! 🙂
Congrats!!! 🙂
UseUrHeadFred said:I am accepted at OSU! I extend my personal thanks to everyone who has assisted others in this thread.
The 12 business day thing worked out! 🙂
Just curious, do you count 12 business days, or just 12 days?
I interviewed there a few days ago - and can hardly wait.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TripleDegree said:Just curious, do you count 12 business days, or just 12 days?
I interviewed there a few days ago - and can hardly wait.
12 business days unfortunately
bqj said:yeah, i may be behind in the game, but I haven't heard at all from OSU. do you think most of the interview invitations have been sent out?
No, they are still interviewing. OSU notified me just yesterday of an interview invitation for 12/15. I've been complete there since the end of July, so for some applicants OSU responds REALLY slowly.
OSU was a great interview. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facilities - I knew Columbus was great, and the ISP is pretty cool for a family man, but the new clinical learning facility was unexpected.
In other news, I have my first acceptance, from UCincinnati 👍
In other news, I have my first acceptance, from UCincinnati 👍
congrats!!!liverotcod said:OSU was a great interview. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facilities - I knew Columbus was great, and the ISP is pretty cool for a family man, but the new clinical learning facility was unexpected.
In other news, I have my first acceptance, from UCincinnati 👍
we all knew it was just a matter of time, didn't we 😉 hopefully you rocked your osu interview so we may be classmates someday (the probability of me going to UC is, well, small)
That is awesome! Hopefully soon I will be able to join you with that first acceptance (OSU interview on Monday). Congratulations, and send some luckliverotcod said:OSU was a great interview. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facilities - I knew Columbus was great, and the ISP is pretty cool for a family man, but the new clinical learning facility was unexpected.
In other news, I have my first acceptance, from UCincinnati 👍
my way.Hey guys,
I have a unique situation, I am a non traditional student and I did all my prerequisites at a community college and I have a bachelors from a foregin university. I am invited for an interview at Case 🙂 , but now while I am going through their website, I saw that all the prerequisites MUST be done at a four year degree college. How is this going to effect my admission? And also on their class profile it was written that foregin students must have a four year degree from a US or Canadian School. Even though I am not a US citizen, I am a permanent resident. So I guess I am not considered as a foregin applicant. Every thing looks so confused 😕 😕 . I will call admissions tomorrow. Meanwhile if anybody can share any ideas, I can sleep peacefully tonight.
Thanks in advance.
I have a unique situation, I am a non traditional student and I did all my prerequisites at a community college and I have a bachelors from a foregin university. I am invited for an interview at Case 🙂 , but now while I am going through their website, I saw that all the prerequisites MUST be done at a four year degree college. How is this going to effect my admission? And also on their class profile it was written that foregin students must have a four year degree from a US or Canadian School. Even though I am not a US citizen, I am a permanent resident. So I guess I am not considered as a foregin applicant. Every thing looks so confused 😕 😕 . I will call admissions tomorrow. Meanwhile if anybody can share any ideas, I can sleep peacefully tonight.
Thanks in advance.
this is for all you folks that have interviewed at CCLCM. i think i might have asked this before, but i'll ask again (b/c i can't remember): do you find out who your interviewers are at CCLCM before the interview day? i have an interview there next monday - any advice? i'm thinking that since there will be two interviews, one will be with an MD and the other with a PhD. can someone confirm this? thanks for your responses. 😀
superdevil said:congrats!!!![]()
we all knew it was just a matter of time, didn't we 😉
hopefully you rocked your osu interview so we may be classmates someday (the probability of me going to UC is, well, small)
Not to be dissing OSU, but have you seen OSU's reviews on the AMSA website? Definitely not impressive....
DocMizzle said:Not to be dissing OSU, but have you seen OSU's reviews on the AMSA website? Definitely not impressive....
have you been there in person? talked to professors? students? alumni? toured the facilities? definitely impressive.
striped sweater said:have you been there in person? talked to professors? students? alumni? toured the facilities? definitely impressive.
