OHSU vs emory vs Santa clara ( last minutes help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rad review 1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Still can't decided between Emory vs OHSU vs Santa Clara in San Jose ...

I would like to live in west coast eventually ... May be California .

Does anyone know the call schedule in OHSU vs emory as well ?

Members don't see this ad.

I know very little about Santa Clara so can't speak to their program. That said....clearly Emory is the best program on your list and may help out (a little) if you're interested in an academic career. However, if you're wanting to end up in California I would say your best shot of that (by far) is getting trained in California. If you feel that you could get a good training at Santa Clara then I would say go there.

On the flip side, you could always do your fellowship in California but I would imagine (and take this with a grain of salt cuz I'm still an MS4) you would make better connections by spending 4 years in an area rather than 1.

Good luck, and I'm sure any of those will give you great training!! (I interviewed at the first two and know those will for sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Still can't decided between Emory vs OHSU vs Santa Clara in San Jose ...

I would like to live in west coast eventually ... May be California .

Does anyone know the call schedule in OHSU vs emory as well ?

If you want to be in California - ESPECIALLY the Bay Area, then Santa Clara hands down. I'm not sure how much outside of the Bay Area Santa Clara residents get, but if California alone is good enough for you, then Santa Clara should be the highest. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
am thinking that Emory would give far better training and reputation than santa clara.

I know very little about Santa Clara so can't speak to their program. That said....clearly Emory is the best program on your list and may help out (a little) if you're interested in an academic career. However, if you're wanting to end up in California I would say your best shot of that (by far) is getting trained in California. If you feel that you could get a good training at Santa Clara then I would say go there.

On the flip side, you could always do your fellowship in California but I would imagine (and take this with a grain of salt cuz I'm still an MS4) you would make better connections by spending 4 years in an area rather than 1.

Good luck, and I'm sure any of those will give you great training!! (I interviewed at the first two and know those will for sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. Finding a random fellowship somewhere in California is doable but finding the fellowship that you like in a decent program won't be easy.

IR, mammo and MSK fellowships are hard to get and most fill internally. Look at Stanford for example. Its MSK fellowship fills internally most of the time and at most only one spot is filled externally by a candidate who is a resident at a local program in Cali with good connections.

Look at IR fellows in California. Most of them are graduates of same program or local programs.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's important to you to live in California, then it's much easier to do coming from a California program. Santa Clara Valley is a solid community program with a good overall reputation, and likely has good connections to fellowships and jobs in the area.

That said, the other programs have better national reputations and would be better if you want to do academics.

Thank you guys!!

I finally ranked all my California choices on the top of my list...

I searched for the life after residency in all my California programs including the small community programs ... All of the trainees are able to get into a top notch fellowship in California... ( UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA)

So I guess it is better to train in Cali if anyone wants to settle down in Cali eventually .

If it's important to you to live in California, then it's much easier to do coming from a California program. Santa Clara Valley is a solid community program with a good overall reputation, and likely has good connections to fellowships and jobs in the area.

That said, the other programs have better national reputations and would be better if you want to do academics.
habk