• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Ohio State MEDPATH post Bacc Program

CagedBird

Don't Worry, Be Happy
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
  1. Medical Student
    Hello, I applied to the MEDPATH but withdrew my application. It looks like a great program though, you do the postbac program for a year and then upon successful completion of the requirements, you enter the med school. The only drawback is that you have to take the MCAT again during the program :mad: BUT OSU is a great school and it's worth it. There is a separate application which should have been in your status update email. From what I understood, you interview with the college of medicine adcom and everything so you have conditional acceptance into the med school. If you go to the medpath website, there is a story about a young guy who chose to do the MEDPATH instead of entering med school and he is very successful (now neurosurgery resident at UMich). He attributes his success to doing the MEDPATH program, which he says prepared him for the rigor of medical school. If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact the program director (name listed on the website)...she is really good about responding to emails. :)
    Hope this helps!!

About the Ads

boomerang

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 21, 2005
    1. Pre-Medical
      If anyone has attended the program or had any interviews please explain. I was rejected from the college of Medicine, but was strongly urged to apply to the MEDPATH program. thanks,,,,,

Usually when the adcoms don't think your stats or you for that matter will cut it in med school, they invite you to apply to their Medpath program. If you are accepted then you have to take upper level science courses AND they pay for you to take a prep course (TPR) to retake the MCAT. You have to re-take the MCAT and do equal to or better than a 24 (don't quote me) AND meet a GPA requirement.

I have two friends who did Medpath and made the cut for the med school class. They are finishing their second year at Ohio.

You should do it, it helps a lot.

GoingDaDistance

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Dec 1, 2006
      Los Angeles ---> Columbus, Ohio.
      1. Medical Student
        I just submitted my application. When reading the website i did not see/read anything in regards to taking the MCAT again... Are you guys sure? have a link that would lead me to that info?

Also, anyone interview yet? if so, how long did it take to get an interview from when you mailed in your application?

Thanks!

premedsoldja

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Nov 6, 2005
        1. Pre-Medical
          I just applied too, I want this program almost more than I do acceptances at U.S. med schools. This program would be the perfect fit to enhance my study skills. I hope we both get it!

amartinezz43

10+ Year Member
          Apr 15, 2007
          TX
          www.myspace.com
          1. Medical Student
            GoingDaDistance ,

no i havent gotten an email yet saying to check my status. but i just randomly checked my status page yesterday(sat) and i dont know wat to think cuz my status page said file closed and the details link took me to a page that said " we have recently recieved your application from the amcas. after careful review of your application, we have decided not to offer you admission for the 2007 entering class." so im wondering if this is the rejection letter for medpath cuz i didnt get an email to check my status + the stuff about recently recieving my application is kinda wierd. can you check and see if your status page says the same thing??? thanx

GoingDaDistance

10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Dec 1, 2006
            Los Angeles ---> Columbus, Ohio.
            1. Medical Student
              .... So I just checked my status page... and it still says:

Application Status About
              Your current status is: MedPath Interview Invitation
              View your status details.
              Secondary application Received

... So now you officially got me more nervous than I was before Martinez... Hopefully, there's someone out there who can give us some more feed back...:(

amartinezz43

10+ Year Member
              Apr 15, 2007
              TX
              www.myspace.com
              1. Medical Student
                .... So I just checked my status page... and it still says:

Application Status About
                Your current status is: MedPath Interview Invitation
                View your status details.
                Secondary application Received

... So now you officially got me more nervous than I was before Martinez... Hopefully, there's someone out there who can give us some more feed back...:(

hey distance,
                i emailed the admissions office and they said they mailed out letters sometime last week so we should be getting something by us mail. so in my case im not sure if the online status page is a forshadowing of my rejection....:( . i also emailed chris yash with the same question and she said she would check w/ the admissions office on my status and get back to me(who knows when that will be??)....so i guess more waiting, let me know if you hear anything or if your status changes, later

kjivey

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Jul 27, 2006
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  My status page reads: filed closed.
                  However, at my interview, some of the fourth year students, who were past medpathers, told me that the status page read as filed closed, but not to worry. I means that the admissions committee has finished review of your file and a letter has been mailed. Also keep in mind that no one is flat out rejected from medpath. Half of those that interviewed will be accepted and the other half will be alternates.

About the Ads

amartinezz43

10+ Year Member
                  Apr 15, 2007
                  TX
                  www.myspace.com
                  1. Medical Student
                    hi guys,

where exactly is the medpath program at? is it at a specific school? sorry, im new to this medpath thread and I've never heard of it...any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

medpath is a program from the ohio state univ college of medicine. in short, its a postbacc program where u take a full load of classes: genetics, microbio, histo, biochemistry. the goal is to maintain a gpa of atleast 3.0 and do well enough on the mcat(theres a sliding scale,i.e. gpa 3.0, mcat 24 thru gpa 3.4 mcat 20) so the higher ur gpa during the program the lower your mcat score can be. if u meet these requirements your pretty much automatically accepted into medical school the following yr. i think that pretty much sums it up. if i missed somthing someoone help me out....

About the Ads

amartinezz43

10+ Year Member
                    Apr 15, 2007
                    TX
                    www.myspace.com
                    1. Medical Student
                      Martinez, are you going in the program for sure!?!

... Waiting on any other options?

im in for sure, in fact i already sent in the agreement(just a little anxious dont u think,haha)...this opportunity was the last option for me since i got denied to the other medschool i interviewed at. ofcourse the other option is to wait and reapply, but i figure if i have to wait a year(maybe even 2) to reapply why not do medpath and have a chance to go to one of the leading medschools in the country. im sure u know it was ranked in the top 35. wat about u?

