Ohio University COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsmac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I live in Ohio and was wondering if anyone knew about OUCOM? What is Athens like? I'd really like to apply there.

Thanks,

mrsmac ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mac,

OUCOM is a great school. The only downfall I see with the school is that lack of stellar rotation sites that other DO schools are better at. However, OUCOM is an excellent school. I chose NSUCOM over OUCOM because of the clinical rotation sites but now looking back...it's a regret. OUCOM cheap tuition plus the academics associated wtih a large univeristy and excellent administration...I would seriously look very hard at that school....Athens is a great college town. Loved the scenery when I went there. Man...I miss Ohio.

Doogie

DoctorDoogie4 said:
OUCOM is a great school. The only downfall I see with the school is that lack of stellar rotation sites that other DO schools are better at.

Actually, the rotation sites were one of the main factors in my decision to attend OU-COM. There are at least three hospitals where you can rotate at that have been ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the US.

mrsmac, if you're really interested in OU-COM call the office of admissions and schedule a tour. They'll be happy to show off the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shinken said:
Actually, the rotation sites were one of the main factors in my decision to attend OU-COM. There are at least three hospitals where you can rotate at that have been ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the US.

mrsmac, if you're really interested in OU-COM call the office of admissions and schedule a tour. They'll be happy to show off the school.

Here is a link to the website of the CORE sites. It will give you information about the rotation sites that the school has. I can tell you that OUCOM has a pretty good reputation (at least in the area that I am from). I know a lot of doctors that have graduated from there and are very good doctors. As far as Athens goes it is pretty much the college and that's about it. It is a pretty rural area with the closest "urban" area probably being Marietta which is 1.5 hrs away. It does have a lot of resources available to you as a student because it is associated with OU. They have a great rec center, really nice bike trail, and many other ammenities that you can take advantage of. As I already stated it is a pretty rural area. The campus is beautiful, but let's face it the town is a bit run down. The people around town seem to be really friendly. The facilities at the COM itself are top-notch IMHO. They have a really nice learning resource center, new OMM lab, and they are very technologically advanced. The only thing that I didn't like when I was there was the anatomy lab. Of course I interviewed there a couple of weeks after being to WVSOM which has one of the nicest anatomy labs in the country.

DORoe It is a pretty rural area with the closest "urban" area probably being Marietta which is 1.5 hrs away. [/QUOTE said:
Ahh, but you are wrong Columbus is a pretty major metropolitan area and its a 73 mile drive :)

OU is my second choice for DO schools for this upcoming cycle, that of course may change depending on where (if) I get accepted. Furthermore, I am not really sure if the out of state tuition at PCOM is really worth it over OUCOM. So, OU may get bumped to #1

However, there is no comparison between Athens and Philly. If you like having a "mall" who's biggest store is a Kroger (a grocery store for those of you that dont know), then you will love Athens. As was said earlier, the town is rather run down, and the "townies" can give you trouble from time to time. OU does have an absolutely beautiful rec center and its a nice campus to look at, very similar to Miami in Oxford if you have been there before. Too bad Oxford doesnt have a DO schoo, Id be all over that....

I am speaking from experience, not speculation so take it with a grain of salt.