I really liked it, too. I suppose everyone has different expectations and criteria, but I gotta say, don't knock it till you've tried it.
Firsthand experience is probably better than reading blatherings on the net--like my post for instance!
ditto.striped sweater said:have you been there in person? talked to professors? students? alumni? toured the facilities? definitely impressive.
seriously, i go by what i see. first, cincy is still going through a lot of construction/growing pains--although its a very good school. osu has already gone through those growing pains--everything there is close, nice, new, etc. cincy reminded me a lot of upitt; it was a school where i said to myself, "man, this place is going to be sweet...when i'm a 4th year." 🙄 places like case/osu/wake that have finished/don't need construction are very attractive to me. its just a simple preference.
and speaking of preferences, i've always preferred columbus over cincinnati. i just never liked cincy as a city (nothing to do with the med school).
not that UC isn't a great med school, and not that there's NO chance i would go there, but it ain't a top choice in my book.
I was also quite suprised - expected OSU to beat Cincy hands down in a lot of things, but actually I came away thinking that the latter had its act down a little btter.
- Better (and dedicated library) in UC, no dedicated med library in OSU
- Established SIM-model in UC, newly introduced model in OSU, teething pains
- polished presentation of curriculum in UC, slick presenter - vs. adhoc discussion of program at OSU
- 4/cadaver in UC vs 6/cad in OSU
- great hospitals to rotate at in UC (childrens, church)
- Though I must say the tote bags/water bottles were a nice touch for OSU 🙂
- Better (and dedicated library) in UC, no dedicated med library in OSU
- Established SIM-model in UC, newly introduced model in OSU, teething pains
- polished presentation of curriculum in UC, slick presenter - vs. adhoc discussion of program at OSU
- 4/cadaver in UC vs 6/cad in OSU
- great hospitals to rotate at in UC (childrens, church)
- Though I must say the tote bags/water bottles were a nice touch for OSU 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tiddly of Winks said:I really liked it, too. I suppose everyone has different expectations and criteria, but I gotta say, don't knock it till you've tried it.
Firsthand experience is probably better than reading blatherings on the net--like my post for instance!
I agree about the first-hand experience part, but nobody will get that until they are actually attending the school.
The AMSA reviews, however, are from actual OSU medical students. I was simply stating that the review scores on many of the sections were not impressive.
BTW striped sweater I have seen the facilities, and although nice, the aesthetic quality of buildings are pretty much last on my list of things to look for in a medical school.
DocMizzle said:BTW striped sweater I have seen the facilities, and although nice, the aesthetic quality of buildings are pretty much last on my list of things to look for in a medical school.
huh? did i say something about aesthetics? you must have been referring to someone else. (when i said impressive i was not talking about the buildings)
striped sweater said:huh? did i say something about aesthetics? you must have been referring to someone else. (when i said impressive i was not talking about the buildings)
Sorry, referring to superdevil's comments on "nice, new" facilities.
i'm not sure if you're trying to make me sound shallow or something because i'm not a huge fan of your 1st choice school, but i was referring to the fact that i'm allergic to traffic/construction rather than horny for pretty new buildings. what's the deal, bro?DocMizzle said:Sorry, referring to superdevil's comments on "nice, new" facilities.
how did this turn into an osu vs. UC thread, anyway?
DocMizzle said:Sorry, referring to superdevil's comments on "nice, new" facilities.
Actually, I think nice, new facilities should be a very important consideration for choosing a school. At least for me they are. I know that there are OTHER important considerations as well, but the quality of the facilities certainly speaks volumes about the quality of the medical school in my opinion. Certainly this should not be the ONLY consideration, of course, but good facilities/positive growth/pride in upkeep, etc. speak volumes--far more than a handful of questionable AMSA ratings which, for all we know, could have been written by a single disguntled person.
you know, i've read the AMSA reviews for each school i've been accepted to. they're interesting, but that's all. i view them kind of like SDN and MDApplicants.com; amusing, occassionally insightful, but best taken with a grain of salt.curiouslygeorge said:good facilities/positive growth/pride in upkeep, etc. speak volumes--far more than a handful of questionable AMSA ratings which, for all we know, could have been written by a single disguntled person.
superdevil said:you know, i've read the AMSA reviews for each school i've been accepted to. they're interesting, but that's all. i view them kind of like SDN and MDApplicants.com; amusing, occassionally insightful, but best taken with a grain of salt.
