Where do I take the post-bach journey from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello! I'll get the the point. 8 years ago when I was an undergrad I messed up pretty bad. Graduated in 2013. You've heard everyone's sob story so I'll skip it, the main point is I'm grown now and 50 times more mature than I was at 21 years old. Moving forward, 2 years ago (after having totally given up) I started to repair the damage and attempt to chase my dreams by doing a self-made post-bach, the fact of the matter is my GPA was so bad I didnt even bother applying to real post-bachs because I knew I wouldn't get in. I've taken about 41.5 credits so far in my post-bach work (while working full time), all science classes except for one (psychology). All GPAs below will be AACOMAS as DO is literally the only thing I have a pipe dream chance of. Note: I havent taken the MCAT yet as I am saving that for when I get closer to being able to actually apply. I will be paying top dollar (thousands) for a rigorous, time tested prep program.

Stats:

Undergrad cGPA(2013): 2.517

Undergrad sGPA(2013): 2.581

Post-bach cGPA: 3.711

Post-bach sGPA: 3.688

Cumulative cGPA: 2.777

Cumulative sGPA: 2.929

Believe it or not, if grade replacement was still a thing with DO schools I would be competitive right now. I've grown, and im not a -terrible- student anymore

What makes me different than the other applicants:

-I'm black and gay. Not sure if that matters at all but...minority?

-I've been working in the hospital histology laboratory in the pathology department for the last 8 years. (8 years of medical experience does this count as 16,000 clinical hours?)

-I'm an American Society of Clinical Pathology board-certified Histotechnologist, HTL(ASCP) which is what I do at the hospital.

- I have a massive upward trend in my GPA

-I'm willing to go to medical school in literally any country that will allow me to go to residency and practice in the United States.

-I have no financial constraints of any kind

So I know that I still have a metric ton of work to do still but I'm looking for any and all advice of what I could possibly do to keep it moving in the right direction. Anyone willing to offer some constructive advice? What should I do next? SMP/Masters in something random/more undergrad level classes/YOLO application to newer DO school whatever it takes. Advice?

Side note: I'm aware I'm in a loooong marathon and not a sprint thanks to 21 year old me but it is what it is and I'm willing (and finally able) to do the work.

Members don't see this ad.

Solution
The post-bac work is good. Now it's time for a good MCAT score.

I think that going for an SMP would be the best path.
Members don't see this ad :)
The post-bac work is good. Now it's time for a good MCAT score.

I think that going for an SMP would be the best path.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to follow it and try to get into contact with a few programs to see if I can avoid being autoscreened because of the sub 3.0 cumulative cGPA and sGPA. I think it best to approach HBCUs for this as that may give me an added chance? Thanks again.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to follow it and try to get into contact with a few programs to see if I can avoid being autoscreened because of the sub 3.0 cumulative cGPA and sGPA. I think it best to approach HBCUs for this as that may give me an added chance? Thanks again.
Yes

Reactions: 1 user