-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ohio School Thread
Started by TripleDegree
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Art Vandalay said:Anyone hear on decisions from Cincinnati lately? Any January interviewees hear back yet?
Yep, waitlisted 🙁 . Interviewed on jan 10.
ravi said:Yep, waitlisted 🙁 . Interviewed on jan 10.
I'm sorry about that ravi. When did you hear back? I had my interview on the 11th... I guess I'll find out this week. I've been checking the status page... not change. Sounds like all they have are spots on the waitlist... 👎
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Art Vandalay said:I'm sorry about that ravi. When did you hear back? I had my interview on the 11th... I guess I'll find out this week. I've been checking the status page... not change. Sounds like all they have are spots on the waitlist... 👎
My status page was updated last wednesday and I received the official letter today. Generally they update their website on Wednesdays.
DrThom said:Hey Ohio State folks!
Anyone going to second look day on April 2nd?
Im not sure yet. I live here in columbus, go to OSU, and definately will be going to medschool here, so i'd feel kinda rediculous going to a second look day. On the other hand, I know very little about the medical school here and would be really excited to hear more. It amazing how you can be so close to it, yet never go in etc. So i'm guessing i'll go, just to see a little more of what it will be like. Plus, the free food cant hurt. 😀
Ranger47 said:Has anyone been accepted off the OSU waitlist? I know its early, but their website says we could get in at any time in the application process. Any tricks to getting off the OSU waitlist? Thanks!
I got accepted off of the Ohio State waitlist in December (interview in early Oct).
All I did was print off that form confirming my place in the alternate pool and mail it in. No contact after that and two months later, they let me in. Go figure.
lis79 said:Is Ohio State done giving out interviews? I turned in my sec in Sep. and still have not received any word? Thanks! 🙁
You know, I'm in the same boat... complete in late September.. haven't heard a word. The status page hasn't changed. Two weeks ago, I decided I'd give up hope. We'll see.
my fiance got an invite last week and we were complete mid/early nov.
i however heard nothing :-(
i however heard nothing :-(
JimmyPopAli said:You know, I'm in the same boat... complete in late September.. haven't heard a word. The status page hasn't changed. Two weeks ago, I decided I'd give up hope. We'll see.
To my surprise, I recieved an invite last week to OSU for March, and my app was complete in October.
I interviewed at the end of November. Its good to hear there is movement. Thanks for the input!DrThom said:I got accepted off of the Ohio State waitlist in December (interview in early Oct).
All I did was print off that form confirming my place in the alternate pool and mail it in. No contact after that and two months later, they let me in. Go figure.
i interviewed at ohio state last week and one of the first things they did was try to assure us that we weren't interviewing for waitlist spots. i dont know how many actual spots are left in the class by now... but it was nice anyhow.
well they told me the same thing when i interviewed there in mid Jan. However, they could say that if there was just one or two open spots.
I was waitlisted/deferred but OSU usually has quite a bit of movement towards the end o f the cycle when the top 20 schools finally finish their admissions work
I was waitlisted/deferred but OSU usually has quite a bit of movement towards the end o f the cycle when the top 20 schools finally finish their admissions work
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ribbi_j said:darnnnnnnnn it. I'm sure there are many in my boat hoping hoping hoping. I really want this place as an option - my desire has grown a lot towards becoming a buckeye
bump to page 1
Anyone get email from their interviewer(ohio state) asking if you have any questions about the school?
No other schools have done that. I feel welcomed at ohio state, and most likely will attend in fall.
No other schools have done that. I feel welcomed at ohio state, and most likely will attend in fall.
I have not gotten an email 🙁 🙁premedgeek said:Anyone get email from their interviewer(ohio state) asking if you have any questions about the school?
No other schools have done that. I feel welcomed at ohio state, and most will attend in fall.
However, I did interview with Dean Batisky and that might have something to do with it.
DrThom said:I have not gotten an email 🙁 🙁
However, I did interview with Dean Batisky and that might have something to do with it.
I am sure its random, and probably doesn't mean anything.
Are you still considering Ohio State (after all other great acceptances you have)?
I am pretty sure I am going there, unless Wash U comes through. Then I have to decide on financial aid package.
