Oiling dental handpieces at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mynameisno

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a makeshift dental operatory set up at home to practice some hand skills. For people with a similar setup at home, what oil do you use for the handpieces? Do I even need Kavospray or an oil specifically made for dental handpieces since I am only using them on typodonts and not real patients? Is there a cheaper alternative? Thank you!
 
I have a makeshift dental operatory set up at home to practice some hand skills. For people with a similar setup at home, what oil do you use for the handpieces? Do I even need Kavospray or an oil specifically made for dental handpieces since I am only using them on typodonts and not real patients? Is there a cheaper alternative? Thank you!
Honestly if you're only using the handpieces at home and aren't autoclaving I wouldn't even worry about it. I have a couple I use at home that I haven't oiled since D1 yr lol. My clinic handpieces are a different story tho. Get some cheap ones off ebay if you're concerned about your expensive handpieces
 
Honestly if you're only using the handpieces at home and aren't autoclaving I wouldn't even worry about it. I have a couple I use at home that I haven't oiled since D1 yr lol. My clinic handpieces are a different story tho. Get some cheap ones off ebay if you're concerned about your expensive handpieces
lol these r ebay handpieces. thank you, i'll continue as i am and not oil them 🙂