We could spend the afternoon writing glowing reports for OSU at AMSA and bashing the competition just to mix up the ratings, and, of course, keeping it highly scientific. NOTTTTT! Wouldn't waste my time, but the point is... we have no idea WHO posts at AMSA or mdapplicants... or even here on SDN for that matter. Nice that people are so trusting! By the way, I got a 47 on the MCAT! Don't ask me how!

curiouslygeorge said:By the way, I got a 47 on the MCAT! Don't ask me how!![]()
![]()
![]()
awesome! 👍 congrats! way to go, george! this was on the september mcat, right?

superdevil said:i'm not sure if you're trying to make me sound shallow or something because i'm not a huge fan of your 1st choice school, but i was referring to the fact that i'm allergic to traffic/construction rather than horny for pretty new buildings. what's the deal, bro?
how did this turn into an osu vs. UC thread, anyway?
Hey, not trying to make you sound shallow; if you read back I never made any comparisons b/t UC and OSU, so obviously my intent has nothing to do with my 1st choice school. Actually, my intent was nothing but to bring up the AMSA student review of OSU, which I found interesting for a school that I had previously heard spoken much more highly of by alumni, students.
I also agree that the AMSA site has to be taken with a grain of salt, but one thing the site does provide is standard deviations on each response. Since there were I think 19 responses for OSU, one can gauge an approximate distribution for every resonse based on the SD for that response.
that's cool. i probably just got that impression because you quoted my statement about preferring osu over uc before bringing up osu's suspicious AMSA reviews. no harm done 😉DocMizzle said:Hey, not trying to make you sound shallow; if you read back I never made any comparisons b/t UC and OSU, so obviously my intent has nothing to do with my 1st choice school. Actually, my intent was nothing but to bring up the AMSA student review of OSU, which I found interesting for a school that I had previously heard spoken much more highly of by alumni, students.
I also agree that the AMSA site has to be taken with a grain of salt, but one thing the site does provide is standard deviations on each response. Since there were I think 19 responses for OSU, one can gauge an approximate distribution for every resonse based on the SD for that response.
sd
size_tens said:Any news from MCO? It's been over two weeks since anyone has reported gaining an acceptance.
Yeah - the same goes for Wright State. Only 3 posted acceptances? Come on, surely thats not right.
On another note - for those of you with OSU acceptances, did any of you hear sooner than 2 weeks from the interview date?
TripleDegree said:Yeah - the same goes for Wright State. Only 3 posted acceptances? Come on, surely thats not right.
On another note - for those of you with OSU acceptances, did any of you hear sooner than 2 weeks from the interview date?
I have no idea about MCO, but I interviewed at WSU on 9th and they told that they have an adcom meeting this week and another in 1st week of december.If your WSU interview is before 5th of Nov, then you will hear this week, if it is after that you have to wait for another 2 or 3 weeks.
TripleDegree said:Yeah - the same goes for Wright State. Only 3 posted acceptances? Come on, surely thats not right.
I'm in at both MCO and Wright State, heard from each exactly three weeks after my interview. Decisions, decisions....
*sorry for not posting sooner*
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DocMizzle said:I agree about the first-hand experience part, but nobody will get that until they are actually attending the school.
True, true. Hmmm, I guess I meant second-hand experience (e.g. talking with people who go there). eh, what can I say? I guess it only highlights how little we really know about what we will be doing, regardless of where we go.
TripleDegree said:On another note - for those of you with OSU acceptances, did any of you hear sooner than 2 weeks from the interview date?
I was waitlisted on the 10th business day (exactly 2 weeks, wed. - wed.) and then accepted on the next monday (yesterday). i'm psyched...but also confused about being waitlisted for 5 days ?!?!
saving from page 5...
