Ok, here's a wierd one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jhiratzka

I got the following letter today from UC Berkeley: (sorry for the length of this post)

Dear Prospective Applicant:
We received a copy of your application from AMCAS and thank you for your interest in the UC Berkeley/UC San Fransisco Joint Medical Program. I was an error that our school code was listed, as applicants applying to our program must designate the Scool of Medicine at UCSF in order to start the process to apply to the Joint Medical Program.

AMCAS has agreed to refund the additional application fee that you paid to designate our program, and I hope that you have received your refund or credit. If you have not, you should follow up directly with AMCAS.

The letter then gives me instructions on designating UCSF and the address for the additional application for all UC schools.

Here's the problem. I have never heard of the Joint Medical Program, and I certainly did not designate one on my AMCAS. What the hell is this? :confused:

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

Joint medical program will be the MD/PhD combined program doing MD at UCSF and PhD at Berkeley. There are two types of combined program at UCSF, one of which is joint medical thing. I don't know how Berkeley got your AMCAS app though. Probably AMCAS goofed up again.

No, actually the JMP is for a Masters, not a PhD. UCSF has its own MSTP program for MD/PhD.

Yeah, this is true- the JMP is a masters in public health or a related field and an MD from UCSF. You do the first three years at Berkeley - two of which are the basic sciences and one which is the master's thesis - and then finish up your clinical rotations at the UCSF hospitals/affiliates. Hope that helps.