OHSU vs. Minn. ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtdent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After several weeks of weighing my options, I still can not make a decision...OHSU or Minnesota. So I'm seeking your opinion.

If you are planning on attending or have considered either of these schools, I would appreciate you comments. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will attend OHSU this fall and believe that it has a fantastic clinical program. I am biased because I live in Oregon and know nothing about Minnesota's school but based solely upon location I would pick Oregon any day!!

Know nothing about OHSU, but know quite a bit about Univ of MN Dental School. Great dental school, but old facilities. Great environment to learn (aside from the cold winters). The 6 years that I was there for undergrad, never once they shut the school down for a snow day even in the -50 windchill weather and an inch of ice on all the highways.

The dental school has a very strong research foundation and the board scores are respectable. Matching rate into specialties are impressive and licensure board (CRDTS) passing rate is also top notch. FYI, the state of Minnesota just passed this past year in its legislature that dental graduates now are able to choose to do a year of Post-doctorate residency (GPR or AEGD) instead of taking the CRDTS. Minnesota is one of two state in the US that is allowing this, the other state is New York.

You'll get to interact with other health professions students since you all will be in the same building (Moos Towers). Aside from education, you'll also be in a wonderful beautiful city of Minneapolis. A lot of things to do for social and family events. It's a great family city as well as a party city.

If you don't mind the winter and you want a great dental education in a fun city, then MN will be a great choice. I decided not to apply to MN dental because I do not want to stay there another 4 years after already 6!

Good luck in choosing a school. Go where you can see yourself being happy for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose OHSU if I were you. My undergrad school was in that area, Portland is an amazing city, you will truly love it there.

And I have heard the school is great too.

I think you should highly consider Minnesota. I will be matriculating this fall. It seems like a great school that gives a good overall education. The only downside to the whole program is the old facilities, this however, is a minor part of education. They seem to be very well trained clinically. If you are looking to specialize they have a very high match rate, and lots of research opportunities. The city is fantastic...so much to do. If you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime.

The only downside to the whole program is the old facilities
We also learn a great deal of old school stuff, that they really can't let go of. Other than that the school and faculty are pretty good for the most part. They give you a great foundation but you really have to seek out the profs who are doing the cutting edge stuff.