OHSU Nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittlePuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Would anyone have any information regarding OHSU’s admission process for nontrad? Are they generally in favor of nontrads? Do they look at the applicant holistically, or put a heavy emphasis on grades. And how would they consider gGPA?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It's in Portland and they matriculate around 75% in state. That said it, is still a competitive program. You can only work on improving your application from where you currently are, so it doesn't matter how "friendly" they are. You go through the same application process. You need to be ready and put your best foot forward. Not much you can do besides be ready, prepare, apply and write a good PS.

LMGTFY --> you'll see some interesting stuff.

best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
there are really good about really outstanding nontrads and diversity, but that said, they are still very heavily skewed in-state or in-region

also, not that forgiving about cGPA unless you represent a real niche of diversity for that part of the US (Native American, refugee status, African American, come to my mind)

Hi All,
Current non-traditional student here. I agree with past statements that they aren't super forgiving of cumulative GPA, but seem to be very forgiving in terms of MCAT score for non-traditionals. I can speak from experience with a cGPA of 3.8, sGPA of 3.7, but very low MCAT score for a school of this caliber.
I have received a lot of support through OHSU's coaching program (which they are piloting for other schools please see: Colleges Advising). I have outside family items I have to take care of and so far the school has been very good about working around that .With that being said I like to give full honesty when doing these forums - we recently had a student drop out of school who was a single parent because OHSU did not provide them with nearly enough leeway in terms of reorganizing tests and working around their scheduled.

I feel the school is extremely friendly to non-traditionals - I would say about half of our class is represented by non-traditional students whether that be older than average med students, parents, those who had careers prior, those who took time off, etc. You see a VAST difference in this school with an average entering age of 26 instead of 22 like a lot of other medical schools with similar research caliber and ranking caliber. OHSU looks at the whole person not just your grades, and I feel truly cares about you.

Reactions: 3 users