Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ohio University COM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mrsmac, Apr 30, 2004.

1. mrsmac

mrsmac Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys,

I live in Ohio and was wondering if anyone knew about OUCOM? What is Athens like? I'd really like to apply there.

Thanks,

mrsmac ;)

2. DoctorDoogie4

DoctorDoogie4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Mac,

OUCOM is a great school. The only downfall I see with the school is that lack of stellar rotation sites that other DO schools are better at. However, OUCOM is an excellent school. I chose NSUCOM over OUCOM because of the clinical rotation sites but now looking back...it's a regret. OUCOM cheap tuition plus the academics associated wtih a large univeristy and excellent administration...I would seriously look very hard at that school....Athens is a great college town. Loved the scenery when I went there. Man...I miss Ohio.

Doogie

3. Shinken

Shinken Family Medicine
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, the rotation sites were one of the main factors in my decision to attend OU-COM. There are at least three hospitals where you can rotate at that have been ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the US.

mrsmac, if you're really interested in OU-COM call the office of admissions and schedule a tour. They'll be happy to show off the school.

4. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Here is a link to the website of the CORE sites. It will give you information about the rotation sites that the school has. I can tell you that OUCOM has a pretty good reputation (at least in the area that I am from). I know a lot of doctors that have graduated from there and are very good doctors. As far as Athens goes it is pretty much the college and that's about it. It is a pretty rural area with the closest "urban" area probably being Marietta which is 1.5 hrs away. It does have a lot of resources available to you as a student because it is associated with OU. They have a great rec center, really nice bike trail, and many other ammenities that you can take advantage of. As I already stated it is a pretty rural area. The campus is beautiful, but let's face it the town is a bit run down. The people around town seem to be really friendly. The facilities at the COM itself are top-notch IMHO. They have a really nice learning resource center, new OMM lab, and they are very technologically advanced. The only thing that I didn't like when I was there was the anatomy lab. Of course I interviewed there a couple of weeks after being to WVSOM which has one of the nicest anatomy labs in the country.

5. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]