I had my interview there a week ago and they told me that almost everyone is being interviewed fort he waitlist. So, it sux for all of us... 🙁 Lotsa luck.
premedgeek said:I am sure its random, and probably doesn't mean anything.
Are you still considering Ohio State (after all other great acceptances you have)?
I am pretty sure I am going there, unless Wash U comes through. Then I have to decide on financial aid package.
Actually, I kinda am.
I am tearing myself up deciding where to go to medical school and Ohio State keeps popping up in my head. I like how it actually felt like a "school", if you know what I mean.
and I like how they lowered first year out of state tuition by 10 grand...
So, yes, It is fighting to be my #1 choice.
Kerrrrrrrrrrrrbumppppppppp
Hey gizang:
Hmmmm. Anyone heard anything recently about OSU's second look weekend (April 2). Is it still on, or did I imagine the whole thing?
Hmmmm. Anyone heard anything recently about OSU's second look weekend (April 2). Is it still on, or did I imagine the whole thing?
I interview in mid march and have now been put on the alternate list. How many people are on this list? How many people usually get accepted from this list? Is it a ranked alternate list?
Well, I'm going, so unless we both have very optimistic imaginations it should be taking place. I hope to see you there. 👍Tiddly of Winks said:Hey gizang:
Hmmmm. Anyone heard anything recently about OSU's second look weekend (April 2). Is it still on, or did I imagine the whole thing?
Tiddly of Winks said:Hey gizang:
Hmmmm. Anyone heard anything recently about OSU's second look weekend (April 2). Is it still on, or did I imagine the whole thing?
As far as I know, it is still on.
SEE YOU ALL THIS WEEKEND!
Tiddly of Winks said:Hey gizang:
Hmmmm. Anyone heard anything recently about OSU's second look weekend (April 2). Is it still on, or did I imagine the whole thing?
it's still going on... we just got emails asking if we wanted to be tour guides. have fun...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the email response I received:epb272000 said:Hey everybody,
I'll be at the OSU Second Look Day on Saturday. I'm just wondering what the expected attire is. Are guys expected to wear a shirt and tie?
The dress is business casual for the Second Look Day. We have a student panel scheduled during the morning presentations - housing will be one of the topics. We will also have additional housing information available at the information tables throughout the day.
Coolbeans, hope to see you all there.
Thanks for the attire info, too--to the nines, my friend, to the nines...
TW
Thanks for the attire info, too--to the nines, my friend, to the nines...
TW
For those of us OSU class of 2009ers who couldn't make it to the 2nd look weekend, could someone help out by giving us a summary as to what went on, what was useful, etc etc.
thanks in advance
thanks in advance
TripleDegree said:For those of us OSU class of 2009ers who couldn't make it to the 2nd look weekend, could someone help out by giving us a summary as to what went on, what was useful, etc etc.
thanks in advance
Morning - We sat around and listened to presentations from the program directors of IP, ISP, PCM, and PD. There was also a Med Student Q&A panel.
Lunch - Admissions committee members walked around and chatted with us about various aspects of the school (One guy who talked with me was really into OSU use of ultrasound and teaching the student how to read ultrasound)
Afternoon - Broke up into different groups where we either
A) Took a tour (or tried to cause it was snowing)
B) Hung around the "Info Fair" which had stuff on housing, fin aid, match lists, military opportunities
C) Toured the Clinical Skills Center (which is VERY COOL by the way, I am impressed)
After that most people cut out but if you were lucky enough to stay they had door prizes and pretty much everyone got something Ohio State to take home with them.
All in all, it was a pretty good day. It was their very first second look but they did a good job their first time out. It was just nice to look at everything again through a zero-pressure atmosphere.
DrThom said:Morning - We sat around and listened to presentations from the program directors of IP, ISP, PCM, and PD. There was also a Med Student Q&A panel.
Lunch - Admissions committee members walked around and chatted with us about various aspects of the school (One guy who talked with me was really into OSU use of ultrasound and teaching the student how to read ultrasound)
Afternoon - Broke up into different groups where we either
A) Took a tour (or tried to cause it was snowing)
B) Hung around the "Info Fair" which had stuff on housing, fin aid, match lists, military opportunities
C) Toured the Clinical Skills Center (which is VERY COOL by the way, I am impressed)
After that most people cut out but if you were lucky enough to stay they had door prizes and pretty much everyone got something Ohio State to take home with them.
