Ohio State Prereq Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

condoleezarice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio State says they need 9 of 13 semesters of prerequisites done by application time. This is sort of unique because they have so many preqs, such as Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, and Microbiology.

How strict are they about this? I will only have 8 by application time.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about resurrecting something from the dead, but hey, at least I used the search function :p I have this same question. For those of you who have applied to OSU recently, have any of you applied before having 9/13 and 90 credits completed and still been considered/accepted? I as well will only have 8/13 semesters and abou 85 credit hours. I'd love to apply to OSU but I won't waste my money if this is a black and white disqualifier. Thanks.

good work on the search function. :cool: I'm not sure if it's black and white on having 9 of 13 completed. I do know that OSU uses a formula to rank their applicants on the order of interview, and every prereq that you are missing counts against you. So with that in mind I would definitely encourage you to complete all of your prereqs before application time so that you're not at a disadvantage. They are definitely strict about completing the prereqs before admission, I have a "conditional" acceptance until I complete microbiology. Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about resurrecting something from the dead, but hey, at least I used the search function :p I have this same question. For those of you who have applied to OSU recently, have any of you applied before having 9/13 and 90 credits completed and still been considered/accepted? I as well will only have 8/13 semesters and abou 85 credit hours. I'd love to apply to OSU but I won't waste my money if this is a black and white disqualifier. Thanks.

I would email admissions. Is it possible to take a summer class? OSU really wants people who will have their BA/BS by the time school starts the following September

Freeskier02 you act like you know everything man... jk bro. Actually, OSU will rank you on however many prereqs you have completed. For example, Of those 13 required courses... if you were to have all completed they would give you a "100%" in that section of the application criteria, which would give you a higher ranking than other applicants who only had, let say... 8 of those prereqs done, who might only end up with like a 40%. Don't quote me, but if I remember right, when you fall below the 50% I don't think they consider your application....especially, because there are tons of competitive applicants who have completed all or most of the courses required. For every class you don't have completed, they will dock you certain percentages like 10% or 20%, depending on if its a full yr or just a single semester. As mentioned before, make sure to get as many of those classes completed before applications are sent out... i'm not sure how they consider classes that are currently being taken, i.e. summer classes, etc.... Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I would email admissions. Is it possible to take a summer class? OSU really wants people who will have their BA/BS by the time school starts the following September

Well I'll be graduating Summer 2012 so I'll have my BS before school starts no problem. I'm just taking off this Spring to dedicate that time to DAT studying, and resuming classes in the Summer 2011. I don't think it would be to my advantage (am I wrong?) to hold my application until the end of August since the grade submission deadline for Summer classes is Aug 19th. That would be the only way to have the newly completed classes reflect on my application as far as I know. I think maybe I will just e-mail them.

Your application will be round filed if you haven't completed at least 9 prerequisites. Your best bet is to try to complete courses in the summer and apply as soon as the transcripts become available. OSU's application deadline is usually mid September.

Waiting until August is risky but not the end of the world. By that time it takes about 6-8 weeks for your AADSAS application to reach the OSU admissions office. Then add on another week or so before it's scored.

You'll probably be out of the running for the first two interview events. But in the end you need to have at least 9 of 13 semesters of prerequisites completed or your application won't even be considered.