-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ok Dudes, how would you compare Path to Rads?
Started by Ottercreek
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
From what I can tell, there are 25 jobs for every rads graduate while (it would seem from reading this board) there are 25 path grads for every job. Rads people start at 300k a year; path people must pay out of their own pocket for the honor of looking at slides all day.
That about sums it up.
Judd
That about sums it up.
Judd
From what I can tell, there are 25 jobs for every rads graduate while (it would seem from reading this board) there are 25 path grads for every job. Rads people start at 300k a year; path people must pay out of their own pocket for the honor of looking at slides all day.
That about sums it up.
Judd
both have other specialties hiring them
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I can tell, there are 25 jobs for every rads graduate while (it would seem from reading this board) there are 25 path grads for every job. Rads people start at 300k a year; path people must pay out of their own pocket for the honor of looking at slides all day.
That about sums it up.
Judd
So apparently when you say "From what I can tell", we should read that as "I have NO idea what so ever, but"
There are more radiology jobs, there are also more radiology residents.
There are pathology jobs and we do get paid for them.
Radiology is mostly about extent of disease, making diagnosis on radiology is always a hedge. Where as pathology is definative. (I guess for bone, radiology is pretty good.)
The lifestyles are similar, radiology gets CT(ultrasound) guided procedures, we get FNAs (sometimes). Both have little to no extended patient contract...
Have you rotated on both, what did you like about them?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198420
follow the links
this:
follow the links
this:
is wrong.while (it would seem from reading this board) there are 25 path grads for every job.
OC
Last edited:
B
b&ierstiefel
Hey OC,
what kind of research do you wanna do during residency? basic or clinical/translational?
i dunno what kind of research you did for you PhD but lemme tell you...you're not going to have time to do basic science benchwork DURING residency ...
UNLESS:
1) You're CP only and your CP program is a joke.
2) The surgical pathology volume at your residency program is low and you have lots of free time on your hands.
If you wanna do clinical and translational projects, this is actually more manageable during residency. There are quite a few folks at my program who are involved in good, interesting clinical/translational projects.
Recommendations for programs outside of Boston and the South? Well, if you're into programs that have strong track records of mentoring physician-scientists, look into the following programs:
Penn - highly recommended
WashU - very strong in research.
Chicago - very up and coming.
UCSF - extremely highly recommended...if I were to apply again, I would've ranked them #1 or #2.
Stanford - two words...Irv Weissman - you wanna do pioneering stem cell research, do a postdoc here.
UWash - I've heard great things about this program...they're attracting quite a few MD/PhD folks these days.
Sure, there are other programs that are strong clinically...strong volume, good teachers, blah blah blah...but they train clinicians and don't have strong track records of mentoring scientists...and the overall research in those departments may be far from reputable.
what kind of research do you wanna do during residency? basic or clinical/translational?
i dunno what kind of research you did for you PhD but lemme tell you...you're not going to have time to do basic science benchwork DURING residency ...
UNLESS:
1) You're CP only and your CP program is a joke.
2) The surgical pathology volume at your residency program is low and you have lots of free time on your hands.
If you wanna do clinical and translational projects, this is actually more manageable during residency. There are quite a few folks at my program who are involved in good, interesting clinical/translational projects.
Recommendations for programs outside of Boston and the South? Well, if you're into programs that have strong track records of mentoring physician-scientists, look into the following programs:
Penn - highly recommended
WashU - very strong in research.
Chicago - very up and coming.
UCSF - extremely highly recommended...if I were to apply again, I would've ranked them #1 or #2.
Stanford - two words...Irv Weissman - you wanna do pioneering stem cell research, do a postdoc here.
UWash - I've heard great things about this program...they're attracting quite a few MD/PhD folks these days.
Sure, there are other programs that are strong clinically...strong volume, good teachers, blah blah blah...but they train clinicians and don't have strong track records of mentoring scientists...and the overall research in those departments may be far from reputable.
Get 3 or 4. One from your PhD mentor. One from a pathologist. One from somebody else. A 4th letter for sh*ts and giggles if you can snag one...but make sure all your letters are strong.How many recommendations...?
I did a post sophomore fellowship because I was interested in path, didn't know much about it, and wanted to experience it more. After a couple of months of my PSF my previous plans of IM went out the door, and it was crystallized when I experienced FLOOR MEDICINE. Office based medicine=ok. Floor medicine=hell.
Most big university type path programs will be willing to work with research-minded people to find elective time for them to do research. Of course, if you want to do any other electives, maybe not so much. But a lot of the main programs will also try to get you extra research time perhaps after your official residency, as a sort of fellowship.