All in all, it was a pretty good day. It was their very first second look but they did a good job their first time out. It was just nice to look at everything again through a zero-pressure atmosphere.
I know who you are... wmahaha.
I liked it a lot, too. Dr. Batisky was an excellent speaker and very approachable.
Pen 15 club for life, boyz
Hello all,
I just have a quick question: I have a friend who mentioned not applying to Ohio schools because of an in-state residency requirement post graduation. I was wondering if this was true, if it was something that has been phased out or perhaps even never existed?
Thanks!
I just have a quick question: I have a friend who mentioned not applying to Ohio schools because of an in-state residency requirement post graduation. I was wondering if this was true, if it was something that has been phased out or perhaps even never existed?
Thanks!
Tiddly of Winks said:I know who you are... wmahaha.
I liked it a lot, too. Dr. Batisky was an excellent speaker and very approachable.
Pen 15 club for life, boyz![]()
I know who you are too....wmahahaa
....I think..... 😕
DrThom said:Morning - We sat around and listened to presentations from the program directors of IP, ISP, PCM, and PD. There was also a Med Student Q&A panel.
Lunch - Admissions committee members walked around and chatted with us about various aspects of the school (One guy who talked with me was really into OSU use of ultrasound and teaching the student how to read ultrasound)
Afternoon - Broke up into different groups where we either
A) Took a tour (or tried to cause it was snowing)
B) Hung around the "Info Fair" which had stuff on housing, fin aid, match lists, military opportunities
C) Toured the Clinical Skills Center (which is VERY COOL by the way, I am impressed)
After that most people cut out but if you were lucky enough to stay they had door prizes and pretty much everyone got something Ohio State to take home with them.
All in all, it was a pretty good day. It was their very first second look but they did a good job their first time out. It was just nice to look at everything again through a zero-pressure atmosphere.
thanks man that was helpful
Batisky was a great speaker, as he always is (heard him several times...great guy). The various program directors were ok, but somewhat long and boring. That being said, it was usefull to get into some detail about the curiculum. The busses were shutdown for the capital city marathon, preventing us from taking a tour (raining/snowing). Since I go here now, that was not particularly dissapointing for me, but I know others really wanted to see the whole campus, which really is something to see, especially in terms of size. The best part really was just getting to meet some potential future classmates. Most of the people I met seemed pretty cool. Oh, and that dummy they have in the clinical skills center is fantastic...what a cool toy.
Oh, and Tripledegree, the ISP director mentioned that someone finished the ISP in november of the second year this year. (I think I remember you inquireing about finishing early....some time back?)
Oh, and Tripledegree, the ISP director mentioned that someone finished the ISP in november of the second year this year. (I think I remember you inquireing about finishing early....some time back?)
pem8erly said:I just have a quick question: I have a friend who mentioned not applying to Ohio schools because of an in-state residency requirement post graduation. I was wondering if this was true, if it was something that has been phased out or perhaps even never existed?
To the best of my knowledge, this is not true. In fact, from what I've heard, Ohio is one of the easiest states to gain residency for tuition purposes (usually after the first year you can pay in-state tuition). I have never heard of any requirement to stay in-state after graduation. If you look at residency match lists, a good number of Ohio grads match out of state.
AmyBEMT said:To the best of my knowledge, this is not true. In fact, from what I've heard, Ohio is one of the easiest states to gain residency for tuition purposes (usually after the first year you can pay in-state tuition). I have never heard of any requirement to stay in-state after graduation. If you look at residency match lists, a good number of Ohio grads match out of state.
thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
didn't want to read through 38 pages, is there a private chat group for Ohio State people? If not we should get one going to get pumped for the start of school. Let me know.
didn't want to read through 38 pages, is there a private chat group for Ohio State people? If not we should get one going to get pumped for the start of school. Let me know.
jmchakedis said:Hi all,
didn't want to read through 38 pages, is there a private chat group for Ohio State people? If not we should get one going to get pumped for the start of school. Let me know.
There's an official OSU thread if that's what you mean...
http://forums.drslounge.com/showthread.php?t=163511 👍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 337