Cincy has rolling admissions.ravi said:Hi guys,
Just now I found out that I got an interview at u.cinny on january 10th 🙂 🙂 . Does U.Cinny has rolling admissions? I think january 10th is kinda late in the process, what do you think? (ofcourse, I will go 😀 )
liverotcod said:Cincy has rolling admissions.
Do you have any idea when they start interviewing for waitlisting spots?
ravi said:Do you have any idea when they start interviewing for waitlisting spots?
I'm sure they will still have some admission spots left in January, although how many is anyone's guess. Just rock your interview and hope for the best!
DocMizzle said:I'm sure they will still have some admission spots left in January, although how many is anyone's guess. Just rock your interview and hope for the best!
Thank you. 🙂
Ravi,ravi said:Thank you. 🙂
Please check your PM.
ravi said:Hi guys,
Just now I found out that I got an interview at u.cinny on january 10th 🙂 🙂 . Does U.Cinny has rolling admissions? I think january 10th is kinda late in the process, what do you think? (ofcourse, I will go 😀 )
Will miss you by one day. Just found out that mine is on Jan 11th. 🙂 Anyone know if they are willing to reschedule it?
I'm getting a feeling I'm going to be matriculating to OSU.
Not 100% yet, but...
They were super professional to us interviewees. They did everything they said they would, the way they said they would, when they said they would. The very picture of efficiency.
The staff were enthusiastic, the students even more so - our group happened to be sitting in the lobby when the M2s got out of class. A bunch of them walked up and told us how cool the place was - apparently of their own accord. No zombie-like students saying that "it's hard, but you have to do it" like I've seen in many schools.
The clinical skills lab rocks hard. The choice of pathways rocks harder. Flexibility is good.
Columbus isn't too far from home for me. I-70 is easy driving. Even better: It's not too close, either!
It has a degree of prestige. I really couldn't care less, but hey, it can't hurt.
The Downside: Cost. I'm afraid I'll have an MI every time I even think about the "estimated cost of attendance". In fact, I'd better stop thinking about it right now.
Not 100% yet, but...
They were super professional to us interviewees. They did everything they said they would, the way they said they would, when they said they would. The very picture of efficiency.
The staff were enthusiastic, the students even more so - our group happened to be sitting in the lobby when the M2s got out of class. A bunch of them walked up and told us how cool the place was - apparently of their own accord. No zombie-like students saying that "it's hard, but you have to do it" like I've seen in many schools.
The clinical skills lab rocks hard. The choice of pathways rocks harder. Flexibility is good.
Columbus isn't too far from home for me. I-70 is easy driving. Even better: It's not too close, either!
It has a degree of prestige. I really couldn't care less, but hey, it can't hurt.
The Downside: Cost. I'm afraid I'll have an MI every time I even think about the "estimated cost of attendance". In fact, I'd better stop thinking about it right now.
UseUrHeadFred said:I'm getting a feeling I'm going to be matriculating to OSU.
Not 100% yet, but...
They were super professional to us interviewees. They did everything they said they would, the way they said they would, when they said they would. The very picture of efficiency.
The staff were enthusiastic, the students even more so - our group happened to be sitting in the lobby when the M2s got out of class. A bunch of them walked up and told us how cool the place was - apparently of their own accord. No zombie-like students saying that "it's hard, but you have to do it" like I've seen in many schools.
The clinical skills lab rocks hard. The choice of pathways rocks harder. Flexibility is good.
Columbus isn't too far from home for me. I-70 is easy driving. Even better: It's not too close, either!
It has a degree of prestige. I really couldn't care less, but hey, it can't hurt.
The Downside: Cost. I'm afraid I'll have an MI every time I even think about the "estimated cost of attendance". In fact, I'd better stop thinking about it right now.
i remember the 65K first year budget for out of staters. that scared the poop out of me.
Anyone interviewed at OSU on Nov 15?