NRAI2001

3K Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Nov 6, 2001
                      Cali
                        Can you still apply to this program?

So what is the program like? Do you take first year med courses? Is there a minimum GPA that must be kept in the program to make it into the med school? What are the application requirements?

Thanks.

amartinezz43

10+ Year Member
                        Apr 15, 2007
                        TX
                        www.myspace.com
                        1. Medical Student
                          Can you still apply to this program?

So what is the program like? Do you take first year med courses? Is there a minimum GPA that must be kept in the program to make it into the med school? What are the application requirements?

Thanks.

medpath is a program from the ohio state univ college of medicine. in short, its a postbacc program where u take a full load of classes: genetics, microbio, histo, biochemistry. the goal is to maintain a gpa of atleast 3.0 and do well enough on the mcat(theres a sliding scale,i.e. gpa 3.0, mcat 24 thru gpa 3.4 mcat 20) so the higher ur gpa during the program the lower your mcat score can be. if u meet these requirements your pretty much automatically accepted into medical school the following yr. i think that pretty much sums it up. if i missed somthing someoone help me out....

NRAI2001

3K Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Nov 6, 2001
                          Cali

Thanks. .Can anyone apply or is it only for certain groups (URMS? People who interviewed? people whom the school recommends)?

Link to the programs website?

kjivey

10+ Year Member
                            7+ Year Member
                            Jul 27, 2006
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              Thanks. .Can anyone apply or is it only for certain groups (URMS? People who interviewed? people whom the school recommends)?

Link to the programs website?

You have to apply to Ohio State med school, and then be recommended by the admissions committee to apply to MedPath. Anyone can be recommended for the program, but mostly URM participate in MedPath.

About the Ads

garfpa

10+ Year Member
                              Jun 16, 2007
                              1. Pre-Medical
                                I got the same email yesterday. I got so excited...well I guess we have to wait ANOTHER week! Im so glad to find some people that are applying this yr...it felt kinda lonely for a while!

Medcool

10+ Year Member
                                Mar 3, 2008
                                1. Pre-Medical
                                  I know. I got that email too.EXCITED!! I think they register u in princetonreview to retake the mcat in april. I've been on these forums looking for new ppl. Glad I found you all. Btw I spoke to someone and they said about 90-100 ppl get the medpath letter and ~30 get interviewed and 12-15 of those get accepted. FYI good luck guys keep posting

lottaluv

10+ Year Member
                                  Oct 29, 2007
                                  1. Attending Physician
                                    I've been waitlisted at a couple of med schools for 2008 entering class so I applied to the Medpath program. It looks like a great program. I'm also anxiously waiting to see if I get an interview invite. I understand that you must successfully complete the coursework and retake the MCAT to enter medschool in the fall of 2009 but does anyone know what the MCAT score cutoff is? And when during the year do they suggest you take the MCAT?? If anyone who has done MedPath can reply that would be great!

garfpa

10+ Year Member
                                    Jun 16, 2007
                                    1. Pre-Medical
                                      You take the MCAT in april, I think the numbers are not hard to get (i doubt they want you to get a 40!) . i heard from a MEDPATH student that you as long as you have a good gpa an ave mcat will do. He also said the success rate is 100%! which is amazing!:)
                                      I can't wait to hear from them. It sucks to know that when they say "end of the week" they really mean END OF THE WK!:(

MUOH1403

10+ Year Member
                                      7+ Year Member
                                      Mar 1, 2008
                                      1. Pre-Medical
                                        So, I'm confused...Can you directly apply to the medpath program without being recommended by the committee or not? From the website it looks like they are really just looking for people from "minority and/or disadvantaged backgrounds" and doesn't really look like you can apply directly to the program. Can anyone clarify this?? I interviewed at OSU 3/3 and should hear something soon....

garfpa

10+ Year Member
                                        Jun 16, 2007
                                        1. Pre-Medical
                                          you have to be recommended by the adcom for medpath, and the deadline was 2/15, so if you didn't get an a recommendation i doubt you would get an invite, specially if you got an interview (reg admissions).
                                          Good luck, I hope you hear good news from them!:)

Medcool

10+ Year Member
                                          Mar 3, 2008
                                          1. Pre-Medical
                                            Also speaking to a present medpather, I understand that the mcat that you need to get towards the end of the program is dependent on the gpa that you receive in the program. So the higher your gpa the lower your mcat can be and the lower your gpa in the program the higher your mcat must be.

Medcool

10+ Year Member
                                            Mar 3, 2008
                                            1. Pre-Medical
                                              I think I submitted mine sometime in January also. Garfpa don't stress though. The email did say that they will send invitations until the end of the week(the week is not over yet). Ill keep my fingers crossed for u. Btw congrats chuck and everyone who got notification so far. Chuck when is your date?

milenko

10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Mar 18, 2008
                                              montana
                                              1. Pre-Medical
                                                I have an interview for the medpath program 4-7-08 and I have a question. Has anyone contacted the Medpath office to see if they can stay with a current medpath student? Has anyone from a previous year stayed with a medpath student. I am thinking about doing it but am a little hesitant and would love some feedback. Thanks

Medcool

10+ Year Member
                                                Mar 3, 2008
                                                1. Pre-Medical
                                                  It can't hurt and you save at least 100 bucks not booking a hotel. Also the medpather could give you some REAL insight regarding the interview process and the program overall. Its normal to be reluctant about staying with a stranger but remember they were once where you were and I'm sure the office has selected them for a reason ;)

About the Ads
                                                  This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                  7. This thread is locked.