Ohio State - MEDPATH questions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a few MEDPATH questions if anyone doesn't mind addressing, especially if you were in MEDPATH and already completed MS-1.

This program has piqued my interest for a few reasons. It seems that it would be an excellent lead in to Ohio State medical school, and might serve to make MS-1 a little more bearable. As a non-trad I have really been working hard to meticulously plan out my next few years of undergrad both in terms of cost, time, and maximizing my ability to med school acceptance. My absolute best option is to finish up my bachelors in public safety management, then I have a few options...

Option 1 involves me doing all of my science/math pre-reqs at the community college I'm at now (they have a lead-in to a 4 year college for me to get my public safety admin degree) then doing MEDPATH. This will serve to "prove" that I can handle "university level science", it will also obviously lead into a spot at Ohio State. This program hopefully also serves as a more solid foundation for MS-1 than just going in right after my pre-reqs are done.

Option 2 involves doing my pre-reqs as above, but then just applying to several medical schools and going that route..

Option 3 involves finding an organized post-bacc program in my area to do all of my science pre-reqs. Unfortunately I believe the only programs in my area are at University of Cinci and University of Toledo. Both are a far drive and neither are actually linked to their medical school programs (as far as I know).

The downsides to MEDPATH as I see them
1. It requires all med school pre-reqs to be done, including MCAT.. I'm thinking ahead here, but if I come through my pre-reqs with a solid GPA and end up with a good MCAT, am I wasting a year that could have been spent in medical school?
2. Adds more cost to my overall student loan.
3. With 15 spots per year, at that point I'd be putting all my eggs into one basket. With that level of competition I'd have a lot to lose if I didn't get accepted.

So, MEDPATH students, can I get your input on this scenario. I did try reading the MEDPATH thread already on here, but it was really more of a discussion of the application/acceptances of others..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there... just a quick tid-bit of advice - you can not directly apply to the MEDPATH program; you must apply to the OSU-COM first because Medpath applicants are selected from that larger pool of medical school applicants (think AMCAS application)....so, in other words, get your pre-reqs finished, take the MCAT and apply to medical school (if you feel that you ready/adequately prepared)...

Option 1 and Option 2 that you've pointed out are not mutually exclusive scenarios - one process has to occur first (applying to medical school) before the other (getting selected to apply to Medpath) can happen...

I can't speak to any of the downsides of the program cuz I'm not a member, however, if you did read our thread for 2010 then you'll remember a current MP'er chimed in to answer questions and offer advice...my suggestion to you would be to PM this person.

Good luck!:)

Ok thanks I appreciate it.. I will admit that at 10 pages, I didn't actually read the entire thread.. I'll look through it again :)