Hey ravi and premedgeek,
How did cincy notify you guys for the interview? Email or through the status page? Haha I've been sitting here these last couple of months and the status page hasn't changed all that much.... just wondering if I should give them a call to see where I'm at? 😀
Thanks in advance!
ImmunoRocks
How did cincy notify you guys for the interview? Email or through the status page? Haha I've been sitting here these last couple of months and the status page hasn't changed all that much.... just wondering if I should give them a call to see where I'm at? 😀
Thanks in advance!
ImmunoRocks
ImmunoRocks said:Hey ravi and premedgeek,
How did cincy notify you guys for the interview? Email or through the status page? Haha I've been sitting here these last couple of months and the status page hasn't changed all that much.... just wondering if I should give them a call to see where I'm at? 😀
I have an interview at Cincy on Tuesday. I first found out about it on the status page - It said "We are pleased to schedule you for an interview on . . . .". I got an e-mail from them a few days after that, asking me to confirm that I would be coming and then earlier this week I got a packet via snail mail with a letter saying basically the same thing as the e-mail, maps, directions, hotel info, a schedule, a list of students willing to host out-of-town applicants, etc.
If it has been awhile since you were complete, I would call. My application was complete the end of October, and I heard within two weeks of that.
Amy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On another note - about how long is it taking the other Ohio schools to notify you one way or the other after your application is complete? I got a letter from MCO saying that my app was complete, but nothing else yet. Haven't heard anything at all from NEOUCOM (other than an e-mail because I forgot to enclose the check with my app 😱 ). Wright State's server was down for over a week (I e-mailed them because the status page still said my LOR's weren't there a good week after I knew they should have been there) and it took them about another week to catch up with updating.
Yet another tangent - anyone else have problems with Ohio State classifying them as "out of state"? I was initially classified that way, despite the fact that I am currently enrolled as an Ohio resident. I got the problem fixed, but I hope that little snafu didn't get my app thrown into the non-resident pile. Maybe I will wander over to Meiling and ask admissions.
Good luck all!
Yet another tangent - anyone else have problems with Ohio State classifying them as "out of state"? I was initially classified that way, despite the fact that I am currently enrolled as an Ohio resident. I got the problem fixed, but I hope that little snafu didn't get my app thrown into the non-resident pile. Maybe I will wander over to Meiling and ask admissions.
Good luck all!
AmyBEMT said:On another note - about how long is it taking the other Ohio schools to notify you one way or the other after your application is complete? I got a letter from MCO saying that my app was complete, but nothing else yet. Haven't heard anything at all from NEOUCOM (other than an e-mail because I forgot to enclose the check with my app 😱 ). Wright State's server was down for over a week (I e-mailed them because the status page still said my LOR's weren't there a good week after I knew they should have been there) and it took them about another week to catch up with updating.
NEOUCOM was a bit slow on the confirmation, but they do send a postal letter to let you know you're complete. They have interviews coming up in December (which I know becuase I had to reschedule the November date they gave me) but they aren't sending out invites until either right before or right after Thanksgiving (I think they said).
Anyone interview at MCO in late Oct.? If so, have you heard back from them yet? At the interview, they said 2 to 3 weeks. Yesterday marked 4 weeks after the interview. Does it look bad if I call about the status of my application?
Jason
Jason
Jason110 said:Anyone interview at MCO in late Oct.? If so, have you heard back from them yet? At the interview, they said 2 to 3 weeks. Yesterday marked 4 weeks after the interview. Does it look bad if I call about the status of my application?
Jason
I interviewed at MCO a few days after you and have yet to hear back also. I considered calling to ask about my status but decided against it. From the acceptance thread it appears that you're already holding a spot at UC. Would you really consider attending MCO over UC? just curious
It doesn't hurt to call to find out your status at MCO. The admissions folk are quiet pleasant and understanding (most of the time). Just don't be calling every day.
Best of luck to all the MCO applicants out there.
👍
Regards,
-Salty
Best of luck to all the MCO applicants out there.
👍
Regards,
-Salty
Similar threads
- Replies
- 89
- Views
- 13K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 356