Most big university type path programs will be willing to work with research-minded people to find elective time for them to do research. Of course, if you want to do any other electives, maybe not so much. But a lot of the main programs will also try to get you extra research time perhaps after your official residency, as a sort of fellowship.
Both seem to have their similarities, can anyone comment how they see rads having any advantages/disadvanatges over Path? I'm considering both right now...
Thanks,OC
Path is far far more lifestyle oriented. Rads has regular call, even at the end of your career. Dunno if you guys know this but they slashed the tech component for stand alone MRI centers to such a degree that many will not be able to continue operating. In terms of jobs, rads is definitely better. Path has been training WAY THE ****FooK (excuse my french) too many people for too long. IF path got its crap together and changed the labor dynamics, it would be a better gig than rads, no question.
You will get 100K more a year in rads at least. You will also have lots of jobs in lots of desirable locations to pick from, especially if you land a top training program.
Path and rads are really different tho, I would guess there are about 4-5 radiologists to every one pathologist in a hospital, so if you cant play nice with others path maybe a better bet.
Q
Last edited:
Ahhh UCSF, Stanford what a nice dream....
What do you guys know about the molecular diagnostics path fellowships? Jobs available in the area?
Anybody who can ID this gets a free CD:
"I was a fiend before I became a teen
I melted microphone instead of cones of ice cream
Music orientated so when hip-hop was originated
Fitted like pieces of puzzles, complicated
cause I grabbed the mic and try to say, yes yall!
They tried to take it, and say that Im too small
Cool, cause I dont get upset
I kick a hole in the speaker, pull the plug, then I jet
Back to the lab ...without a mic to grab
So then I add all the rhymes I had
One after the other one, then I make another one
To dis the opposite then ask if the brothers done
I get a craving like I fiend for nicotine
But I dont need a cigarette, know what I mean? "
rage against the machine - microphone fiend
You gotta learn your history my friend. This be Rakim dropping back in the 80's. RATM covered this? how funny.
Go buy Eric B and Rakim's Follow the Leader ASAP
Go buy Eric B and Rakim's Follow the Leader ASAP
You gotta learn your history my friend. This be Rakim dropping back in the 80's. RATM covered this? how funny.
Go buy Eric B and Rakim's Follow the Leader ASAP
Ol' Skool. That's what I'm talking about. Enjoy the video:
http://www.youtube.com/w/Rakim---Microphone-Fiend?v=YfdG-JpxGS8&search=rakim
I love RATM, but their rendition/cover does not have the same fire as Eric B. and Rakim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8gagN1giEc&mode=related&search=
No need to thank me!😀 😍
Ol' Skool. That's what I'm talking about. Enjoy the video:
http://www.youtube.com/w/Rakim---Microphone-Fiend?v=YfdG-JpxGS8&search=rakim
I love RATM, but their rendition/cover does not have the same fire as Eric B. and Rakim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8gagN1giEc&mode=related&search=
No need to thank me!😀 😍
Man I feel old if you calling either of the two old school

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man I feel old if you calling either of the two old school![]()
Nah, you are allright...ol' skool meaning ol' skool hip-hop; they don't rap like that anymore. Eric B and Rakim had "Lyrics of Fury" literally....Nowadays you have knuckleheads making a whole rap song declaring "yo B* get out the way...I mean how deep is that? 🙁
SUPA XTRA DOPE! Thanks for that link!!
You gotta learn your history my friend. This be Rakim dropping back in the 80's. RATM covered this? how funny.
Go buy Eric B and Rakim's Follow the Leader ASAP
haha... yeah, prob a little before my time! cool to know. never knew it was a cover!
Wow.
There are many times when I thank God I am a nerd and know nothing about hip hop and current slang. This is one of those times.
There are many times when I thank God I am a nerd and know nothing about hip hop and current slang. This is one of those times.
All you need is UrbanDictionary.com!Wow.
There are many times when I thank God I am a nerd and know nothing about hip hop and current slang. This is one of those times.
All you need is UrbanDictionary.com!
This site kicks ass. I hear my 16 and 17 year-old brothers come home using new "terminology" and then I immediately look it up.
So apparently when you say "From what I can tell", we should read that as "I have NO idea what so ever, but"
You blowhard!!!!! Of course I have no idea. I'm a third year medical student. My post was meant to be funny.
Judd
Again. . . .kidding!!!!
Judd
Again. . . .kidding!!!!
Judd
Avoid misleading salary/job posts - for every one that gets posted, 15 users treat it as gospel and then we have to deal with "why are pathology jobs so hard to find?" "Do I have to do three fellowships to get a job?" and the like.
Those posts are annoying.
Q
Last edited: