Ok here I go A New "what do you think" post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, its comming to the end of the season, and Ive done all I can to apply to my top choice schools. Ive got a 3.4 GPA, a M.S. and a publication history MCAT 27. Ive taught classes in Anatomy and Physiology (not a TA an Instrutor) and I am extremely interested in Osteopathic Medicine. I have been waitlisted at CCOM and have had several other interviews at schools who have given NO love. Is there anything out there that other applicants are doing/would suggest that I do to let my schools know that I really really want to become a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, its comming to the end of the season, and Ive done all I can to apply to my top choice schools. Ive got a 3.4 GPA, a M.S. and a publication history MCAT 27. Ive taught classes in Anatomy and Physiology (not a TA an Instrutor) and I am extremely interested in Osteopathic Medicine. I have been waitlisted at CCOM and have had several other interviews at schools who have given NO love. Is there anything out there that other applicants are doing/would suggest that I do to let my schools know that I really really want to become a physician.

Did you apply late? Your application sounds pretty strong. If you haven't already, send CCOM a letter of intent. I hope it works out for you. Good luck!:luck:

Wait....what are your other ECs? Do you have any clinical/shadowing experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested in hearing more about your app. ECs? Clinical Experience? When did you apply? Did you have any osteopathic experiences (shadowing, etc.)?

Where did you teach A&P? I am curious about that because I am a college biology instructor (but I've taught many classes over several years) and plan on using that as one of my "selling points".

I've heard of applicants sending "letters of interest" to remind the school that they are their first choice. That might help get you bumped up in the waitlist or at least remind them of your application and further demonstrate dedication... If nothing else, it couldn't hurt.

If you don't have clinical experience, that would be an issue. Also, did you apply broadly and to a lot of schools?

Sorry I should have said "alternate listed at CCOM" I have volunteered at UIC hospital for the last 14 months and have shadowed 3 physicians extensively (MD). I did send CCOM a letter of intent and have had a DO who I know (and who knows me more importantly) send a recomendation letter. This is the 3rd time Im applying and I just feeling a little down. I will have to take my MCAT AGAIN (3rd time) if I dont get in this year. Honestly, Ive always been a little low in PS but raised my score 4 points on the last MCAT (3 years ago) and my VS fell to an 8. Ive NEVER scored below a 12 practice or otherwise on the MCAT, but the last time felt I got screwed. I applied to about 15 MD schools and 8 DO schools, but I think that my heart really lies with DO.

Sorry I should have said "alternate listed at CCOM" I have volunteered at UIC hospital for the last 14 months and have shadowed 3 physicians extensively (MD). I did send CCOM a letter of intent and have had a DO who I know (and who knows me more importantly) send a recomendation letter. This is the 3rd time Im applying and I just feeling a little down. I will have to take my MCAT AGAIN (3rd time) if I dont get in this year. Honestly, Ive always been a little low in PS but raised my score 4 points on the last MCAT (3 years ago) and my VS fell to an 8. Ive NEVER scored below a 12 practice or otherwise on the MCAT, but the last time felt I got screwed. I applied to about 15 MD schools and 8 DO schools, but I think that my heart really lies with DO.

What is the breakdown on your MCAT? When did you apply? I don't know what to tell you, because from what you've posted your application seems fine.:confused: :luck:

Unfortunately these things are so subjective and that's what makes it so frustrating.

Since you have applied before have you ever talked with any admissions people and specifically asked about your application as far as what they feel needs to be improved or changed? This year is my second year applying and most of the schools I've dealt with (mainly MD) have been willing to talk with me regarding my application, usually after the admissions cycle is over though.

DoctorMom78 said:
I don't know what to tell you, because from what you've posted your application seems fine.

nlax30 said:
Unfortunately these things are so subjective and that's what makes it so frustrating.

Since you have applied before have you ever talked with any admissions people and specifically asked about your application as far as what they feel needs to be improved or changed? This year is my second year applying and most of the schools I've dealt with (mainly MD) have been willing to talk with me regarding my application, usually after the admissions cycle is over though.

I agree with the above, that your numbers appear fine from the information that you gave us and that the process can be subjective. If it's not your numbers, then it might be your essays, your interview style, your lack of certain EC's, etc., or more likely, some combination of factors. You need some direct feedback from a source that has reviewed your entire profile/application. I really think your best bet is to ask the schools directly what is amiss with your application and how to fix it. Otherwise, we are just throwing darts in the dark.

I agree with the above, that your numbers appear fine from the information that you gave us and that the process can be subjective. If it's not your numbers, then it might be your essays, your interview style, your lack of certain EC's, etc., or more likely, some combination of factors. You need some direct feedback from a source that has reviewed your entire profile/application. I really think your best bet is to ask the schools directly what is amiss with your application and how to fix it. Otherwise, we are just throwing darts in the dark.

Absolutely agree!:thumbup:

I have talked to admissions advisors at 3 different schools and was told that " med school os very competative blah...blah...blah..." and that the lacking element was my GPA. With so many credit hours under my belt, my only shot is to raise my MCAT, which could be better anyway. Im not really looking forward to taking it again though. UIC med even told me to learn another language (I speak German pretty well but they said they prefered Hindi or Spanish!?). As far as EC, I have volunteered for over a year at a hospital, tutor, some other volunteer experiences at a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and I have shadowed 3 different physicians, one of whom wrote me a letter of rec and still e-mails me every now and then to see if I got in yet. I guess that my only real option is to score higher on the May 25 MCAT, but does anyone else have any advise as to ECs that are looked upon favorably, or any other advise. Well 4th times a charm.

I have talked to admissions advisors at 3 different schools and was told that " med school os very competative blah...blah...blah..." and that the lacking element was my GPA. With so many credit hours under my belt, my only shot is to raise my MCAT, which could be better anyway. Im not really looking forward to taking it again though. UIC med even told me to learn another language (I speak German pretty well but they said they prefered Hindi or Spanish!?). As far as EC, I have volunteered for over a year at a hospital, tutor, some other volunteer experiences at a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and I have shadowed 3 different physicians, one of whom wrote me a letter of rec and still e-mails me every now and then to see if I got in yet. I guess that my only real option is to score higher on the May 25 MCAT, but does anyone else have any advise as to ECs that are looked upon favorably, or any other advise. Well 4th times a charm.

Your GPA and MCAT are competitive for DO schools and your ECs sound fine. What is the breakdown on your MCAT and when did you apply? Hopefully you will get off of the waitlist at CCOM. I am as perplexed as you are about your situation, so I wonder if it isn't your interview style or something like that. Did you apply to other DO schools besides CCOM? I hope it works out for you. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Is your cumulative undergraduate GPA (not including graduate work) a 3.4? What is your undergraduate science GPA? Keep in mind that many schools use your undergraduate GPA in admissions, not your graduate.

If your UGPA is indeed 3.4 and your undergraduate science GPA is around the same, then your UGPA is competitive for DO schools. Your MCAT score of 27 is also competitive for DO schools, provided no individual sub-test score is too low, but is below average for Allopathic schools (you really need around a 30, or higher, to be competitive for MD schools); in many cases your overall MCAT score is above the mean for a DO matriculant, or hovering around the mean.

Frankly, I'm very puzzled by your lack of a positive response from the Osteopathic schools you applied to. My statistics aren't that different from yours (MCAT 28, Overall UGPA 3.4, Science UGPA 3.4). Although I applied really late in the cycle (November), I received three interviews from Osteopathic medical schools (applied to 10 schools), resulting in an acceptance at one school, a position high on the waitlist at another school (withdrew from the waitlist), and I withdrew from the interview at the third school. Given my own experience, I don't understand your situation. Did you apply super late in the cycle, or not broadly enough? That can really hurt you. You would do well to apply as early as you reasonably can and as broadly as you can. If you got interviews this cycle, but were rejected or waitlisted post-interview, then it's possible that your interview skills are less than optimal; do some mock interviews with experienced folks and ask them for feedback on your interviewing skills. Refine what you can in regards to that. Also, make sure you are demonstrating to the DO schools, during the interview, that you have knowledge about, and specific desire to learn, Osteopathic medicine.

If your UGPA is the problem, as suggested by the admissions folks, then you would do well to raise that statistic and/or showing your academic prowess through taking advanced undergraduate science classes (not graduate). You may not be able to raise your UGPA much, but if you trend straight A's in a fulltime schedule for at least a year taking difficult undergraduate science classes, you should be demonstrating your academic ability, I would think.

It is a good idea to retake the MCAT if you think you can score higher; it can only help, of course. However, keep in mind that both your MCAT and UGPA need to be as high as you can get them. It's a myth that one can make up for the other. They demonstrate different aspects of your academic ability. If you are thinking of reapplying to Allopathic schools, you really need to score a 30+ on your MCAT. Take a look at the 30+ study habits in the SDN MCAT forum and diagnose your MCAT to find out how to raise your score.

In terms of EC's, the two most sought after ones, in my experience, are clinical experience and community service/volunteer work.

I'm at a loss to explain the results of your application, based on what you gave us here. I really don't have enough information to really help you. I hope you can find out what is really going on and are able to address it. I wish you best of luck.